• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have a gaming PC, is there really any reason to own an Xbox?

Dremorak

Banned
I bought an xbone controller, a 5M HDMI cable, HDMI splitter, and a 5M USB extension cable.

Cost about 75NZD ish all up. Much cheaper than 500 NZD for XBONE.

I already have a good PC for work, so for me its a no brainer.

With the prices , lack of digital sales and constant problems with it's much cheaper to buy used xbox games and sale them later.

sora87

Well, you can't rent games on the pc so that's one reason my xbox one hasn't been sold. Also holding out hope for Vesperia still..

I kind of wanted to get a Blu Ray player and it seems the Xbox One S is kind of a steal in that regard especially considering the deals to be had as of late.

Not sure if it's worth it for that alone since I already have a ridiculous PC...

Patrick S.

Banned
With the prices , lack of digital sales and constant problems with it's much cheaper to buy used xbox games and sale them later.

That was also a factor for me. I had not bought a console because of my already huge Steam library and the day one discounts on PC games, but I like the idea of physical games that 1.) I can buy used 2.) no one can take out of my library 3.) I can sell on or trade in if I'm done with it or I don't like it.

Another one is that often multiplayer on PC is dead after a few days, while on console it's often still going even after years have passed.

Trup1aya

I have and Xbox One S that I really like, but I am a computer science major and plan on building a gaming PC in the near future. I already own a PS4 and the Nintendo hardware, but the XB1S has become my main console. It makes me not want to buy any games for the Xbox since I know that the GTX 1070 rig is inbound. My question is, is there really any reason to hold onto the Xbox?

Edit: I don't have a 4K tv and have no plans to get one anytime soon.

IMO, play anywhere isnt good enough on PC if you still care about xbox exclusives. So going pc only is going to guartuntee you shoddy ports and tiny MP populations if you go this route.

Theyll have to massively improve the UWP situation if they want to change this reality, but i dont see this happening anytime soon (or at all)

kodecraft

No one really mentions the pain of the Windows Store. This is the only way to get these exclusives. If it works for you then fine, but some have had issues with using this platform.

Also, the experience is much more streamlined on console then it could ever be on PC.

I know lately this era has all been about framerates/graphics > gameplay, never for me though.

The only thing getting me excited this gen is the Switch. Everything else has been more of the same but with a slight bump in graphics and 60fps display.

PlayStation got some cool exclusives on the way though.

The experience is important to me, so console wins in that regard. Mobile is similar to console. A streamlined experience.

EGM1966

Depends how much you want to trade console experience with TV for PC experience (unless you hook up PC to your TV).

Technically the majority of games will be available on PC and run better (the odd bad port aside) but you will be dropping friends, etc potentially and exclusives (although the true exclusives are very small in number at this point).'

Seems to me you like the console though so why not keep it until after you get PC and see how it pans out? If you see you've switched to PC then trade it in. If not split time across them.

Nzyme32

If you are hugely concerned with Xbox Live, or simply have the vast majority of your friends on Xbox Live only and they wouldn't consider playing on PC and you couldn't possibly live without playing games with them - then owning an Xbox and a PC has plenty of purpose.

Personally, I'd rather not be restricted to a heavily dictated ecosystem alone and one that runs against most of the principles PC gaming and its services thrives from. Not to mention Xbox and MS have terrible exclusive games imo, over prescribed and bland bar one or two which even then appear muted or stale.

But hey, at least there is some choice there for those that might have use for it and those desperate to play those xbox exclusives.

DESTROYA

Personally I don't see the point,with to the few quality exclusives that you can't get on PC being the only reason.
I was trying to convince myself to buy a S but failed miserably.

TheYanger

Steam and PSN both work great. Downloads and installs in particular are much, much better on both platforms than xbox one. Also the sales are dramatically better on both platforms. And both offer a wider variety of games. The more I think about it, the more insane your comment sounds haha.

PSN is not faster with downloads nor does it have better sales. What a weird argument ot make. Steam is very fast and has insane sales, obviously, but PSN? no way. Disc installs are the only bad part on Xbox, digital is totally great.

OP: Weird thread, seems like the answer is obvious, play on console if you prefer to play g ames on consoles. play on PC if you don't mind. If you already own a beefy PC there's no reason to play anything on either system unless you can't play it elsewhere (IE PS4 games), which makes MS games actually significantly more cost effective than sony ones. PULLIN ONE OVER ON PHIL!

SlickVic

Depends how good your gaming PC is. I have an 860m mobile card. Runs Witcher 3 great, but games like Forza Horizon 3 not so much. Until I get a new computer in next 1-1.5 years definitely helpful to have the Xbox One around to play some of the MS exclusives.

MazeHaze

Banned
Yes, if you play multi-player games online. EA access is another thing to keep in mind, good value.
EA access is available as Origin accees on PC though.

I think that if you own a decent PC and a ps4, an xbox one will just end up collecting dust. BC is cool, but I have a Ps3 on my bedroom tv for that.

So unless you really really love halo and don't mind spending 300 dollars to play it, I think an xbox one is unnecessary.

Daeoc

The only friends I have I met on 360 almost 10 years ago, so I play a few multiplayer games with them like Titanfall 2 and Gears of War 4. Everything else is PC, though the only real multiplayer games I play there is Overwatch and FFXIV because I don't have friends on PC.

Everdred

I think it's worth it for exclusives and multiplayer. The ports are garbage and multiplayer is dead on PC. Plus you actually get some great games from games with gold and decent digital sales.

I would say no if you are single player only.

I have a good PC and a PS4 but all my play time goes to the Xbox because of friends and I like the OS more (stat tracking, achievements and easy LFG.

PSN is not faster with downloads nor does it have better sales. What a weird argument ot make. Steam is very fast and has insane sales, obviously, but PSN? no way. Disc installs are the only bad part on Xbox, digital is totally great.

I would say PSN and Steam have pretty much the same sales. Ever since Steam added the refund option their sale prices haven't been that great. However grey market is still an option.

singhr1

I think it's worth it for exclusives and multiplayer. The ports are garbage and multiplayer is dead on PC. Plus you actually get some great games from games with gold and decent digital sales.

I would say no if you are single player only.

I have a good PC and a PS4 but all my play time goes to the Xbox because of friends and I like the OS more (stat tracking, achievements and easy LFG.

lol @ "ports are garbage" ; na most of the recent ports are fine. Gears and KI are amazing

Arulan

There isn't much reason to own any console having a capable PC. Judge for yourself though if the exclusives are worth buying another platform for.

LostDonkey

Yeah. My pc doesn't have a 4k blu ray player and it's a bitch to take round to a friends where as the xbox fits in my back pack.

Mozendo

I'll get one when it's about $150 so I can play Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon with improved visuals and performance.

Qwyjibo

lol @ "ports are garbage" ; na most of the recent ports are fine. Gears and KI are amazing
No kidding.

Gears 4 is one of the best optimized ports I've ever played on PC. It runs perfectly and has tons of customization in terms of graphics options. Yes the multiplayer is dead but core game itself runs as well as anyone could hope.

Not to mention if you remember, xbox backtracked on saying all future exclusives will be coming to PC, just the select few that were in the play anywhere schedule, mainly these

We have no idea if any more future xbox titles will be coming to PC.

forgot about state of decay 2

if any of the consoles released their games on PC i probably wouldn't be a console owner anymore though but there is things i like about it, like the streaming just being sit up, i just dont like how they block certain things if you stream via console they need to get rid of that.

Bulgar

Neo Member
Microsoft should already make the Xbox a portable PC and then people will say " if you have an Xbox, is there really any reason to own a PC." I can see issues with licensing software and stuff but seriously in a perfect world it just needs to run windows 10 with mouse and keyboard support to become a PC.

I do not really think so, I actually really got rid of my Xbox One because I realized I'd much rather play multiplatform games on my PC and all of the exclusives I want to play are also on PC with the exception of Halo (Some day.... D:). I think the Xbox One is still a good console, but there just isn't much of a reason to pair one with a gaming PC as there would be for something like a PS4 or Nintendo console.

LostDonkey

Microsoft should already make the Xbox a portable PC and then people will say " if you have an Xbox, is there really any reason to own a PC." I can see issues with licensing software and stuff but seriously in a perfect world it just needs to run windows 10 with mouse and keyboard support to become a PC.

It already runs win 10 and m/kb is coming.

It basically is a cheap entry level windows 10 PC.

rbanke

I've not turned my Xbox One on in more than 6 months and even then it was to play Halo 2 from the MC collection. I still have to play 3 but other than that I have zero reason to own it anymore. Not really worth selling, so it just ends up being decoration for the entertainment center.

Unless you have a reason that you already know about like friends for multiplayer games or some BC 360 games or some other edge case, I don't see any reason to have one if you have a gaming PC.

Bulgar

Neo Member
It already runs win 10 and m/kb is coming.

It basically is a cheap entry level windows 10 PC.

It's a special custom version of Win 10 right? Regardless once m/kb is out Xbox might be an option for someone who just has something like a macbook for a PC.

I would say PSN and Steam have pretty much the same sales. Ever since Steam added the refund option their sale prices haven't been that great. However grey market is still an option.

Until their past couple of sales, PSN was generally undercutting XBL sales by about 10-20%. I game primarily on my Xbox (digitally) and that won't be changing, but Sony usually has the best sales on the console digital front. Steam is usually even better.

Mine is a media centre with voice controls. Sometimes I play exclusives on it but there aren't many. My PS4 doesn't even get used for media centre duties so it's a lot dustier overall, despite there being more "exclusives" I play on that - it's still super infrequent. The PC gets used every day I have free time at home, so the consoles in general feel super redundant with the exception of media playback capabilities because windows computers are garbage for BD support.

If MS brought out a good blu-ray player app (just anything that isn't garbage like powerDVD please) for PC, or VLC player got proper BD support, I would seriously contemplate just selling off my consoles and never bothering again. The convenience factor of consoles keeps getting chipped away by mandatory installs, day 1 updates that take half an hour, frequent console updates, all that crap. I can use controllers on PC now 99% of the time so couch gaming is extremely viable regardless of genre.

Yeah it's kinda weird now that you can usually get retail console games cheaper quicker than PC digital now. At least it seems that way to me.

i'm a PC gamer [always have been], and i pretty much buy xbox for halo.

so, we'll see [come halo 6], whether i need to keep buying xbox consoles ;p

PSGames

I have a decent gaming PC with a i7 and 980Ti but still purchased an Xbox One S. 4K bluray is nice. 360 BC is awesome. Kinect voice controls and games (dance central). Being able to rent, trade and sell games. Not having to mess around with settings and drivers. Also the S just looks 10 times better than a PC in my living room.

Probably not. You're pretty much covered with a nice PC. I mean, unless 360 BC is a driver behind your interest.

For the consumer who doesn't care to own a gaming rig, it's a great console.

I don't think there's any reason to own an Xbox or a Playstation for that matter. The exclusives thus far have been mostly lackluster in my opinion, with a few exceptions like Bloodborne and Uncharted. I'll definitely be getting a Switch, though, because Nintendo's systems are always chock full of amazing first-party exclusives.

Heinrich

Banned
God. That's kinda sad.

Why? People hated on MS for Not bringing their Games to their Windows PC Platform. And now people are calling it sad they are doing this?
I still prefer console over PC and a Lot of people do.
Just Look at online population of Games like battlefield 1 etc.

Battlechili

Banned
I think that would depend on how much you like Halo and Sunset Overdrive. If you can get one cheap, and/or if you don't have a PS4, it might be worth it for the games that are, at least for now, not on PC but multiplat between both Xbox One and PS4, such as FFXV and KH3.

Bgamer90

Banned
If your friends don't play third party games on Xbox, and you don't care about the Xbox One's media and/or backwards compatibility features, or Halo, then no, not really.

Top Bottom