• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Never really played their games, so I can't really care. Hopefully, the game that comes out of this will look interesting because I can't say that Resistance or Ratchet look all that great to me.

Suzzopher

Kittonwy said:
Why would Media Molecule even want to work on Ratchet.

I don't know/think they would, but I'd certainly love to see a fresh take on the franchise and MM are a very talented and creative studio who could freshen up the series.

Banned
Pucc said:
NO, thanks.

Thing is, IG have always been exclusive to Playstation whereas Bungie were Multiplat before being bought by MS so it wouldn't be as odd.

I just don't feel IG have lived up to their promise at all and haven't really provided us PS3 owners anything really groundbreaking. I understand there are passionate fans of their games, but their games simply aren't good enough to be considered tentpole titles and really demand an unfair-share of attention from Sony at the expense of other 1st party titles. (Killzone 2)

I'd prefer Sony nurture another studio to fill the exclusive void left vacant by the possible IG defection to multi-plat-dom. Preferably a studio that can produce innovative, polished titles. (Media Molecule and Quantic Dream come to mind)

matmanx1

Love the Ratchet and Clank Future series. Resistance, not so much (although I did play through R2 and enjoy some of the co-op multiplayer). Good for 360 only owners if they go multi as they know how to make a quality game.

Takao

Banned
Iknos said:
We automatically assume they are 360 bound but doesn't it make more sense that they would look at the DS and Wii first?

How about the PSP? Naughty Dog recently mentioned how they themselves would've done an Uncharted on the platform if they had the money, and time to.

EDIT-
zero margin said:
You're right, sony owns them.

I know that, the comment about ND's future was a joke. :D

All I care is that Insomniac is making a new IP. The Ratchet and Resistance games are awesome, but I always love it when creative studios make new stuff. If this is true, I just hope Activision isn't their publisher!

racerx said:
that's why they opened up a new studio in North Carolina.

Actually the reason why they opened up the new studio was because several employees were complaining about the cost of living in California, and Insomniac didn't want to lose them. So they moved them to North Carolina.

I'm glad to see theres not too much "they sucked anyway" type behaviour from the resident Sony nuts... it'd probably be quite disheartening for any of the devs lurking / posting here to read the people they've gifted amazing games to turning on them.

I'd like them to make both 360 and Wii games. They'd do good business on Nintendo platforms I feel... but they like to push their tech so *shrug*

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
People who already have PS3s shouldn't care because they'll still get to play Insomniac games.

People who don't have PS3s and like Insomniac games should really consider getting PS3s because all 5 of Insomniac's PS3 releases are awesome; but I guess if they're dead set on not getting PS3s, this would be good news.

PS3 owners shouldn't care that they'll spend even less time polishing and refining their games before flinging them out on the market?

If they can't make their games properly as an exclusive dev, what makes you think that they can as a multi-plat dev?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't get the IG love at all. It baffles me.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Let me get this straight, there's an ultra minimalistic chance Insomniac might some day ever work on a new Spyro because Activision has the rights?

OMFG

racerx

Banned
The Awkward Wizard said:
All I care is that Insomniac is making a new IP. The Ratchet and Resistance games are awesome, but I always love it when creative studios make new stuff. If this is true, I just hope Activision isn't their publisher!

Actually the reason why they opened up the new studio was because several employees were complaining about the cost of living in California, and Insomniac didn't want to lose them. So they moved them to North Carolina.

I highly doubt that. Why not just pay people more to compensate for the cost of living?

I think it's the new ip, going multiplatform and some tax breaks.

Razor210

00011000 said:
PS3 owners shouldn't care that they'll spend even less time polishing and refining their games before flinging them out on the market?

If they can't make their games properly as an exclusive dev, what makes you think that they can as a multi-plat dev?

Don't want to come off as a rabid defender, but they've only really had two stinkers in their history: Ratchet: Deadlocked and Resistance 2. If they've got the right idea beforehand, it pretty much ends up being an excellent game.

Zophar

Yes, stretch themselves even further from releasing a title every year by starting up multiplatform development. I see no faults in this logic.

Kittonwy

Banned
00011000 said:

I guess some people are always eyeing the "MW2 money", thinking going multiplatform is going to be more lucrative for them, but the problem is not every developer is capable of coming up with a HALO or a MW2, or a GTA for that matter, marketing plays a part but it's not everything, a lot of things have to come together to create a gaming phenomenon.

I'm not sure how much security they have working with Sony, but I can't imagine it's all that safe working for EA or Activision either, or any third-party publisher for that matter, Bottlerocket went from working with Sony to working with Namco-Bandai and see where they ended up.

Indifferent2.gif

Corto

Glad for them if true. Hope they reach a bigger audience if they choose to take that step. But if so, please continue to put your games on the PS3 too, that's all I ask.

Zilch

Banned
Zophar said:
Yes, stretch themselves even further from releasing a title every year by starting up multiplatform development. I see no faults in this logic.

Well the company is much larger now and split between two locations to handle that sort of workload, right? I don't see any logical faults either.

Banned
Suzzopher said:
I don't know/think they would, but I'd certainly love to see a fresh take on the franchise and MM are a very talented and creative studio who could freshen up the series.

If they are so creative and talented, they should come up with a Dynamic new IP. Not waste time eulogising and faffing about with a dying IP. Talk about a waste of talent.

hyduK

Banned
I heard Nintendo is making a HD Mario for 360 at GDC....

Seriously though, this would be nice...not a big fan of Resistance but R+C was cool.

Zophar

Zilch said:
Well the company is much larger now and split between two locations to handle that sort of workload, right? I don't see any logical faults either.
I really don't think 35 new people, or so wiki says, is "much larger".

Ashes1396 said:
When's the last time -an independent studio as close to Sony as insomniac is- decide to leave in favour of multiplatoform development?

Well, not the same scenario but the guys at Sony Liverpool who were let go and left (including the Wipeout creator) are likely going to be making multiplatform games in the future if they want to continue their careers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Awkward Wizard said:
I'm not really sure. I'm just repeating what Ted Price's father told my dad! :lol
That wouldn't work. You'd have to raise wages across the board (you can't raise just the wages of those who would otherwise move or else you'd have a mutiny) and California is massively more expensive than North Carolina. I would expect all of the studio to move to that state eventually. You can't raise wages discrminately like that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AniHawk said:
Ratchet & Clank for some, miniature American flags for others.

insomniac and microsoft are just exchanging long protein strands, and if you have a better way of doing it, i'd like to hear it

Shambles

00011000 said:
No, I'm not saying that. I just feel they are a 2nd-tier studio and have proven that to me after the lackluster Resistance 2, sequel after sequel of R&C and their accelerated release schedule.

While I agree with you on R2 (I feel it was the biggest dissapointment this generation), I still love the R&C games. I don't think R&C was ever really meant to fill the AAA slot. To me they are there just for simple fun games and they usually deliver that quite well. ToD had a bit more interesting upgrading and less dumbed down than CiT but I've played through both several times. I also have noticed that the more I read about a game before it comes out the less exciting it is. I've since avoiding spoiling good games after seeing too much of CiT before it came out.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ratchet's good, but not excellent (imo). Insomniac can make decent games, but they sure ain't no Naughty Dog (then again, who is?).

slider

Actually, screw being mature about it.

Stick to PS3 only Insomniac.

And Bungie/A. N. Other stick to 360.

Exclusive development brings a lot of benefits. Well, maybe not lots but a few key ones. And it justifies my purchase of a 360 and a PS3.

Mush

Sony should have snapped them up along time ago. I know IG want to stay private but this is a studio with a heap of talent and it would be a real blow to SCE. On the flip side, it means everyone else can enjoy their great games.

scotcheggz

If this is true, I'm excited about a new IP. Loved R+C and resistance was OK even though I'm not a big fps fan.

But then this is anonymous source + IGN so...

Banned
Razor210 said:
Don't want to come off as a rabid defender, but they've only really had two stinkers in their history: Ratchet: Deadlocked and Resistance 2. If they've got the right idea beforehand, it pretty much ends up being an excellent game.

I'm not necessarily saying either way whether any of IG's games are stinkers or not- just that they're almost all completely devoid of any inspiration. Solid, fun, short-lived and disposable is how I would describe their games. It's hard to believe with the talent they have and the access to abundance of advanced developer knowledge at Sony they can't do better. C'est la vie.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
slider said:
Actually, screw being mature about it.

Stick to PS3 only Insomniac.

And Bungie/A. N. Other stick to 360.

Exclusive development brings a lot of benefits. Well, maybe not lots but a few key ones. And it justifies my purchase of a 360 and a PS3.
I would guess that...

Insomniac don't want to be making Resistance and Ratchet & Clank games until the end of time.

Bungie don't want to be making Halo games until the end of time.

AniHawk

A Crack in Time was pretty fucking terrific. One of last year's best games, certainly, and the best in the franchise.

The way they have done R&C, it sounds like they have one more game left storywise before they either end it or ship it off to other people. Probably for the best. The series isn't doing the numbers it used to.

Top Bottom