• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How to Solve Xbox One’s Indie Problem

MS has some fantastic indie games coming out that i never expected them to get like

A Ghost tale
iba20EHZXY6oKU.gif

and Ashen <---this one especially thought it would be a ps4 type of deal.
CluelessSecondCero.gif

and they have that smash brothers indie game coming out to that looks fantastic
zetterburn_gameplay1.gif

I had never heard of that first one. Some googling seems to indicate it is called Ghost of a Tale.

http://www.ghostofatale.com/

I am still somewhat excited for Below although I haven't come across much news for it lately...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQ4tbSiJ_o

hawk2025

psn indies are a joke compared to pc anyhow

so its like peanuts -> mc donalds -> 1st class steak

yeah okay lets complain about the peanuts

Ah, yes.

The good 'ol "let's bring in another alternative into the discussion to make the actual point seem irrelevant".

Wereroku

That thing is going to be flooded with Indy's if their Windows 10 plans work out.

Not really you still have to be a licensed ID@Xbox dev to release on XBO as far as I have seen anyone have any background on how open multi platform development will be on Windows 10. It should help it if the porting costs end up being super low due to the compatibility between the two platforms.

TalonJH

I don't disagree but it seems like most devs now are just going along with whatever MS ask at this point and are releasing day & date.

I can't believe I have to type this...

Ugh...

Here I go...

I agree with Ryan McCaffrey.

I feel dead inside.
DEAD.

Yeah, he seems like a okay guy. Just says some crazy things sometimes.

How is that relevant to this topic? Lots of people only game on consoles since PC is a totally different type of experience. Your comparison is more like

peanuts -> mc donalds -> Backpacking through Europe

jelly

Microsoft need the promotions of old but I think cherry picking in their mind is enough to lead to positives. Quality over quantity. I would rather have both without a doubt. Microsoft probably think they can get away with the hard line and cherry picking. I don't think much would change in sales if they flicked the switch.

prwxv3

I don't disagree but it seems like most devs now are just going along with whatever MS ask at this point and are releasing day & date.

DEAD.

Yeah, he seems like a okay guy. Just says some crazy things sometimes.

No they are not. Go to list war.com

MilkyJoe

MS has some fantastic indie games coming out that i never expected them to get like

A Ghost tale
iba20EHZXY6oKU.gif

and Ashen <---this one especially thought it would be a ps4 type of deal.
CluelessSecondCero.gif

and they have that smash brothers indie game coming out to that looks fantastic
zetterburn_gameplay1.gif

Ghost of a tale is looking really good, I'm following the progress on this one.

So go eat your steak, think abut how clever you are, and let the adults talk about the subject at hand.

Anyway, it boggles my mind MS have been so good about adapting and turning things around in the face of bad strategy, but with ID@Xbox - nope, not gonna budge.

It isn't working, guys.

Trojan

Chris Charla has to be getting frustrated with this frequent bad publicity on the parity clause and the questionable overall health of ID@Xbox program. From all accounts, people seem to think highly of the team that comprises ID@Xbox...but the policies, marketing, and support that the program provides are shit.

If I were him, I'd make a drastic move soon to curb the perception or this is going to get worse. You can't love this battle in the indie developers' eyes because they've become such an important component of the console landscape.

Well, actually XBLA games weren't technically indies. To be on XBLA, you had to be backed by a well-established publisher, which often resulted in higher visibility/marketing for XBLA titles. ID@Xbox is proper self-publishing, and not all indies know how to manage marketing or fans awareness.

Said that, I agree MS should do more to inform people about the upcoming indies. Sometimes they just pop up from nowhere, and there they are, in the store, without anyone knowing what they're about. Lack of demos doesn't help too.

TalonJH

No they are not. Go to list war.com

Is there a list of Indie games that aren't coming to XB1? That site mostly list AAAs from what I've seen. I'm just interested in a breakdown. A 2/3 lead in upcoming games is a pretty big gap though. It doesn't seem like they have made any progress.

SerTapTap

Agree with you on preferring games be all treated the game. The XBLA moniker+less cheevo points and the "some games don't have platinum" arbitrarily devalued games solely due to a first party label put on them, in customer's eyes.

The perception was so enforced by MS that you'll STILL see people ask "why can't they at least emulate XBLA games on the One?"

Playstation 3's PSN still calls retail releases "full games", I understand the intent but it's just degrading. Call them "retail games", have an Indies section that only shows indies but still leave them in other views, boom, there you go. No need to degrade them, especially with so many lower-priced digital only releases from big publishers, self published but fairly high-budget affairs like Warframe. You just can't treat 'em like baby games anymore.

A lot of the online vocal Xbox fanbase has now turned indie games into console war fodder. Go to any video for an indie game on PlayStation's YouTube channel, and you'll see constant complaints about how the PS4 is the "indiestation" and what not. I've seen some people applaud the parity clause because it "keeps trash off of the xbox one" and other similarly stupid sentiments.

But, it makes me wonder. If this is the kind of attitude that the higher-ups at MS see towards indies, how much impetus do they have to turn it around? Like, say they do all the right things, and get indies back on their side. Will these hardcore Xbox fans buy them?

Yeah Sony's youtube comments are a nightmare. A real shame to see indies used for console war arguments in such a way. You're trashing years of people's work and their entire livelihood so you can act smug, ugh.

That thing is going to be flooded with Indy's if their Windows 10 plans work out.

That's a potentially interesting one, but day 1 parity is going to look even more awkward when talking games that release on PC. And having to sign with a self publishing thing is still a sort of unusual burden for PC, I think they're going to have to be extra lenient to make that work. They can't be as big a barrier as Steam is unless they're going to provide Steam-level sales which I seriously doubt.

I'm placing bets that once the whole 'Retail to Dev Kit' thing happens this Summer (?), that will really accelerate things.

Especially with Windows 10's Build once work everywhere aspect they are making a reality.

There is a solid indie library there, just recently I picked up ori and the blind forest, shovel knight, pneuma, and lifeless planet. That's on top of games like idarb, chariot, and volgarr that I've gotten through gwg. Can it be better? Yes but right now I wouldn't say they are lacking in good indie content, they just need to get better at marketing them and treating those games as first class games.

With win10 and the one store there's really no reason for Ms to not be completely open on Xbone. Specially now that they will also enable every unit as a devkit.

They did said on the bone it would still a bit more restrict than the win10 store but I hope that changes soon.

You know what that may be true but I find myself double dipping on games like shovel knight and rogue legacy cause of crossbuy/cross save. That's an experience I cannot get anywhere as a ps4 and vita owner

Also, the xb1's direct competition is the ps4 and not the PC so...

libregkd

Yeah that looks amazing. Never heard about it before. I went to the game's website but couldn't find mention of platform though.
Never heard of it myself and looking through press stuff, it seems it's only confirmed to be releasing on the PC for the time being. It seems like it is part of the ID@Xbox program, but it was on a list of games that were coming to Windows 10, not Xbox. I would imagine games like that will make it over to consoles eventually though (hopefully).

Mr. Sunny

Banned
The last thing Xbox needs to focus on is shitty kiddie indie games.

They need to focus on funding big boy games with good gameplay and Quantam Break with it's tv show bullshit wont cut it.

They need to focus on funding big boy games with good gameplay and Quantam Break with it's tv show bullshit wont cut it.

"Kiddie" and "big boy". Lol. I assume this is the ramblings of a dribbling idiot or marvellous trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Talax

Never heard of it myself and looking through press stuff, it seems it's only confirmed to be releasing on the PC for the time being. It seems like it is part of the ID@Xbox program, but it was on a list of games that were coming to Windows 10, not Xbox. I would imagine games like that will make it over to consoles eventually though (hopefully).

PC is fine by me. Better actually. The whole concept of the game is intriguing me. Thank you for confirming that. I'm gonna follow this one.

prwxv3

Sorry but the whole retail console is a dev kit is not good indie support by itself. That wont do jack shit if MS keep on treating devs like they have.

I tend to get more mileage off indie games than I do AAA titles, to be honest.

Synth

The indie gap will never be closed. Sony has the most popular platform and unless something happens to substantially shift the market, it will stay that way.

This depends heavily on how you qualify the gap tbh (and where you draw the line where a game "no longer counts"). If you look at it simply as a numbers game, then that "something substantial" is actually extremely likely due to Windows 10. Despite being a dead-as-fuck wasteland compared to other comparable ecosystems, the Windows Store has a game release rate that would make any future comparisons rather pointless in terms of indies, even if only a small percentage of them had Xbox support.

So I imagine there's going to be a large party and push about Indies being super duper totally welcomed ta E3 on MS stage.

Off the top of my theory head, they're gonna announce official launch of unlocking dev kit possibility status of all X1, a new platform space that anyone can upload a game to and the community can decide (through early play test and impressions) which ones hit the major dashboard. Perhaps every month they do a "Best of the Best!" event where the best indie titles selected by the community at large, and of course maybe Carla or someone, gets promotional discounts for that month.

In fact, I;m keeping this idea for myself.

TRADEMARKED

I'm not holding my breath though. I kind of expected MS to address this last year. Addressing it now would mean that they won't be seeing the payoff for about 2 full years give or take a year.

m_dorian

They can do both. They need to do both or so it seems

Dont agree on how you describe the indie games. There are people behind those games that work very hard while having to face more problems than established studios. They have earned my respect.

Top Bottom