• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have a gaming PC, is there really any reason to own an Xbox?

wbarreda

Yes. If you care about multiplayer you will simply find a stronger population and community around those games on Xbox.

Some games just don't feel right with mouse and keyboard for me either (Gears, Halo, and CoD). I love the option, but I like the controlled context of controller only users online sometimes.

This. Multiplayer populations will be non-existent on the PC since the they use the windows store.

Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo 5: Guardians
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)

The 4k bluray player is the main thing that appeals to me (planning on getting a 4k tv soon). Looking at this list though I have to say none appeal to me--at least none that I can get a similar fix for on PC (e.g., Forza Horizon 3).

Though, UWP on PC is offputting in its own right.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
No. you get all the exclusives from here on out and you don't have to pay for Xbox gold. And you can use an Xbox one controller

wapplew

What if MS do an 180 on play anywhere and stop making PC port? Thy never said all future exclusive will be on PC.

Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC

I typically buy a console for one game and then play what else I can on that platform. I bought a PS3 for MGS4, I own a 3ds entirely for pokemon.I bought the original Xbox for Halo 1 and the Xbox 360 knowing that Halo 3 was coming. Halo 5 is enough reason to own an xbox for me.

YMMV

I buy all my games on PC. I just bought an Xbox 1 S.....for 212 on black friday mainly for the HDR and 4k bluray capablitiy, even though I dont have a 4k tv yet....(only 4k monitor)

cyba89

Steam and PSN both work great. Downloads and installs in particular are much, much better on both platforms than xbox one. Also the sales are dramatically better on both platforms. And both offer a wider variety of games. The more I think about it, the more insane your comment sounds haha.

Xbox Play Anywhere titles won't be on Steam or PSN.

MilkyJoe

If you prefer console form factor and simplicity you get an Xbox, if you want a PC you get a PC. I feel like MS knows this and is embracing it. They might lose a few console sales, but they're keeping people on Windows (the latest version, at that) and potentially selling more software.

People still choose not to get this.

Sydle

Probably should sell it since MS is brining all their games to the PC (your PC will take care of your 3rd party game needs as well) and you have no need for the 4K media capabilities of the XB1S.

I have a 1070 for my PC in my office and a XB1S for the 4KTV in the living room. I'm not ready to give up BC or Halo 5 anytime soon, plus Play Anywhere has been pretty nice and I'm hoping more games adopt it.

Bessy67

I just wonder what will happen if/when MS realized that Windows Store just isn't really working. Will they go back to just putting their games on console or will they release on other PC services like Steam?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not really most of the exclusives have been ported at this point and it looks like MS will try to keep that Exclusives to PC train rolling in the future.
Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)
Besides Raiden V the Xbox 360 BC is nice but I also still have a working 360 still and can wait on Raiden V to see if it pops up anywhere else. Only real big upside here is a 4k BD player but I don't plan on going in on 4k in a while personally.
It just seems like a waste of money to me atm that might change in the future but right now that is the situation for me.

How many times are we going to get this thread? The answer is the same it has always been. If you have friends that game on xbox, you enjoy BC, and/or like gaming with your controller and playing on your TV then keep the Xbox.

Edit: I get that you can play your PC through your TV. Most people don't do that, nor do they want their desktop in their living area. Yeah, you could build something that will look good in your entertainment center or you could exercise some streaming options, but that's not what I got from what the OP is trying to do.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. I sold mine off when I got a gaming PC and haven't regretted it once.

That's only campaign though, correct? Multiplayer is available through PC Forge mode (but may not be populous).

Other than Crackdown 3 (which has disappeared off their website), and Phantom Dust and Fable Fortune (which are both coming to PC), this is "all future exclusives" right now.
I believe you forgot Voodoo Vince.

The biggest reason I still consider getting an Xbox on occasion are (exclusive) multiplayer games.

Like I really want to play Gears 4, but the community on PC is virtually non-existent.

Now if---IF---Gears 4 goes through with this cross-platform play, as well as future games (like Halo Wars 2, Halo 6, Sea of Thieves, etc) having FULL CPP (none of this co-op only bullshit) then I'll stick with PC only, but that's a big if.

or I'll just do without. idk.

gdt

I can't find one. My Xbox 1 sits here useless. Can't think of the next time I'll even turn it on.

I love their new policy of bringing everything to PC though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's only campaign though, correct? Multiplayer is available through PC Forge mode (but may not be populous).

Yeah, I counted Halo 5 as exclusive but not Forza 6 because both of them have half-measure PC releases and I had to draw a line.

I believe you forgot Voodoo Vince.

I don't think that's being published by Microsoft or ever proposed to be exclusive to Xbox One. It's on Steam Greenlight, for example:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=775078847

drotahorror

Sold my xb1 recently. The only game I even actually liked on it that was exclusive was Halo 5.

I couldn't get in to Sunset Overdrive and I love racers but Forza Horizon 2 was boring (just like 3).

If multiplayer is your priority then maybe. but any game that requires controller or feels better with controller can be played with, you guessed it, a xbox 360, xbox one, ps4, and a multitude of other third party controllers. Oh and if you don't like controllers then there is this thing called keyboard and mouse. I personally see zero benefit in having a PC and xbox one. Ps4 and PC makes the most sense to me as I get all of Sony's exclsuvies, multiplatform games, xbox exclusives... At 1440p 60fps.

How many times are we going to get this thread? The answer is the same it has always been. If you have friends that game on xbox, you enjoy BC, and/or like gaming with your controller and playing on your TV then keep the Xbox.

This is what I was thinking honestly . It doesn't seem hard to cause if you end up not using the xbox for a while then just sell it .

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Since going back to PC the only person who uses the XB1 is my son.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've always been a PlayStation guy but had no current gen console, only my PC. I was happy with that, but when Forza Horizon 3 was going to come out, I was super hyped for it and was very excited to get it, despite not having played the previous two. I only had seen a YouTube streamer playing FH2 and having a super blast with it. I knew I could play FH3 on the PC, but I also wanted to playa FH2, and the other console game I had been hugely hyped about was Destiny, and so I thought hey it makes sense to get an Xbox. And then there's also Forza 6 and Rare Replay, which are excellent titles.

Backwards compatibility is also a nice bonus for me, as I coincidentally had around 15 or so 360 games still laying around, and only two of them aren't BC.

I bet on an ebay auction and snagged an Xbox with Kinect sensor (which I left in the box because wtf am I to do with that thing?), two original controllers, one charge pack, and six good games, that were also like new (The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, CoD Black Ops 3, Halo 5, Gears of War Ultimate and Battlefield 4) for €209. I mean at that price, what can you really do wrong? The games alone are worth more than what I paid.

I'm enjoying the console very much, and in the last two months I have spent much more time with it than my PC, I'm hooked on Forza 6 and Halo Master Chief Collection right now.

Get one, and if you don't feel you've gotten your money's worth, just sell it.

gdt

I play with my controller on Pc on my 4K tv.

Those two are easily possible with a gaming PC. So basically it comes down to your other reasons, and/or if the handful of exclusives that haven't (so far) hit PCs are worth it to you ( Halo MCC/5, Sunset Overdrive etc).

Madness

Not at all anymore. Especially with play anywhere.

Is that why the PC'ers are whining so much about crossplay for Gears 4 with console players just so they can find matches? As long as it is W10 for Xbox Exclusives, Xbox One will still be superior in terms of multiplayer games as you will have a larger playerbase.

If it is a single player game, sure. The Gears 4 campaign looks phenomenal at 4k and 30 or 60 frames if your rig can do it.

It's a Halo and backwards compatibility machine for me at the moment. I'll hang onto it, but I'd sooner upgrade my GTX 1060 than buy a Scorpio at this point.

nubbe

Can't even play games on split screen anymore.
Gotta sell subscriptions...
PC and Nintendo for party games is the trend at the moment.

Compsiox

Banned
Is that why the PC'ers are whining so much about crossplay for Gears 4 with console players just so they can find matches? As long as it is W10 for Xbox Exclusives, Xbox One will still be superior in terms of multiplayer games as you will have a larger playerbase.

If it is a single player game, sure. The Gears 4 campaign looks phenomenal at 4k and 30 or 60 frames if your rig can do it.

Eh Halo games will do well I'm sure. That's all I really care about.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Wait...OP are you suggesting you've found a loophole out of owning an Xbox?

Halo and backwards compatibility.

I grew up playing Halo 1 & 2 at Xbox LANs in my neighborhood, so MCC is a must-own for me even if the online fell apart. Halo 5 may have come and gone quickly but I still enjoyed it.

Backwards compatibility has become a bigger deal than I thought. The addition of cult classics like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon is great, and going back to Halo: Reach and other games has been nice.

Phox

Banned
Unless you really love your Xbox friends and they're stubborn or you love Xbox mp (and pay for it) then no need to keep that Xbox.

Weevilone

I can't keep the Win10 store working, so I'd say yes. So much for my Forza and Gears digital buys. Have never used them on PC.

I have a gaming PC and an Xbox One S. I love my xbox too. I've got it for backwards compatibility as well as a few exclusives like Halo 5. Plus I play battlefield 1 on it online too as on PC I find there's just too many snipers which ruins the enjoyment for me.

I love my 1080 but I love my One S just as much.

OneUh8

I sold my xbox one as soon as they started putting out the exclusives on pc. Even if I miss some it is not big deal. There are too many games as it is I want to play. Honestly since I sold the xbox, I have not even bothered with any xbox games on pc. Just don't appeal to me really compared to all the other things to play on pc. I mainly only played Halo on the Xbox anyway.

KHlover

Banned
Steam and PSN both work great. Downloads and installs in particular are much, much better on both platforms than xbox one. Also the sales are dramatically better on both platforms. And both offer a wider variety of games. The more I think about it, the more insane your comment sounds haha.

Cmon, this thread pretty obviously is about the PC ports of MS, thus my comment was about the Win10 store.

Top Bottom