• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

8byte

Banned
Games still in development running on dev-kits, news at 11.

Way to fish for hits, IGN. Fucking shameful and pathetic.

Justin

I've been kinda concerned by the size of the PS4.

Find myself wondering what all the people who pointed out when some Xbox One games were running on PC are feeling right now. Hopefully equal feelings directed towards Sony.

What is the concern with the size? Ventilation and heat?

Title seems explosive.

Of course they are devkits.

No shit they're using dev-kits. IGN pays this guy?

I'm going to pre-order a PS4 dev kit instead. its the only way to be sure.

News at 11

Games being developed still for a console that hasn't launched and is still 3 months from launch are demoed on dev kits.

Dev Kits =/= To spec PCs

Why shouldn't they run on devkits? x_x
Games still in development running on dev-kits, news at 11.

Way to fish for hits, IGN. Fucking shameful and pathetic.

To be fair, apparently Microsoft had retail Xbox One units at Gamescom running games.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My lord. People seriously considering canceling for this? Wow. I hope I'm never on the ship you guys sail on. Too many people ready to jump off.

Sit back, relax in the tub.

Caayn

Find myself wondering what all the people who pointed out when some Xbox One games were running on PC are feeling right now. Hopefully equal feelings directed towards Sony.
Lol, nope. Sony can't do anything wrong. I doubt that this gets even 1% of the attention that Microsoft got with Lococycle running on PCs.

The way I understood this was that the uproar about XBOX One a few months ago was because they were using high-spec, Windows-based PC's, playing games with the XBOX Controller while Sony was showing stuff off on DevKits.

Am I wrong here? I would hope that, at this point, everything is running on DevKits at a minimum. I'm not that concerned if either of them aren't running on final hardware yet.

He doesn't usually write about games, he's their tech editor...

No you have it right

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
To be fair, apparently Microsoft had retail Xbox One units at Gamescom running games.

It's the same hardware. A devkit doesn't have better performance, it just has more interfaces for debugging, and certainly lacks some security restrictions that retail units have.

iBcTPDhrbSX7B.gif
Good play good Sir...
also this lol
-------------------------------------------------------
Edit: of course their devkits... -_-

Kade

That can be taken as good news. Sony is saving as many ps4s as it can for preorders and store shelves. They announced their street date. I have no worries about them meeting it.

I'm sure they're really concerned about losing sales on those 25-100 demo units.

Clockwork5

Much different tone here than on the Xbox thread about the same issue which was the neogaf litter box for a good week or so.

Ok, I thought the situation at Gamescom from show floor impressions here that there were working PS4's at the Sony booths and devkits at third party booths.

Cartman86

Banned
Don't see why it should be much worse than the Wii U Gamepad.

That would be great but previous attempts by Sony have sucked and increasing WiFi hardware isn't going to do it. They need to speed up video decoding etc. Just hope it was a big enough focus from the beginning.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Devkit, not a PC spec'd to console settings.

macewank

not sure what the story here is.

unfinished/unreleased console, unfinished/unreleased game code.

of course they're going to run off of dev kits?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How can you tell if Albert Penello says they are the same? I'm assuming what he means by that is that they look the same, as a devkit should have more memory.

AngryMoth

It's understandable, just the reality of developing for a new console. I accepted a while ago that everything that is being shown for next gen is only what developers hope it will look like. Will judge the graphics once the systems are actually out.

How much remote play demos do they need? Is he really starting to wonder if it works even though they have been doing it for years now with the original PSP? lol

PS4 launch is set, locked and loaded. What is the concern?

GQman2121

Banned
In a season where they're going to want to have as many units as possible on sale, I'm not surprised that devs kits are being used to demo these.....demos.

Or were they shells with fake power cords also? How do we know for sure?!

To be fair their dev kit is also the console, which is why it is bigger I suppose. It is also a pretty nice way to handle dev kits, but I wonder about the security of that down the road.

I guess, I think this close to launch, having a consumer unit Xbox One already done and finished and playing games as opposed to a devkit instills more confidence generally. I don't care either way.

how many consoles on display are we talking about ?
and why is it so obvious, to some, that Sony would use devkits instead ? especially when MS had retail units running in their booth.
I'm just asking because I'm curious

Massa

Much different tone here than on the Xbox thread about the same issue which was the neogaf litter box for a good week or so.

It's not the same issue at all, a PC running Windows is not a console devkit.

how many consoles on display are we talking about ?
and why is it so obvious, to some, that Sony would use devkits instead ? especially when MS had retail units running in their booth.
I'm just asking because I'm curious

Microsoft also uses devkits in their booths, when they're not using Windows PC's that is. It just so happens that the external design of their devkits is identical to the retail unit.

teiresias

Lol, nope. Sony can't do anything wrong. I doubt that this gets even 1% of the attention that Microsoft got with Lococycle running on PCs.

Except here Scott doesn't know the difference between a devkit and a PC. They were running on devkits, not "to spec" PCs. This is completely expected.

Top Bottom