• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

So you play the game on normal and it unlocks hard mode? Then you play through the same shit in hard mode to unlock this epic level? Is that how the game works??

People just like to complain. If one stage can change a review of a game so significantly, then maybe it's time to look at the game again... from the guys blog, it's pretty obvious what he was talking about from the original review.

Ravage

Sadly, this is probably what happened to the majority of JRPG reviews this gen. It's really obvious when reviewers rush through a game when their reviews ignore core features and mention stuff that makes no sense at all.

I'm not singling IGN btw (though i agree they have some of the worst reviewers around) but inaccurate/unprofessional reviews are pretty common nowadays.

Amir0x

Banned
Pride said:
It's obvious to see you didn't learn your lesson. You didn't just lie, admit to it, and are now a better person for it. You lied, got called out, abused your power to edit the past to support your lie, got caught doing so, got rightly punished, then admitted to it.

Right now the IGN guy is only at the step of abusing his powers to edit the past and getting caught doing so...

You can try to exaggerate the situation, as GAFers tend to do if it makes them feel better, but it was nothing more, nothing less. It was a simple lie wherein I edited my posts because I was too stubborn to admit I was wrong, in a volunteer position for which I am not paid at all. It was a matter of ego. Two, I was not even around for all the calling out stuff that happened afterwards. I didn't even come back to GAF to after I was already demodded. That's a fact.

The second I came on, I immediately admitted to all wrong doing, had absolutely no quarrel with the action taken against me and felt absolutely no bitterness whatsoever that people were disappointed or even maybe a little angry at the misrepresentation of my position (which was little more than me being stubborn after discovering I was actually wrong for once)

You want to pat yourself on the back and think it was anything more than that, be my guest, but all that means is you're exaggerating to try to make a point, which makes you little better than what your exaggerated story makes me out to be.

One of a million reasons not to read reviews. I mean if you have been playing games for 5 years you know what you will probably like and what you won't… right?

verdures

IGN Associate Editor Job Description said:
You adapt well to ever-changing situations, you're a problem solver and you make quick decisions but aren't afraid to admit you're not always right.
PS. You aren't

IGN is the worst. There are waaay better reviews on GameFAQs, for god's sake.

Karak

SO if he had played that other level would the game have jumped up almost 4 points? Has he said anything about that.
I see the issue here with lying, but of course he can play it on any level he wants to write the review. I don't know of a requirement. But...if 4 points of game reside in the last level...damn thats terrible.

Replicant

IGN dun goofed.

What I want to know is if there's a competition of the most unprofessional journalism conduct, who'd win? Kotaku or IGN?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a damn shame a game this good is reviewed so low :( Maybe this debacle will pique people's interest about it at least.

Cipherr

bigdaddygamebot said:
You fucking people need to stop admitting this.

Anyone who isnt crazy should know that already.

And I am absolutely serious. You dont have to agree with it, but to be shocked by it is just ridiculous to me.

JackEtc

darkressurection said:
Man, what the fuck is going on with everything involving reviews nowadays.
I don't even read reviews anymore. I think they are pointless, and it's ESPECIALLY pointless that people get pissed off when a game doesn't score what they think it should. It's a review, an OPINION. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, why yell at someone for having a different one?

I find content like Giant Bombs Quick Looks to be tons more helpful than an actual review.

darkressurection said:
Man, what the fuck is going on with everything involving reviews nowadays.

everytime a big game comes out this happens. I got halo reach early and mentioned the textures looked really low rez and ppl who had not tried the game to prove me wrong.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So has anyone actually played this to confirm if Dyland or Daemon is correct about what happens after beating Normal?

Dylan alluded to super-secret epic level and Daemon said you unlocked hard.

So, which is it?

Aselith

Karak said:
SO if he had played that other level would the game have jumped up almost 4 points? Has he said anything about that.
I see the issue here with lying, but of course he can play it on any level he wants to write the review. I don't know of a requirement. But...if 4 points of game reside in the last level...damn thats terrible.

Well, it possibly taken a significant boost from the level. Assuming the 4th level is as big as the others and all of the levels are of a similar size, it would have increased the length by 33%. which is a pretty big difference when the complaint is that it's short. If it's bigger then it would be even more significant though, of course, if it's shorter than most levels then that probably wouldn't change much.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Franklinator said:
It's been a rough few days on GAF

It really has, I've been member for a few years now and I have to admit these last few days have been pretty full on with all the talk of review controversy, it has actually been quite draining tbh, can't wait for all this to blow over.

mbmonk

Amir0x said:
You can try to exaggerate the situation, as GAFers tend to do if it makes them feel better, but it was nothing more, nothing less. It was a simple lie wherein I edited my posts because I was too stubborn to admit I was wrong, in a volunteer position for which I am not paid at all. It was a matter of ego. Two, I was not even around for all the calling out stuff that happened afterwards. I didn't even come back to GAF to after I was already demodded. That's a fact.

The second I came on, I immediately admitted to all wrong doing, had absolutely no quarrel with the action taken against me and felt absolutely no bitterness whatsoever that people were disappointed or even maybe a little angry at the misrepresentation of my position (which was little more than me being stubborn after discovering I was actually wrong for once)

You want to pat yourself on the back and think it was anything more than that, be my guest, but all that means is you're exaggerating to try to make a point, which makes you little better than what your exaggerated story makes me out to be.

LMAO!

I just found the threads on this event. They are very entertaining.

zlatko

Banned
This is fucking sad.

There's no way in shit you should be playing ANY game on casual if you are doing professional reviews in this industry. It's such a gimped version of games when you can be half asleep and the games tend to play themselves.

This douche should get fired. Better people deserve his position.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lowrider007 said:
It really has, I've been member for a few years now and I have to admit these last few days have been pretty full on with all the talk of review controversy, it has actually been quite draining tbh, can't wait for all this to blow over.

We still have a ton of big games coming up. This review shit is just starting. :\

Kabuki Waq said:
everytime a big game comes out this happens. I got halo reach early and mentioned the textures looked really low rez and ppl who had not tried the game to prove me wrong.
Well besides that U3 stuff, there was the whole Battlefield 3 craziness, there is this Pixeljunk stuff, shit is bonkers.

mbmonk said:
LMAO!

What thread?

This is fucking sad.

There's no way in shit you should be playing ANY game on casual if you are doing professional reviews in this industry. It's such a gimped version of games when you can be half asleep and the games tend to play themselves.

This douche should get fired. Better people deserve his position.
SMH

Amir0x

Banned
mbmonk said:
LMAO!

Even the greatest Gods make mistakes (hey I still got an ego, that's part of who I am!). I really genuinely thought I had never called anyone a liar before during game debates, but then after I kneejerked that comment I searched my name plus the word and discovered "wait fuck I did". Thus began the short journey to quickly edit the posts in question because I was too stubborn to just admit I was wrong. It was stupid too because in the two other occasions I said it, I think I was justified (someone said DQIX had better visuals than Uncharted 2 or something like that, to which I said he was either a liar or blind), but regardless I was too damned egotistical to just be straight forward about it.

But then I was caught, I admitted it, took responsibility and walked away with a lesson. Don't let myself get carried away over something online. Too damned silly :p

JazzmanZ

It's pretty sad and ironic the only game reviewers I can trust these days are people who aren't professional game reviewers.

Sciz

NervousXtian said:
So has anyone actually played this to confirm if Dyland or Daemon is correct about what happens after beating Normal?

Dylan alluded to super-secret epic level and Daemon said you unlocked hard.

So, which is it?
A quick poke around GameFAQs turned up that there is in fact a final stage of some sort:

After completing Sidescroller I need to amend the review I posted above....the are 13 sectors.....the 13th sector is unlocked after completing the 3 stages in full. The additional stage is simply called "The Last Stage", and it has some new graphical grain effects and an interesting boss to say the least! Enjoy!
No mention of difficulty requirements, though.

MarkMacD

Can anyone find a .gif of a bunch of folks w torches and pitchforks looking around, confused? Maybe Young Frankenstein?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone here finished the game to confirm what the hell happens at the end?

EDIT: Nvm, yet again, I post something that's answered while I'm typing. :p

Aselith

beelzebozo said:
i believe cuthbert, because he makes video games.

Someone really needs to play this and figure out which of these two people is lying. I'd do it myself but IGN gave this game a 6.5. I'll be goddamned if I buy a shitty 6.5 game.

Amir0x said:
Right because if you don't get caught then nobody ever cares and thus nobody ever knows. Everybody lies at some point, for example, but if everyone immediately confessed the second the lie left their mouth, there'd be a really awkward conversations going on.

The important thing is, of course, not to lie in the first place when you don't need to, but then if you get caught don't dig your hole deeper. Take responsibility. That goes for anything. Admit what you did.

Do you remember EGM92? He had like 6 Xbox 360's break. He was infuriated. Someone asks him to post a picture of his set up, and it turns out he's been keeping his 360s on a subwoofer. Yet he denies it for ages, even after someone posts a picture side by side comparison of his subwoofer model in question next to the real subwoofer. He just says it's a wine cooler forever.

The situation would have been mitigated if he didn't take that shovel and dig deeper. Because everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but the real problem is when you don't learn from them.
Good lord I remember that...BeatBox finally caught him too lol.

Top Bottom