• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
Sony's hush hush attitude regarding The Last Guardian has been pitiful. The fact that development has been so secretive or nothing has been said of great detail about what has actually happened to the PS3 version makes no sense.

strafer

No, do you know who we really need?

170493-4858acdbb8ontage.jpg

Whatever happened to Butler. He just disappeared.

Renekton

Sony's hush hush attitude regarding The Last Guardian has been pitiful. The fact that development has been so secretive or nothing has been said of great detail about what has actually happened to the PS3 version makes no sense.
So... not having leaks is pitiful?

I know. Stuck in my head when I heard it and mentally stored it incase the game was announced.

For the new page:

For some extra sauce, listen to the latest Podcast Beyond, start at 50 mins 30 seconds.

We hear this:

Podcast Beyond said:
Colin: Why would Shuhei and those guys, Scott Rhode and those guys say it was in development when it wasn't?

Greg: Because Rhode is a liar

Seems funny now. He did say it as a joke so don't burn him at the stake.

I think it is obvious when you look at a game like watchdogs. The move from PS3 to PS4 has been a rough one but progress is being made. I do believe that when Sony is ready to show footage and talk about it they will.

What are people actually excited for about this game? I mean, eight years, no gameplay footage? Barely any indication what the game is about?

MormaPope

Banned
So... not having leaks is pitiful?

No, having nothing to show or tell for a game that could've leaped from one generation from the next is pitiful. Not blaming the development team at all, I'm blaming Sony. No details on development, no details on why there were development issues, no details on if the development team has lost or gained staff, absolutely nothing.

Showing your game once years ago, then never again since and dancing around its current existence without showing it is annoying as fuck.

Yup.

Sony is treating the game like its some sort of secret, potential nuke. Instead of, you know, a game made for Ico and SotC fans.

H4r4kiri

I would laugh my ass of if Bossman is right and at the end they just destroy IGN. I hope even scott rhode says Fuck you in front of the camera :D

No, having nothing to show or tell for a game that could've leaped from one generation from the next is pitiful. Not blaming the development team at all, I'm blaming Sony. No details on development, no details on why there were development issues, no details on if the development team has lost or gained staff, absolutely nothing.
Dat entitlement.

QaaQer

they owe you this because?

mo60

BeneficialOfficialAcornwoodpecker.gif

Since this is the most active Sony thread right now, anyone want to debunk this as fake or anything?

The rumor is fake. TLG still exists in some form.

I looked at the wrong rumor. That game in the image is definitely fake.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell? I should stop sleeping, how did I miss this

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I think they know they talked about it too early originally and now they're not going to talk about it at all until it's more or less ready. They're not going to put out a 'coming in two years!' type of teaser, again. And they probably don't want to talk about the PS3 version or what happened to it, until they have something else to promote in its place.

It'll probably show up again when it's like, 6-9 months from release. And then they'll explain away the PS3 version, if the game was shifted to PS4.

But I don't blame them for not wanting to talk about it again until a release plan is basically set in stone.

MormaPope

Banned
Dat entitlement.

they owe you this because?

Dat defense force.

I frankly don't give a shit about whether or not the game exists anymore, it could be a completely different game by now. What I'm commenting on is how Sony has handled the situation regarding letting people know anything about the game.

So, from your perspective Sony has handled The Last Guardian situation correctly and smoothly? Yup, right.

Haunted

As much as I make fun of IGN usually, I also don't think that they would do a headline like this without a solid source. Yet, that official Twitter denial is pretty straightforward as well.

Here are the various scenarios as I see them.

Assuming both are correct:
  • Sony's left hand doesn't know what the right is doing (i.e. IGN tipster inside Sony had incorrect information and really thought it was cancelled) - we will see TLG at E3
  • Sony's right hand doesn't know what the left is doing (i.e IGN tipster inside Sony misled IGN on purpose to create a big surprise at the conference, but Scott Rohde didn't know) - we will see TLG at E3

Assuming IGN tipster is correct, Rohde is lying.

• Game is cancelled, Sony isn't ready to concede the fact officially and take the shame - we won't see TLG at E3.

Assuming Rohde is correct and IGN placed their faith in the wrong tipster.
  • Game was rebooted/retooled as PS4 game - we will see TLG at E3.

Despite personally thinking that the game was cancelled until today, after this little episode I'm actually inclined to believe the latter. I guess we'll only know for sure after E3. If it's not shown...

Yep.

Can someone summarize the thread for me?
1 - IGN publishes an article saying that TLG is OFFICIALLY cancelled and citing "internal sources" in the article
2 - IGN updates the title, removing the "officially" from it
3 - Scott Rohde (PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America) replies to IGN on twitter stating that TLG has NOT been cancelled.
4 - IGN waits way too long to update the article
5 - IGN updates it but not the title
6 - IGN updates the title with "TLG may be cancelled" and says that one source states that it's cancelled and "anothers" state it's not ("anothers" refers to Scott Rohde)

That's pretty much it I think.

Man, Sony needs to truly come with it this E3, point blank. Cancelled projects at SSM, high profile departures at Naughty Dog, No triple exclusives for this fall except for a game that was supposed to launch with the ps4, and now these rumors about a TLG cancelation. Sony's silence either means they're ready to follow their historic e3 last year, or they really don't have much of anything ready and are about to start a decline to which will affect an opposite trend. 24+ hours till e3,time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom