• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
Such commitment to New IP, this is such bullshit. At this point I'm really starting to regret my PS4 purchase, they need to start pushing some positive news out there soon, and I don't give a fuck about how many units it's sold. I want to know what they plan to do about supporting their "successful" platform.

Obviously nothing. Sell your PS4 now.

cebri.one

Stig out too???

Omar ayman ‏@omek90 3 min
@TooPawned @jonathanhawkins @NaughtyGods can u tell us anything about stig ??

jonathanhawkins ‏@jonathanhawkins 1 min
@omek90 @TooPawned @NaughtyGods @AmirDrake97 No comment. Sorry.

Spiegel

There's a new GOW game? Source please.

No, they haven't announced it, but mainline GOW games are one of the biggest selling SCEWWS games and it's all SSM has been working for the past 10 years.

It's not hard to think that they were working on another GOW and new IP. (See ND and Uncharted/new IP)

And now they have canned the new IP.

Drencrom

They have been working on it for about 4 years I think. If the game was bad and not coming together it was cancelled. This happens all the time. Shuttering the studio is the surprise.

Yeah, that's probably what happened here. It might've been a PS3 title too if they really started after GoW3.

Vizzeh

Banned
Now i want to know what they were making. :(

Just like the video we seen earlier in the the thread, with a sit down with a development team documentary who did Spiro the dragon, sometimes games just dont work, gameplay/story/fun. Sad fact of life.

I imagine if it was due to be a winner it would have continued, but likely its the reason for the studios layoffs and not just because Sony are trimming down. Cant keep 50 Staff around unfortunately if there is no work for them for maybe a year while they work up another development project (speculation ofc)

Sendou

This is just tragic. What he posted just five days ago:

jonathanhawkins6ubmt.png

Gorillaz

What are the vets supposed to work on if their project gets canned?

I'm pretty sure they have more then one thing in the pipeline. Shit canning them does raise some eyebrows...

unless they haven't been doing shit the entire time and just barely doing work and they got caught with their pants down.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm pretty sure they have more then one thing in the pipeline. Shit canning them does raise some eyebrows...

unless they haven't been doing shit the entire time and just barely doing work and they got caught with their pants down.

Yes but those games already have staff. I'm sure they can save a handful of people but 50? No way.

And with its cancellation GAF will now proclaim the new ip the greatest thing ever despite knowing nothing about it. Who knows? Perhaps it wasn't that good. Regardless, good luck to those affected. I hope Barlog makes something good. Though we probably won't see anything out of SSM for a while. Very disappointing.

Samyy

Not sure which part of that comment was a meltdown. It's simple logic...you might not be capable of it tho given your response. Not everything is 'lolsalt, lolmeltdown'

People ignoring what good Shuhei has done, only looking at the bad. Did anyone have a problem with Shuhei before the start of the new generation? No. People are just mad and overanalyzing because they are impatient, they knew no other games were announced but they bought the fucking console anyway and now they whine about things to be revealed. Why didn't they just wait until these things were revealed in the first place? I will never understand.

Mifune

Mehmber
Not sure which part of that comment was a meltdown. It's simple logic...you might not be capable of it tho given your response. Not everything is 'lolsalt, lolmeltdown'

We don't know what state the game was in. If it wasn't coming together it very well could have been the responsibility of the team not the overseer. Thing is WE DON'T KNOW.

Loris146

People ignoring what good Shuhei has done, only looking at the bad. Did anyone have a problem with Shuhei before the start of the new generation? No. People are just mad and overanalyzing because they are impatient, they knew no other games were announced but they bought the fucking console anyway and now they whine about things to be revealed. Why didn't they just wait until these things were revealed in the first place? I will never understand.

Yep, me too. Anyway maybe the new ip was for ps3?

B.O.O.M

Is Stig's project the one that was supposedly teased in Ascension through that easter egg?

No clue. The game was first teased by Stig himself..I think in 2010 E3 pre-show. (might have been 2011) He said something about working on something new and cool etc.

The Ascension teaser is most definitely for a new God of War game ..don't think Stig was working on that but who knows

Not Stig's game is gone
Cory JUST started his project so doubt we will see anything for a long time
Ascension team finished recently too

So no game reveals from Sony Santa Monica for a while it seems like..disappointing

iceatcs

You just decided to blame someone. It seem to me meltdown.

Of course there always a fault but against someone is pointless.

ReaperXL7

Obviously nothing. Sell your PS4 now.

Throw all the snark out that you like, but despite all its success Sony's been none too forthcoming with any news about their first party support for the system, and now we find out that atleast one of those games has been cancelled. SSM is a studio I buy consoles to play their games, they develop/ produce quality product on many occasions, and yet Last Guardian is allowed to drain funding for an entire geneneration as SSM takes it in the ass.

The head of SSM makes the calls on the projects and who gets hired and fired. Yoshida is her boss but she, and other proven studios within Sony, are given autonomy.

People mad at Yoshida or think this has to do with God of war are off the mark.

Sometimes a project is just bad and needs to be canceled. It sucks, and it absolutely sucks for the people let go... but there is so much irrational nonsense in this thread. If a game gets canned there is usually a good reason for it. It's not like the game was awesome and Yoshida walked in and said "ascension sold like shit, cancel this awesome game, and you guys are fired."

StoopKid

Such commitment to New IP, this is such bullshit. At this point I'm really starting to regret my PS4 purchase, they need to start pushing some positive news out there soon, and I don't give a fuck about how many units it's sold. I want to know what they plan to do about supporting their "successful" platform.

I love how sony cancelled one new ip ,now all of sudden they have no new ip.

Also why in the hell would they announce a new AAA game in February ?

Where was all this hate when ms cancelled black tusk game?

StuBurns

Banned
It's very surprising to me that a game could be in development so long before the plug is pulled.

If it's not working, it's not working though.

Damn, best of luck to all those affected. I hope Stig wasn't laid off :(

The head of SSM makes the calls on the projects and who gets hired and fired. Yoshida is her boss but she, and other proven studios within Sony, are given autonomy.

Sometimes a project is just bad and needs to be canceled. It sucks, and it absolutely sucks for the people let go... but there is so much irrational nonsense in this thread. If a game gets canned there is usually a good reason for it. It's not like the game was awesome and Yoshida walked in and said "ascension sold like shit, cancel this awesome game, and you guys are fired."

Do you have any clue if this has to do with the 5K lay offs?

cebri.one

You are trying the impossible, for some people here to reason and have common sense.

Mifune

Mehmber
Throw all the snark out that you like, but despite all its success Sony's been none too forthcoming with any news about their first party support for the system, and now we find out that atleast one of those games has been cancelled. SSM is a studio I buy consoles to play their games, they develop/ produce quality product on many occasions, and yet Last Guardian is allowed to drain funding for an entire geneneration as SSM takes it in the ass.

Then sell. your. PS4. It's not worth having a meltdown over.

Empty

yikes. so much time wasted and that guys tweets make me sad. i hope it was cancelled because the project just wasn't coming together instead of for strategic reasons (i.e to focus on god of war, unhappy with style of game)

Vizzeh

Banned
How do you gather that?

Pure speculation but If I was on holiday and came back to work to find out there are rumours about layoffs, you would want to try and re-assure with positivity. I know of similar instances happening to people I know IRL. When you fear something is happening, you try and be positive/show encouragement. (if the tweet was months ago, I wouldn't likely speculate the same)

B.O.O.M

Hey bud listen, I don't know who these 'people' you are referring to..it has nothing to do with me. I have given him compliments when he has done good and gone the opposite direction when he hasn't. I'm not emotionally attached to him. Not sure what your post is doing as a reply to mine at all really..I think you're talking to some other folk.

We don't know what state the game was in. If it wasn't coming together it very well could have been the responsibility of the team not the overseer. Thing is WE DON'T KNOW.

Yes I never said it's his blame alone. But if this is stig's game it would have been in the making for a few years now. So the one overseeing the project is to be blamed too for the outcome. And like I said Stig most probably fked up somehow too

You just decided to blame someone. It seem to me meltdown.

Of course there always a fault but against someone is pointless.

I didn't pick a random guy on the street to blame..but the president of WWS. I'm disappointed with the news. Doesn't make it a meltdown..if you wanted to see a meltdown you should have seen the DRM threads near E3..we had quite a few

Samyy

Well if this was a big exclusive for Sony I wonder how they are going to replace it, I imagine it was going to be a big 2015 game.

GG are working on a sci fi RPG, SSM was working on a Sci Fi RPG.

Maybe Sony made a tough call to kill one so they didnt end up with another Reistance / Killzone situation again?

Maybe the game was just not coming together and was killed off.

I hope we find out soon.

Loris146

It wasn't for PS3. Sony's main studios are not making PS3 games anymore. They've all moved to PS4. Even DemonNite said one studio has 5+ teams working on PS4.

This was no doubt a PS4 project.

But they started work on it after GOW 3 in 2010 , about 4 years... Mah i hope we'll get new info soon.

Spiegel

Cancelling projects is one thing. Cancelling a project that has been in planning/development for almost 4 years is weird.

daman824

I love how sony cancelled one new ip ,now all of sudden they have no new ip.

Also why in the hell would they announce a new AAA game in February ?

Where was all this hate when ms cancelled black tusk game?
There was more hate directed at microsoft in the black tusk thread than their is at sony in this thread. At best, it was about even.

Still though. Four years and it hadn't even been announced yet?

Thank you for introducing common sense in this thread, mort.

I don't understand how people are trying to place the blame on Yoshida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom