• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

Skeff

I think his fear is not the real power of a retail PS4 console but the smaller design of the console - with no power brick etc. ... Like "Can the PS4 design handle the power of the PS4?"

iwoBMHy.png

Well..a PS4 uses less power and thus less heat than a PS3 Slim, You'd think someone in his position should know that.

And there is a difference between those two and what the final PS4 form is. Which is a fraction of the size of both.

So they have a fair point by raising this.

You might be onto something here, maybe SONY lied and and they're scratching their heads right now and panicking because they can't put all the components inside the PS4 retail case.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not sure if that's sarcasm, but yes the games they had were being playing on consumer Xbones.
Can you please answer my question and tell me how you can determine the difference between developer Xbone and consumer Xbone? (You quoted Albert Penello about his point before that they are the same, so how can you differentiate them?)

I find it unlikely that Sony would have so many spare PS4s available to use at all these conventions. If I'm not mistaken most Xbone games are played on devkits too.

Yeah are Xbox games running on final retail hardware? Why isn't IGN talking about that........

pr0cs

It's pretty surprising tbh. It has a lot of tech packed into a tiny space so I can see how people could be concerned/curious.
I just hope they can get the cooling down property because my phat PS3 is easily the loudest component in my home theatre, more so than my hacked together HTPC and 360 combined.

Can you please answer my question and tell me how you can determine the difference between developer Xbone and consumer Xbone? (You quoted Albert Penello about his point before that they are the same, so how can you differentiate them?)

I guess since every Xbone is also a devkit it'd be difficult to ascertain, true enough.

I'm not sure what quote you're talking about though?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Didn't we already have that raised as an issue some time back with MS?
You must be misremembering. There were people complaining about Xbox One software running on actual PC. As opposed to Xbox One devkits.

I guess since every Xbone is also a devkit it'd be difficult to ascertain, true enough.

I'm not sure what quote you're talking about though?
"Lastly – anything that was shown on a box, was shown on near-final retail HW. Our Dev Kits and Retail Units are the same."
You quoted it earlier today, that's why I just alluded to it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Everyone in here acting like this is 100% commonplace, question, when do people actually get to use a stock PS4? Launch day? I would find it odd if MS or Sony didn't have a final console for use at some point before launch by press.

Lazaro

So there is a playable PC version non-debug version of Killzone, Gran Turismo and Driveclub? Sweet Jesus!!!

But this goes against what first party PS4 Devs were saying at E3.

Xbudz

I would think Microsoft was using virtual machines to run Xbox One on PC.
Virtual hardware vs real hardware. It's still a dev environment.

rmnxkRI.png

I dunno, they look like PCs to me. lol

Microsoft also uses devkits in their booths, when they're not using Windows PC's that is. It just so happens that the external design of their devkits is identical to the retail unit.

Eh, maybe. I also think people are looking to deeply into this. I would venture to guess most PS3 games in development are run on PS3 dev kits at these events as well, yet that doesn't make the news.

Devs using devkits to demonstrate their unfinished game code. I'm shocked.

the IGN guy makes it seem like it's odd or unusual and even starts his tweet with the words "some concerning facts"... I wonder how those guys don't even feel embarassed

madmackem

It's pretty surprising tbh. It has a lot of tech packed into a tiny space so I can see how people could be concerned/curious.
I just hope they can get the cooling down property because my phat PS3 is easily the loudest component in my home theatre, more so than my hacked together HTPC and 360 combined.
My ps3 slim is silent, sony will have tested this machine in a million ways having seen ms go through rrod gate.

While I wouldn't call this highly troubling, it does make you wonder.

It's amusing seeing the cognitive dissonance this is causing some people, seeing actual XB1 hardware running games at Gamescom, while Sony wasn't.

jond76

Banned
Yeah, the concern he is expressing is how will the dev-kit guts will be fit into the PS4 case we've been shown. Xbox has it easier because the case is bigger, but Sony may have some squishing to do.

Funny thing is, if it was Microsoft it would be this thread would be full of posts saying "Microsoft are so far behind in development".

Well, the difference of perspective is there.

One company showed off what seems to be a close-to-final OS, announced a release date with a large-list of launch countries, and seems to be confident in their ability to meet preorders. And Sony ninjas ensured no leaks from their production end, be it good or bad.

One company has yet to show off their OS ( had to fake it at reveal ), yet to announce a release date, and had to cut countries launched from 21 to 13. And there's been negative leaks throughout the entire thing. Regardless of truth, it's a lingering factor.

Honestly though, the presence of actual retail kits mean nothing.

So the black box with the cords coming out of it is actually a Devkit "PC"? Lol, IGN. It's a fucking PS4 devkit.

A PC with with a devkit environment isn't the same as a Devkit for a console.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This hardware just needs to come out.

Everyone in here acting like this is 100% commonplace, question, when do people actually get to use a stock PS4? Launch day? I would find it odd if MS or Sony didn't have a final console for use at some point before launch by press.

Yea, not too far out. This stuff is in major rush/crunch mode. I've read reports about launch games not working a few weeks before release.

This is why you don't see games like GT6 or The Last of Us being moved to PS4 launch. Too many unknown variables and moving targets.

ethomaz

Banned
No.

Albert Penello:

Lastly – anything that was shown on a box, was shown on near-final retail HW. Our Dev Kits and Retail Units are the same.
You know the bold part is not true... the Xbone devkit has more RAM than the retail one... MS is planning to release a software update to make any Xbone a weak DevKit.

EagleEyes

The way they were set up at Gamescom I assumed they were actually standing on top of hidden PCs.

So I was right.

Games were actually running on XBOX ONE hardware at the MS booth.
I know because my Forza demo crashed and the console had to be restarted.

Still - nothing to worry about I say.
Interesting. Why would Sony even try and make it look like they were running the game on actual PS4's. Thats hilarious.

chadskin

To state the obvious: games are running on dev kits because they allow to run unsigned code. It doesn't make sense to master betas onto a disc for each and every expo they attend, and multiple times for every demo unit. We won't see *real* PS4 retail units up until very close to release, until the games are done. No reason to be concerned (yet).

Paskil

Not surprised that Gies is all up in that conversation. Most likely, cackling with glee. Following Beck logic, MS hasn't said they aren't buying positive press since their PR is failing. They must be buying positive press.

Chaplain

Yeah, the concern he is expressing is how will the dev-kit guts will be fit into the PS4 case we've been shown. Xbox has it easier because the case is bigger, but Sony may have some squishing to do.

There would be no concern if he could see the size of a PS3 Devkit and the size of the first PS3.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Sony, on the other hand, is a hardware company through and through and has among the best hardware designers and hardware engineers out there. I'm not sure what Lowe is implying here.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kenshin001 said:
Anyway, it's pretty concerning if Sony haven't shown anything running on a retail unit especially at Gamescom. Bit of a fraud they had mockups too.
I can't say about PS4 - but for PSP launch - things were Devkit only at TGS before launch(<3months), and that was a handheld, not just bit smaller box than the devkit.
Hell pre-launch TGS for PS2 was running almost entirely on Beta Devkits (the downclocked, unfinished hw with no optical-disk drives).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
...gaming journalism, everybody
This is how you do journalism these days - tweet something provocative so you antagonize your source into providing the thing you want. I'm guessing IGN is a little salty they don't have a retail PS4 to play with yet.

Top Bottom