• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN interviews SNK: Many new fighting games in development

BadWolf

Link to interview.

Translation via reddit member Vin_coil:

Introduction
During EVO 2017, the biggest fighting videogame tournament on the planet, IGNLatinoamerica talked with KOF XIV producer Yasuyuki Oda and game designer Hayato Watanabe about SNK's flagship title.

IGN: What is your evaluation of the game a year after its release?

Yasyuki Oda (YO): Well, it was the first KOF after almost 5 years, so the response from the fans is very positive. Although there were some problems to play online and other errors at launch, which were corrected immediately, the response was very positive and the fans are happy with the final product.

IGN: As developers, are you happy with the final product?

YO: We believe there is room for improvement, it's not perfect yet, but until now everything we've came up with to improve it we've done it, so we are satisfied with the current version.

IGN: Can we expect a new entry of the game or will there be more KOF XIV updates?

YO: For now we can't confirm or deny both possibilities, but we are convinced KOF XV(15) will be a reality. Right now we're not sure if there will be a new patch for KOF XIV, but it's definitely a possibility.

IGN: Are there any plans for Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting? Will there be more characters in KOF XIV? Or are you planning on releasing a new entry of these franchises?

YO: Of course we are always considering making a new entry of such series, the problem is the company's approval for we to make it, there are a lot of people to convince, which is very difficult, but of course it's something we'd like to do (laugh).

IGN: Within the competitive scene, what is your evaluation? Are you listening to players feedback? Or is there someone from SNK exclusively dedicated to this area?
Hayato Watanabe (HW): Of course we are always aware of the views of fans and professional players, but that doesn't mean we carry out all the requests we recieve. We want the game to be accessible, fun and not too difficult. We always listen to the opinions of the players, but we are very careful when implementing them. There's no one at SNK who specializes in that (getting players feedback), but I personally make the balance changes, I listen to people's opinions and apply those changes.

IGN: KOF XIII(13) is one of the most succesful entries of the series, is there a possibility of an enhanced version?
YO: At the moment there's nothing planned for it.

IGN: About SNK support for eSports, how do you plan to do it?
YO: We have been offering tournament support for a while, not only in Japan but worldwide. In the case of big tournaments we have offered cash prizes and we want to keep doing that, not only for KOF, but for other games that we publish in the future.

IGN: Will there be more characters in its EX version for KOF XIV?
YO or HW: We are still not sure if we'll have more DLC or patches, but when we released new characters back in April, the fans' reception was very good, so if we were to make extra content, rather than new costumes, we'd like them to be new characters, because that's what fans like the most.

IGN: What are your favorite characters?

YO: Lately I've been a fan of Antonov, because I think he's very kawaii(cute).
HW: Luong, she's been my favorite since the beginning and my preference has not changed.

IGN: Will we have another world tournament like the one in Japan(back in february)? Can we expect something similar to the Capcom Cup?

YO: Obviously we'd like to have another world tournament, but there are many regional events and we must be very careful with the schedule so they don't overlap, but if we do something similar we'd like to do it with our own style without imitating any other company.

IGN: Do you really sit down to play the game and put yourselves in the shoes of a gamer?
HW: We try to put ourselves in the shoes of gamers, not the really good ones, but the casual or standard gamer, and we try to make the game as interesting and fun as possible for that type of audience.

IGN: Anything else you wand to add?

YO: We are developing many new fighting games that we can't reveal yet, but we'd like you to stay tuned.

HW: As long as we keep getting feedback from users we intend to continue updating and improving the game, so we'd like to keep listening to your opinions through Facebook, Twitter and Steam.

YO: Another thing I'd like to add is that sometimes fans call me directly to my phone, I don't know from which country they're calling from nor the language they're speaking, but don't do that please, because most of the time I don't understand you, the best way to do this is through Facebook. I don't know what they're telling me, but they yell at me and I realize they're very passionate (laugh).

TGS announcement incoming?

Also, that bit about fans calling him is... yeah.

chocolate disco

Neo Member
MANY NEW fighting games? Erm.

I can believe they have one active project. And maybe another in the planning. That would be two.
But MANY and NEW? Not just ports for switchps4pcwhatever?

RedBoot

I'm guessing he might be including ports (like Garou and the upcoming SamSho 5) in that "many" statement. But yeah, I'm guessing either a new SamSho, Garou, or both is probably also underway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wonder if the developing fighters could include ports, as well as new products, or is more one or the other?

I picked up the Fu'Un collection recently on PSN, and I was nicely surprised to see my brother and I could Co-Op through the Arcade story together as a tag team in the 2nd game. Such a simple thing, but a great way to have fun facing off against the continually growing difficulty, and to get to know the characters in live combat.
And I still wanna see Rosa appear in more games.

Among those many fighters in development, I really would love to see a few smaller projects that aren't necessarily trying to compete for AAA budget EVO main stage, y'know? I'd love to see them make something akin to Rivals of Aether, Nidhogg, or Lethal League, too. And I definitely have room in my gaming life for something that'd update Powerstone 1 and / or 2.

Many new fighting games?

giphy.gif

I am HYPED!

I wonder if the developing fighters could include ports, as well as new products, or is more one or the other?

I picked up the Fu'Un collection recently on PSN, and I was nicely surprised to see my brother and I could Co-Op through the Arcade story together as a tag team in the 2nd game. Such a simple thing, but a great way to have fun facing off against the continually growing difficulty, and to get to know the characters in live combat.
And I still wanna see Rosa appear in more games.

giphy.gif

But yeah, I wouldn't mind smaller games too. I'd be really happy with rereleases. Get those PS2/SNKP era games out on Steam! Maybe they can at least work with Capcom to get things like CvS2 and SvC Chaos rereleased.

Cepheus

I'm fine with something like Garou or Fatal Fury. I kind of don't like Samurai Shodown that much. It feels like the older Guilty Gears but a lot clunkier.

I can barely do awesome shit in KOFXIV, but i still buy all the SNK games for some reason.

Really love Garou, Butt and Gato are real cool.
Will buy more SNK games

orioto

Good Art™
But before saying that he also says they want to do many things but they need to convince a lot of people for that first..

Finaika

KOFXV
KOF: Maximum Impact 3
Garou 2
Fatal Fury 4
Real Bout Fatal Fury 3
Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition 2
Art of Fighting 4
Samurai Showdown VII
Samurai Showdown: Sen 2
Last Blade 3
SNK Gals Fighters 2
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2
Rage of the Dragons 2
SVC: Chaos 2
King of the Monsters 3
Kizuna Encounter 2

pls

cireza

I have recently been thinking of a Fatal Fury game with the Guilty Gear Xrd/Dragon Ball Fighterz engine from Ark System Works.

Yes I know, it will never happen.

I'm assuming that some of those "many" are ports like Garou and Last Blade 2. I don't see them making more than one or two major projects.

I'm assuming they're working on Samurai Shodown and preparing for KoFXV. There's no need to make a new one right away, so it can take a few years.

I'm afraid Samurai Shodown will focus more on violence this time around, judging by Sen (blech!) and the SS5 release. I'd like it more stylized, please. Real swordfighting is goddamn messy.

By the way, how wild would it be if a Samurai Shodown with a Soul Calibur guest released before an actual new Soul Calibur?

Top Bottom