• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Yoshida in charge? Yes.
smh at some people here. they didn't fire people just to spite on gamers. the project is probably going nowhere, or isn't fulfilling the business needs of the organisation.

has anyone here ever been involved in a project in a business organisation? no one cancels a project for the lulz.

beril

If the project they were on was cancelled, keeping them would have very likely meant Sony would have been paying them to twiddle their thumbs, for an indefinite period of downtime that could extend for weeks, months, or even over a year.

You can't just whisk up a new project out of thin air, or outsource/assist whatever project, by dumping 50 hands on it and expecting results. Productions have specific needs, and very specific people and processes that it must go through before it can even be green lit to "go into production". Even if they immediately got a new project going from scratch, these 50 people would most likely not have been necessary until a year or so down the line when it would be ready for the next phase in development.

We don't know the positions those that were laid off held in the company, but it was likely that their skill set was no longer necessary or required at that moment.

Outsourcing to another studio that is readily staffed up? That is very literally taking away work from the already hired hands at that studio (and even if they did help, and finished the project faster? Guess which people now have nothing to do and must be laid off as well?)

Within a publisher as big as Sony there is definitely room for an extra 50 people helping out via outsourcing. So no they wouldn't be twiddling their thumbs. It may not be an ideal situation, but if they're still dedicated to creating new IPs and want SM to be a multi project studio it'd be a temporary situation, and better than downsizing one of their premier studios and loosing a ton of experienced devs.

Gusto

I doubt Stig's project(s) has been cancelled, but its team size surely must have been affected by the cut.

Could be anyone in this picture, but I guess Stig's project could still be healthy.

My guess, the goonies

ICHzUCV.jpg

Carl

smh at some people here. they didn't fire people just to spite on gamers. the project is probably going nowhere, or isn't fulfilling the business needs of the organisation.

has anyone here ever been involved in a project in a business organisation? no one cancels a project for the lulz.

Sony cancelled it because they're arrogant and think PS4 doesn't need any more games and that's the only reason

Didn't the guy call demons souls unbelievably bad or something? Not trying to say he's a bad guy when it comes to things like this but its not like he has a good track record when it comes to it.
the game was buggy and glitchy when he played it. at least do some research before spreading nonsense.

GetemMa

Shame that people lost their jobs.

I blame the leadership that decided to milk God of War for a prequel. I can't look at Ascension as anything other than an obvious uninspired cash grab and apparently so did the fans.

Fezan

Layoffs are always bad news but its mostly low level programmers and artist etc. Firing senior guys is the first time i am hearing and that's not a good sign. Seriously closing of liverpool which would have made a technically beautiful good game at console launch plus firing 50 people which includes many seniors is a bad thing for the future projects of sony

jay

Within a publisher as big as Sony there is definitely room for an extra 50 people helping out via outsourcing. So no they wouldn't be twiddling their thumbs. It may not be an ideal situation, but if they're still dedicated to creating new IPs and want SM to be a multi project studio it'd be a temporary situation, and better than downsizing one of their premier studios and loosing a ton of experienced devs.

Your problem is you see people as more than another resource like pens and staplers.

newjeruse

Didn't the guy call demons souls unbelievably bad or something? Not trying to say he's a bad guy when it comes to things like this but its not like he has a good track record when it comes to it.
He put Demon's and Dark Souls as a tie for his 2nd and 3rd best games of the generation. So nope.

This is worrying, at the start of the PS4 generation. I can only hope that it was the project that wasn't going anywhere, not that they're running out of funding for internal AAA development.

V_Ben

Banned
So they shitcanned Stig's game? That game was in developement for 4 years. Ouch! :(

Seems that way. Poor folks, having their project canned after so long. I do have to wonder how the project was shaping up, in terms of actually being a sellable game. Could have been another sufferer of Starhawk syndrome, great ideas wrapped up in a totally unappealing way.

Caronte

Did I say he would cancel a project for the lulz? All I'm saying is that I question his judgement and past decisions.

Exactly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They should fire more. Studios are way too big nowdays.

Also I will never understand why people feel sorry/bad for others getting fired. It is so weird.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you're not an adult.

jay

He put Demon's and Dark Souls as a tie for his 2nd and 3rd best games of the generation. So nope.

He did call Demons Souls bad though. That's why Atlus published the game and Sony skipped it. It does take a big man to embrace what is very popular only after it has become popular, though.

Shame that people lost their jobs.

I blame the leadership that decided to milk God of War for a prequel. I can't look at Ascension as anything other than an obvious uninspired cash grab and apparently so did the fans.

I used to believe this to be true, but the Gamasutra article on Ascension and ND article by IGN had me thinking that maybe devs themselves do want to work on games that had built the popularity of the studio. Slew of people left ND after they decided to move onto a new IP instead of continuing on with Jak/Daxster.

Of course, leadership plays a role in greenlighting said games, but the interest in developing said games may not always be a top-down decision.

Sigh. Today I learned that some gaffers think every new IP is magically perfect and awesome and is going to be really good and fun just because, hey, it's a new IP.

A publisher as big as Sony has development houses and offices all over the planet. It's not as simple as "okay, just go next door, we've got a need for a matte painter, magically". And if those Sony owned devs did have a need for anyone, they will advertise it so those afflicted can apply to those other studios. And this usually (and probably is) the case.
Either way, the cancellation of a new IP is bad. If it's on preproduction, it was too soon to say if it was going to be bad.
Watch this *glimpse* of what developing a new IP is like from one of the most competent developers on the planet. Actually lot of you should watch this, to get again, just a glimpse of the hardships and troubles a new IP runs into, and why not all of them are destined for release.

If it's the new IP, the project must have been going nowhere, making Sony afraid of throwing money after another last guardian. You don't cancel a game lightly when it's been been in development for 4 years..

He played an early build, a build which nearly everyone who played it says wasn't very good (if you want proof, there are TGS early impressions on GAF that weren't very popular either). You really should do the smallest bit of research before you bring up things like this.

soultron

Banned
You learn to tense up if:

A) There's nothing to work on (after your current project wraps or you roll off early)
B) Your current project gets cancelled and A) then becomes true

My guess is the other projects SSM is working on didn't have capacity to add other staffers (from the cancelled one) to it. Sometimes it can take a long time to ramp onto a new project and if it's in a really high pressure stage of development, it can have diminishing returns.

I hope the people affected by this land on their feet.

I'm skeptical on it being the new IP, though.

All indications show that the game has been in the cooks long enough that a lead-writer's been on the project for 3 years, and that the game has been in full-production mode immediately after Ascension shipped, as the full team count transitioned onto the new project.

If it's in full-production, that means that for what it's worth, they have a working skeleton of a game that was good enough to start building on top of it. Canning a project at that stage seems ridiculous.

Mortemis

Banned
the game was buggy and glitchy when he played it. at least do some research before spreading nonsense.

From what I read, he says that when he first played it, and he later on played a near final version and still said it was bad, but maybe I just misunderstood that and he said both comments about the near final version.

Whatever man, I'm just bitter since SSM is one of my favorite Sony studios and any rumor saying a new IP from them getting cancelled gets to me.

I used to really really want to work in the Games Industry.

I'm sure these people, Irrational, SSM, and so on don't regret their life decisions. I sure wouldn't. They are doing what they love, I'm sure.

But, hearing of the extreme volatility of the games industry... maybe I'm better off keeping "games" as a hobby.

Nista

I have a suspicion that the open world game is the one that got hit, from the social media outpouring from today.

Caronte

oh like not publishing demons souls which was a buggy mess when it was pitched to him? please, you played a finished product. learn the difference.

"Pitched to him"? You do know SCEJ helped to make it from the beginning, right? And you do know Sony did publish the game in Japan, right? Why didn't he change his mind when the game was close to being released, after they fixed it?

jay

"Pitched to him"? You do know SCEJ helped to make it from the beginning, right? And you do know Sony did publish the game in Japan, right? Why didn't he change his mind when the game was close to being released, after they fixed it?

Clearly Sony in Japan must have been fools to produce and publish that broken crap.

I'm skeptical on it being the new IP, though.

All indications show that the game has been in the cooks long enough that a lead-writer's been on the project for 3 years, and that the game has been in full-production mode immediately after Ascension shipped, as the full team count transitioned onto the new project.

If it's in full-production, that means that for what it's worth, they have a working skeleton of a game that was good enough to start building on top of it. Canning a project at that stage seems ridiculous.
why not? that's basic project management. if the project isn't working or the outlook isn't looking good, you'd lose less money the earlier you stop/cancel it. i know a company which lost 200k 6 months into a supposed 2-year project which would've cost them 4 million had they continued with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom