• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were in charge of Halo what would you do?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Given the failures of Halo Infinite, if you were in charge of Halo what would you do? Reboot? Remakes? Restarts? Multi only? Single player only? More TV show, less TV show?

Personally I've only played Halo 1 and a bit of Halo 2. I've also never seen the TV show. I am not Halo expert but I just am a bit surprised that it fell off so hard after they changed developers.

halo-season1-keyartl_700x380.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  • I think Infinite has the best gameplay of the series. Grappling hook was a nice addition. Can't think of much they need to change on that front.
  • It seems they need to be on a different engine with a more stable code base at some point so they're not so slow.
  • Supporting it in terms of multiplayer is definitely an uphill battle now that the entire landscape has changed with constant GAAS being the norm. I think they should just accept a smaller footprint for this series and stick to what they're good at instead of chasing GAAS.
  • Story needs work. Needs a reset basically.
  • Campaign should be the focus. The more they can lean into sci-fi the better. Travel to different planets, ship / space sections. Maybe hire some old SG-1 / Mass Effect writers. No reason Halo can't be on par with SG-1 or Battlestar Galactica. Maybe more of a focus on quality side quest / NPC content at the base to push stories like this. Maybe have a large city you can explore in between missions.

Last edited:

Duchess

I watched episode one of the show on a flight recently, and by god did I cringe during that opening battle sequence when they played the shield warning / restore sound effect from the game.

Also, the special effects are ropy as hell.

Charlie Murphy looked cute as a button, though (even if her character was a complete, WTF?!).

T4keD0wN

License out the IP to dozens different studios just like games workshop does with warhammer. It would augment the visibility of those games and 343 could just rake in the profits from other peoples work since they are unable to create anything by themselves. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

In a dream scenario I would treat Halo 5 and Infinite like they didnt happen and restart the story from the end of Halo 4, trying to actually achieve the interesting promise of that story.

Im one of the folks who believes that Halo 4 was actually an incredible opening to the trilogy and a great start for a new interesting path for Halo, Halo 4s campaign ruled, its story is potentially the best in the series, I loved the Promethians here, the new promethian weapons were mostly sick, the music was incredibly and new, the variety in the canpaign was so well done as well and it sets up so much for the sequels to play with.
Not to mention alot of the MP maps were really cool, the main weakness of the game does come from its multiplayer, though. The weapons drops being random were anti competitive and the ranking system was terrible, as a competive halo game it was bad but like Halo CE which I would say wasnt very well balanced this was thier first Halo game, I was just glad it was so damn fun and felt like Halo (even with sprint since the map sizes/radar were increased to compensate), I didnt complain about the loadout system because it honesty didnt make much of a difference, luckily it was undertuned and very safe so it didnt make Halo feel like something else. (Although the random weapon drops sucked), casually in Big Team Batlle it was very fun.

I would try to emulate in a redone Halo 5 something similar to the vibe of that teaser in the desert with Master Chief alone searching for answers to save cortana. As for how multiplayer would play I would kill loadouts/random drops from 4, and make abilities like the dash or ground pound etc. pickups you have to earn/control on the map with large cooldowns with thier ability slot giving the player a distinct color around apart of thier body so you know what ability they have when you see them, the sparton weapon drops would stay but they would be different on a per map basis with a repeatable setup (spartin dropping would be on a team basis and inform everyone on the map on where it was going to drop and would lock the opponent out of dropping while your team drop is in progress with a 10 second countdown before the drop), I would also lean way harder into intetactive environmental stuff that can change things drastically on the map, the radar would be like the old school one aka useful, one thing is for certain I would never sacrifice Halos speed/pace/feel to appeal to modern gamers or fans of other games only trying things that would make sense.

Halo 6 for the story it would have Cortana be saved somehow around the midpoint through halseys solution where they pull a reverse promethian and make cortana human essentially to defeat rampancy, the whole forunner thing would get wrapped up with humanity becoming more evolved or a path for them too, chief would probably die at the end though (or be black holed somewhere alone who knows). Gameplay wise the bigger changes would be more slots up to three now you can hold for Abilities to be picked up/controlled on the map but this time there are limited uses until they break and have to respawn. The biggest change to MP sneak peaked from my environmental interactively I introduced in 5 would be at certain times of the match major events occur changing the map for the rest of the game creating different strategies for different times of the match.

(Also in this dream scenario Master Chief is in smash and the ranked syatem would be a better version of Halo 3s with all of its great game modes)

Realistically what I would try with the franchise in a non dream scenario is I would reboot it and move completely away from the main plot, I would make a trilogy of games based around the Arbiter as the main character Halo: Arbiter or something like that. There would atill be humans weapons but they would be rarer since there wouldn't be very many humans in the game.

What actually is gonna happen is we will receive crap, unless maybe a good Halo 3 remake is in the works, that could be dope.

Last edited:

Banned
Cancel further development of Infinite.

put all resources towards Halo 4... yes Halo 4, we're doing a Terminator/Halloween style sequel reboot.
everything that was established after Halo Reach released will be completely retconned.

the campaign will focus on player choice in wide, but linear, levels.

Halo 4 has NO FUCKING SPRINT, and also of course no clamber.

Halo 4 instead focuses on unique gameplay mechanics, physics interactions, and a focus on the sandbox.

The big new game mechanic in Halo 4 will be the Wallkick. the Wallkick allows you to do a wall jump style move, and you can do it from any direction, no matter if the wall is in front, to the side, or behind you.
the Wallkick adds more movement depth to the game, that raises the skill ceiling while keeping the basic controls just as simple as in Halo 3, since the wallkick is simply performed by pressing jump while in the air+near a wall. you will always kick off of the wall that's nearest to your hitbox.
the wallkick will push you slightly away from the wall you kick off of, but you can wallkick up to a platform that's on top of the wall you kicked off of. since that is slow tho you will have to know where to wallkick and where to crouch-jump.

the game needs to release in a finished and feature complete state. full campaign coop, splitscreen, all major modes, forge, file share etc. day 1. any extra content should actually feel like extra content and not like drip feeding content that should have been there day 1.

Halo 3 equipment returns, with the same philosophy that anything that gets deployed can be used against you. not a single piece of equipment will be in there that only works for your team. Halo Infinite's Thread Sensor is such an example that simply doesn't belong here.

Friendly Fire is enabled, player collision is enables, physics based movement like grenade jumps will be possible again.

so yeah, that would be my immediate plan for Halo

Hudo

I honestly don't know. I'd close down 343 because that whole studio just seems like a colossal clusterfuck of mismanagement, nepotism and inability. And I'd probably ask for all first-party studios to pitch a concept if they are interested.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Fix legendary co op bugs in MCC for H2
Fix legendary co op bugs in Halo Infinite

I've recently played through all the halo again on co op. I don't think the campaign for HI was that bad really. The open world was pointless, but I guess tracking across forest was better than tracking forward and back repeatedly.

The gameplay mechanics can all be lifted but I'm not sure how they bring it together in one package.

mrmustard

Banned
Give Masterchief an annoying stepson and let them walk and talk a lot :messenger_grinning_smiling: Jk, i have no fucking idea how to make the singleplayer good again.

Last edited:
-Make similar quality campaign as Infinite, but with biome variations.

-Launch game with full feature set, coop, forge, 8 player PVE modes.

-For multi, launch with 10 maps, but 3 game modes. Keep slayer and ranked as permanent modes (bread and butter of their multiplayer), keep 3rd mode on rotation. Blitzball, last Spartan standing etc are extremely fun modes but currently too many modes means player base gets divided. Keep them focused, and engaged with new mode every season.

-make good battle pass with sensible quests that are fun to complete.

I think it will conquer industry if they execute something on this level.

S
Given the failures of Halo Infinite, if you were in charge of Halo what would you do? Reboot? Remakes? Restarts? Multi only? Single player only? More TV show, less TV show?

Personally I've only played Halo 1 and a bit of Halo 2. I've also never seen the TV show. I am not Halo expert but I just am a bit surprised that it fell off so hard after they changed developers.
Don't listen to people who have only played 2 Halo games for starters *rolleyes*

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
First thing I would do is symbolically "kill" the series. Disband 343i. Rebuild a new studio and a game series around that.

Fbh

I haven't played the Infinite campaign so I don't really know where the story ends so far but I'd do a sort of soft reboot.

Start a new saga that doesn't erase the past but works as a standalone story that anyone can enjoy with zero previous knowledge (but with references and details that old fans will be able to pick up).

-Fun high budget single player with optional co-op
-Classic multiplayer with a good number of maps at launch
-Some sort of Battle Royale and/or extraction shooter mode for the zoomers
-Battle pass and a good selection of cosmetic microtransactions and I'd try to get as many third party collaborations as possible

Put a big team behind it to constantly release new content, seasons, battle passes , etc. We are Microsoft, we got the money.

Give it to another first-party developer. 343 had like 4 chances so far and every iteration was "OK" at best. Someone new needs to get their hands on this with more passion.

Fbh Fbh As far as mutiplayer, they did all that minus the coop I believe. Its not about the graphics, they need a better writer, someone to make new epic setpieces. I finished Infinite like 2 months ago and I cant remember a single memorable moment.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Do what George Lucas did with Star Wars before he sold it to Disney: license the IP.
The amount of bangers we got under that deal is insane.

This apply to all the american industry

EACH GAME NEED TO BE A REBOOT

Final Fantasy can go forever because of that, Américans do the stupid 2000 trend of trilogy, now that the og trilogy is over, they have nothing good to work

Halo, Gears, Etc all need it

Each game Its supposed to be a event, with a NEW Story, characters, gameplay, weapons, enemies, bosses, Etc

Each NEW entry need to be an event, like FF, Persona or mainline zelda, not another sequel of a sequel of a Story of a trilogy who ended Long ago

And for fuck sake kill the "Expanded Universe" Just because you can write alot, does not mean is good, it matter or is relevant

Wildebeest

It started to all go wrong with Halo 2. But what needs to be done is for Halo to go into maintenance mode and deliver on the core experience rather than expanding to be some media empire. Make sure the old games are playable and remake if needed in ways that don't make them worse. A new game should put the space opera elements front and centre. Awesome soundtrack, big expansive space scenes, weird new aliens, ridiculous heroics, large set piece battles. Fire people who people start insisting on live services, competitive gaming, writing that involves social realism or romance. Just kick them off the project.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Get a new developer on it asap then Total reboot from the ground up. Look at what made the campaigns and mp of 1-reach so memorable, and do that again. Just make a multiplayer mode like halo 3. No live service bs, no battle pass, just a solid multiplayer mode that will make people care about arena shooters again. Get rid of masterchief, cortana, burn it all down. Just a straight reboot thats about the unsc vs the covenant on a halo ring and you play as a largely silent spartan with a new ai companion. Get rid of all expanded lore, start halo over again and give us new takes on the flood, and fore runners. Just call it halo, and thats it.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Never played the game, and outside of GAF I only find snippets of Halo lore in fanfictions, like what would happen if a Halo ship go in the Mass effect universe. So my knowledge is less than zero. But I rememer reading somewhere( here or in a Reddid post) that Halo were great for the liberty you had in contextual actions, like the last boss in the first Halo that you can kill with a few very differents ways.

So I would create a free demo/preview where you can simply have something like the shooting stage in RE 4 remake. You begin with old weapons like a western revolver, and go up until you got the futuristic weapons of Halo. Then you finish the stage, and have a great CGI cinematic that show that you succeded in your training and are now a soldier. Then you go to Reach? The place where humanity get a huge loss, and we get the info that a remake of the first Halo is in the works. A good one, like it was made by Bluepoint, and only for next gen. Probably stupid, but if the game series does have a lot of lore in the form of books and other stuff I would love to see how we get from old weapons to futuristic ones.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ditch the free to play multiplayer, you can have some microtransactions but making the whole games revenue be just from them is going to put people off and commit a lot of resources to making stuff that doesnt affect gameplay.

Robb

Gold Member
Make the story less complicated and add more fun gameplay mechanics. Also make the world more alive and varied with different biomes. I thought the grappling hook was a great addition to Infinite.

I feel like there’s no limit to the stuff they could to with the weapons. Why not add a gravity gun? Or a portal gun? I’m sure level designers would love to go crazy with those mechanics in mind and it could result in some great/fun levels.

Not sure what they should do with the multiplayer part. Infinite is pretty good, so keep it maybe. But they need to have a long term content plan if that’s the case, releasing stuff every 6 months with continuous delays ain’t gonna cut it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Give it a bit of a rest. Then use that time to truly come up with a proper reboot and make it more modern, ala God of War (2018).

I have no nostalgic attachment with Halo and when I play it, it feels too old-school and archaic to me. They need to let go of "what the hardcore Halo fans would think about what we're doing" and just focus on making a top-notch modern AAA FPS shooter with a great campaign.

Shubh_C63

Competent Story. Incredible set pieces, like atleast 4 Uncharted level scenes that make people talk.

Make Master Chief a myth, a legend. Should be the longest Campaign in Halo history and you get to meet MC on the 2 hour mark concluding a mini set piece played by some other team not at all related to what MC is doing. Let their story converge and B story become the obvious focus.

Terran changing. Drop a freakin nuke somehere in the open world, Stir shit up and have a crater for the remainder of campaign.

Let 2 factions fight each other in the open world and you get to kick everyones ass. Good solution for Halo Infinite's standing around mob. Have public events, drop a freakin small curated skirmishes on random basis.

Have HALO RPG ELEMENTS. No way you say, Watch it happen anyway with Halo 6. Armor Add-ons, Gun Add ons, UI Add ons.

DON'T try to go big big story mode, you have fucked up more than twice. Tell a contained story about rescue, or redemption, or Master Chief being depressed just being nomad with no purpose and by the end of campaign finally gets clarity what to make sense of all the bullshit story 343 has cornered themselves in and gets ready to finish the fight for Halo 7.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Give it time. 343 have done enough damage that people need a clean break and have people yearn for a new Halo.
The next console is expected in 2027/8.
Reboot the franchise then with launch of the Nextbox.

Next game is called Halo.
Have it be similar to the original story but tweaks to keep it fresh.

Have Halo and Halo Multiplayer separate.
Concentrate on multiplayer and have another team remake the maps to date, and have the different modes available. These maps can then be released in regular intervals to keep engagement.

Plan a proper Halo TV show, the other show is fairly mid. Have it release around the time of the reboot. The show should be expected to have a 3 season outline that the games will follow.

By keeping multiplayer separate so when the Halo 2 appears, you add new Halo 2 maps at release.

Killzone could do with a similar treatment.

In regards to pure gameplay terms, Halo infinite is the best in the franchise. In fairness 343 nailed the feel of the game. What I can't understand is why they can't wrap a good game around it. Its strange because Halo 4 campaign was actually decent and could have been built upon but instead they went backwards and got rid of what was good about Halo 4.

Some wild suggestions here that will throwaway fanbase that's stuck with them for over 20 yrs.

Try booting Infinite, you will get matches in minutes, who exactly is still playing Infinite?

And turning it into Sony style blockbuster are most hilarious. When was the last time Xbox made anything like that? They have a completely different philosophy of what makes a good game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cancel the TV show, shut down Shitfinite, focus on MCC going forward. Why would I do this, it is not a premier franchise anymore, it is for old people primarily, and for them MCC is totally great and awesome. There's no point in maintaining two games going forward, just treat it as the legacy franchise it is these days. I would also try to put it on Switch and PS5, because why the hell not? It's not driving any gamepass subs. Maybe down the road you even incorporate Halo 5 and Shitfinite into MCC, but the point is that this is the one game that is Halo for people who want to play Halo.

Maybe in 10 years revisit the series with a new singleplayer campaign but something totally completely new, none of this horrid constant retcon/soft reboot shit 343 has been doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom