• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Can we blame GOW: Ascension for this? It never should have happened in my opinion.

Also I have a general question about studios. How does SSM which has an ok record of putting out games has to let people go, but some studios like Remedy that made only 3 games in the last decade survive?
That and the fact that they had their hands in 3 big flops in 2012: Twisted Metal, Starhawk, and PSABR, all of which now have defunct devs. Although I don't know how many devs they actually devote to those projects.

rdrr gnr

Looks like Adam Puhl (lead combat designer on GoW I, II & III) is part of the layoffs. Edited his bio. Was involved with Stig's project.

BhW7VusCEAASHfY.jpg:large
Abominable. Where are our insiders? This IP was supposed to be huge.

Gusto

There is so much wrong with this post. Yes, Microsoft is making good decisions now. Too bad no one cares who is even remotely interested in real next gen graphics for the majority of its games. Sorry, but this dude ain't going back to 900p and dogshit fps with little no AA.

It has never ever been about the graphics *sighs*

And your idea that Micro is locking in all these exclusive is shaky at best imo. You see from your post one might gather that Sony is in dire trouble. It's so laughable as to be completely inane.

The only thing shaky is when I own a PS4 and want to play TitanBalls, PvZ, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive, Peggle 2 and Killer Instinct while I just sit and wait for Second Son with my fingers crossed.

Vizzeh

Banned
Theres a chance their focussing on 1 game with less resources on a second. The other project maybe on hold and not necessarily canceled. (There could still be 2 ongoing projects with some out-sourcing)

F4r0_Atak

I doubt Stig's project(s) has been cancelled, but its team size surely must have been affected by the cut.

Could be anyone in this picture, but I guess Stig's project could still be healthy.

Looks like Adam Puhl (lead combat designer on GoW I, II & III) is part of the layoffs. Edited his bio. Was involved with Stig's project.

Ugh, that's a huge bummer. Wasn't that the possible science fiction IP teased in Ascension?

I can only assume that ND's Savage Starlight got the go-ahead instead.

jett

D-Member

Well, that's a shame. God of War 4: We have totally not bled this stone dry yet! incoming.

I get ppl feeling bad cus ppl lost their job (shit that happens every single day), but lol a the tears for a cancelled game you'll never hear about.

I get ppl feeling bad cus ppl lost their job (shit that happens every single day), but lol a the tears for a cancelled game you'll never hear about.

Well yes, because we care about games. Those people could have been working on something original and spectacular, but we'll never get to play it or even know what it was.

Cyberia

Mind you: he was from day one involved with the new IP so there's no reason yet to assume the new IP got canceled.

Sucks though that 10+ year veteran left the studio.

why are people crying about an ip we know nothing about? it sucks that we won't get to see it, but there must be a legit reason they can't continue with the project. not to mention there's no guarantee the ip will be good let alone better than gow.

Seeing these GoW combat designers laid off obviously sucks for them but it's good for the series. Combat is one of it's weakest aspects and is not up to par with the high tier of action games and never has been. GoW needs a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom