• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

Amir0x

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Good lord I remember that...BeatBox finally caught him too lol.

Yup. I couldn't stop laughing that whole time. I think he was on IRC or something during this too, so it made it even more hilarious

Billychu said:
Why is it that IGN's editors are always the ones doing this?
Because you hear about it more. GAF is quick to crucify them, rightly so sometimes, for the smallest things. Someone starts a thread for an article of theirs, the cycle continues.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Aselith said:
Someone really needs to play this and figure out which of these two people is lying. I'd do it myself but IGN gave this game a 6.5. I'll be goddamned if I buy a shitty 6.5 game.
I haven't finished it yet, but it's definitely not a shitty game. And there's an extra stage, yes.

kassatsu

Banned
I wonder if he actually checked it out on hard after he unlocked it, because it changes the visuals of the game quite drastically.

Vire

Why would he pull a line from a review without telling anyone or making any sort of notation. Especially after having a dispute with a developer...

Every other journalistic site with any sort of integrity makes note whenever there is an edit to an article.

Only after getting caught did he come up with some excuse.

I'm not buying it but I'll put my pitchfork down for now.

Aselith

GDJustin said:
Daemon even said he saw the final stage, though...

That is something he said. The question is if it was before or after he got called out. Reputation is a hell of a motivator to get that stage unlocked.

Amir0x

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Because you hear about it more. GAF is quick to crucify them, rightly so sometimes, for the smallest things. Someone starts a thread for an article of theirs, the cycle continues.

Come on though. That vapid 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 review for Uncharted 3? This shit? The latest string of articles (should Zelda be more like Elder Scrolls, etc)...

...IGN really is just a shitty shitty website.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:
Daemon even said he saw the final stage, though...

Daemon said:
To clarify, there are three stages in SideScroller. In both casual and normal mode, when you complete all three stages you unlock the "last stage." So I played through this last stage on both difficulties.

According to that, he saw the "last stage" on both Casual and Normal.

According to Dylan Cuthbert, you shouldn't be able to see the last stage on Casual at all.

lowrider007 said:
It really has, I've been member for a few years now and I have to admit these last few days have been pretty full on with all the talk of review controversy, it has actually been quite draining tbh, can't wait for all this to blow over.

Is this what every holiday season turns into? If so, it'll get old pretty quick

Massa

IGN should have a policy of not making edits to their reviews, it just makes them look bad even when they didn't do anything wrong (like in this case).

Shurs

kassatsu said:
I wonder if he actually checked it out on hard after he unlocked it, because it changes the visuals of the game quite drastically.

I think Hatfield said he hadn't.

In fairness, you shouldn't have to play a game three times to review it.

It appears that Cuthbert overreacted here.

I wonder if he'll say as much.

Aselith

HaRyu said:
Daemon said:

According to that, he saw the "last stage" on both Casual and Normal.

According to Dylan Cuthbert, you shouldn't be able to see the last stage on Casual at all.

I wish Dylan would get his ass back in the thread and clear this up. He's clearly the best source to settle the dispute having made the game and whatnots.

Massa

Shurs said:
I think Hatfield said he didn't.

It appears that Cuthbert overreacted here.

I wonder if he'll say as much.

Nah, he's still bitching on twitter.

Shurs

Aselith said:
I wish Dylan would get his ass back in the thread and clear this up. He's clearly the best source to settle the dispute having made the game and whatnots.

Is it possible he doesn't know how his game plays out on casual?

If that's the case, we need to start a new thread.

Developer, mad at review score, lashes out at IGN for no reason. GAF overreacts.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Aselith said:

Or at least we get someone who's actually finished the game on Casual and Normal. :p

Shurs said:
Is it possible he doesn't know how his game plays out on casual?

I can't even begin to fathom how the hell that could happen.

Massa

we.are.the.armada said:
Lying and then trying to lie out of it is fucking sad and usually a sign of narcissism when in a professional context. Gross.

What was the lie? I don't see it.

Wow, I didn't expect the story to change this soon. To bad the damage is done here on GAF. Like someone said earlier, most of you judged the situation based on the title of this thread alone. It should be changed as soon as we hear from Dylan.

This is like that Bon Jovi song where Bon Jovi goes "You give love a bad name" only instead of love this guy is giving game reviewers a bad name.

Vire

Dylan is still tweeting about it:

http://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert

He said that he's backpedaling with his response.

Aselith said:
Someone really needs to play this and figure out which of these two people is lying. I'd do it myself but IGN gave this game a 6.5. I'll be goddamned if I buy a shitty 6.5 game.

You are either a master troll or I'm going insane.

Kraftwerk

Why does this matter? If people hate IGN on gaf so much then stop talking about it / posting articles about it.

Diarrhea tastes bad, everyone knows that, but you don't taste it every time to confirm.

FUCK!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ninja Scooter said:
This is like that Bon Jovi song where Bon Jovi goes "You give love a bad name" only instead of love this guy is giving game reviewers a bad name.

yeah! or it's like that other bon jovi song "i'll be there for you," except he's singing to the personification of questionable journalism, like, i'll be there for you, mister questionable journalism.

Amir0x said:
Yup. I couldn't stop laughing that whole time. I think he was on IRC or something during this too, so it made it even more hilarious
I do remember people asking when RCA started making wine coolers lol

This is pretty shitty but it happens. I don't know if it's just the amount of time they have total or how fast they are expected to turn our a review or just a lazy attitude from years of doing this. I remember Eurogamer talking about weapons in the Rfom Multiplayer that weren't even in multiplayer and bitching about it when they clearly didn't play it.

Edit: I thought he said 'you haven't seen the ending' not 'you haven't seen the last stage'

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I used to think it was just trolling when people want IGN banned.

..but seriously now, I don't see why they're not. Fucking shameful.

Vire

beelzebozo said:
yeah! or it's like that other bon jovi song "i'll be there for you," except he's singing to the personification of questionable journalism, like, i'll be there for you, mister questionable journalism.
Where's the :lol emote when you need it...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amir0x said:
Come on though. That vapid 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 review for Uncharted 3? This shit? The latest string of articles (should Zelda be more like Elder Scrolls, etc)...

...IGN really is just a shitty shitty website.

It really is. I don't even care about the scores, the actual CONTENT of that UC3 review is godawful and is what the stupid controversy with that mess really should be. I'm still not sure what to make of this one for now, but this stuff happening right after those constantly stupid articles is just tiring.

Kraftwerk said:
Why does this matter? If people hate IGN on gaf so much then stop talking about it / posting articles about it.

Diarrhea tastes bad, everyone knows that, but you don't taste it every time to confirm.

FUCK!
Hate, misguided or no, is a stronger emotion to incite posts from us, sadly.

Vire said:
Dylan is still tweeting about it:

http://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert

He said that he's backpedaling with his response.
This guy is coming off as a douche now. The reviewer responded nicely about how exactly he went through the game. Provide a rebuttal on that if he is wrong.

Cartman86

Banned
Unless I'm missing something there is no way to determine if he didn't play the game on normal. Unless they can demonstrate with his PS3 test unit PSN profile or something (if that final boss trophy is that extra "level"). I would need to know what time he got the trophy as well. At this point there no reason real reason to shit on this guy without evidence. Obviously we won't get the information needed to know so it's a good thing there are going to be plenty of other reviews out there. The whole metacritic thing sucks though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
lowrider007 said:
errr, no, I actually saw the original post in the official thread of the game, it was in there that the op said he was going to make a new thread on the matter, and here we are, I've been following this closely from the beginning.
No offense, but I'm not sure that following the official thread for a game clears you of potential bias when a negative review like this pops up.

Actually going through the review, I find Hatfield's prose and grammar to be more offensive than any of the actual controversy. This review reads like it was written by an eighth-grader wrestling with the English language. It is a mess of improper word usage, shifting tenses, filler turns of phrase that are both meaningless and confusing, and atrocious word order. This review is embarrassing and SideScroller deserves better, but that's really just how most video game websites operate. People who can't write churn out terrible reviews because there is little incentive to actually construct a well thought out review worth reading.

Vire

tycoonheart said:
This guy is coming off as a douche now. The reviewer responded nicely about how exactly he went through the game. Provide a rebuttal on that if he is wrong.
Listen, don't call one of the minds of Starfox/Pixel Junk a douche.

That's sacrelig.

Replicant

Shurs said:

No, but if you're a journalist and you play weak-ass casual then have the balls to admit it. So then people will understand why your review is as such and why you didn't get to see the additional contents that others would have gotten if they play on normal.

tycoonheart said:

He might be now controlling his own damage which would be ironic and fun as hell.

So has anyone figured out what happens when you beat the game on Normal that is different than Casual?

Is this "epic stage" unlocked when you beat it on normal, but then must be played on Hard (and you then have to play through the whole thing on hard)?

Because if he played through the game once on casual then once on normal, and if its reasonable he just didn't know there wasn't extra content to be played, then what's the big deal? The sentence he took out of the review doesn't change anything - it just removes a "fact" that wasn't quite correct. Would have been wise to include a note with the change, but not something to flip out over.

If everything else he said is true - it's short and not compelling enough to want to chase high scores - then $10 for a couple of not-that-fun plays through a sub-1 hour game is pretty shitty.

Edit - also, can someone confirm how many stages there are? The review (both pre and post edit) says there are three.

beelzebozo said:

Dylan Cuthbert is a cowboy. On a steel horse he rides. A steel horse of credibility and integrity.

Top Bottom