• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were in charge of Halo what would you do?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Xbox has enough RPG's but a AAA Halo RPG where you start as an ODST, assemble a team and save the world.

It should be light on lore and nerdy shit. Big on set peices and production value.

Banned
None of the 343i stories happened. Halo 4 is UNC and Sanghelli fighting Flood that have managed to breed brutes for host bodies and a threat from another galaxy. I want playable Elites in single player damnit. Halo 2's campaign shat on 3's and Reach's for that alone. They are far more interesting than humans.

Clamber is fine as long as maps are not designed to make it necessary, a Spartan should be able to climb shit. I like your other suggestions. Bring dual wielding back and...
25a.jpg

what a spartan should and shouldn't be able to do is irrelevant. clamber is a bad game mechanic that trivialises traversal and slows down gameplay.
it also goes against the core gameplay principles of Halo 1-3, which is run and gun shooting. no movement ability should ever alter the way your gun and/or aiming works. clamber does both, so it has to fuck off.

due to the wallkick I'm proposing it would also become completely replaced by the verticality achieved from a wallkick. meanwhile the wallkick doesn't lock you into an animation and doesn't limit your ability to fight, which raises the skill ceiling and simplifies/streamlines the core movement at the same time.
now a good player can outmaneuver you while killing you at the same time.

and maps not being designed with clamber as a necessity wouldn't stop there being some jumps that would be found that only work by using clamber, and such jumps simply shouldn't exist as it would lock a good player into an animation, which is automatically a lower skill alternative to being able to get good enough to do the jump backwards and get up that same ledge by doing a wallkick all while keeping fully engaged in combat doing it :)

in short. the wallkick idea is meant to 100% replace the low skill clamber mechanic, to speed up gameplay, raise the skill ceiling, and keep the gameplay true to Halo 1-3 with your abilities to fight never being hindered by your movement

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Xbox has enough RPG's but a AAA Halo RPG where you start as an ODST, assemble a team and save the world.

It should be light on lore and nerdy shit. Big on set peices and production value.
What would be the point of an RPG without lore and nerdy shit? That's the whole genre!

Realise I'm fronting a franchise with a low IQ fanbase who wants everything to improve while changing nothing

Brother, I feel that.

Brigandier

Make Master Chief feel like a badass again and have his weaponry feel more destructive and sound better.

Grounded violence with more realistic kills/action, This is war against killer savage Aliens it's kill or be killed I wanna see MC decapitate and close range knife enemies with absolutely zero remorse etc, less cartoony more gritty.

Some people will disagree and say it won't be halo but the formula it is currently reusing over and over is tired dated and needs a reboot.

More set pieces like ship/pelican shoot outs and taking over enemy vehicles.

Better AI and stop recycling the same enemy movement animations and sounds ffs

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I would disband 343i, and return the franchise back to Bungie on the proviso that they make a new big budget singleplayer Myth: The Fallen Lords trilogy, with Marty O'Donnell scoring the soundtrack.

Quixz

I would make an ODST themed BR/Extraction game aimed at Tarkov and Apex, if this fails, close shop. GG Halo

the_master

Focus on single player and coop

Remake Halo CE with a few changes in the story that are part of the story. (Like FF VII Remake)

Add a bit of strategy / command / battle prep on some level checkpoints, and a few branching points on levels and side oportunities. Make it super replayable with unlockable options and paths. Achieving greater challenges and rewards and the possibility to add more content theough the months. (Open a door to a new path, save some marines that give tou a flying vehicle or a quest…

The key of the game is still the gameplay. Prototype a lot a few new concepts and mechanics that fit and enhanvce the core gameplay discard all the ones that do not.

Bigger battles, more epic scenes. Scarabs and more.
Wide linear levels with open areas + “Small” sandbox levels (visually big but the right size to make the level fun).

Rethink the whole multiplayer concept.

Apocryphon

I’d license out the IP and have ONI and ODST games developed. ONI as a first/third-person ARPG, ODST as a third-person squad based tactical shooter.

Produce a Created conflict game featuring Locke, then a sequel that details Lockes presumed death on Installation 07 prior to Master Chiefs arrival in Infinite.

…surprise… Locke’s alive. Sequel to Infinite featuring both Locke and Chief.

Rickyiez

Hire a few anime artist from Mihoyo, make Halo a gacha mobile game then profit??

Seriously there's no serious answer for this dead franchise anymore

Fredrik

The lore is deep, there is a million things they could do with the IP.

I would try a different genre.

Halo Tactics like Gears Tactics, turn-based, with added roleplaying on top. AAAA quality cut scenes.

Realtime and isometric and open between the fights. Lots of biome and enemy variety.

Mix it up with some stylized Tron-like Cortana gameplay where she traverse a cool virtual world in third person view.

Varteras

Gold Member
Reboot it. Start over from the beginning. Retell the original game. Keep all the major beats of it and fan favorite moments. But expand it. Flesh out greater sections of the game. Add moments not in the original. A remake of sorts but one that just significantly expands it. For multiplayer? Have the smaller scale arena combat with tons of modes and cosmetic unlocks. For Big Team Battle? This is where you go nuts. Think Battlefield, but in the Halo universe. Spartans vs Elites. Objective-based gameplay. Lots of vehicular combat. Ability to call in squads of NPCs that have different capabilities, bombing runs, orbital bombardments, etc. Have weapon mods and attachments that you unlock. But these are reserved for BTB. Arena weapons will be standardized for competitive play. Maybe go with a class-based system that has different abilities and gadgets. I think this would cover both the nostalgia junkies but also people who want something different out of Halo. I think the Halo setting is perfect for a Battlefield-style multiplayer mode.

NikuNashi

Remove 343, take old yeller into the pasture, a handful of treats in hand and lead it behind the shed for a sympathy end. Then cleanup the mess of blue hair and nose rings and pass the franchise to a bunch of talented devs.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Big action, smaller areas, an actual story. 343 can still make it. Or let ID have it.

If they can't come up with a good idea then they should just scrap it or put it on the shelf for another 10-15 years until they decide what to do.

Halo Infinite could've been amazing but they fucked it up. I loved the open world and the gameplay. The story wasn't bad, I think. I was expecting them to build upon the game with expansions but they just left it to die. I know it's ironic but I wish they copied Destiny. You create your own Master Chief and your own Cortana, new expansions come out every year or so, you can explore the world and team up with others to do raids, etc. If you want classic PVP you can still do that. Obviously I wouldn't want such a heavy focus on grinding and having to treat it like a second job. So yeah a more casual Destiny game.

I'm not sure I want a simple single player game with multiplayer attached.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

confused-cat-taking-double-look-dp8coysbh0qfqx8j.gif

License idtech to/from who?
Microsoft owns id and idtech?

id is already an in house studio, they even helped out with visuals of Starfield.
Theres no reason to assume id wouldnt have id engineers working with studio x to make a Halo game, if not id themselves.

P.S I know UE5 is still fresh, i been following it since it launched.........I work in UE5 after my company saw its real time demos and decided it would make an excellent "low quality" or realtime renderer, and ive been "forced" to basically learn UE5 to teach the rest of the render team.
Im thinking of secretly just using D5 or making a bunch of studio levels/environments which the rest of the team can just Datasmith assets into with a few variables exposed for any fine tuning they might want to do.....teaching old dogs new tricks can be a chore.

P.P.S If you are expecting the visuals to look good and the game to run at 60fps then the internal resolution will most certainly be below 1080p....DSR + TSR from 720p - 1080p wouldnt even be remotely shocking.
Fortnite UE5 on nextgen consoles runs with an internal resolution of anywhere from 864p.
My apologies, i know MS has been on a tear buying publishers/devs/tech, but i didnt realize they already owned ID Tech.

Also, since you clearly have first hand knowledge of UE5, do you think with time/optimizations/improvements that the engine wont get more performant?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My apologies, i know MS has been on a tear buying publishers/devs/tech, but i didnt realize they already owned ID Tech.

Also, since you clearly have first hand knowledge of UE5, do you think with time/optimizations/improvements that the engine wont get more performant?

Microsoft have owned id and idtech since 2021.

UE5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2 had massive improvements to the engines performance and featureset but even in its current iteration once you activate Lumen and Nanite it gets pretty damn heavy on the GPU/CPU and if you arent using those technolgies there isnt much advantage to using UE5 over other engines.

5.3 is already in testing, rather anticlimactically the feature im most looking forward to is orthographic rendering but its supposedly also going to bring Lumen Async compute for consoles which should improve performance.
It will inevitably get more performant, but for this generation atleast I think we should just abandon the thought of games being 1440p60 or higher, they will all render internally at much lower resolutions if the game is using Lumen and Nanite.

To put things into perspective Immortals of Aveum one of the first "AAA" looking UE5.1 games has a minimum.....minimum spec of a 2080Super to play at 1080p....if you want to play at 1440p60 the spec is a 3080Ti.

Where as idtech is already super performant, its not an ugly engine by any measure and by having in house engineers on the team any features a dev/techartist/level designer might want can be implemented by the people who make and manage the engine.
If idtech has an analog to Nanite/Virtual Geometry then Unreals biggest advantage is pretty done and dusted.....and i honestly cant imagine any current gen engine not thinking about implementing virtual geometry of their own cuz its such a boon to artists.

AndrewRyan

Lower the price. Haven't played yet cause I want to play through the single player campaign first but don't think the price has ever dipped below $30.

Fabieter

I liked halo 1 to halo 3 foe being arena shooter without any loadouts and having big maps. It was direct and easy fun, I kinda miss that in the newer games. I still liked the stories in the sequels but they definitely need to go back to coop day one splitscreen and online.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Halo Infinite was one of the best playing FPS games ever made. Too bad they couldn't make content for it. Obviously the Slipspace engine is difficult to create content for and should have never been used for a live service game.

Now as for what I would do. I would have The Coalition make an open world (Ring) third person action game. Then assuming that pans out, release a BR mode for it with some Halo themed twist on the typical format.

Pantz

Multiplayer should be it's own f2p platform like Call of Duty Warzone.

Singleplayer is an easy fix. Time travel portals and bring back Sgt. Johnson.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bungie has dragged itself through the gutter worse than Halo by 343i. Terrible management of Destiny 2
Worse than? Nah. That's not to say I don't recognize their fuck ups they did with it.

I'm confident they'd knock single player Halo out of the park in comparison to 343 just out of pure spite.

Del_X

Worse than? Nah. That's not to say I don't recognize their fuck ups they did with it.

I'm confident they'd knock single player Halo out of the park in comparison to 343 just out of pure spite.
They haven’t made decent single player offering in 13 years

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They haven’t made decent single player offering in 13 years
And? 343 has been failing with every attempt which got worse and worse each iteration.

Not making =/= can't make

Bungie left off on a high note.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Clearly we need Halo JRPG series to capture that audience in Japan and Asia in general.

We have the backstory that Master Chief fucks from the TV show. Let's run with it.

Master Chief is an Isekai gamer who quickly builds up his Harem. Will leave membership to your imagination.

Combat can be action RPG, perhaps as in Tales or say Gods Eater with mainly guns.

Stats, loot, skills, etc all apply. You visit several planets. There will be some obvious plot twists and lots of JRPG bombastic villains.

MS can run an anime based on the new game and have all kinds of merchandising opportunity.

Kojima will be producer and MS will nab Nomura from SE to direct.

Edit: MP will be strictly Co-OP. There will be a spin-off MP game mode that can be purchased as a DLC or as stand-alone item. Hmm..maybe even F2P, that way they can release on console, PC and mobile!

Last edited:
Remake Halo 3 from ground up keep story & multiplayer same but with modern graphics no battle pass, put the old dlc maps in for free keep classic ranking system 1 to 50 but it resets every 3 months a season if u will, and have the same stats system with a dedicated website tracking everything have a file share system straight to you tube.

Most importantly put Id Software on the case and sack everyone at 343 and put a bag of shit on fire at the front door of bonnie Ross and Phil Spencer's house, oh and stop paying and being associated with Paid Xbox fanboys on twitter Colteastwood as an example makes Xbox look choc full of cunts when it's not (well not everyone)

TheGrat1

what a spartan should and shouldn't be able to do is irrelevant.
In a Halo game???
clamber is a bad game mechanic that trivialises traversal and slows down gameplay.
it also goes against the core gameplay principles of Halo 1-3, which is run and gun shooting. no movement ability should ever alter the way your gun and/or aiming works. clamber does both, so it has to fuck off.
I am saying that if clamber were added to Halo 2, a game where no maps were created to take it into account, it would be fine. At that point clamber would only come into effect if you mistimed your platforming. Therefore it behaves as a penalty for not playing well and players have an incentive to avoid it.

First off I would buy a few gallons of gasoline and burn 343 to the ground.
Destiny is what halo should have been so I'm pretty sure bungie is the studio halo should be given back.
Make it multiplatform so more people play it
Make it next gen only
Launch with 15 20 arena Maps
Input based ranked mm
Launch with forge and coop
Atleast 4 maps every season so people have a reason to come back.
Etc etc

1. Fire 343i and build a new team of veteran and fresh new talented devs (make sure the studio has sufficient headcount and isn't reliant on contractors)
  2. Make sure the creative leads are franchise Halo fans and understand intimately what gamers loved about Halo 1, 2, 3, and Reach
  3. Plan the next mainline Halo entry as a soft reboot, focussed on MC and the covenant together with a fresh new threat that isn't just shitty flying cyber dogs or Pete the piggy-nosed space gorilla
  4. Fire any staff writer who proposes a script that includes MC doting on Cortana a-fucking-gain. Halo is a game for dudebros. Dudebros do not fucking want to see MC crying over a cyber blue lady with big virtual tits.
  5. Move away from shitty empty open-world game design
  6. Move to UE5
  7. Retcon the entire Halo transmedia expanded universe. Completely dump all that shit and start the lore afresh using only the stories told in Halo 1-3
  8. Actually, tell a good story in the mainline Halo game
  9. Make sure the MP is tight and fun and not aping COD
  10. ...
  11. ..
  12. .
  13. Win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom