• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Apple iPhone 15 Pro gaming interview "It's going to be the best gaming console"

Barakov

Gold Member

Sounds like they're quite aware of how games like Star Rail would overheat and dim and throttle previous iPhones. I will be curious for testing on if this still happens on 15 Pro. But it also sounds like they're saying "well developers can do what they want", they can reduce the power burn with MetalFX upscaling but they can still push it in that way that causes it to throttle I guess.
>Phone
>Best Gaming Console
XD2nwhX.gif

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
???

Apple iPad M series, so M1 and M2, have more power then A17 chipset. They can use Bluetooth controllers as well. What exactly are we supposed to imagine?

The issue is lack of games tailored to higher end chipsets and not the hardware.
I mean imagine playing good games on it :messenger_grinning_smiling:
The hardware itself is excellent and Apple screens are among the best so it's a very good basis for a gaming console.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everyone here falling for the clickbait title. I’ll finish the quote for you guys “the best gaming console is the one you have with you” or something. I don’t think even Apple is up its own ass enough to think that the iPhone could ever be “the best console”.

The most interesting thing in this interview is that the iPhone will apparently use a separate display out (so not mirror mode) that can drive a 4K@60 signal, which is better than Lightning with the dongle. I’m really, really hoping that they just have native DisplayPort out directly from the USB-C port without the need for some dumb proprietary Apple HDMI dongle.

Lots of haters in this thread, but this is genuinely exciting stuff. Apple silicon is absolutely nuts, and I hope they start giving more focus to gaming. I’ve been so salty (especially since the M1 released) that Apple’s SoCs are best in class, and yet arguably the most under utilized in terms of mobile software.

I jumped through the necessary hoops to install Dolphin on my iPhone 14 pro a while back, and it ran SO much better than on my Steam Deck. But it was also the most annoying thing to get to work (and keep using over time) since you have to have a developer account, verify the install once a week, etc etc. I wish Apple would just loosen up a bit and allow emulators on their store proper.

They’ve got a V12 engine under the hood that they’re using to drive 35 mph to church every Sunday. It kills me.

Last edited:
Weirdly I think that Apple Arcade has really harmed iphone/ipad gaming. Presumably as a publisher, there is very little incentive to develop on Apple's devices - they should have made it easier for publishers to make lots of money selling games on Apple devices - then you would have triple AAA titles (although I suppose that Apple don't care).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sounds like input lag hell.
As much as any Bluetooth controller on a console.

They make usb-c to hdmi cables you know.

If someone makes an adapter that lets you charge while outputting to hdmi then almost everything is solved. They already have adapters that do that for lightning ports.

The best option would be for apple to make apps save to external drives so you could make a dock that has a built in m.2 drive. You can already connect external drives via the files app but not install apps to.

nkarafo

As much as any Bluetooth controller on a console.
Not in my experience.

The wireless Microsoft dongle on PC must add a very minuscule amount because i can't tell the difference with my old wired controller.

Obviously, the official controllers connected on consoles also don't seem to have much lag.

But, using the same XBOX one pad on my Android phone, via blutooth, adds a very noticeable amount. Like VERY noticeable to the point where some games like Sonic 1 and 2 are unplayable.

Maybe my phone is shit, maybe the bluetooth dongle inside is shit, maybe the XBOX controller is shit if you connect it to anything other than the official dongle. Who knows. It's a crap shoot.

sainraja

Apple needs to make an easy solution to connecting your phone to a monitor / tv so we can play console like games.

Airplay isn’t the answer it’s to laggy in my tests.

A simple Little dock would do wonders
That would be a pretty neat as well.

Interfectum

Hyperbole but Apple is creeping closer to gaming with every release. Once they start shoving M-chips into Apple TVs you could start seeing some shit happening... especially if they start putting shit like RE4 and Death Stranding into Apple Arcade.

They aren't going to attack gaming the way MS did with Xbox. It's going to be a slow, insidious process... and you see it happening already. They have RT and upscaling built into their chips now. It's only a matter of time.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You know output to a screen it doesn't look bad, obviously way ahead of what the Switch can do, but below somewhat below the SS

I want them to make a full official Switch like kit for it, TV stand with built in fans for keeping throttling away and an adaptable controller that can either grip it or use standalone

Weirdly I think that Apple Arcade has really harmed iphone/ipad gaming. Presumably as a publisher, there is very little incentive to develop on Apple's devices - they should have made it easier for publishers to make lots of money selling games on Apple devices - then you would have triple AAA titles (although I suppose that Apple don't care).
I disagree, I had apple arcade during a 6 month promotion and they 'tried' to undo decades of mobile freemium crap by vetting better games.
The main issue for mobile is it's all pretty much dreck, muck, crap, shit et al.
Mobile needs better games and developers can't currently compete with all the free free free with a game that actually costs money.
Mobile needs a good game that we are willing to PAY for. Something that is played on a home console like a PS4 or PS5.
If apple arcade can get something like that then maybe people will be willing to pay for either the game or apple arcade with those games.

Top Bottom