• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - NBA 2K18 graphics comparison: Nintendo Switch vs. PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One S

Kaleinc

Banned
"If game on console half as powerful as Xbox One looked worse, it would look closer to a game on a less powerful console" got any more striking revelations for us Sherlock?
The striking revelation is the console half as powerful as x1 offers visuals which are more than 2 times worse and there is nothing impressive about it. Anything else, Watson?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that's damn good. Not my game, but it bodes extremely well for DOOM and Wolf, let alone future third party titles

Orayn

The striking revelation is the console half as powerful as x1 offers visuals which are more than 2 times worse and there is nothing impressive about it. Anything else, Watson?

Really admiring this crusade of yours to quantitatively measure graphics goodness and stop other people from being impressed by something.

Lmao. To the average Joe, there's basically zero discernible difference between these versions. Enthusiasts can tell, but my mum couldn't. Hell, even a PS4-playing friend of mine said the Switch version looks just as good.

2 times worse my ass.

Loris146

Lmao. To the average Joe, there's basically zero discernible difference between these versions. Enthusiasts can tell, but my mum couldn't. Hell, even a PS4-playing friend of mine said the Switch version looks just as good.

2 times worse my ass.
The difference in performance alone is huge but it's a good porting. Switch is a well crafted console.

pulsemyne

What are you the Scott Steiner of console power measuring?
maxresdefault.jpg

But most third party game doesn't run at 60 fps on the other consoles?
If the Switch version runs at 1080p, other games can have different compromises. In either case, it looks Switch's power and software tools are good enough so that ports from the PC and the other consoles are not technically unreasonable. There may be complications for games that really pushes the XB1/PS4's Jaguar cores, though.

Nah, he's just a normal person more interested in having fun than counting pixels.
Exactly. GAF seems to have this weird thing going on where they think their thoughts are that of the wider gaming population. They ain't. Most people don't know what DOF or LOD is, or draw distance, or framepacing etc.

The differences are clear for me to see in that video, but I recognise that I'm not representative of most people.

So if we look at this and DOOM. If your game can already hit 1080p and 60fps on a Xbox One then it seems totally possible to port your game to switch once you are ok with halfing the framerate, chopping the resolution and nipping and tucking some of the more taxing graphical features.

What other 1080p / 60fps Xbox One games are there? And how many of them would still be totally OK at 30 fps because Doom and NBA at 30fps is already borderline.

Excellent deduction there Sherlock EXCELLENT now for the finishing blow, why should we care? (Although with my previous point I was dramaticizing a bit as the switch is closer to 1/3 the power and you make the incorrect assumption that graphics scale linearly but let's ignore that for now.)

King_Moc

Banned
So if we look at this and DOOM. If your game can already hit 1080p and 60fps on a Xbox One then it seems totally possible to port your game to switch once you are ok with halfing the framerate, shopping the resolution and nipping and tucking some of the more taxing graphical features.

What other 1080p / 60fps Xbox One games are there? And how many of them would still be totally OK at 30 fps because Doom and NBA at 30fps is already borderline.

Doom is probably the ultimate example of a game that isn't OK at 30fps.

Peterthumpa

So if we look at this and DOOM. If your game can already hit 1080p and 60fps on a Xbox One then it seems totally possible to port your game to switch once you are ok with halfing the framerate, shopping the resolution and nipping and tucking some of the more taxing graphical features.

I don't think we can simplify it like that. Probably depends a lot on the engine used, CPU usage, etc.

So if we look at this and DOOM. If your game can already hit 1080p and 60fps on a Xbox One then it seems totally possible to port your game to switch once you are ok with halfing the framerate, chopping the resolution and nipping and tucking some of the more taxing graphical features.

We have no idea whether Doom is 30fps or not. I'm inclined to think it will be 60.

I don't think we can simplify it like that. Probably depends a lot on the engine used, CPU usage, etc.

I think it does norrow down the list of potential games though. Or at least gives us a idea of what can be brought over.

A full 1080p game on Xbox One that are also a locked 60fps as well is pretty damn rare. Doom / Wolf and sports games are all that comes to mind once we leave indie games out of it.

FIFA could be a example I guess too. But there I am totally fine with EA not porting Frostbite and doing a 1:1 port that is 30fps but instead using older tech to keep that 60fps lock.

We have no idea whether Doom is 30fps or not. I'm inclined to think it will be 60.

Ask yourself this. If it was 60fps dont you think ID / Bethesda would have shouted it from the roof tops?

I think it does norrow down the list of potential games though. Or at least gives us a idea of what can be brought over.

A full 1080p game on Xbox One that are also a locked 60fps as well is pretty damn rare. Doom / Wolf and sports games are all that comes to mind once we leave indie games out of it.

FIFA could be a example I guess too. But there I am totally fine with EA not porting Frostbite and doing a 1:1 port that is 30fps but instead using older tech to keep that 60fps lock.
Worth noting that according to digital foundry Doom on Xbox One spends more time around 824p than 1080p

LordKano

Ask yourself this. If it was 60fps dont you think ID / Bethesda would have shouted it from the roof tops?

This reasoning is dumb, the absence of evidence isn't an evidence. Press people played the game and are under embargo until next week, until then nothing is confirmed or more probable than the other possibility.

The Hermit

This thread went to shit fast.

Anyway, my 2 cents: there is a difference (duh) but it's no where near Wii vs PS3 and this is what truly matters.

imagem.jpg

This is why people are actually impressed.

Oregano

This thread went to shit fast.

Anyway, my 2 cents: there is a difference (duh) but it's no where near Wii vs PS3 and this is what truly matters.

imagem.jpg

This is why people are actually impressed.

That screen for MWR wasn't actually reflective of the finished product. Here's a comparison of Reflex and the original release.

Treyarch did fantastic work porting COD to the Wii and hopefully with next year's game they'll take a crack at Switch too.

dfi

I think 2k should have gone with a last gen engine for the switch version to allow for 60fps and all of the other special effects like, uniform movements, etc).

Here's a comparison between nba 2k17 ps4 and ps3.

ps3 version obviously has much much lower polygon count, but i think that would have been an acceptable compromise to get the game running at 60fps. The ps3 version still looks decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_5AW9ONEo&feature=youtu.be&t=365

Si2k78

I gotta admit, it's a little too many compromises. I feel they maybe should have went the custom engine route like FIFA.

Half the frame rate, looks like it's probably 720p, missing lighting effects, missing DOF, missing cloth physics altogether, etc. It's like they just kept disabling and disabling and lowering the quality of stuff until it would run well.

It's impressive that it's running on a handheld. It's just too compromised under the current engine.

Besides the 30fps. I just don't see how those other bells and whistles you've mentioned impacts the game in any significant way. 2K made the right choices in terms of optimization.

Peltz

Eh... I mean, it's great they got the game running so well on Switch, but it's a bigger difference than I would have expected to be honest.

The Hermit

That screen for MWR wasn't actually reflective of the finished product. Here's a comparison of Reflex and the original release.

Treyarch did fantastic work porting COD to the Wii and hopefully with next year's game they'll take a crack at Switch too.

You are right, but what I am arguing ( and this video shows) it's the generational leap between them, that doesn't exist in the Switch vs PS4 comparison.

I am trying to find a decent comparison between PS3 vs Wii NBA2k13 pics, but no luck so far.

I'm willing to bet pretty heavily that DOOM will be 60fps, people need to stop jumping the gun.

If Skyrim Switch was the Special Edition wouldn't they have shouted that from the rooftops?

Oh wait, turns out it is.

Some users have pointed out that the id tech 6 engine is built specifically to maintain 60fps at the cost of everything else, including resolution. If that's the case you can be sure it will be 60fps.

Si2k78

I think 2k should have gone with a last gen engine for the switch version to allow for 60fps and all of the other special effects like, uniform movements, etc).

Here's a comparison between nba 2k17 on ps4 and ps3.

ps3 version obviously has much much lower polygon count, but i think that would have been an acceptable compromise to get the game running at 60fps. The ps3 version still looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_5AW9ONEo&feature=youtu.be&t=365

Then there would be the faction that would shit on 2K for trying to sell us a last gen game at current gen prices. Can't please everyone. What they've done here is more impressive imo.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Remember the good old ole days when people used to say " why would I play a watered down port on the go when I can play the game on the big tv with all the bells and whistles" about the vita? Times sure have changed. Vita was probably ahead of its time.
That's pretty much still my stance on the matter, which is why I'd never even consider getting a Switch version of a multiplats game. But I'm a weirdo that doesn't even play the 3DS or Vita outside of my house so portability isn't a selling point to me to begin with.

Oregano

You are right, but what I am arguing ( and this video shows) it's the generational leap between them, that doesn't exist in the Switch vs PS4 comparison.

I am trying to a decent comparison between PS3 vs Wii NBA2k13 pics, but no luck so far.

Oh yeah, I agree there. The Switch is modern and cutting edge even if low powered which wasn't the case with the Wii(or the Wii U to a lesser extent) and it's starting to show.

openrob

"Console-quality gaming on the go!"

People doubted Nintendo could pull this off. Even after launching, the skeptics' argument has shifted to; not just any games on the go but AAA 3rd-party games in particular... "surely Switch will never run those on the go." That argument won't make it out of September 2017 alive, with all these recent developments.

I suspect the next argument will be concerning very specific AAA games, but I think, at some point, it become hard for skeptics(not to be confused with haters!) not to respect the fact that Nintendo's vision for Switch is coming to fruition right before our eyes. It's such a great system to own!

Also, I think the idea that it is these big blockbuster games that are all a console needs has declined slightly. Big budget games can really push the medium forward, but that doesn't mean a console has to have them to be popular.

Si2k78

I'm willing to bet pretty heavily that DOOM will be 60fps, people need to stop jumping the gun.

If Skyrim Switch was the Special Edition wouldn't they have shouted that from the rooftops?

Oh wait, turns out it is.

Some users have pointed out that the id tech 6 engine is built specifically to maintain 60fps at the cost of everything else, including resolution. If that's the case you can be sure it will be 60fps.

What bugs me is that some members of the press have already played Doom on the switch. Pier Schneider from IGN hinted at it on the most recent episode of NVC. You'd expects someone to have at least hinted at what the frame rate is by now....

Zedark

Also, I think the idea that it is these big blockbuster games that are all a console needs has declined slightly. Big budget games can really push the medium forward, but that doesn't mean a console has to have them to be popular.

I agree. And I think that, alternatively, you could argue that if Switch can run everything except open world AAA games (as some sceptics suggest), then that's one (big) genre missing, but the power of Nintendo IP should probably be able to fill the hole in the lineup, even if that means less AAA open world than a PS4 or XB1 will get/gets/has gotten. Just being able to run all but the most demanding AAA games is a huge win for the Switch.

What bugs me is that some members of the press have already played Doom on the switch. Pier Schneider from IGN hinted at it on the most recent episode of NVC. You'd expects someone to have at least hinted at what the frame rate is by now....

They take their embargoes seriously.

It's not quite that simple. It also depends on the bottleneck of the game for the PS4/Xbox1. CPU bottlenecks games will likely be the most troublesome, but it will not be nearly as bad to port to the Switch compared to the Wii U from the other consoles. Since the system can likely push around 50% of the PS4 CPU power, moderately reducing game assets and workloads (texture quality, animation, reducing enemies display on the screen, geometry, etc) will help to get it working on the Switch before you have to start axing the resolution and the frame rate.

I believe the Switch has enough RAM so that it will not be much of an issue once other stuff are scaled down, and GPU power reductions are easier to deal with than the CPU.

Oregano

There's an embargo on impressions until the 20th. Framerate is one of the more important points.

Si2k78

There's an embargo on impressions until the 20th. Framerate is one of the more important points.

Not sure what harm it would cause to release those details now.... unless the game is still going under heavy revisions and the product may change on the 20th, which I doubt.

Pier also hinted that it is not much of a visual downgrade at all, "not a huge step down" he stated.

Top Bottom