• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Stellar Blade has racist artwork which will be removed with the day one patch

Barakov

PihyHZC.jpeg

They could have left it in and I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Especially if it's a texture that's used a lot. I don't mind that they changed it, it's their game. It makes no difference to me what's painted on that wall. Considering the game was made by a South Korean team they probably didn't connect the dots because it's not something they regularly deal with.
Same here. Still dumb that they're even pointing it out. Just shows you how sensitive people are.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m from Atlanta Ga. We’ve heard so much racist crap it’s hilarious at this point because it just shows ignorance. What does offend me is a person of another color trying to explain what he perceives as a “norm in my culture”… “ oh black people do this” etc etc.

A jokes a joke. Ignorance is always uncool though.

So how would you explain the "Hard R" reference to someone in another country who has no idea what is being talked about?

Aenima

In the context of this thread title and generally on social media hard R is the N word with the R
And with shop meaning you can buy N word
That's the first thing that came to my mind, but in the context of the game it doesn't make sense
What came to my mind was Harder Shop. Like a reference to a sex shop since the game has other horny references.

DryvBy

Weirdo progressives operate like this: "Let's make something racist no matter what. Then when someone uses it, we'll call them racist." Just dumbest people on the planet.

They're essentially making real racism seem unimportant with these BS claims. Toddler levels of "I'm telling!".

violence

Anyone think the N word + gendered language (hard O or A) is much worse? It's like double plus ungood.

6QIvlHU.jpeg

Last edited:
Atleast this one I can understand being offensive. It doesn't bother me, but I get it. (I'm black btw). Also I think slapping the term racist on it without knowing if it was intentional or not is too far.

Overall I wouldn't call this a reach. I think some ppl here throw out all logic because they want to disagree with RetardEra(which I get, they are retards after all) But let's not forget that's exactly how they got the way they are over there.

Anyway, At the end of the day, atleast here differing opinions can be discussed , without a pussy banning you

Last edited:

Aenima

Anyone think the N word + gendered language (hard O or A) is much worse? It's like double plus ungood.

6QIvlHU.jpeg
In Portuguese is the same, saying "negra" or "negro" is the non offensive way, or saying "person of color". Calling someone black in portuguese is the offensive way. This was something that i found confusing when i started interacting in english speaking forums as ppl was calling others black and everyone was fine with it.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I had no idea, would have flown right over my head. All this drama, gamers are a unique bunch of complainers. Movies and Music have far worse than any of this yet the backlash doesn't seem as loud.
It's a crazy world.

So much for Stellar Blade being uncensored lol. This is honestly so stupid. They shouldn’t have to remove it, but whatever. These activists who will look for anything to be offended about. Instead of talking about the qualities of the game, they rather nitpick things that might be offensive to a very diminutive amount of people instead.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So in the end they’re going to censored the game huh
So much for Stellar Blade being uncensored lol. This is honestly so stupid. They shouldn’t have to remove it, but whatever. These activists who will look for anything to be offended about. Instead of talking about the qualities of the game, they rather nitpick things that might be offensive to a very diminutive amount of people instead.

It isn't being censored. Sony and Shift Up are doing this on their own, not in response to any activists. Whether or not they should or should not make the change is debatable, but it isn't censorship.

mnkl13

i didn't know about this until today... so this expression was invented in a way refer to another one that is considered offensive, without being offensive. but now it seems this one is just as offensive as the previous one. maybe we should come up with another expression to refer to present one without being offensive, until it too becomes offensive, and so on and on.. and one day we'll have a whole book written. did i get it right?

Tams

In the game's context, it fits:

This is not directed at you.

If you're reaching that much for a 'racist phrase', then you are race obsessed and therefore almost certainly racist yourself.

I wish there really were an Armageddon coming. Sweet meteor, hurry up please!

Buggy Loop

42 years old

Never heard of HARD R in my life

It's fucking cute that woke Americans journalists really believe the fucking world revolves around them. Why would HARD R be anywhere else in the world? I'm trying to compute how a Korean artist would even know this. It's so specific. I know American culture bleeds worldwide but again, I consume it every night, never heard of this. It's really out of nowhere for me and I'm a Northern neighbor in Canada.

edit - CRIME R now? Oh FFS

Confused Parks And Recreation GIF

Last edited:

Aenima

Everyone's saying banning Americans off TikTok is a bad idea. I think they should be blocked off all social media
Pixiv a japanese host for artwork, will start blocking NSFW content for users in the US and UK starting today (25th April). So i guess it will not take too long untill the US is like China and has they own social medias isolated from the world.

Last edited:
so, I first saw the patched/"corrected" screenshoot and no full context of it, so I was kinda confused about what's wrong with this and why was it changed. and now I that realized about the context of the whole thing, I have to say, meh.
I understand the reasoning behind changing it, and it's not a big deal since I highly doubt the dev put it in intentionally since they're Korean. but just because a portion of the players in one country MIGHT find it offensive (and let's face it, most of the folks this would supposeingly "be offended" by this probably don't care about it all that much IRL) sounds like some serious over-reaction to me. as an Asian living in the US, I don't give a flying F if my race is represented or not in most media I enjoy. and I laugh at most of the stereotypical Asian jokes I came across, or at worst, just ignore it if it's too offensive. folks need to stop trying to make mountains out of mole hills and instead try to find more joy in their life.

Mooreberg

People are gonna go apeshit if this game sells really well. Is it banned on any forums yet?

Also, am I the only one who thought it was an accidental reference to mental retardation?

Never heard of it in this context. And it seems like I'm not alone. More fishing for controversy and clicks.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People are gonna go apeshit if this game sells really well. Is it banned on any forums yet?

Also, am I the only one who thought it was an accidental reference to mental retardation?

Never heard of it in this context. And it seems like I'm not alone. More fishing for controversy and clicks.

I have heard it in reference to Retards and Rated R films. Anyone who immediately assumes that this is racist is probably the one who needs to look in the mirror the most and make some serious life changes.

Mooreberg

They changed it to Crime. Now it's Crime R. lol
V8RuAy5.jpeg

😂
I have heard it in reference to Retards and Rated R films. Anyone who immediately assumes that this is racist is probably the one who needs to look in the mirror the most and make some serious life changes.

Yeah that is precisely where I have heard it being used in a deliberately demeaning context. This is just... Lol
The asylum inmates are awaiting their narrative from their PR firm at Kotaku before writing their staff announcement.

Indeed. 👍

T-0800

I actually don't understand why the word retarded is offensive when no one refers to someone with a metal disability as retarded.

Top Bottom