• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Dark Knight Review 5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Durden said:
You should just die, both of them are good movies. If you don't like 300, you're not a man.
IT'S ON. 300 was all eye candy with no plot and nonsensical interpretations of the Battle of Thermopylae. V for Vendetta could have been good but by the time the plot made any sense (like 10 minutes before the end) you feel disappointed.

womp

I honestly found Spider-Man 2 a bore, it isn't a bad movie but I think it is very overrated. I've seen it twice and I doubt I'd ever watch it again. The original is the best IMO and the third one of the worst comic book movies ever...Which I blame Sony for.

Superman II is still my champ (Too many classic scenes especially involving Zod) and X-Men 2 probably a close second.

254664.jpg

BobLoblaw

Banned
Why no mention of movies like The Crow or Blade when mentioning great comic movies? Both were better than Spiderman 2 imo. Sin City was better also imo, though I can understand why some might not think so. S2 was ok, but all the cheap, cheesy dialog and FX completely took me out of the movie. Plus I hate Dunst. :D

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ordered my tix on Sat morning to see this in IMAX on the 18th. I am not sure when I was last this pumped about a movie.

master15

I can understand both camps that both hate and love Spiderman 2. When I first saw it in the cinemas I thought it was pretty fantastic. Loved how it examined Peter trying to juggle both his personal life and the responsibilities that come being a super hero (Although in typical Rami fashion quite blatant and in your face), thought the action set-pieces were improved over the original with a much more compelling figure with Doc-Ock played wonderfully by Molina. I remember seeing it months and months latter when it finally was on TV and being how shocked it stood up upon repeat viewings. It was a melodramatic mess, the last 20 minutes in particular was just awful, awful stuff.

If we’re considering films like Sin City part of the genre, Unbreakable for me is certainly the best comic book like film.

LazerShark said:
IT'S ON. 300 was all eye candy with no plot and nonsensical interpretations of the Battle of Thermopylae. V for Vendetta could have been good but by the time the plot made any sense (like 10 minutes before the end) you feel disappointed.
300 was based on a comic. If the content doesn't compute with the historical facts, you should blame the comic, not the movie. Because, the movie IS NOT BASED ON HISTORY, BUT ON A COMIC.

Also, the action scenes were amazing. One of the few movies that makes your adrenaline peak, it makes you feel more manly than the manliest man that ever lived. Now what other movie does that?

As for V for Vendetta, the plot made a lot of sense, you just didn't get it. Re-watch it, or read the plot outline on a website.

artist

Banned
master15 said:
If we’re considering films like Sin City part of the genre, Unbreakable for me is certainly the best comic book like film.
Heh, another Unrbeakable fan? IMO it is the best Shyamalan movie comparitively sixth sense was his worst.

300 was a letdown, too much hype and couldnt deliver on it.

Back on topic, TDK is 18 days away .. cant believe it!

Decado

Mr. Spinnington said:
Meanwhile, the violence is quite possibly the most intense I have ever seen in a PG-13 film, leaving myself and others wondering how The Dark Knight avoided an R. But what is more disturbing is the unrelenting menace that hovers over every scene like a dark cloud.
I wish Nolan was directing the Wolverine movie. If there was ever a movie forced into a PG-13 rating that needed to push the boundaries of that rating, Wolverine is it.

dmshaposv

Can people stop taking a dump on spidey 2, plz?

That is the cream of the crop of all comic book movies.

..and if TDK is better than that then FUCK YEAH! :D

karasu

I HATE this 'realism' thing that Gaffers throw alongside Batman Begins. Millionaire goes to the mountains to be trained by ninjas and comes back to save the world with his conveniently placed alliances? Come on. You have to be fucking insane to think it's realistic.

karasu said:
I HATE this 'realism' thing that Gaffers throw alongside Batman Begins. Millionaire goes to the mountains to be trained by ninjas and comes back to save the world with his conveniently placed alliances? Come on. You have to be fucking insane to think it's realistic.

Moreso than gamma radiation.

mollipen

karasu said:

And you are completely missing the argument that is being made on the "realism" of Batman Begins.

karasu

shidoshi said:
And you are completely missing the argument that is being made on the "realism" of Batman Begins.

No I'm not. I'm calling it bullshit. There's nothing realistic about him, his fight scenes, his feats, etc.

mollipen

karasu said:
No I'm not. I'm calling it bullshit. There's nothing realistic about him, his fight scenes, his feats, etc.

And thus, you prove even more that you're missing the argument being made.

Ashhong

karasu said:

i dont think its realistic either, but you are missing the point. its realistic in relation to something like the Hulk, where the hero turns into a giant monster. however, i think batman is as realistic as say, Iron Man.

karasu

shidoshi said:
And thus, you prove even more that you're missing the argument being made.

Point me to this argument I'm missing instead of cutely assuming the higher position. Show me how that script was realistic. Show me how it was relatively realistic. Where was this depth of drama that transcends the superhero genre that a couple of people have mentioned? Did we learn any more about the Bruce Wayne character than we did Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, or Kal-el? Hell no. I'm convinced that people call it realism simply because there was barely any CG stuntwork, and there were some James Bond-ish explanations of a couple of his gadgets. If I look at the action, the dialogue, and the plot, there is absolutely NOTHING that puts it above any other reasonably credible comic movie.

i dont think its realistic either, but you are missing the point. its realistic in relation to something like the Hulk, where the hero turns into a giant monster.

That's just plain fallacious.

karasu said:
Point me to this argument I'm missing instead of cutely assuming the higher position. Show me how that script was realistic. Show me how it was relatively realistic. Where was this depth of drama that transcends the superhero genre that a couple of people have mentioned? Did we learn any more about the Bruce Wayne character than we did Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, or Kal-el? Hell no. I'm convinced that people call it realism simply because there was barely any CG stuntwork, and there were some James Bond-ish explanations of a couple of his gadgets. If I look at the action, the dialogue, and the plot, there is absolutely NOTHING that puts it above any other reasonably credible comic movie.
So a normal person isn't more realistic than a CG superhero?

You'd think people could be happy that we have, what appears to be, a very good, if not great, superhero movie. Why back in my day we had a Batman who parents were killed by the Joker... and what? Nothing thats what! You youngsters are handed awesome superhero movie after superhero movie (in IMAX no less... why in my day IMAX was used to film FISHES and old people climbing tall mountains)

I'm alittle disappointed that the joker "spoiler" was put into the review. Sure its hardly a spoiler but it would have been cool to see that unfold. I probably would have had the same reaction as the reviewer (wtf why does he need a sob story... ohhhhh sweet)

karasu

Snidely Whiplash said:

That's not realism! You don't call a ninja movie realistic just because the ninja doesn't transform into a goddamn snowman. The ninja movie is every bit as fantastical as the snowman movie, just in different areas.

Solo

Snidely Whiplash said:

What is normal about a billionaire whose parents were murdered, who travels the world to live as a bum to "understand criminality", gets trained by ninjas, does hallucinagens, then dresses up as a bat and fights crime with a raspy voice?

karasu said:
That's not realism! You don't call a ninja movie realistic just because the ninja doesn't transform into a goddamn snowman. The ninja movie is every bit as fantastical as the snowman movie, just in different areas.
wut? A ninja isn't more realistic than a snowman? :/

bud

are you guys talking about the batman movies in general, or just the character? because someone else on the first page was talking about the movie(s).

not that i find any of it to be, uh, realistic. just wondering.

Solo said:
What is normal about a billionaire whose parents were murdered, who travels the world to live as a bum to "understand criminality", gets trained by ninjas, does hallucinagens, then dresses up as a bat and fights crime with a raspy voice?
Well fine he's not normal but he's not supernatural either.

BobLoblaw said:
Why no mention of movies like The Crow or Blade when mentioning great comic movies? Both were better than Spiderman 2 imo. Sin City was better also imo, though I can understand why some might not think so. S2 was ok, but all the cheap, cheesy dialog and FX completely took me out of the movie. Plus I hate Dunst. :D

Because Blade was shit. I do feel like The Crow is overlooked far too often but that is forgivable since the movie has faded into relative obscurity since release.

Blader

HamPster PamPster said:
I'm alittle disappointed that the joker "spoiler" was put into the review. Sure its hardly a spoiler but it would have been cool to see that unfold. I probably would have had the same reaction as the reviewer (wtf why does he need a sob story... ohhhhh sweet)

There's a spoiler in the IGN review?

FUCK!! Why is GAF trying to ruin this movie for me?

wow. this thread turned into superhero movie battle in no time
Blader5489 said:
There's a spoiler in the IGN review?

FUCK!! Why is GAF trying to ruin this movie for me?
it's just that he talks about where his scars came from, sheesh. he's not even serious about it ; /

Mr. Spinnington said:
wow. this thread turned into superhero movie battle in no time

it's just that he talks about where his scars came from, sheesh. he's not even serious about it ; /
This. It's just like how the Joker talks about himself in The Killing Joke, but admits to not even knowing if he remembers his past.

Blader

Mr. Spinnington said:

Sorry, but ever since a couple fuckwards let loose a major spoiler in the other thread, I've been pretty pissed off at any potential spoilers being posted.

master15

irfan said:
Heh, another Unrbeakable fan? IMO it is the best Shyamalan movie comparitively sixth sense was his worst.

Oh absolutely! Unbreakable is actually a favourite of mine, I just think it’s a really nice spin on the typical comic book origin story injected with a healthy dose of reality. I also think as far as camera work and technically speaking probably M Night’s best work. Add in an absolutely fantastic score by Howard Newton Jones and you have a contemporary classic in my books.

As for those arguing whether Begins is realistic or not I think you’re completely missing the point. It’s not to much the story or premise is realistic (Afterall we are dealing with a comic book creation here afterall, hello!). What Nolan did however was give and provide threads of logic and reasons behind everything from Batman’s suit, to the Tumbler or developments of the mansion. It just gives weight to the character and believability of the script and story often lacking in the fantastic realm of adaptations.

Edit:Fuck can you bastards spoiler tag anything related to story spoilers! Damn, the other other thread is a spoiler fest, now it's migrating here. Cunts.

effzee

you guys are losing sight of this fantastic review, along with the few others that have come out.

who cares about your ranking of superhero movies? why does every thread devolve into that ranking game?

OMG I LIKE A MOVIE YOU DONT!

When people talk about Batman Begins being realistic, I think they're talking about how Nolan went out of his way to make every character have motivation, every scene to have meaning, and every part of the Batman mythos to be grounded in reality.

He took fantastical elements, like a terrorist organization that destroys cities, a car that can jump across rooftops, or a doctor who torments his patients with hallucinogens, and gave them purpose, limitations, and rules. And he did it all while setting up a sequel that will (hopefully) require no retconning to make sense.

GodMike

Banned
dmshaposv said:
Can people stop taking a dump on spidey 2, plz?

That is the cream of the crop of all comic book movies.

..and if TDK is better than that then FUCK YEAH! :D

Iron Man shits all over SM2. SM2 is a pretty good one, best of the 3 I would say, but to say its the cream of the comic book movie crop after the release of Iron Man is now stretching it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
James Power said:
It's even better than Spider-Man?! Now give me a fucking break, as if these shitholes of movies would be any benchmark.

Man, what did comicbook movies do to you when you were young?

YYZ

Amir0x said:
Some reason, knowing IGN Movies likes the film puts me on defense. That website is gross.
I wouldn't associate their gaming side with the movies, I don't know the movie guy so I can't say. At least listen to podcasts or read his blog before making assumptions on his character.

Amir0x

Banned
YYZ said:
I wouldn't associate their gaming side with the movies, I don't know the movie guy so I can't say. At least listen to podcasts or read his blog before making assumptions on his character.

No I am associating their movie side with their movie side, I've read articles from the site before and it is fucking gross.

This movie could be so so good. I wish people would stop saying SM2 was trash. If you didnt like it, fine, but dont call it the best reviewed superhero movie so far a piece of shit.

BobLoblaw said:
This. Not sure why people still use the Spiderman movies as some sort of Litmus test for good comic book movies. Raise the fucking bar please.

Because folks forgot about Superman 2, and Spiderman is one of the first "new school" funnybook movies which didn't resort to decking the fucking character out in black leather to appease social norms. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
my name is ed said:
This movie could be so so good. I wish people would stop saying SM2 was trash. If you didnt like it, fine, but dont call it the best reviewed superhero movie so far a piece of shit.
Fine, most overrated superhero movie.

DMczaf

The Take Out Bandit said:
and Spiderman is one of the first "new school" funnybook movies which didn't resort to decking the fucking character out in black leather to appease social norms. :p

verigi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom