• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: More R-Type Command for PSP (R-Type Tactics II)

camineet

Banned
Yes I think it's safe to say that R-Type Tactics II is confirmed to exist, after first being mentioned in the most recent Famitsu.

R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate

GAME OF THE FOREVER II

http://psp.ign.com/articles/100/1008672p1.html

More R-Type Command for PSP
Sequel promises more strategy and downloadable missions.
by John Tanaka

July 29, 2009 - Did you enjoy the strategic gameplay of R-Type Command? Then get ready for more! Famitsu reports that R-Type is coming back to the PSP, and once again its in the form of a strategy game rather than a shooter.

Titled R-Type Tactics II (in Japan, the original was known as R-Type Tactics), the new game will arrive in Japan through Irem on October 29. Players can look forward to a branching story line based off the selections you make during the game. Irem is also upping the content and strategy, with double the units and additional commands.

Multiple players will be able to take part in the fun again. The game promises ad-hoc battles along with cooperative missions. Additionally, the game will support game sharing for competitive play, just in case you don't have enough copies to go around.

Irem is also planning something new for the game: downloadable missions. It's unclear at present if these will be paid or free.

Tactics II will be released simultaneously as a retail and download game. The retail version will run 5,040 yen with the download version going for 3,800 yen. Those who buy the retail version will be given a bonus soundtrack.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175351

R-Type Command Sequel Announced
R-Type Tactics II powers-up the original.

By Kevin Gifford, 07/29/2009

Irem Software Engineering announced in Japan this week that a sequel to portable strategy game R-Type Command is in the works. The wondrously-titled R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate is due out for the PSP in Japan on October 29 for 5040 yen; no US release details have been announced.

Previous R-Type titles have chronicled the battle between the human race and the mysterious Bydo aliens. This one takes a detour by depicting a war between two human factions -- the people of Earth, who have continued to develop the Bydo weapons they've seized from the enemy, and the Granzela Revolutionary Army, who resist Bydo-tech and instead have worked on their own weapon tree.

The gameplay of R-Type Tactics 2 will be largely the same as before -- the battlefield is a chunk of side-view space, and you move units around and issue orders in order to defeat the enemy fleet. There are over 200 units in this game, double what was available in Command, and you'll have a few extra abilities up your sleeve, like the power to seize enemy ships and send jamming signals to confuse enemy squadrons.

More as it comes.

R-Type Tactics Sequel Has A Bittersweet Subtitle
By Michael McWhertor, 1:40 PM on Wed Jul 29 2009,

Atlus brought Irem's R-Type Tactics to North American PSPs last year as R-Type Command, a turn-based strategic deviation from the side-scrolling shoot 'em up the series is known for. A sequel is planned, with an amazing subtitle.

R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate will be coming to Japan on October 29, according to a report from 1UP. In addition to telling the tale of semi-sweet chocolate in space, the next R-Type Tactics will pit human against human, one side of which has adopted Bydo alien technology, the other which logically resists such an abomination.

Expect twice as many units in R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate, the same hex-based space military strategy and a level of dry gameplay similar to the first. Will Atlus be sweet enough to bring the sequel stateside? Sounds perfect for a downloadable PSN title.

http://kotaku.com/5325691/r+type-tactics-sequel-has-a-bittersweet-subtitle

Irem Preps R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate for October 29
Posted by x3sphere at July 29, 2009, 4:08 pm

Irem’s tactical strategy title R-Type Commando was a radical departure for a series so strongly tied to the fast-paced genre of on-rails arcade shooting. The transition received a mixed reaction from fans, at least here in the US, but was evidently a success abroad, as the developer announced plans for a sequel today.

Hitting the PSP on October 29 in Japan is R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate. Sticking to the solid turn-based gameplay formula of its predecessor, Tactics II is being expanded on all fronts. Players can expect over 200 units — double that of the previous entry, as well as additional abilities that can greatly influence an outcome on the battlefield. Irem is staying coy on details, but one such ability will allow players to jam the frequences of nearby enemy spacecraft, confounding a state of confusion.

No word on a stateside release as of yet.

http://exophase.com/psp/irem-preps-...ion-bitter-chocolate-for-october-29-12167.htm

Chocolate in space? R-Type Command sequel announced

Last year, our favorite localizing game publisher, Atlus, brought over R-Type Tactics to North American as R-Type Command. Designed more for fans of Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics than, say, fans of R-Type, it was a solid tactical space adventure for the Sony PSP. A bit niche, but certainly worth a look.

Earlier today, IGN announced that a sequel is slated for an October 29th release in Japan. Titled R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate, the game is...wait, what?

Has Bydo alien technology resulted in illegal space trading of semi-sweet chocolate? Based on name alone, I promise to keep you updated as the mysteries surrounding the storyline (branching based on your actions) hopefully continue to develop.

What we do know is that developer Irem is promising co-op gameplay and game sharing (thank you!), double the units, and downloadable missions.

Memorable quotes from Drinky Crow
on R-Type Tactics being revealed back in May 2007:

"there will NEVER be anything better than this. EVER."

"this is the face of god as you open the door to your mid-rent apartment and He is standing there with a dimebag and a UMD case and He says "dude, i brought a game over". no, no, it's the face of YOU after god shows you the box and you fill your jean shorts with manna."
"gaming is OVER. the psp has not only won all of gaming since nolan bushnell first tripped out to happy days, it will win all future gaming as well. the ds is dead. nintendo is dead. blizzard is dead. IREM and the PSP ARE THE FOREVER."

Oh yeah, Drinky? How 'bout some Operation Bitter Chocolate :D

camineet

Banned
Dear Hudson Soft: Take a hint from Irem who is making a new R-Type Tactics, and develop Nectaris: Military Madness 3 for DS.

Sorry, it had to be said.

camineet

Banned
Mar_ said:
R-Type Final indeed.

Since after R-Type Final, there have been the following new R-Type games:

*Tactics / Command (PSP)
*Dimensions (XBLA)
and now, coming soon
*Tactics II (PSP)

What next?

'R-Type Final 2' or 'R-Type Not So Final' ? :lol

Anso

I should go change my pants now :3

EDIT: I mean come on, bonus soundtrack? That's two pair of pants I need to wash!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
camineet said:

*Tactics / Command (PSP)
*Dimensions (XBLA)
and now, coming soon
*Tactics II (PSP)

What next?

To be fair, those are spinoffs and remakes. A new R-Type shooter hasn't been made yet

GhaleonQ

DrFunk said:
To be fair, those are spinoffs and remakes. A new R-Type shooter hasn't been made yet

True, true.

...And then when R-Type: Origins gets released, they'll ret-con "Final" to mean "final in the CANON, duh!" I'm not complaining.

camineet

Banned
sinnergy said:
I rather have a regular new R-type.

R-Type Dimensions was released for XBLA not too long ago, it's not exactly a NEW R-Type, but it is a regular R-Type shmup. It's a beautifully-made, new rendition of the first two arcade games.

wondermega

Ah well. The "Final Fantasy" joke is so old that no one even remembers it anymore.

I'd love to see a new actual shmup as well (I am one of the 15 people who actually got a kick out of Final) but I guess anything to keep the franchise alive, so long as it's not some pathetic bastardization, can't be all bad. Never played Tactics (I don't have PSP) but maybe someday I will get to check it out - it looks like something they could port to mobile devices, hint hint..

Hell, make an R-Tye racer too, why not (remember Seicross?)

Anso

wondermega said:
Ah well. The "Final Fantasy" joke is so old that no one even remembers it anymore.

I'd love to see a new actual shmup as well (I am one of the 15 people who actually got a kick out of Final) but I guess anything to keep the franchise alive, so long as it's not some pathetic bastardization, can't be all bad. Never played Tactics (I don't have PSP) but maybe someday I will get to check it out - it looks like something they could port to mobile devices, hint hint..

Hell, make an R-Tye racer too, why not (remember Seicross?)

Count me in among those 15. Ever wondered what my avatar is from? Probably not, but yeah, if you've played Final you should know.

camineet

Banned
Amir0x said:
Still never picked the first up. I think I will.

I also say that, you really should pick it up. While R-Type Command is not an "impressive" game like say, R-Type Dimensions or R-Type Final, and obviously its not a shmup, it is a well-designed turn-based strategy / tactics game that anyone who loves Daisenryaku, Nectaris/Military Madness and Panzer General will like. It's closer to those games than Advance Wars, because AW uses grid-based movement while all the others including R-Type Tactics/Command use hex-based movement.

I mean, it's not like anyone has to shell out $60 for a new HD game, you should be able to get it for well under $20. It's a slow game that should provide many hours of enjoyment. I'm not even through the earth's campaign yet, and there's the entire Bydo campaign to unlock and play through.

some impressions and a good review

Kuran said:
My impressions after playing this over the weekend..

You have detailed (yet a bit static) graphics, cool ship designs (You can play as the Bydo empire in Vs mode.. perhaps there's also a Bydo story mode thrown in as an extra later on?)
The soundtrack doesn't linger after the fact, but it fits the atmosphere well.. it is mostly minimalistic ambient music, which mixes it up with some less passive beats when the action heats up. I'm thinking of picking up the soundtrack because this makes for good background music.. (and damn it has a nice cover)

Oh yeah.. there are also real-time battle sequences after you initiate a move, but as with most games of this type, they're not worth the added loading time, so you better turn those off quick! They did add a neat "picture in picture" mode, but waiting 2 seconds for it to load is still a bit too much to ask.

The story is basic, conveyed through simple text logs.. but its well written for what it is.
Maybe I want it to remind me of Orson Scott Card's "Ender" series.

This game simply exists for its tactical gameplay, and there's a lot of that! Imagine Nectaris, or Battle Isle if you're from Europe, injected with the R-Type universe. It seems like an odd combination on paper, but once you get over the initial shock it comes across like a natural fit.

Fog of war was worryingly absent from the first training missions, but was introduced in later missions and introduces a huge element of strategy. Scout units are very, very important here!

There are bases to capture.. but the playing fields seem a little too small, and the battles too short (even when they take half an hour at the least) to really make capturing these points useful. They do give you some valuable materials.. valuable because you need them to create new units.. and the game rewards you very sparingly if you don't go out of your way to mine.

There are huge star freighters that can dock and reload smaller ships.. and as you can see in some of the screenshots, huge bosses to take down, with multiple hit points and cool designs.

There are a ton of units, each with its own unique skills and advantages. Though there sadly isn't any ship customization, you can play around with the various equippable force-power ups. Which can either be controlled as singular units in battle, or can be attached to certain ships. Every unit has ammo and fuel to take into account, so longer missions require you to take special care of your support-units.

You can find items and harvest materials during matches, finding special items will allow you to build new types of units. When capturing a base there is also a chance that there are friendly units docked, those pilots and their hardware will then permanently join your force after the mission is over.

I noticed that the pilots gain rank, or 'experience', but I'm not sure how that affects their abilities. It would have been neat if pilots would be gone forever after they die,just like Myth did it, so that preserving your units would become a bigger objective compared to just finishing the main goal. That is one thing I would change about the game..

Huge thanks to Atlus for localizing this game, it didn't seem like a likely candidate.. its sad to see this game fly under the radar here.. it deserves some attention.

Lord Thag said:
I just picked this up yesterday, and given the ridiculously low scores it's getting from the online gaming 'press' (*chuckle snort*), I figured that I'd write a review from the standpoint of someone who actually plays games and has an ounce of taste.

Game Description:

R-Type Command (RTC from now on) is a turn based strategy game played on a hex grid. It takes most of the units and ships from the R-Type series and turns them into units you command on the hex grid. Like the shooter series, you command the forces of earth against the 'Bydo Empire', a bio-organic version of the Borg, in essence. Unlike the series, you control far more than a single fighter. You control squadrons of them, with support ships, transports, carriers, and giant dreadnoughts. Like the shooter, most of your fighters can be equipped with 'forces', a sort of hybrid earth/bydo technology that powers up the weapons on your ships. Gameplay takes place on large hex maps, and you are usually tasked with destroying the enemie's flag ship, or recovering data. The terrain is often colorful and varied, often mimicing actual R-Type stages, so you'll play through a strategy map that looks like a side-view shooter stage.

Unlike other turn based games of this sort, there are VASTLY more strategic options at your disposal, and all of them have multiple modes of attack. Each fighter comes equipped with different short/medium/long range weapons, and like the shooter, many of them have charge shots that take a few turns to power up. This is often a major consideration, as one of these charged shots can wipe out several enemy squadrons at once, but one hit on your fighter knocks the gauge back to zero. Couple this with all of the other lasers, missiles, nukes and about eighty different units, and you have a TON of options at your disposal. When you add forces into the mix, the number of options becomes staggering.

Another area where RTC differs from your usual fare is between missions. You have to collect resources (3 kinds) during missions, and you spend them on building and researching new ships and weapons. Your forces are 100% personally customisable, and your fleet remains between rounds, to the point where you assign individual captains, pilots, and AI computers to your different ships, all of whom level up over time. You can chose to alter, re-equip, re-build or research your armada between rounds, and deploy it as you see fit. New mission unlock new technologies as well, so you will never run out of interesting ships to build.

And ad-hoc multiplayer mode is also available, for those who want to duke it out with a friend. Two disks are required, and there is a mode that allows you to wager resources that can be used in the campaign.

Review:

After spending last evening playing this game, I have come to the conclusion that online reviews of strategy titles are pure donkey poo. All of the ones I read whine about the game being 'too slow'. Yeah, it's slow. It's TURN BASED and a STRATEGY title. Idiots.

But I digress. The short version is that, if you like games like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, or Military Madness, you will love RTC. The level of strategic depth in this game is mind boggling. For example, your basic R-9 fighter (the first plane you get) Has a vulcan cannon, long range missiles, as well as a charge shot, the latter being a potentially game-winning attack. Vulcans are weak, but useful up close. The missiles can fire over range (think artillery in Military Madness or Advance wars), and the charge shot fires a straight beam about five hexes long, hitting ALL units (including yours) in the way. The charge shot can easily wipe out several whole squadrons, but the charge meter gets reset every time the unit is attacked, so proper maneuvering is a must. Pair this ship up with a force, and you get multiple kinds of lasers, as well as a defensive bonus from the front (or the back if you attach from behind). Your missiles can double as defensive weapons as well, and you can target incoming ordinance with them.

That's just ONE ship. All of the rest are totally different. For example, the first bomber you get has multiple missile attacks of differing ranges, including a one shot nuke which should be your central punch through the first few levels. In addition, it has a defensive forcefield shot that can wipe out enemy ordinance, but it lacks the charge beam. That's two ships out of eighty. As you can imagine, the level of depth is astoudingly deep. Add in the capital ships, repair droids, supply units, scout ships, radar ships and all the rest, and you have a very deep ocean to swim in.

That being said, it's not hard to play. While the 'tutorial' missions do a very poor job of explaining anything (and the manual is not the best), it doesn't take a degree in nuclear physics to figure everything out. After one false start, I was up and going without problems. The maps are varied, and I love the fact that many of them are presented just like a side-view shooter level, complete with end bosses that fill the screen. The two forces (Earth and Bydo) are very different too, the former being lesser in number but stronger, while the latter is more numerous and regenerates.

Each fighter on the map represents a squadron of five ships, and as they take damage, this number decreases, just like Military Madness or Advance Wars. Docking a damaged squad with your carrier will replentish the damage, making keeping the big ships close a must (though this can be veeeery dangerous, as they are often the target of enemy fire). Every other attack or so, you will be treated to a full screen (or windowed if you prefer) full-3d shot of the combat taking place, just like Military Madness or Advance wars, only with a lot ore eye candy. This is easily the game's coolest, yet worst feature. The graphics are gorgeous, and it's awesome to watch your squadron fling energy death into the middle of an enemy unit. The problem is the load times. It takes 5-8 seconds to load these scenes, which can definately get to be a drag after awhile. Fortunately, these can be turned off if you desire, or set to a random timer.

The graphics are beautiful for the fight scenes, and the hex map is very nice as well. All of the units are easily identifiable at a glance, and the levels are varied and full of interesting things like asteroids, mines, research facilities, and a gazillion other interesting tid-bits for you to shoot, capture, or fiddle with. Terrain often adds a lot to the strategic depth of the game.

The A.I. is pretty good too. I'd rank it as comparable to Military Madness, though I haven't played through the entire campaign yet. I've won every mission thus far, but then again, I've played Military Madness and Advance Wars multiple times, so strategy games are old hat to me. Unlike the online reviews, it's certainly not a cake walk. That said, it's not the hardest game I've ever played either. Use your own judgment. Each level gets more difficult, but the game doesn't ever seem to be unfair. If you lose, it's because you did something foolish, not because the A.I. cheats. The A.I. does show some remarkable clever maneuvering at times (sending weak units in to plink your charge shot fighters and reset their gauges, for example).

The sound is another weak point. The music is very generic, and completely forgetable. It's not actively bad, mind you, but it you rarely even notice it's there. It's not a game breaker, by any means, but you won't be whistling a tune after your done playing. The sound effects are nice though, and sound exactly like comperable weapons and enemies from R-Type Final on the PS2.

Another nice touch is the story. Between each level you are treated to the 'Ship's Logs' of your captain, who tells the story of his hopeless fight against the Bydo empire. It's not academy award winning stuff, but it's far more detailed than most games of this genre, and it's a damn site better than all those annoying anime characters in Advance Wars jawing about 'war'. You can save the game at any time, making it very portable.

In conclusion, this game is not to be missed if you like strategy titles, and don't mind the leisurely pace of a turn based title. Why reviewers whine about pacing in these kinds of games, then wax eloquent over the latest turn-based RPG is beyond me. This is a great game, and by FAR the deepest hand-held strategy experience I've seen outside Disgaea. It's gorgeous, deep, very fun, and provides a fair challenge. The A.I. is better than Advance wars or Field Commander, and if anything, it reminds me VERY strongly of Military Madness, only updated for the new milenium.

If you like strategy games, this is a must buy. Besides, who doesn't like a good handheld strategy game with armadas of customisable ships, that comes with a free plastic model of an R-Type fighter?

Pros:

Very deep strategy
Customizable fleets
Researchable units
Tons of options for you ships
Lots of eye candy
80+ ships and 60+ missions
Play as Bydo or Earth force
Free plastic R-Type fighter!

Cons:

Slow load times for battle scenes
Bland music
Poor tutorial
Manual is pretty, but light on content
Turn based - shmups fans may not approve

camineet said:

*Tactics / Command (PSP)
*Dimensions (XBLA)
and now, coming soon
*Tactics II (PSP)

What next?

one of Irem's April Fool's jokes was an announcement of R-Type Final 2, but that was some years ago for their also non-existant Irem-made gaming system. The one that would come built into a walking cane so old people could play it.

Man, I love Irem.

Anso

HyperZone<3 said:
one of Irem's April Fool's jokes was an announcement of R-Type Final 2, but that was some years ago for their also non-existant Irem-made gaming system. The one that would come built into a walking cane so old people could play it.

Man, I love Irem.

Irem deserves WAY more love in general. The sex scene in R-Type Final and the little wonder that is Bumpy Trot only proves that further.

wondermega

anyway, since this is turning into an Irem Love Thread (as it well should), I order everyone reading this to drop what they are doing and play a few rounds of Mr. Heli. Go on, get your asses kicked by this magnificent and strange game!

mrHeli_%2813%29.gif

mrHeli_%2814%29.gif

camineet

Banned
yurinka said:
Irem, just give me a PSP compilation, with R-Type,R-Type II, R-Type Delta and R-Type Final.

What about R-Type Leo ?

SuperSonic1305 said:
Like bitter tears but sweet instead of salty.

R-Type Tactics III: The Semi-Sweet War
R-Type Tactics IV: Operation Raspberry

:D

RainbowByte

Neo Member
camineet said:

*Tactics / Command (PSP)
*Dimensions (XBLA)
and now, coming soon
*Tactics II (PSP)

What next?

I think Square-Enix is still the king of abusing the word 'Final' in their game titles :lol

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Mar_ said:

The "main" last stage of the game, F-A, features
the silhouettes of a male and a female doing stuff behind the fluid that covers the background
as you play through the level.

camineet said:
I remember there was something weird in R-Type Final, but I only saw it once, so it's not really clear.

There's a dude and a girl clearly in the background at 1:00... they start getting down around 2:15, and pretty much keep it going for the rest of the level. I wonder if this was some sort of joke to see how much attention people could actually pay to the background while concentrating on staying alive. Hillarious either way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5zItGCI4E

Mar

shattyboombatty said:
There's a dude and a girl clearly in the background at 1:00... they start getting down around 2:15, and pretty much keep it going for the rest of the level. I wonder if this was some sort of joke to see how much attention people could actually pay to the background while concentrating on staying alive. Hillarious either way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5zItGCI4E

That's just odd.

And cool.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Since we're rapping about all things R-Type, can someone explain stage 6.1 -- R-type Final (beautiful erasure) to me ?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Okay, I really dig the visuals and especially the music in that video. I need to play through my copy of Final.

camineet

Banned
nolookjones said:
wish they would just make a new non-tactical r-type game for psp...

I'd like the guys behind R-Type Dimensions (Tozai Games and SouthEnd Interactive) to do a new R-Type shmup
for XBLA | PSN | Wii Ware.

drinky's original thread was one of the first threads I read here. I was laughing so hard. I never got to play the "GAME OF THE FOREVER", though. Maybe I'll try the sequel.

DigiMish

I just want Irem to make a next-gen R-Type with pretty graphics, tons of customizable ships, co-op and some small little innovative mechanic.

So yes - I want a next-gen, co-op R-Type Final.:D

JRPereira

Awesome. Can't freaking wait. The first one was amazing.

I'll probably be streaming this on Justin.tv, depending on when it comes out.

Top Bottom