• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

NBtoaster

Dev now says the level DOES unlock on casual, the ending is just different:

http://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert/status/129410392903524352

kassatsu

Banned
tycoonheart said:
So wait now cuthbert is saying the level unlocks on casual but doesn't do the cutscene?
Yes that is what happens. You just get dumped to the title screen. Cutscene happens when you beat it on normal.

Almost done beating it on hard. Will report after that!

tycoonheart said:
So wait now cuthbert is saying the level unlocks on casual but doesn't do the cutscene?

Seems that way:

"you didn't play it on normal (as is obvious from your review) - completing it on casual doesn't unlock the last epic stage"

Replicant

EvilMario said:
Stolen DeviantArt piece for a Pokemon Article.
Okami watermark.

List masquerading as editorials.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137707 (MGS Triology)

Should Sony Abandon the PSP?
What Zelda could learn from Skyrim
What Nintendo Can Learn from Catherine
Mario and DK haven't evolved since the SNES
Fake or Gay: Yoshi and Turok

The rest are tacky and questionable but the bolded ones are very unprofessional and quite bigoted.

These review threads are getting dumber and dumber. I'm Pixeljunk fan and I dislike IGN, but if the game did not capture his attention enough to play on normal it probably deserves 6.5 from him.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Real talk: this thread wouldn't exist if the score on the review was higher.

I suspect the reviewer finished the game on casual and wrote his review. Then, after getting called out, he quickly finished the game on normal, to see what he had missed, and then edited his review in hopes of saving face.

Reuenthal

Banned
So it seems the big crime of this reviewer is that he didn't mention the cutscene that you get on normal. Don't think he has done that big of a crime at lease deserving all this negative attention.

DigiMish

Just sounds like a big misunderstanding that's been blown up out of proportion. IGN gave the score, get over it people - it's said and done.

Paches

BruiserBear said:
I suspect the reviewer finished the game on casual and wrote his review. Then, after getting called out, he quickly finished the game on normal, to see what he had missed, and then edited his review in hopes of saving face.

This is the most likely scenario, I agree.

Shurs

Aselith said:
So as a shooter fan, he played through it once on Normal and thought, "Maybe it's better on Casual!" or conversely as a shooter fan (!) he played through it once on Casual and thought, "Maybe it will be better on Normal!"

I would assume, if he's telling the truth, that he played it on normal first and was dissatisfied. Then, as he was writing the review he went back and played it on casual so he wouldn't have to dedicate as much time to the game as he did on his initial playthrough.

Personally, I would have just gone back to specific stages on normal, if I wanted to double check things, but that doesn't mean that Hatfield has the same process.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Cuthbert.. wow.. really bro?

Why not just come out and say you're mad about the 6.5 instead of making shit up. There's ways to defend your game without being a douche.

Replicant

BruiserBear said:

DING DING DING. Most likely scenario.

jim-jam bongs said:
Still inconclusive imo, he does mention that there was an ending sequence of sorts in his response but that he didn't think it was significant. He actually says that's the reason he edited it in the first place.

He described the ending in a very specific way to complain about it, and is now only commenting on it as being insignificant after it was a clear point of error in his review. If he didn't think it was important, why did he describe it so carefully?

By now I'm sure the reviewer's actually beat the game on Normal and probably Hard, so quizzing him about the details is pointless. He knows what he's talking about now.

Shurs

NBtoaster said:
Dev now says the level DOES unlock on casual, the ending is just different:

http://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert/status/129410392903524352

So this confirms that Cuthbert doesn't know his own game.

Time for a thread title change.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Reuenthal said:
So it seems the big crime of this reviewer is that he didn't mention the cutscene that you get on normal. Don't think he has done that big of a crime.

I think because Daemon said it just dumps you back to the title screen that Dylan then used that as a basis of evidence that Daemon didn't complete the game on normal and get the proper ending, I think that maybe right, this is as others are saying, confusing now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Vire said:
dylancuthbert Dylan Cuthbert
@
@JDFatalist the level unlocks, but it doesn't give you the big finale ending - in casual it does just plonk you back on the title screen

In the original review Daemon says it just plonks you back to the title screen. MEANING that he was only talking about the casual ending. MEANING that he didn't actually play normal. Thus not playing the extra level.

Right?

TimeEffect said:
More tweets:

Regarding if the level unlocks on casual or not:

"the level unlocks, but it doesn't give you the big finale ending - in casual it does just plonk you back on the title screen"

So he's criticizing the fact that the reviewer said it swiftly brings u back to the title screen. I wonder just how grand this finale is. Perhaps the reviewer didn't care to mention it?

In the response he posted later, he said that it was (to him) an insignificant cutscene in Normal Mode when you beat it.

BruiserBear said:
So what? 6.5 for a game that did not grab your attention when you played it on casual deserves 6.5!! Plus if it is anything like PJ Shooter 2 it is probably impossible even on casual! (I loved that game :))

Question is: Is the ending finale a cutscene or a level?

Despite this, he says you can unlock the stage on casual, which is what IGN reviewer insists.

BTW, Oh hai, I'm new here :)

cabottemp

Banned
Kulock said:
No, seriously, let this die, I'm really tired of reading about Amir0x in this thread.

Agreed, I blocked the guy
which was probably my best GAF experience to date
, I wish I could just block every post that mentions/quotes him.

Reuenthal

Banned
Shurs said:
So this confirms that Cuthbert doesn't know his own game.

Time for a thread title change.
This, plus mostly Amir0x story about how Cuthbert treated him make me not like this Cuthbert guy much.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Earlier:

pFRcm.png

Just now:

pGyjC.png

Daemon's "concerning my review" post:

So today I reviewed PixelJunk SideScroller. I played on a PlayStation 3 test kit with review code provided by Sony. I gave it a 6.5. One of the developers was upset and accused me of not playing the game on the normal difficulty. This isn't true -- I beat SideScroller twice, once on casual and then on normal. The content was exactly the same in both play throughs. When I assured the developer I had played on normal, he said I would have unlocked an "epic last stage." I was confused, because I didn't seem to unlock anything except the hard difficulty.

To clarify, there are three stages in SideScroller. In both casual and normal mode, when you complete all three stages you unlock the "last stage." So I played through this last stage on both difficulties.

I thought this line in my review might be bothering him: "Finish the last stage and defeat the final boss and what is your reward? A swift kick back to the title screen with no more than "congratulations.""

That is technically a true statement, although after completing normal mode there is a brief scene telling you you've unlocked hard mode. That scene was not significant to me, but upon reflection I thought maybe I wasn't being fair.
So I removed the above sentence from my review, not to hide anything but in a hope to not mislead anyone into thinking there isn't a brief little something at the end of the game, however insignificant. To me, this wasn't an important change to the review -- it didn't change my score and all the important information about the game is still there. Tweaking articles is common practice on the internet. Should we notate every change to an article we make? Perhaps, but IGN doesn't have a standard in place for doing so.

Anyways, I should have just left the article the way it was because there was nothing factually wrong with it and changing seems to have bothered some people, including the developer. I put the sentence back in and am writing this blog post to try and clear things up.

I think PixelJunk SideScroller is an "okay" game, which is what a 6.5 means on the IGN scale. I beat it on both normal and casual modes and saw the same content in both play throughs. The only perk I can find for beating the game on normal is unlocking hard mode.

Daemon

Vire

Okay so he describes the ending in a very specific way failing to mention that there is no cutscene. He specifically complains about it ending abruptly and sending you back to the title screen. This wouldn't happen if you played it normal.

Dylan asserts that he only played it on Casual based on what he said (which would make sense based off his description.

Daemon then goes and REMOVES that line and further writes the response saying that the cutscene didn't seem worth mentioning as his excuse. He most likely played normal afterwords SINCE he had been caught and found out about the cutscene.

So yes, I do think IGN is still to blame for rushing through and only playing casual.

NervousXtian said:
Cuthbert.. wow.. really bro?

Why not just come out and say you're mad about the 6.5 instead of making shit up. There's ways to defend your game without being a douche.

I went from wanting to Tweet my support to now just facepalming.

legend166

Kulock said:
No, seriously, let this die, I'm really tired of reading about Amir0x in this thread.

Haha sorry. I didn't read through the whole thread. Read the first couple of pages, noticed no one had made the joke, and thought this was my opportunity ;_;

watershed

Banned
BruiserBear said:
This looks like a winner. Reading his original review he clearly says "'Finish the last stage and defeat the final boss and what is your reward? A swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'" This is only true when beating the game on casual. When you beat the game on normal you get a cutscene, no matter how epic or not it is, its definitely not a "swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'". So it definitely sounds like he was writing about his playthrough on casual difficulty.

Loudninja

kassatsu said:
Yes that is what happens. You just get dumped to the title screen. Cutscene happens when you beat it on normal.

Almost done beating it on hard. Will report after that!
So are people just ignoring this post or something?

Must be one kickass cutscene to cause all this fuss

I bet it's Alexander at the castle from FF9. Amazing that Q games got the rights from SE for it but it's worth it, such an amazing scene

kassatsu

Banned
I told you all. Easiest way to clear this up. What is his PSN ID, there were like 10 people listed on the "last stage" on normal. Shouldn't be that hard.

Okay, clarification question: It may unlock the stage, but do you actually play the level on Casual, or can you just play it in some sort of extra Trial Mode menu?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
artwalknoon said:
This looks like a winner. Reading his original review he clearly says "'Finish the last stage and defeat the final boss and what is your reward? A swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'" This is only true when beating the game on casual. When you beat the game on normal you get a cutscene, no matter how epic or not it is, its definitely not a "swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'". So it definitely sounds like he was writing about his playthrough on casual difficulty.

If this is the case then Daemon did lie.

Vire

artwalknoon said:

Yep, exactly what I said in my above post.

This is the true answer folks.

Daemon did lie.

Shurs

Loudninja said:
So are people just ignoring this post or something?

Because Cuthbert initially said that you have to beat the game on Normal to see the "last epic stage" not just a cutscene.

KyrqE.jpg

Neki

kassatsu said:
I told you all. Easiest way to clear this up. What is his PSN ID, there were like 10 people listed on the "last stage" on normal. Shouldn't be that hard.
couldn't he have gone back and played it though? dunno.

DonMigs85

kassatsu said:
Can you play online like other folks on a dev console?

Loudninja

kassatsu said:
Not really, he had plenty of time to play it now lol.

Top Bottom