• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Breaking Down Bloodborne's Combat System

Nibel

Here's a great reddit write up of the GC Bloodborne demo (thanks to my bro Omek for bringing this to my attention)

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/...oughts_after_playing_the_gamescom_bloodborne/

A picture of the two classes is included as well. I assume they use the same character model for now (?).

Bu5tOy1IgAAKSJ8.jpg

Harpuea

Reminds me of the mechanic where each time you kills or hits something, you gain health back in MMOs, MOBAs, FPSes, etc.

This leads to some interesting meta game. You go find trash mobs to beat up and heal before returning to the fight, much more item efficient. That means you never have to use items as long as you have trash mobs around.

I am not fan of this mechanic. I find it annoying as health pickup mechanic. You always have dudes camping around trash mobs or health pickup to abuse it to the max. It always devolves to who know how to heal most wins.

Of course, I know nothing about Bloodborne. I wonder how they will implement their take on this.

Reminds me of the mechanic where each time you kills or hits something, you gain health back in MMOs, MOBAs, FPSes, etc.

This leads to some interesting meta game. You go find trash mobs to beat up and heal before returning to the fight, much more item efficient. That means you never have to use items as long as you have trash mobs around.

I am not fan of this mechanic. I find it annoying as health pickup mechanic. You always have dudes camping around trash mobs or health pickup to abuse it to the max. It always devolves to who know how to heal most wins.

Of course, I know nothing about Bloodborne. I wonder how they will implement their take on this.

You have it all wrong, you are not gaining back 100% of your life back. You only have a chance to regain "some" health back after being hit if the opportunity allows it.

Drencrom

The regain system doesn't give you health for killing mobs, it gives you a chance to regain a bit health you lost when you get hit if you hit them back immediately afterwards.

Loving the weapons shown in that picture, Nibel. The font they use looks nice too (yes, fonts are important to me lol).

Rembrandt

Banned
That Regain System sounds really cool. Awards you for being on the offense. I really should have played Demon/Dark Souls before I sold my last-gen consoles.

Mechazawa

Hmm, a permanently mapped heal button sounds like a pretty big buff overall in terms of using items. Wonder how that'll play out.

Also, I hope that Vampire Hunter D cap that I imagined up in my head and was actually just a huge collar paired with a small hat ends up being in the game anyways. I wanna be D, man.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Riposte

Yeah, I like that they're treating HP a bit more like vitality in D20 Modern and Star Wars Roleplaying game.

Confirming that not every weapon recovers the same amount of health is also good news for anyone who was worried it would mean you could stay at full health all the time by constantly attacking.
I was going to say a lot of videogames stand to learn from tabletops in how health isn't always this awkward representation of literal health.

Transforming weapons in the middle of a combo reminds me on Monster Hunter's Switchaxe.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm imagining a build where your attack power or a certain element increases with successive counter hits. Living in that very dangerous edge of death zone to do the absolute maximum amount of damage every hit...

Currently grinning like an idiot. I need 2015 to fuckin be here already

I can definitely imagine a ring where your attack power increases by 50% if you hit you're enemy within that yellow timer.....the new red tearstone ring

SeanTSC

I feel like I'm going to go insane with desire if I don't media-blackout myself on this, but god, I want to know more!

Ok, I was out before because every other preview made this sound like the rest of the souls games which are just too slow for me.

But this sounds like something that although probably too slow for my liking at times, shows a tension and requirement to think quickly that I love in all games, not just action ones.

Top Bottom