• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

if you own a current-gen console, how do you justify buying new hardware in Q4 2017?

sphinx

the piano man
This is how it looks right now for me,

3DS
Playing Pikmin right now and Metroid and Etrian Odyssey V will easily last me for the rest of the year. I am still missing some games and can think of 2 or 3 more games before I wrap things up with the 3DS

PS4
ppfff, where do I start here.. Evil within 2, Horizon, REVII Gold edition, FFXII and lots of other stuff..

I've got more on my plate than I can eat.

am I the only one?

the idea was to buy the SNES mini right now and the Switch when Odyssey arrives, I really can't justify it, my inner 8-year old says "I want everything right now, I don't care" but damn I can easily shut him up as soon as I see how raped my wallet will end up by the end of 2017 if I buy all I want.

but the worse and more important aspect of it all: objectively, I do not have time for that many games and I also don't want to devote more time to videogames.

Not sure about X1 but PS4 and Switch are killing it this year with the software. if you own already one of those, buying the other one is hard to justify.

I'll buy both the SNES and Switch in 2018, I managed to temper the hype even with a 97 zelda metacritic, I'll manage if Odyssey does too.

are you guys going to pull through and just buy about everything you want that has been announced for the rest of 2017 day 1? no wallet-regrets later?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I usually have specific games in mind as time goes - and if the game that interests me requires me to buy new hardware I'll do that.

I currently own PC, PS4 and 3DS but plan on buying the Switch for Mario/Zelda later this year - that is IF I find myself having enough time to devote these games.

My plan for the rest of the year was to go through Evil With 2 and AC Origins and then buy the Switch and devote my time to Zelda and Mario for the rest of the year. Let's see how that goes.

Well, just buy what fits your budget and you have time for. No point in having a bunch of games sitting on your shelf unopened.

I probably spend about $100ish a year on games. I also recently bought a Switch in part because of its games (Zelda, Mario, Rabbids) but also because of how many good games I know are going to come in the future.

Otherwise I just play Rocket League on PC and watch Netflix on my PS4.

I bought a Switch on release date because Nintendo's first party output is by far my favorite out of any company out there. I could've just kept on playing my 3DS, but I really dislike how dated its hardware felt and Nintendo EPD (or EAD at the time) hasn't really made a big game for it themselves in like 3 years. I dislike it so much that I haven't really touched Samus Returns since buying it despite being a huge fan of 2D Metroid. I also could've just kept my Wii U and have gotten Zelda on that, but I also hated its hardware and the idea of playing the game on a portable device and having access to Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey seemed appealing to me. I prefer playing games on my Switch over my PS4 because I like the general feel of portable gaming more even though I pretty much play it at home exclusively.

I can easily shut him up as soon as I see how raped my wallet will end up by the end of 2017 if I buy all I want.

Might want to use better wording there.

Weetrick

I own a nice PC and a PS4 (standard). If I do buy hardware it would be a Switch, since it offers games I can't get anywhere else and it's not bank breaking. Not set on buying one yet though. Nintendo has been irritating me a lot.

I was thinking about getting a SNES mini but probably won't. At least not this year.

Yeah, I got too much games and so little time, I'm currently playing ME:Andromeda and Dark Souls 3. I've also got FFXV on hold and a bunch of other games that I can't remember right now. I usually have only a few evenings per week to play games, and those are 3-4 hours max.

There's also the issue of money, got some child care leave coming up so our households income will drop almost by half. So I can't go on spending too much. SM Odyssey is a must though...:p

JusDoIt

I’m one-clicking the SNES Classic as soon as I can, but I’m fine waiting until 2018 to finally get a Switch.

Personally, I was thinking of just upgrading from the standard PS4 to the PS4 Pro on Black Friday for better Wi-Fi and for when I get a 4KTV next year. Already have a Switch and a New 3DS so I don't really need any other piece of hardware, save for maybe an XB1 so I can play Halo Reach on a more modern system but that's when it gets real cheap, like $150 or so. Guess I could count the SNES Classic but that's not really a big investment

Right now, I just need to mainly catch up on games. The PS4 finally got a crap ton of games I actually have an interest in so I'm behind on games for that. Both the Switch and PS4 have a lot of upcoming games I want. Even the 3DS has some stuff I want. Kind of wish Sony and Nintendo would stop trying to destroy my bank account 😢

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well for me it comes down to games. Currently I'm waiting to see if the new SMT is Switch exclusive or not. If it does turn out its Switch exclusive then have to buy Switch because SMT is one series I cant effort to miss.

My PC is 5 years old, so I'm starting to look for a great deal on a replacement to pounce on. I'll get a Switch in a couple of years with a price drop and newer model.

sphinx

the piano man
I bought a Switch on release date because Nintendo's first party output is by far my favorite out of any company out there. I could've just kept on playing my 3DS, but I really dislike how dated its hardware felt and Nintendo EPD (or EAD at the time) hasn't really made a big game for it themselves in like 3 years. I could've just kept my Wii U and have gotten Zelda on that, but I also hated its hardware and the idea of playing the game on a portable device and having access to Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey seemed appealing to me. I prefer playing games on my Switch over my PS4 because I like the general feel of portable gaming more even though I pretty much play it at home exclusively.

so basically not buying anything in Q4, you just wanted to share a story.

Might want to use better wording there.

upset?

exacerbate my financial situation?

Bioshocker

I have a big backlog on Xbox One so this year has, apart from games like Inside, Little Nightmares and a few others, mostly been about playing games that launched on Xbox last year. Therefore my PS4 has been pretty quiet lately.

I do want the Xbox One X, though. But I don't need it. And with newborn at home I certainly can't justify it right now.

I'd rather own everything and just play the best of the best games. Time is much more valuable to me than money.

Why play Hey! Pikmin when I can play Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey y'know?

TB12

Banned
If i got the money i just buy it... I dont need to justify to purchase something.

Just like a new phone every year. Do i need to upgrade no, do i want it yes :)

so basically not buying anything in Q4, you just wanted to share a story.

No, I'm explaining how I justified buying the hardware in an earlier quarter in order to imply that I still find it worth it in Q4. The 3DS doesn't do much for me, and as someone who also doesn't have as much time to play games as he used to, I prioritize Nintendo EPD's first party releases over those of "current-gen consoles". Hey! Pikmin doesn't really compare to Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey, at least not to me, which is what I was trying to say. I actually bought Metroid and haven't really played it much because I really don't enjoy playing on the system that it came out for.

upset?

exacerbate my financial situation?

No, I'm referring to your use of the word 'rape'. It can come off as offensive to a lot of people.

Sorry if you needed better reading comprehension.

It also means to plunder.

I didn't say it was an incorrect word to use based on the dictionary meaning, I simply made a suggestion for using a less emotionally charged word as an afternote for a respectful response to the original question.

I'm firmly implanted in my Switch atm and already have a PS4 and 3DS. The only thing I can see myself buying is a n3DSXL or n2DSXL if theres a good black friday sale simply because my OG 3DSXL is really starting to show its age. The analog nub is starting to get lose its glide and takes a bit more force to move it around and the triggers are starting to stick a bit more.

Buying the Switch day one was a no brainer for me. I could have easily survived this year with just my 3DS, PS4 and PC, but new Nintendo hardware...

MilkyJoe

I got the moolah, but for me it'll be a game I couldn't live without, that outweighed the upfront cost. The last games that did that were Alien VS Predator and Goldeneye 64.

No, I'm referring to your use of the word 'rape'. It can come off as offensive to a lot of people.

Sorry if you needed better reading comprehension.

It also means to plunder.

iJack

Banned
This is how it looks right now for me,

3DS
Playing Pikmin right now and Metroid and Etrian Odyssey V will easily last me for the rest of the year. I am still missing some games and can think of 2 or 3 more games before I wrap things up with the 3DS

PS4
ppfff, where do I start here.. Evil within 2, Horizon, REVII Gold edition, FFXII and lots of other stuff..

I've got more on my plate than I can eat.

am I the only one?

the idea was to buy the SNES mini right now and the Switch when Odyssey arrives, I really can't justify it, my inner 8-year old says "I want everything right now, I don't care" but damn I can easily shut him up as soon as I see how raped my wallet will end up by the end of 2017 if I buy all I want.

but the worse and more important aspect of it all: objectively, I do not have time for that many games and I also don't want to devote more time to videogames.

Not sure about X1 but PS4 and Switch are killing it this year with the software. if you own already one of those, buying the other one is hard to justify.

I'll buy both the SNES and Switch in 2018, I managed to temper the hype even with a 97 zelda metacritic, I'll manage if Odyssey does too.

are you guys going to pull through and just buy about everything you want that has been announced for the rest of 2017 day 1? no wallet-regrets later?

I'm pretty much on the same boat. I own a desktop with a 1070 graphic card, a PS4 and a 3ds. If there's any hardware that I need to update is my desktop, but a console... no. Not right now. Switch I'm probably getting by 2019's Black Friday, but I'm probably getting a new motherboard and upgrading my weak ass 8gb ddr3 ram to 16gb-32gb ddr4 by this year's Black Friday.

Ushay

Switch was a tough sell for me, but I needed something for my son to occupy his time. Plus it's been literally 2 generations since I even touched anything Nintendo related.

Xbox One is getting sold in favour of One X, why you ask? Several reasons really. I'm upgrading to a 4k HDR TV and need a complementary device for it, One X is the best fit. I used to be a PC gamer many moons ago and was quite big on having the latest and greatest visuals, since transitioning over to console (marriage, kids etc), MS new console kind of fills that gap.

PS4 gets moderate use, but not much due to preference in controller, online etc. Still a great console imo.

Normally if I want it I'll buy it, but this 4th qtr I'm trying to justify purchasing both or either the Xbox 1X and PSVR. I upgraded to the Pro got a 4KTV to go along with it and bought the Switch. So I feel like I shouldn't, but I really want to play RE7 and The Inpatient on PSVR and PUBG on the 1X even though I can play it on my 1S.

iJack

Banned
Switch was a tough sell for me, but I needed something for my son to occupy his time. Plus it's been literally 2 generations since I even touched anything Nintendo related.

Xbox One is getting sold in favour of One X, why you ask? Several reasons really. I'm upgrading to a 4k HDR TV and need a complementary device for it, One X is the best fit. I used to be a PC gamer many moons ago and was quite big on having the latest and greatest visuals, since transitioning over to console (marriage, kids etc), MS new console kind of fills that gap.

PS4 gets moderate use, but not much due to preference in controller, online etc. Still a great console imo.

Yeah if I had a 4k HDR TV (I live in Brazil and here the tvs are expensive as fuck and I'm quite good with my Sony Bravia 40" / XL24121 Benq monitor for gaming right now) I'd definitely go Scorpio over PS4 Pro, but right now I don't feel the need to upgrade. It might change if the Spider-Man game forces me to it, but if runs well in my PS4 I'll just keep it until I upgrade my TV.

laxu

There is nothing on my PC that would need an upgrade right now. While my 6600K @ 4.5 GHz / 980 Ti setup is not state of the art, it runs 1440p at good framerates so I have no incentive to upgrade right now. I'm waiting for 4K high refresh rate displays and Nvidia Volta next year.

Consolewise it's PS4 Pro and Switch. Mostly for exclusives on those platforms. Having fun playing Arms at the moment.

Aters

I have PS4, Switch, 3DS and PSV, and a laptop that can at least run PUBG. I cannot justify new hardware. In fact, I don't think I'll get one untill 2020.

AerialAir

Banned
I will buy a Switch eventually, and I already have a nice PC, a PS4 and a 3DS, all of which have given me an immense backlog, but I'll still get a switch... just not right now, not Q4 2017, I'm waiting on a price drop and the release of HD SMT for Switch, if it's an exclusive, which it will probably be. Other than that, I don't see myself getting any new hardware in the future: the Vita is cool but old and abandoned by Sony, I don't need a PS4 upgrade since I play on a 1080p TV and there's absolutely nothing on the Xbox side of things that attracts me. I might upgrade some parts of my PC, if that counts.

Jimrpg

I'm the same and that's why I'm not getting a Switch till much much later.

I'm also thinking I dont want to keep old hardware around any longer in case they stop working one day. I'm sure one drop of the Wii U controller and it'll be cracked and be worthless. I'm going to sell off some of my older hardware before getting anything else.

Even having just the one Steam library is more than enough to keep me going.

danmaku

I'm not planning to buy anything for the rest of the year, I already have way too many games. I'll probably buy something during Steam sales, as I always do, but that's it.

KORNdoggy

honestly, this is the first gen where i find being a multi console owner is actually fairly pointless.

PS4 is my primary system. xbox has barely anything exclusive being produced that i'm interested in, and i refuse to get suckered into buying anymore nintendo consoles when all they end up doing is collecting dust. and that doesn't factor in finding the time to play everything. it's just unfeasible. i litterally have unopened games for both my xbox one and wii-u and i don't see any opening in my PS4 backlog to fit them in either.

so i think going forward i'm going to just stick with playstation. unless sony somehow lose all third party support next gen, i'm moving to being a single console owner. which will be the first time i've been one of those since i had the megadrive.

Opa-Pa

I had a Wii U, 3DS, Vita and a PS4, each (well, minus Wii U) with lots of games I've yet to even start, and still got a Switch back in July. I'm a handheld fan, and the Switch seemed like a dream come true, plus I really, really wanted to play Zelda "the right way" as well as Splatoon 2 on release and maybe Xenoblade 2.

I've played quite a bit of it now without exactly neglecting the others, I'm always cycling between them anyway, and I don't plan to "retire" any of them soon, so yeah, I think if you can afford it without doing any irresponsible sacrifices and are genuinely interested in new hardware, why not? Then again a SNES mini sounds like a different situation... But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't get one if I could afford it (or be able to pre order at all).

Personally, I wouldn't classify a SNES Classic as hardware in the same way buying a Switch/PS4/XBO would be. It's a one-time purchase (no additional games to buy) & its price is the same as a regular $60 AAA game with $20 season pack would be.

i'm not buying any new hardware in Q4 2017 so there's no need for any justifying..

Current Config:
PS4 Pro + PSVR
PS3 Slim
PS Vita

I think i am pretty good and well-covered to play 95% of the games being released...pending certain PC-centric gamers like RTS, MOBA and PUBG.

I planned on buying a Switch for Xenoblade. But with the current overflow of games and a massive backlog I really can't justify 400€ for just one game. So my new plan is waiting for more games, a price-cut or a new version of the Switch.

Chao

I have a PS4 pro and a Switch. No need for anything else to be honest.
Buying an Xbox one X or a Gaming PC would be like burning money, I just don’t need it.

Xandremi

I already have a Pro and have access to a switch so I don't really need to justify new hardware unless I want my own Switch. In which case there needs me to be more than a handful of actual Japanese 3rd party exclusives that are must haves for me. Since those are mainly the games that appeal to me on NDS/3DS(yeah I am weird like that). Since I don't buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games but their games from other Japanese developers and first party games are only the icing on top if they interest me.

But I do have enough GameStop credit for a Switch but I would rather just wait for a PS5.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the only hardware i'd buy at this point is the Switch. there are games on there i want to play but honestly not in any kind of rush because of all the games I can play on PC + PS4.

i'm quite happy with my PC and PS4 Slim which should last me until next gen. I'm not interested in 4K just yet since it's not quite there and still expensive so that rules out a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X (not that they are true 4K consoles) or upgrading my GPU.

I'm getting a SNES as much for nostalgia as the games to play, plus I do not trust Nintendo to make enough that I'll be able to get one should I wait.

But yeah, I own a PC, PS4Pro, 3DS and Vita, I don't need a Switch, and will likely will wait until next Christmas for some nice deals and more must have games.

I am thinking about a PSVR though. That could be a great novelty for the family over Christmas, and I've already got a couple of games that would make use of it.

Edit: completely forgot about the XOX, which probably tells you everything you need to know about my thoughts on how vital a purchase I feel that system is.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I put a Switch on layaway, less because I really have to have a Switch at this point and more to have one available in case the Mario Odyssey hype gets to me. I'm kinda wrestling with just canceling it or selling it, especially since it was one of those overpriced Splatoon 2 bundles.

I was tempted to pick up the Destiny White PS4 Pro bundle because hnng dat white, but my launch PS4 is fine so I cast aside that impulse.

Couldn't care less about the Xbox One X, as I've got a vanilla One that I hardly turn on.

But there's hardly any games I'm looking at day-one-ing this season, either. I've still hardly touched Persona 5, Horizon, and the 2 Yakuza games I bought immediately at release, and I had way more hype for those than anything in the back half of the year.

Now the SNES classic, yeah, I'm getting one of those ASAP. An HDMI SNES with an official release of Starfox 2 and Yoshi's Island and two first-party pads I can use on Wii VC, for a little more than the price of a current-gen game? That's a no-brainer.

I'm having a lot of trouble 'justifying' a Xbox One X outside of 'because I can' and that seems like a bad reason to buy something for yourself.

The Switch is a much more reasonable sell to someone (I already have one). It's the only place you can play Nintendo products and it offers an experience different from anything else in the way you can play it. That's compelling and why the Switch is succeeding right now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I admire your self control OP.

I'm in a great situation right now, as I literally can't think of a single thing I'd want to upgrade in my PC. So while I'm still saving for a future upgrade, I might actually buy a few console games.

Comes down to the games as always for me. Nintendo are doing a great job and I'm likely to pick up a Switch around Xmas. On the other hand, I was set to get the One X at launch, but the games I wanted most (CD3, RDR2, SoD2, SoT), aren't releasing until next year, so I'm going to wait until next Spring to get one.

Ushay

Yeah if I had a 4k HDR TV (I live in Brazil and here the tvs are expensive as fuck and I'm quite good with my Sony Bravia 40" / XL24121 Benq monitor for gaming right now) I'd definitely go Scorpio over PS4 Pro, but right now I don't feel the need to upgrade. It might change if the Spider-Man game forces me to it, but if runs well in my PS4 I'll just keep it until I upgrade my TV.

Shame about prices over there, but TV's (HDR) are dropping fast in value so here's hoping buddy.

Leonidas

The only new hardware coming out in Q4 2017 is Xbox One X. I've got the Scorpio Edition on pre-order. It's justified because of my massive Xbox collection(digital library, Games with Gold, backwards compatibility) and because I'm interested in playing the best version of console games.

Hyun Sai

I only replace my PC or console when it's dead or, for console, when enough games of the next generation make me interested.

Simple enough.

Top Bottom