• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN interviews SNK: Many new fighting games in development

Interview says they want to make new games. Doesnt say they're in development.

Anyways make a new Garou with more FF characters and and bring in AOF characters as well.

It says both actually.

IGN: Any plans for Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting? Maybe more characters added to KOF or planning a new entry for these series?

YO: Of course we're always considering doing new entries for series like those, but since it requires the company's approval. There's a lot of people that needs to be convinced first which is no easy task, but of course that is something we'd like to do (laughs)

IGN: Anything else you might want to add?

YO: We're developing many more fighting games that we can't reveal yet but we'd like for you to keep an eye on us.

Considering those answers, I'd think a new Samurai Shodown would be their next big project.

JayEH

I actually like that SNK doesn't do this. They made their name as an arcade game company and people didn't go to arcades 2 days after a new game came out saying "Mui's rekkas are +2 on block" or whatever. I think XIV has a ton of QOL already, I mean you have a functional online training mode.

You're glad you have to go to external sources for frame data instead of the game providing it?

I specifically remember a rumor shortly before KoF launched that a new SamSho was in development. But this says games, as in multiple. Hopefully a new Garou/Fatsl Fury/Whatever.

Edit: Here it is. A little late for a 2017 release, though.

Capcom cant be trusted with anything. They've ruined Tekken, SNK, Marvel, SF, etc.
Lol what?

RS4-

I'd be more excited about an SVC 2 over anything Capcom announces unless it's the collection that isn't a half assed port job.

But yeah Garou would be good.

BadWolf

I specifically remember a rumor shortly before KoF launched that a new SamSho was in development. But this says games, as in multiple. Hopefully a new Garou/Fatsl Fury/Whatever.

Edit: Here it is. A little late for a 2017 release, though.

The rumor was fake.

Oda said that there was no work being done on a SamSho at the time and also that he knows that certain overseas fans thought it was already in the making but it wasn't true.

He said they had barely enough staff to finish KOFXIV on time.

qcf x2

You're glad you have to go to external sources for frame data instead of the game providing it?

I'm glad that they encourage organic discovery and understanding of a new game, wherein players learn the systems and advantages through effort and exploration, as opposed to knowing exactly what beats what on day 1 thanks to a list provided by SNK. But I said that already.

Forward

I have a dream.

That dream is Atlus-SNK.

It is THE dream match for fighting games, as a genre. It is the Anti-Squeenix.

qcf x2

I have a dream.

That dream is Atlus-SNK.

Won't happen, SNK has enough funding these days that they wouldn't need to explore something like that. What would be the advantages otherwise? I think both companies are fine on their own.

Loona

please god no...

MI2 was fangasmic, and Regulation a is generally respected on a technical level - I wish they'd have put together a version that used the strengths from both games...

New waku waku 7 lets gooooooooooo

That's from Sunsoft.

Now we need SNK's Smash Bros !

...no, not King of Fighters
..no, not Neo Geo Battle Colliseum either, but we are friends now

...not Gal Fighters either, close but no, but you are very awesome

I mean a snk game to fit the party fighter category.

Some casual 4 player fun and serious 2 player final destination tournaments

It would be pretty nice to see a fighting game by them that can be played cooperatively instead of just competitively.

Also, they could probably use Yoshino from MSA in that.

Buriki Two!

Aw yeah...

Capcom vs SNK 3 I hope

I'd rather have them work with Sega as crossover partners - Capcom's been poisoning everything they've touched for a while now...

SvC Chaos was SNK

And everyone knows the best SNK vs Capcom title is Match of the Millennium.

This guy gets it. A version of that with updated graphics and cast would have been more than enough to satisfy me.
Then again, that was handled by Dimps, which was founded by Takashi Nishiyama, who created both Street Fighter and Fatal Fury, that's probably why both sides were done justice in that game.

that's the handheld one right

Aye.

I have a dream.

That dream is Atlus-SNK.

Think bigger - Atlus is a part of Sega now, right?

Wait what? What happened?

What gets mentioned often was that SNK got short-changed on the income from the CvS games, and SvC Chaos ended up rushed due to a deadline on their deal to make the crossover games, despite the fact that SNK was just crawling out of its bankrupcy at the time.

tamtam_nomax_final.jpg

Come on Namco if SNK can't do it surely you can. Samurai Showdown Destiny maybe?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Bring back the three-lane gameplay from Real Bout. Forget Garou. I'd love a Real Bout 3 done in the KoF 14 engine.

Hope y'all are showing up day one for SNK Heroines!

tumblr_p2ee0oEjm11qzp9weo1_640.gif

Hudo

Bring back the three-lane gameplay from Real Bout. Forget Garou. I'd love a Real Bout 3 done in the KoF 14 engine.

Hope y'all are showing up day one for SNK Heroines!

tumblr_p2ee0oEjm11qzp9weo1_640.gif
Y'all better buy this! I want my SNK Heroines Xtreme Beach Windjammers spin off!

But why?

Fighting games are not popular at all.

They are what SNK is great at so good for them but why work on a bunch of them when the market for them is on the small side?

dirthead

Banned
Now that Neo_G is at SNK, a Garou 2 by the director of 3rd Strike is a very real possibility.

The problem is that the only reason anyone really cares about any of the SF3 games is the art, and without that 2D art, the emperor has no clothes. The director of those games isn't what made them special.

But why?

Fighting games are not popular at all.

They are what SNK is great at so good for them but why work on a bunch of them when the market for them is on the small side?

Fighting games actually have a much stronger history and story behind them than most shooters. Your shooters are more accessible, so we get them every year and now remakes, rinse and repeat every two years.

These past five years we seen a return of Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur. I wouldn't call the genre exactly small. I think there is room for many more fighters. It's not crowded. There are only about 12 visible fighters on the market.

Top Tier
Street Fighter 4 sold close to 8 million lifetime.
Tekken 6 sold 4 million
Tekken 7 is approaching 4 million
MKX has sold 6 million

Middle Tier
Dragon Ballz
Dead of Alive
Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter

Third Tier
Killer Instinct
Injustice
King of Fighters