• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

"Garme Journalism" at it's finest yet again.

Scoop... PS4 games are not running on an unreleased consoles, but on dev kits, color me impressed !

As for those brining back the Xbox One running on PC arguments from a while back, it was a whole different ballpark. Those PCs were sporting high-end video cards and stuff that's light years beyond what's in the actual xbox... Which was quite dishonest when you're pretending the stuff you're shocasing will look exactly like that on your hardware.

Dev Kits are similar to the consoles, with only a slight boost so they can ren debugging software and stuff for coding in the background.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's certainly kinda of amusing seeing the cognitive dissonance this is causing some people, seeing XB1 hardware running games at Gamescom, while Sony wasn't.
I'm now at this point where I don't even know who is having a laugh and who actually didn't read the even all the posts on twitter that I quoted.

XB1 devkits look like XB1 retail hw. (Source: My interpretation of what Albert Penello means when he says "they are the same.")
PS4 devkits don't look like PS4 retail hw. (Source: leaked images and FCC filing)

According to Scott Lowe, games were shown on PS4 devkits.

So in conclusion: It's XB1 (devkit or retail, how do you determine this) vs. PS4 (devkit)?

No it's not. One is a PC devkit configured to run PS4 code. The other is a custom manufactured part which is a PS4. They are not the same hardware.
Please elaborate on the distinction. According to my understanding a PS4 devkit is a PS4 in a different case with a different firmware and more memory to fit profiling and other debugging tools.

So both are using dev-kits to show their games...

- Microsoft

Reaction: Oh my god they are having production issues, and the hardware was of a much higher specification. They lied!

- Sony

Reaction: Everything will be fine

velociraptor

To state the obvious: games are running on dev kits because they allow to run unsigned code. It doesn't make sense to master betas onto a disc for each and every expo they attend, and multiple times for every demo unit. We won't see *real* PS4 retail units up until very close to release, until the games are done. No reason to be concerned (yet).
That is exactly it.

cmgfender

Banned
Xbox One games at E3 running on PC: omg so far behind.
PS4 games running on PC 3 months out till launch: totally acceptable

Goodlife

Sorry for being dull here, but 3 months away, surely the hardware would be final by now???

If so, what would be the benefits of still using a dev kit?

ari

Banned
How can sony keep the ps4 both slim and cool?

I dont know, this first gen seems suspect judging by the ps3 phat.

cmgfender

Banned
Sorry for being dull here, but 3 months away, surely the hardware would be final by now???

If so, what would be the benefits of still using a dev kit?

unassigned code.

Its totally resonable for sony to be using dev kits right now. 100% fine.

Its just funny that if this were MS everyone would say how terrible it is

pr0cs

My ps3 slim is silent, sony will have tested this machine in a million ways having seen ms go through rrod gate.

yeah but we're talking launch hardware here, and the launch PS3s were far from silent so it makes sense to be concerned that the launch PS4 is not shown yet

iamvin22

Industry Verified
When ps3 was launching I didn't get a test kit till a month before launch. Always had devkits at my desk so I don't know what he is expecting here.

Mit-

84VnXHW.png

kaz+hirai.jpg

Retail units? Are people this dumb? Do they still believe that the kewl video game companies have the next-generation of video games secretly hiding in their headquarters years in advance and are playing them for their own personal enjoyment before releasing them to us?

If they had retail units in June, retailers probably would have had them in June too.

Skeff

Everyone in here acting like this is 100% commonplace, question, when do people actually get to use a stock PS4? Launch day? I would find it odd if MS or Sony didn't have a final console for use at some point before launch by press.

It's different depending on who you are.

Dev's will likely continue to use the DevKits waaay past launch at tradeshows.
There will be some Retail Units in QA right now somewhere in Sony, testing for heating etc.
News site like IGN will probably get them about 2 weeks before launch with games.
Retail stores will get Retail consoles for their booths etc around the same time as IGN.
Customers get them Launch day.

Everyone in here acting like this is 100% commonplace, question, when do people actually get to use a stock PS4? Launch day? I would find it odd if MS or Sony didn't have a final console for use at some point before launch by press.

Press get to use debug units because Press need x99 lives to finish game by review deadline, EmptySpace says.

It seems he is making the distinction that this is bad, because Xbox One games were shown on the retail device.

No idea how they can tell that, because according to Albert Penello the Xbox One devkit and retail kit are the same.

He is not saying showing on devkits is a bad thing, we is saying that is concerning that 3 months from launch sony haven't showed an actual retail box working yet, because the devkit is way larger than the retail box.

madmackem

- Microsoft

Reaction: Oh my god they are having production issues, they suck!

- Sony

No ms showing games on dev kits that are the same boxes as retail, ms got its shit together
Sony shows games on ps4 dev kits that look nothing like retail, shit everyone panic sony am box issues.

beast786

- Microsoft

Reaction: Oh my god they are having production issues, and the hardware was of a much higher specification. They lied!

- Sony

Show me where and which thread people in mass complain about xbox games running of Devkits. People complain about running on PC's .

Becky

Banned
Sony hardware will be fine. I do doubt many of the software features they have shown. Will be surprised if it all works like they have shown.

Show me where and which thread people in mass complain about xbox games running of Devkits. People complain about running on PC's .

The PC was a devkit.

Yeah, the concern he is expressing is how will the dev-kit guts will be fit into the PS4 case we've been shown. Xbox has it easier because the case is bigger, but Sony may have some squishing to do.

at this point in time they probably know how to put one thing into another and I suppose they had worked out if the dev-kit guts would fit into a PS4 case :p
I don't see them changing the PS4 design or anything like that for the reason: "it didn't fit"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Anyway, it's pretty concerning if Sony haven't shown anything running on a retail unit especially at Gamescom. Bit of a fraud they had mockups too.

Just as a side note, it is also possible that the XB1's were devkits:

Retail XB1:

XboxOneBackPorts.jpg

XB1 devkit given to people for promotion purposes:

xboxone-devkity2sny.png

There is an additional USB-host port on the far right for debugging purposes indicating that it is a devkit. And it's no big deal since the actual hardware is the same. Devkits just add more interfaces (and often more memory for debugging, but that has no effect on game performance). Using a devkit does not imply problems, it's just what devs are using; hence the term "devkit".

jond76

Banned
Sony, on the other hand, is a hardware company through and through and has among the best hardware designers and hardware engineers out there. I'm not sure what Lowe is implying here.

Maybe he's implying that Sony is touting over a million pre-orders, and hasn't been able to produce one working retail kit.

It's all stupid, most threads on this board concerning both MS and Sony. Just a product of people being excited for the start of a new gen and conjuring things up to argue about.

- Microsoft

- Sony

To be fair, the concern for Xbone production has more to do with the radically reduced number of launch regions. The concern at E3 was related to the PCs that MS used clearly NOT being dev kits.

GameSeeker

To state the obvious: games are running on dev kits because they allow to run unsigned code. It doesn't make sense to master betas onto a disc for each and every expo they attend, and multiple times for every demo unit. We won't see *real* PS4 retail units up until very close to release, until the games are done. No reason to be concerned (yet).

Chadskin understands. Sony would be stupid to bring final HW to Gamescom as retail units can't run unsigned code. Devkits can, so they are perfect for showing off early code builds.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please elaborate on the distinction. According to my understanding a PS4 devkit is a PS4 in a different case with a different firmware and more memory to fit profiling and other debugging tools.

So they are not the same hardware. They are not the same motherboard. They are different.

The OP is stating that IGN didn't spot any actual PS4's running games. If they using devkit then IGN is correct.

kitch9

Banned

- Microsoft

- Sony

Sony hasn't got a credible verified leak suggesting production issues and isn't slashing launch territories pretending they have only just realised that they have to localise the product.

This was the guy that interviewed Cerny the other day right wasn't it?

That was the most awkward interview ever, it's like he had no clue what to ask, and when he did, he had no clue about what he just said.

- Microsoft

- Sony

Erm, production issues claims didn't come from the fact that they're using devkits, why did you reach that amazing conclusion?

RulkezX

Yeah, the concern he is expressing is how will the dev-kit guts will be fit into the PS4 case we've been shown. Xbox has it easier because the case is bigger, but Sony may have some squishing to do.

You would have thought Sony engineers had thought of this. In a way it's a good thing this guy pointed it out , he might just have saved the next gen for Sony.

jond76

Banned
at this point in time they probably know how to put one thing into another and I suppose they had worked out if the dev-kit guts would fit into a PS4 case :p
I don't see them changing the PS4 design or anything like that for the reason: "it didn't fit"

I don't either, but it would be hilarious.

Isn't it normal for developers who are developing games for the launch, or launch-window of the new consoles to showcase their games on development units that are better/easier to debug/reboot or just generally work with?

If they brought a game on a printed disk and had it available for play that would require a lot of work beforehand to make a build specifically for public demos, whereas by having a dev unit they can just run a command and show a specific section of gameplay much quicker without having to setup specific demos to do so.

Given how quickly they have to finish the titles in order to have a good and stable product on shelves, to me it makes sense that they'd have development units to showcase them rather than finished hardware.

I don't particularly see this as a concern. Sony has yet to give me a reason in to be concerned with the quality of their final hardware, I have yet to have one to fail on me (note: I'm not neglecting the fact that some people have had issues with Sony hardware, but that is not the case with most users).

I may be completely wrong, but it seems like someone who prefers Microsoft's console is trying to draw attention away from some of Microsoft's secrecy regarding the console's release date and curious selection of countries for their 2013 launch. Again, not saying this is necessarily the case, but it certainly seems that way to me right now.

So when does Sony and Microsoft start producing these things in the factory? It seems like Microsoft may have already started? Would this indicate they have more supply than Sony at launch?

Sony hasn't shown FAKE bogus footage this time. All their games have had problems

DriveClub
1 car on screen, jaggies, 30 FPS with screen tearing

Killzone Shadow Fall
Pop ups, missing effects, no AI @ E3. At Gamescom - multiplayer running at fluctuating frame rate

Knack
good leap over the E3 build but the game doesn't seem graphically impressive

inFamous Second Son
pop ups in the e3 build, stuff improved more recently

???

so yea the Sony games aren't running on a titan rig with i7

Top Bottom