• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN First- 13 minutes of Everybody's gone to Rapture

Percy

Banned
So does it have a release date yet, or is this just a flying visit to remind everyone it isn't vaporware before it goes back to hanging out with The Witness in limbo?

WITHE1982

Nice.

Probably one of my most anticipated games this year. I'm loving the sense of isolation in the deserted streets. I'm really looking forward to solving the mystery of what happened in the build up to The Rapture. I'm just praying this doesn't turn into a sort of interactive cut-scene but instead gives you the freedom to explore as much as you want.

border

This is almost definitely not the first 13 minutes of the game. There are cuts and edits all over the place.

It's more like a flythrough of the town it takes place in, with a long developer commentary.

le.phat

I really like what they're going for. The team sounds like they have a strong vision and a lot of it resonates pretty strongly with me. That being said, what was on display was just really boring. The slow, methodical movement of the camera, the world that just seems static. I got the same feeling i get when i'm in a small antiqueties shop with my backpack on; I'm allowed to look, but every motion i make might potentially muck the place up.

eXistor

I hope this is the game where their previous experience comes together as a solid whole. Dear Esther was interesting from a story-perspective, but very limited otherwise. Machine For Pigs was imo a complete failure. This looks very interesting, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it, but if this one sucks that's it for me and the Chinese Room. I felt robbed with Machine for Pigs, so I might just wait for sales on this one.

WITHE1982

I had no idea the game was set in
. Makes it all the more intriguing. It does seem to capture the small rural English village feel quite well.

Looking forward to more stuff as the week progresses.

Very interested in this, the footage looks wonderful, but after watching the video I still feel like I don't have a good grasp on what exactly you do in this world. I know you explore what happened with everyone 'going to the rapture', but, moment to moment, do you just follow that gold orb around everywhere?

hydruxo

What they showed in the video was really boring. I was looking forward to this but this kind of hampered any excitement I once had.

Looks Unity-based given the pop-in - is this the case? 3D Unity stuff always seems somewhat unoptimised on PS4.

Shame if so because there's beautiful art and world here, I hope being Unity doesn't let it down.

EDIT: CryEngine3 it seems, hope they sort out the pop-in still. Although it's still early.

GobFather

Very interested in this, the footage looks wonderful, but after watching the video I still feel like I don't have a good grasp on what exactly you do in this world. I know you explore what happened with everyone 'going to the rapture', but, moment to moment, do you just follow that gold orb around everywhere?

Yeah, it's a little confusing. From my understanding

1) You listen to radio signals
2) The orb is like an echo of a person
3) They want you to explore the area
4) YOU use your own imagination of the characters you meet along the way by their voices and the orb like thing?

I think they want it to represent like the time when people listened to the radio to hear about the story and IMAGINE it, in their own mind how they characters look, and interact based on the story and sound you hear from the radio.

They want that concept in a Post -Apocalyptic, after rapture style in an English town setting as you freely roam (open world?) and understand what happened via story through the radio/sound.. (use your imagination!) OR ..

I am just clueless LOL

EDIT: i guess... it kind of make sense that they are using the radio style since there are no people but the writers still want you to interact with the world.

I think people need to expect this to be another Dear Ester, that way you keep gameplay expectations low. It looks very much like a walk and listen type game like Dear.

I really looking forward to it and hope it gets a official release date soon.

WITHE1982

Do they explain much about the gameplay or is this more like Gone Home or Dear Esther?

Not really. They talk a lot about space, dreaming, imagination and letting the world breathe. They also say they respect the player enough to play at their own pace and appreciate an open world.

It's just seems to be a bunch of buzz words without actually saying much of anything TBH. IGN has given them the whole week so I'm guessing they'll not want to blow it all on day one.

border

So it's Gone Home, but with a different setting and backstory?
Gone Home definitively answers almost every element of its story.

I suspect this will be a lot more like Dear Esther, where there is not clear answer or explanation and many competing theories about the events that transpired and their interpretation.

Rymuth

do they ever explain what the game is ?

I have it pegged as being similar to Gone Home but on a much larger scale. Could be so far off the mark its not even funny but we shall have to see.

border

Darnit. Doesn't sound like it's for me, then.

Gone Home made the mistake of teasing itself a little bit too much to be a suspense/horror/mystery game and ended up disappointing a fair number of people who showed up wanting a horror/mystery game.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is going to have the same problem, where a lot of people are expecting an epic post-apocalyptic metaphysical mystery and these people will get annoyed when the game ends up being something much more quiet and contemplative.

This game is not going to be Lost or Jericho or Left Behind or whatever.

delSai

"First Person emotional exploration" heh
Looks interesting, seems like an Open World i'd like to spend time in. I'm glad we finally got to see something of it. Shadow of the Beast next please?

Truant

Now I'm picturing the PS4's AF problems being the result of some fellow who looks like the Hamburglar.

OS8E9lD.png

The Blurry Bandit strikes again!

havok75

Being from the U.K and being a child of the 80s. This resonates with me I just hope it has an engaging and worthwhile story.

edit. liked the video but my goodness how many times did Dan Pinchbeck say "kind of like" ha ha it was about 50x.

Turkoop

Banned
I am fucking shocked, this game looks fantastic, the concept and the idea of the devs sounds really interesting.
This Game will be Day One for sure.
Really impresses !
Good Job IGN & Chinese Room

Top Bottom