• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you haven't played/wrote off Heroes of the Storm, please try it again (here's why)

jetsetrez

I know I'm going to sound like a shill with this thread, but the reason I'm posting this is because Heroes of the Storm might be my favorite game of all time (certainly my most played, at over 3000 games with an average of 20-25 minutes each, far exceeding the hundreds of hours I've put into SC2, DotA2, CS, WoW, Diablo, PSO, etc), and it saddens me so much to see such an incredibly creative, unique, and all-around excellent game either get lazily compared to and dismissed/belittled as a lesser game to the likes of DotA or League, or worse, simply overlooked outright. So, with this thread, as the major fall event for HotS --Machines at War-- is underway, and after a year of frequent and numerous updates and improvements, I would like to make the case as to why now is the best time to try the game since it hit alpha, for both new players and those that initially wrote it off, and implore anyone with even a passing interest in real-time strategy or MOBAs to try this wonderful game.

For people who haven't played it before:
Great! If you've ever been curious about a MOBA before and have never tried one, HotS is largely considered the most accessible for a few reasons, foremost of which being that instead of a labyrinthine codex of purchasable items that modify your character ala an RPG, HotS has a talent system where each hero simply has a choice of 3-5 perks you can pick at levels 1, 4, 7, 10, and so on, all of which are specifically designed to synergize and fit your hero's role or playstyle. The result is that most heroes have around two to three "builds" that synergize well for varying playstyles and map or composition strategy.

There are numerous other quality of life/accessibility features and clever game design implementation to make this game feel as welcoming to new players as possible (in typical Blizzard fashion), such as shared experience, no need for town portal scrolls, no courier management, mounts for faster map rotation, no runes/masteries homework, RTS-style map objectives, etc, but rather than getting too in the weeds on the minutiae in what will surely be a long post, I'd rather just get into more of the great unique features that make HotS so fun..

CePjui6.jpg

[ Trailer | Content Overview | Official Site ]

I'll start with the major fall event, Machines of War, which just started this Tuesday. It follows the tradition of last year's event which was centered on the Diablo franchise, but this time brings StarCraft into the Heroes world (called the Nexus), in the form of two new StarCraft-themed maps, two new heroes, StarCraft-themed skins and mounts for multiple heroes, and two event quests that tie into a before-match mini-game.

7RmCnU7.jpg

[ Maps Overview ]

The two maps look amazing, and if you're a fan of StarCraft, they are a love letter to SC from the HotS team (many of which came directly from the SC team). Braxis Holdout has already been released, and Warhead Junction will be coming in the next week.

0gkWQHX.jpg

[ Hero Trailer ]

The first hero of the event is Alarak, highlord of the Tal'Darim. Whom, if you've played StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void, or have any fondness for Q/John de Lancie from Star Trek (and if you don't, what are you doing with your life?), you will likely agree he was the best new character in the StarCraft 2 story arch. Take a look at the trailer for a taste of his mischievous/diabolical personality and playstyle.

4wk0w3R.jpg

And coming next week, Zarya enters the fray from Overwatch. She makes for the second hero added from Overwatch (the first being Tracer), and her kit comes fully intact, which should make her a very unique tank, with a make or break ult.

Moving on, the most interesting and compelling reason to look at HotS, in my opinion, is its creativity in hero and map design. Maps, plural, more specifically. One of the things that makes HotS unique in the genre is that it features multiple maps, each with unique lanes and objectives and strategy, that favor different hero compositions and roles.

zuGp6jx.jpg

But for me, even more fun than the variety the maps offer, are the uniqueness and creativity of many of the game's heroes. Probably the most unique hero in the entire genre, for example, is Cho'Gall. He is unique for many reasons, but first and foremost because he actually is played by two people. Yes, one hero, with two roles (Cho being a tank, Gall being a high-damage mage), entirely different talent trees which synergize together, controlled by two people, each controlling one of the two-headed Ogre's.. well.. heads. He takes up two slots on a team's five man roster, and has the HP pool and damage potential to match. To give an idea of how dedicated the HotS team is to making weird and interesting ideas work, when Cho'Gall was released, they literally re-balanced every single hero in the game so that Cho'Gall's scaling wouldn't ruin the game, and also in doing so improved the feel of the game as well by making each hero feel closer to what you would expect in terms of their role (ie how squishy or tanky they are).

x6bsG4k.jpg

A few other examples are the Lost Vikings, who are actually three heroes in one, each controlled individually with number keys or via drag and drop. They are somewhat similar to Meepo from DotA2, but the goal with them is very different, in that generally you want to control each individually soaking experience in all three lanes, which is a huge strategic benefit when combined with the game's shared experience system. So the Viking player would be soaking all of the lanes while the rest of the team rotates as a group for ganks, map objectives, or momentum.

DkLmj7A.jpg

Then there is Abathur, who is a feeble, fragile slug-like character that would lose to any other hero in a straight up engage (save for MLG no scope 420 plays), but who is able to "symbiote" other heroes, giving them shields, buffs, and adding your own attack abilities to their hero from afar, while pushing lanes with minions he spawns, symbioting other minions, and laying mines as traps or to split push multiple lanes at once.

Ay38nzW.jpg

There is Murky, who is a Murloc with a very small health pool, but who is very annoying to play against as he can respawn in seconds from an egg he places anywhere on the map. To truly kill Murky requires finding and destroying his egg, and then killing him before he is able to place it again. Another very unique hero recently added was Medivh, whose "mount" form turns him into a raven ala WarCraft lore, which makes him invulnerable and able to fly anywhere on the map, even over terrain, revealing everything even well beyond enemy lines. He can also significantly manipulate the battlefield by casting portals that let he and his team instantly teleport large distances, creating many opportunities for creative plays.

If you're coming from experience with DotA2 or League, HotS is a very different game than either. I personally think it's counterproductive to always compare HotS to the other two, because it is much more different from them than the two are from each other. That said, experience with them (or other tactile RTS games like StarCraft 1/2, WarCraft 3, C&C Generals, etc) will certainly make you feel immediately comfortable here. I personally find HotS' mechanics to be the most enjoyable to actually play with of the big MOBAs, simply because there is much less of a feeling of animation delay; though perhaps I am biased as HotS is an evolution of the SC2 engine and I personally find the more 1-to-1, tactile feel to be preferable over staggered animation timing. To me, baseline HotS feels like what ranged DPS heroes in LoL or DotA2 are like once you've got most of their key attack speed items and are in late game.

Lastly, if you're completely new to HotS, this is the best time to be getting in for another more tangible reason, as well; there are multiple promotions available to get you started very quickly with a sizeable roster of heroes. To start, with the MoW event, they're just straight up giving you a free hero for logging in. You will get the choice of six heroes, almost all of which are very solid picks (I personally like Thrall, though he might not be the best hero to start with). After that, along with the event is a pre-match mini-game which grants you a one-day stim pack for every day you "win" the mini-game. The stim pack gives you a significant XP and gold boost per game, so on top of the increased gold just for playing, it also makes leveling your heroes and account much faster, which rewards you with larger caches of gold at frequent intervals. Finally, you can still take advantage of the recruit a friend promo, which nets you Raynor (who is the easiest hero for beginners) and a 5-day stim pack right off the bat, and Sylvannas (one of the most versatile heroes for almost any comp/map) and a portrait when you hit player level 10 (which is a very small time commitment). This all amounts to three free heroes, and by the time you get the third you'll have amassed enough gold for around 3-4 more of the cheaper heroes (many of which are among the best, as well), and a very easy path to many more with all of the stim packs. If you'd like to use me as your recruit a friend, feel free to PM me and I will give you my link, and I'm happy to help you with any questions you might have with the game as well.

For people who have played HotS before:

I know it is easy to write a game off, and if you played HotS in the alpha, or even the beta, I could totally understand why one would do so, especially if you're already heavily invested in League or DotA. I could understand that you saw a game with very crude, inconsistent UI, a lot of ugly or reused assets from other Blizzard games, and unrefined direction. But to come back to the thread title, I implore you to give it another chance. This game has seen more updates, reworks, and added content than any game I have ever played in the span of just over a year that I've played it.

The UI is now polished and consistent and wholly it's own; all of the old generic WoW/War3/SC icons have either been changed completely or redone with HotS' aesthetic. There have been multiple major patches that have buffed, nerfed, and completely reworked almost every hero in the game. Talents have been made much more unique per hero, so almost all previously generic talents that multiple heroes possessed (ie bribe, relentless, imposing presence) have now either been removed, or made into hero-specific variations that fit their kit and lore better. Many talents are now quest talents, which have goals you need to work toward over the course of the game to build their power, which offer greater power spikes in the late game when those quests have been fullfilled (or having the opposite effect if the other team picks off one of your team just before they fulfill the quest, and have their progress reset).

TaNokti.png

For competitive players, the draft UI was completely reworked to make it much easier to use, bans were added (which was shameful that they were ever not there, to be fair), and preseason finally ended a few months ago with the introduction of the league system (bronze through grand master, just like SC/LoL) and season one of ranked play. Many people consider that to have been the"real" end of the beta, as opposed to the "official" launch. We're now in season two, and each season offers gold, mount, and portrait rewards for the higher you can rank.

bNExyzx.jpg

Other recent additions are the MVP system, brought over from Overwatch, which rewards a player with MVP as well as four others as significant contributors for unique things like most damaged tanked, most camps captured, most turn ins toward the map objective, etc. And there are so many "small" changes to the core game design that in aggregate make for a much more refined, strategic, and fulfilling experience. For example, health globes now reward you with a larger percentage of health and mana, but also disappear from the map quicker, so good players will try to fight for and bully their lane opposition away from globes to win the lane, which gives depth and rewards skill in a way that feels less like arbitrary busy work than say denying creeps in DotA, and keeps the focus on combat mechanics.

TKlBd9o.png

Mount speed was reduced to give split pushers more value and make team rotation decisions more meaningful/deliberate. Minions and catapults were buffed to make map presence more vital and make it so you always have to respect split pushes and the value of camps. Death timers have been adjusted so that mid and late game deaths have significant impact on win conditions.

All of this before even talking about the sheer volume and quality of content that has been added within the past year. 15 new heroes, with multiple new mages making mage choices no longer a binary of one team getting Kael'Thas and the other getting Jaina; now you have multiple choices depending on the kind of damage your comp and team want, be it AOE, burst, zoning, versatility, or DOT. Multiple new supports and melee assassins that give variety to what kind of utility and dive you want. Five new maps: two from Diablo; one original with a map objective and win condition unlike any in the genre; a map specifically made for playing ARAM (only available in custom games), and the first StarCraft map (with the second coming next week).

Also, I mentioned it before, but Blizzard has given significant, entirely reworked talent trees to many of the older heroes, and have continued to refine each character into fitting interesting and useful roles and niches. For example, Tychus was reworked to be a strong tank-killing assassin, with his trait revolving around percentage-based damage. Zagara was reworked to fit the role of her character better, and now nydus split pushing is a very strong and viable playstyle. Anub'arak was reworked to be a strong back line diver that can disrupt mages. Many other heroes have had their roles and playstyle changed dramatically, such as Nova, Arthas, KT, Jaina, Butcher, and Illidan, among many others.

So, I say all this with the simple plea of asking that you give my favorite game a shot. If you love Blizzard games, HotS is every bit the Blizzard game that Overwatch or Diablo or WarCraft or StarCraft are. It has the same high standards of polish and laser focus of playability and replayability, and the same combination of accessibility and depth. It has the same game design sensibilities, and the same sense of humor and creativity. It didn't always have all of these things, and it didn't always feel like it belonged in the same breath as those other franchises, let alone its foremost competition in the genre, but now it does. And I really hope more people give it a chance, and come to love it the same way I do.

WatTsu

This is the only MOBA I have ever been able to get into, but I've stalled lately. Maybe Machines of War will get me to fire it up again.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have played it in the past and liked it.

What I didn't like is the monetization model. Has this been rebalanced?

The iteration that I played had a good ability to earn gold in the early account stages and then became very flat.

has match making been fixed? its not that fun playing as a support with other supports while the other team had all warriors

I've played this on and off. I think they nailed the animations & look of the game, but I'll end up losing interest because the gameplay just doesn't feel as rewarding & intense as DotA 2.

The moba community sticks their nose up at anything that isn't Lol/Dota2. Any other game comes along that tries to change up the formula is met with jeers and criticism.

I personal find games like Heroes and Paragon refreshing, and I like that they are different from the Big 2 norm.

I like it a lot but it runs like crap for me on hardware that it shouldn't struggle on at all. Performance actually gets worse the more I turn things down.

Tagyhag

I've played this on and off. I think they nailed the animations & look of the game, but I'll end up losing interest because the gameplay just doesn't feel as rewarding & intense as DotA 2.

I'm the same, I never had a 75+ minute match in HOTS that ended in glorious victory and pretty much made my day.

I realize some people would read that and think I'm crazy, but that's what I want from my MOBA.

That said, it is a fantastic game for those that don't really know how to enter the genre.

franzer

Heroes is one of my favorites as well. I think the biggest thing people also need to understand, is that it is NOT dota/lol, and thats ok. The reason i initially got into heroes was game length. I have a small child, and rarely do i have an hour to commit to sitting down and playing Dota, i.e. i can play a couple 20 minute games np. I actually stayed, because heroes is great though. My biggest complaint to this day is the changes they made to hero league, and limiting the party size. I typically have 1-2 friends to play with at any given time, but we've never got a full squad. Because of that, we can't climb the ladder or play competitively...and that's ridiculous. We're stuck playing casual modes because of that single change. Rumor seems to be this may change again in the future, and i hope so, as its alienated many of my friends from playing, and we tend to just play overwatch or something else.

karnage10

Banned
I liked the game but felt that it took too long to unlock heroes. Had it changed? How long does it take to unlock a new hero?

Blizzard didn't realize how competitive the MOBA market was and thought they could get away with Blizzarding the hell out of hero and skin prices, and now it's their least popular game. It takes way too long to unlock new characters, it's absurd.

Zafir

As someone who would play on my own and be a MOBA n00b to boot, how welcoming is the community?

Well, it used to be really good, but the community has become about as toxic as any MOBA these days. :/

I'd say it's easy to get into as a new player though. So if you just mute people who are being dicks, it's a good starting point.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I've since switched to Vainglory, which I think is the much better 'casual moba'

HotS is still a half decent moba for people who don't have time for dota/lol, but Blizzard should have made it mobile a la Vainglory instead of trying to compete with dota/lol.

The game can be fun with a group of friends, but it doesn't change that this game is frustrating as hell. The fact that it's a shorter game than Dota 2 makes it easier to have a short fuse, I feel, because there's almost no breathing room. When you're the losing side, it all just feels like complete bullshit.

Also, a lot of the gimmicks for the maps don't help the (my) frustration, honestly. The Egyptian map with the lasers, the fucking raven one, the pirate one... my god. Makes my blood pressure rise, especially when you have one- to two randoms and they're just complete dog shit with no teamwork anywhere in their being.

I can enjoy myself with it sometimes (again, with friends), but it will never be my go-to game in any way, least of all as my go-to MOBA.

It does do some neat things, though. Shorter game times are a double-edged sword (for me/my blood pressure) but a change of pace from, say, Dota 2. I like the skill system and that you can really build a hero in different ways. Map variety is also nice, but--again--some of the gimmicks are just infuriating when you have brain-dead teammates. The snowball is real. The fact that there's no items at all is also cool in its own way; it's one less thing to worry about.

It's the only MOBA I enjoy playing, but I haven't since Overwatch came out. I keep saying I'll boot it back up, but I have a few MP games I've been juggling so it's been hard. I really want to try the new stuff with the latest content patch though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have never binge-played a game as much as I did with Heroes.

To this date, I'm unsure if I ever even liked the game.

jetsetrez

This is the only MOBA I have ever been able to get into, but I've stalled lately. Maybe Machines of War will get me to fire it up again.
I can totally understand, even a lot of my hardcore HotS friends lapsed for a bit when Overwatch and the WoW expansion came out, but most have returned. Even if just for a game or two, it's fun to mix it up!

Eh you convinced me I'll give it a try.
:D Thanks! This is the entire goal of this thread, I hope you're the first of many! Post back after you've played some and let people know if you liked it (or if you didn't).

I have played it in the past and liked it.

What I didn't like is the monetization model. Has this been rebalanced?

The iteration that I played had a good ability to earn gold in the early account stages and then became very flat.
Well, it hasn't been rebalanced in terms of new hero cost, but it is definitely much easier to get a large roster of owned heroes now simply because the game is much more robust and there is a much larger range of heroes in the lower cost tiers. There are now dozens of heroes that are between 2-4k gold, which you can easily earn with a few days of playing (games + quests + level/player rewards). Also they've increased the free hero pool, so you have ten heroes that are available for free at all times, and getting them to level 5 and 9 gets you large chunks of gold. You also get large caches of gold as rewards for ranked play, though that requires more dedication and effort.

has match making been fixed? its not that fun playing as a support with other supports while the other team had all warriors
Quick match can still be silly/clown show, but quick match now is essentially just for playing wacky comps or trying new heroes, because they added unranked draft mode now. So most people who want to play a game with balanced comps but don't want the performance anxiety of ranked just play unranked draft now. Same quick matchmaking as quick match, but with the strategically enjoyable benefits of draft.

Kyle Blackthorne when?
Haha, he is on the list! If Dustin Browder gets his way though, Snake Sanders will be first.

I totally understand. For some this will always be the case; the team fights in DotA2 and LoL will always seem more impactful to the game just because they are built up over a much longer period of time and happen much less frequently, but I would argue the level of team coordination that is required to be successful in HotS is just as high, if not higher, just for the simple fact that to win the team fight you can't rely on a carry that has been well fed throughout the game; every person on the team has to play their role immaculately; if any single person is not pulling their weight, that is the team that will lose at a high level.

How long are the typical games? Shorter than dota2?
Definitely much shorter on average. Most games are usually about 20-25 minutes.

Is your coop xp still capped per day?
Nope, you can get friend bonuses as long as you like, if that's what you mean.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I really like this game, play a couple times per week. Sometimes Quickmatch games are ridiculously one-sided but even if my team gets steamrolled, it's quick enough I don't usually mind. The new unranked draft is nice, too, even though you can end up with some reeeeeeaaaaaal dumb teams.

This game is just so much easier to read than Dota. Items are so stupid in Dota. Lots of the heroes in HotS have several viable builds but it's way easier to understand how your opponent is speccing than it is in Dota.

jetsetrez

I like it a lot but it runs like crap for me on hardware that it shouldn't struggle on at all. Performance actually gets worse the more I turn things down.
I've seen a lot of people say this over the months, but I play on a crappy toaster laptop, and it runs better for me than most games, so I don't have first hand experience. That said, the past few major patches have had significant engine performance improvements, which a lot of people have said has fixed or improved their issues, and improved frame rates and optimization all around. Also the reconnect system has been dramatically improved (though it still isn't as good as DotA2).

As someone who would play on my own and be a MOBA n00b to boot, how welcoming is the community?
It's very welcoming, or at least it has been for most of its life. Now there are definitely people who think they know everything and might rage, but you're not likely to run into them when you're first starting out anyway. Also, there is a party finder that will show you people that are looking to play around your skill level, which is nice, and you can always play AI games until you feel comfortable with a few heroes.

I'm the same, I never had a 75+ minute match in HOTS that ended in glorious victory and pretty much made my day.

I realize some people would read that and think I'm crazy, but that's what I want from my MOBA.

That said, it is a fantastic game for those that don't really know how to enter the genre.
See, I stopped playing DotA because I just didn't want to continue that kind of time commitment, so I totally get both sides of that. I will say, that the thing about those long epic games, is that on the flip side, I've had many an hour+ long game end in a dropped rapier or equally stupid small blunder and just felt like my life essence had been stolen from my corporeal being. ;) I dunno, I watched that EG game from the last TI that many were hyping as the best game of any MOBA ever, and while it had some good moments and the ultimate victory was awesome, I felt like a good half of that entire game duration was just nothing of substance. So I totally get the higher highs, but I also think it comes at the expense of much more filler and much lower lows.

I liked the game but felt that it took too long to unlock heroes. Had it changed? How long does it take to unlock a new hero?
Well, it has changed in so far as there are dramatically more heroes at very low cost now, and there are many more heroes to level for the big gold rewards. Also gold rewards for ranked play. Low cost heroes can be unlocked easily within a few days, or even faster with a stim pack (which you get daily with the Machines at War event). Its been a while since I didn't have every hero in HotS, but I feel like unlocking heroes in it was much faster overall than in League.

i'm not touching no fucking moba, i've tried my hardest to have a life and i'm not about to let it go like that
Maybe just a little touch? :)

Aselith

I've seen a lot of people say this over the months, but I play on a crappy toaster laptop, and it runs better for me than most games, so I don't have first hand experience. That said, the past few major patches have had significant engine performance improvements, which a lot of people have said has fixed or improved their issues, and improved frame rates and optimization all around. Also the reconnect system has been dramatically improved (though it still isn't as good as DotA2).

Are you on Windows 7? The game ran much better for me on Win7 and then I moved to 10 and it was trash garbage.

Zafir

I used to really love the game, but over time I think I just got more and more annoyed at certain aspects.

I mostly played during closed/open beta and then when it first launched. I got really annoyed at how long it took for Blizzard to fix quick match matchmaking and then add the unranked draft mode, they've done it now but like, little too late.

I think really the final nail in the coffin was just not having enough people to play with. It's a team game, so if one person doesn't turn up to a fight, or does something silly it can just cost you so much. I mean sure, that happens in Dota 2 as well, but not to the same extent. You can take fights 4 v 5 in DotA and win, it's extremely hard to do that in HotS. Which makes solo queuing all the more irritating.

Either way, I tend to play Dota 2 more these days. Though I still think HotS is great, and am glad that it exists.

jetsetrez

This game is just so much easier to read than Dota. Items are so stupid in Dota. Lots of the heroes in HotS have several viable builds but it's way easier to understand how your opponent is speccing than it is in Dota.
Yeah, I agree, though I wouldn't say items are stupid; I respect the depth they offer, but I also think the intuitive design of the talents is much better, both from a quality of life standpoint and I also think it's better from a strategy standpoint. It allows Blizzard to tightly synergize talent design for a hero, and like you said, it is better for readability for both teams; knowing what your opponent is capable of and has spec'ed into is vital, and with items things can get ridiculous to the point where often even Valve and Riot have been caught off guard by combinations they hadn't designed for. Some might think that makes them better, but I've always been of the mindset that I think a strategy game is best when everyone knows what every piece can do, from RTS to chess.

I'm talking about the games vs cpu. I stopped playing when I got the "You can still play but you won't be gaining any more xp off CPU games for today!" message.
Oh, I got you. I almost never play AI games, so I completely forgot about that. I think the only reason they did that was because people would just idle/move enough to not get kicked while they did other things to artificially level, which even if you're playing an AI game, that ruins the game for the rest of the team. I looked around and it looks like they raised the cap to 2.5 million xp though per day, which is roughly about 15-25 games, depending if you have a stim pack.

Played the game for a few months last year. It's decent fun. There's a variety of maps with different objectives which is a nice change from most other games in the genre. And matches last 15-25 minutes which is obviously very convenient if you're short on time, and it also means a bad game will get over quicker instead of dragging out.

Ultimately though, I gave up because the business model is just too much to deal with. I got to level 40, rotated all the heroes for the free gold and even spent about $60 but it only got me a subset of the heroes available. The rate at which you earn gold in the game is obnoxiously low. You get next to nothing for playing a game and your gold earning is almost entirely dependent on doing daily quests, which means you have to be extremely regular in playing the game. It can start to feel like a chore if you want to maximize your gold gain. And the longer you wait, the more heroes get released and the harder it gets to complete the set. It's difficult to overstate just how significantly inferior this entire business model is to what Dota 2 does.

Also it's kind of inexcusable that the game released in 2015 without proper spectator features. Again, Dota 2 puts this game to shame when it comes to how many options they give spectators to watch games within the client, be it friends playing or tournaments. Now to be fair, it does that to all it's competition but Blizzard had years to study these things and implement them in their game but they didn't do it. If you disconnect from the game it takes ages to reconnect because somehow the client needs to synchronize the entire match with the server before letting you back in. I'm not sure if this has been improved since I stopped playing but I can safely say it's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a multiplayer game in years. I believe it's one of the limitations of using the Starcraft engine. I feel like these things have hampered it's esports scene which has contributed to the suppressed general interest in the game.

I still say it's a good game but it hasn't automatically vaulted to being the most popular of it's kind the way most Blizzard games do, and there's good reason for that.

EDIT - another thing I remember was that in early tournaments, teams had to use 3rd party websites to draft their teams before a match because the game didn't have an ingame drafting system. I'm sure Blizzard must have patched in a drafting system now but that was truly absurd. They were years late to catch the MOBA train and it still feels like they released their game far too early.

Zafir

Yo, yes. Battlerite is going to eat HotS lunch, for sure.

That's how you innovate, modernize and streamline the game.

How so?

It's an arena game, and not a MOBA.

It's not even the same genre.

Edit: And before you say that's what MOBA stands for in terms of what the acronym means, just because the term says it's that - it's not what people believe the genre to be. Otherwise every game where you control a character would be considered a RPG.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How so?

It's an arena game, and not a MOBA.

It's not even the same genre.

I think one of HotS biggest strengths was bringing the match length down so there's less time between teamfights.

Battlerite basically takes that idea and goes whole hog on it. Granted, it's closer to a fighting game than a moba but it still captures the same team fight excitement.

Zafir

I think one of HotS biggest strengths was bringing the match length down so there's less time between teamfights.

Battlerite basically takes that idea and goes whole hog on it. Granted, it's closer to a fighting game than a moba but it still captures the same team fight excitement.

Well, I think it may eat into a tiny bit, but I don't think it will eat into it massively.

I'd argue HotS' main appeal is people wanting a MOBA but don't want the full depth.

I mean up until now if people wanted an arena mode, they'd play the custom mode on Dota 2. I've not played LoL, but I've heard that has something similar too.

I'd imagine it would eat into those two more than HotS.

Heroes of the Storm has some absolutely brilliant hero idea/mechanics. I'm honestly surprised League/Dota haven't stolen them yet.

TDLink

Definitely the best MOBA I've played.

Main things that make it more fun/attractive to me than the others:
  • Shorter game times (~20 mins typically, ~30 mins max in extreme situations)
  • Varied maps with varied objectives, not just Summoner's Rift endlessly
  • Talents instead of gold accumulation and item buying
  • Shared experience/Last hitting doesn't matter

Only play Unranked Draft (or Ranked) though. Play Quick Match to learn the ropes but after that never touch it. People play whatever they want in that mode and matchmaking does its best but...balanced teams don't always happen. In draft at least the teams are much more encouraged to be balanced, which leads to better quality games.

If you're a fan of the different Blizzard franchises, obviously the fact this is a crossover game with those characters is an added cool benefit also.

woodland

Is it still buying heroes? Tried it before and hate most of the mechanics they changed, while the hero model just sucks.

"Burden of knowledge" lol

jotun?

Finally, you can still take advantage of the recruit a friend promo, which nets you Raynor (who is the easiest hero for beginners) and a 5-day stim pack right off the bat, and Sylvannas (one of the most versatile heroes for almost any comp/map) and a portrait when you hit player level 10 (which is a very small time commitment).
Any way to get the free Sylv if I'm already beyond level 10?

its a fine game but the pricing is fucking insane, its like $10 for 1 character if its not on sale and they don't even give you like 5 characters to keep, if you don't own any you can only use whats in the rotation. its what turned me off from the game and ultimately made me uninstall it. smite gives u like 5 or something characters + the rotating heroes, i can give em like what is it, $25 and i getall current and future heroes? in dota i can play as anyone for the price of $0.00 from what ive been told.

TDLink

Is the camera still super zoomed in? I would have liked the game a lot more if I could zoom out just a tad

This took me like a week to get used to coming off other MOBAs. But after that it just becomes normal and not a big deal. I don't even notice it anymore.

its a fine game but the pricing is fucking insane, its like $10 for 1 character if its not on sale and they don't even give you like 5 characters to keep, if you don't own any you can only use whats in the rotation. its what turned me off from the game and ultimately made me uninstall it. smite gives u like 5 or something characters + the rotating heroes, i can give em like what is it, $25 and i getall current and future heroes? in dota i can play as anyone for the price of $0.00 from what ive been told.

the monetization is really the worst but they've reduced the prices of many of the older heroes drastically and increased the number of heroes in the weekly rotation. It's still a huge turn off though.

Zukuu

Banned
The primarily reason I don't want to play the game (played LOL before) is the focus on different modes, which all involve some kind of PvE objective. Meh.

Also, shared levels are kinda weird.

Top Bottom