• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

crankypants said:
I will say one thing about this:

Daemon is one of the biggest shmup fans I know.

Shame how this has all gone down, but at the very least the guy definitely has an affection for the genre.

That said, I'm also a fan of Dylan's work and studio, and I won't dare take a side...not until I play the game for myself, at least.
Craig's taking the honorable position here.

But really, you know we all want you to post your own review now that all of this crap is happening. :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Kulock said:
Okay, clarification question: It may unlock the stage, but do you actually play the level on Casual, or can you just play it in some sort of extra Trial Mode menu?

Kussatsu is the only guy in this thread who's played the game, i think? But he said he hasnt played Casual mode at all, so I dont think anyone here knows the answer to that. :p

Shurs

kassatsu said:
I told you all. Easiest way to clear this up. What is his PSN ID, there were like 10 people listed on the "last stage" on normal. Shouldn't be that hard.

If he played on a debug unit, as he said, it might not add trophies to his PSN ID.

So he played all the game content regardless then. There was a brief scene at the end on normal he didn't find compelling enough to mention. It was still a 6.5 to him. That is why he called him out, not a 30 second cutscene that wasn't mentioned. Why are people looking for theories as to why IGN has to be wrong here? Look at what Dylan called out, and what deamon defended himself saying. Its clear there might have been some grey actions on both sides, but the accuseatory thread title is wrong.

watershed

Banned
tycoonheart said:
All this over a fucking cutscene? Really? We talkin' 'bout cutscene!
Says the guy who skipped practice.

Its not a huge deal but it does seem like the reviewer wrote his review based on beating the game on casual mode. Personally I would prefer reviewers write their reviews based on normal difficulty at minimum. The experience between casual and normal difficulty can be staggering sometimes. Then there's the whole stealth editing thing.

web01

IGN was right on this one, this thread is an overreaction and Cuthbert comes across as a douche. He was not happy with the score so he looked for any mistake he could find to lash out. Pathetic.

Replicant

Loudninja said:
Not really, he had plenty of time to play it now lol.

Is there a time recorded when a specific user finished said level? If there is, we can just match the time with the time when the review was released....unless he edited the time too.

HiVision

Dylan here - I'd like to point out I never complained about the score (that's all opinion-based anyway and you can't change that), and obviously when I called out the reviewer for only playing casual he quickly re-edited the bits of the article and that really showed a bit of guilt I think. (and made it look like I was complaining about nothing, which was pretty annoying)

When you clear the game on Normal you get the full epic ending - I called it a "stage" in my twittery haste early this morning, but the point I was making is that it was obvious the guy had only played the game in casual mode due to the complaint that the game just puts you back to the title screen.

To begin with, when you complete the game in Casual, it *does* just put you back to the title screen. When you complete it in Normal it gives you the full ending (with voice acting!) :)
On top of that, when you go back to the title screen it tells you that you have unlocked the new Hard mode (which also gives you a really cool visual unlock).

So I stand by my case, the guy definitely only played through casual which is a "hold your hand" mode, and if that's fine for a review then that's fine with me too, but I think he should specify that in the review so people can understand what they are reading.

We've had this kind of quick rushed review on every single one of our games, and it's always the first review to make the press - from there on the reviews are well-written and detailed. So yes, I am a bit hard on the gaming press and the quality of their editorial... we all need to be to be honest. There are actually good people out there really trying to do a good job in the gaming press with detailed articles and in-depth articles, and even some investigative stuff. This is the press we should encourage; not the rushed reviews to be first to get page views.

kassatsu

Banned
HaRyu said:
Kussatsu is the only guy in this thread who's played the game, i think? But he said he hasnt played Casual mode at all, so I dont think anyone here knows the answer to that. :p
My friend did and he didn't know about the cutscene when we podcasted today :p

Vire

tycoonheart said:
All this over a fucking cutscene? Really? We talkin' 'bout cutscene!
You really don't get it do you.

It's not whether the cutscene impacted the quality of the review. It's that he played it on casual and lied about it.

He specifically described the ending as a swift kick to the title screen which is NOT what happens on normal.

Thus him rushing the review by playing on casual and thus lying to Dylan about it.

It'd be nice if NeoGAF banned IGN and its users stopped posting dumb articles, lists, and reviews that do nothing but generate traffic for them.

DR3AM

fuck ign, what happened to the good old days when jeremy and matt worked there?

i follow ign on twitter and 80% of their news is directly from gaf. gaf posts a story, ign copies it and doesnt gibe gaf any credit.

OHH and the reviewer is clearly lying here.

Aselith

artwalknoon said:
This looks like a winner. Reading his original review he clearly says "'Finish the last stage and defeat the final boss and what is your reward? A swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'" This is only true when beating the game on casual. When you beat the game on normal you get a cutscene, no matter how epic or not it is, its definitely not a "swift kick back to the title screen with no more than 'congratulations'". So it definitely sounds like he was writing about his playthrough on casual difficulty.

Additionally, an extra stage would also be characterized as a reward by anyone ever so if he had in fact played that stage then he would have mentioned that as a reward. And furthermore, had he played it on normal as well, he would have mentioned that there was additional content on higher difficulties (the cutscene however minor is a notable difference between the two difficulties unless it's literally a message that says "You've unlocked Hard Mode." Also, had he missed the stage unlocking in Casual, the extra stage would have been a notable difference when it added that after a Normal playthrough.)

jett

D-Member
I'm willing to side with Dylan only because of IGN's history. Even disregarding that, deleting the point of contention in the review without letting anyone know is enough. If I was IGN's EIC I'd fire the guy immediately.

DR3AM said:
fuck ign, what happened to the good old days when jeremy and matt worked there?

i follow ign on twitter and 80% of their news is directly from gaf. gaf posts a story, ign copies it and doesnt gibe gaf any credit.

OHH and the reviewer is clearly lying here.
Clear how?! This shit is anything but clear, unless you made up your mind as you read the thread title.

Vire said:

It's not whether the cutscene impacted the quality of the review. It's that he played it on casual and lied about it.

He specifically described the ending as a swift kick to the title screen which is NOT what happens on normal.

Thus him rushing the review by playing on casual and thus lying to Dylan about it.

They really don't get it.

Much of this could be mitigated if they were just honest in their reviews.

"I played it on difficulty setting X"

"I played this game for X number of hours and beat X number of levels."

...etc

Vire said:

Maybe he didn't think much of the cutscene? Maybe he played through casual mode the 2nd time and forgot about the cutscene. He told the developer straight up he played both those modes. You better have a huge set of balls to lie to the developer like that. I don't think he'd be that dumb so I do think he played through both modes.

HiVision said:
Dylan here - I'd like to point out I never complained about the score (that's all opinion-based anyway and you can't change that), and obviously when I called out the reviewer for only playing casual he quickly re-edited the bits of the article and that really showed a bit of guilt I think. (and made it look like I was complaining about nothing, which was pretty annoying)

When you clear the game on Normal you get the full epic ending - I called it a "stage" in my twittery haste early this morning, but the point I was making is that it was obvious the guy had only played the game in casual mode due to the complaint that the game just puts you back to the title screen.

To begin with, when you complete the game in Casual, it *does* just put you back to the title screen. When you complete it in Normal it gives you the full ending (with voice acting!) :)
On top of that, when you go back to the title screen it tells you that you have unlocked the new Hard mode (which also gives you a really cool visual unlock).

So I stand by my case, the guy definitely only played through casual which is a "hold your hand" mode, and if that's fine for a review then that's fine with me too, but I think he should specify that in the review so people can understand what they are reading.

We've had this kind of quick rushed review on every single one of our games, and it's always the first review to make the press - from there on the reviews are well-written and detailed. So yes, I am a bit hard on the gaming press and the quality of their editorial... we all need to be to be honest. There are actually good people out there really trying to do a good job in the gaming press with detailed articles and in-depth articles, and even some investigative stuff. This is the press we should encourage; not the rushed reviews to be first to get page views.

It's always IGN with the first, rushed review lol.

I do agree with u on that, and it's one thing I hate about IGN. Not just your game, but in general, their reviews sound really rushed and I swear I walk out knowing as much as I walked in with

DR3AM

HiVision said:

i think he went back and replayed it on normal AFTER you called him out. good job

beast786

HiVision said:

Thanks for the clarification.

Vire

jett said:
I'm willing to side with Dylan only because of IGN's history. Even disregarding that, deleting the point of contention in the review without letting anyone know is enough. If I was IGN's EIC I'd fire the guy immediately.

That's the funny part....

He IS the EIC.

HiVision said:

Still sounds like overreaction but makes more sense now. :) After playing Shooter 2 I would have played this game on casual too. :)

jett said:
You would fire the guy for saying something true? Regardless of the short scene after beating normal, he played all the content whether you believe he beat normal beforehand or not. The score isn't a lie.

Replicant

bigdaddygamebot said:
They really don't get it.

Much of this could be mitigated if they were just honest in their reviews.

"I played it on difficulty setting X"

"I played this game for X number of hours and beat X number of levels."

...etc

Pretty much. Just have the balls to admit that you took the easy way out and play on Casual because you have little time to play on normal. Then everyone would know why your review is as such and would understand it.

But IGN has bigger problem than this. They need to stop using cheap bait disguised as articles, publishing something without confirming its validity, swiping pictures that they don't own and use it in their articles, and lastly, writing bigoted articles and think it's all for fun.

jonac13

Neo Member
Vire said:
[/B]

He IS the EIC.

I think he's actually just managing editor or something to that effect. The EIC is the guy who wrote the Dark Souls eats Skyrim's face article, if that's any guide to his quality as an editor.

I'm a bit curious, Dylan: What would you say is the difference in completion time between casual and normal?

For example, would you say it takes half as much more time to beat the game on Normal as it does on easy?

Vire

Gamer @ Heart said:
You would fire the guy for saying something true? Regardless of the short scene after beating normal, he played all the content whether you believe he beat normal beforehand or not. The score isn't a lie.
The assertion isn't whether he played it or not it's that he SAID he beat it on Normal when he clearly didn't based on his vivid description. As I said earlier the problem in my eyes isn't that he played it on casual it's that he lied about it afterwords to the developers face.
Shurs said:
No he's not.

You are correct, Senior Editor.

Kazerei

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
If he played on normal only AFTER saying he had played on normal, then yes, he did lie.

Replicant

Shadow780 said:
well the gay article was written by a gay guy.

Who should know better then. Do you remember that other recent article (not from IGN) published by another gay guy who said that gay actors can't play straight character? Yeah. And then there's Perez Hilton, the scumbag of Hollywood. Being gay doesn't automatically mean you have a free pass on writing dumbass articles that stereotype other gays.

MrPliskin

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Still inconclusive imo, he does mention that there was an ending sequence of sorts in his response but that he didn't think it was significant. He actually says that's the reason he edited it in the first place.

The response he types long after all of this went down.

Don't defend the guy, it's pretty clear he's not "fit" for his job. Did anyone seriously expect a 4 hour SHMUP!? How do you blast a SHMUP for being short? They are high score titles, not story tellers, lol.

LuchaShaq

Banned
No matter who was wrong IGN SHOULD be banned here.

Wii editors that blatantly marketed for crap like the conduit.

The UC3 review that was half masturbation half press release.

Only people that I ever had any respect for that worked there were the rebel fm/gamespyaka now comedy button crew.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Vire said:
[/B]

He IS the EIC.

No he's not.

And for the record Daemon's desk is right next to mine and I've seen him playing Sidescroller all week.

Many many hours of it.

He even called me over to test out 2P with him. Very thorough.

I don't know what difficulty he was playing on. All I can say is that he's a shmup fan, a Pixejunk fan, and played a LOT of sidescroller. *shrug*

Top Bottom