• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe the boss of PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America or a russian guy who nobody know ?

What a difficult question to answer....

Sid

No offense, but I, a very reputable source who is way better, smarter, handsomer, and less fat than IGN, says it is cancelled and everyone is like STOP TROLLING Y2KEV. IGN says it and there's a thread.

You people sometimes. Really. Oh look, Sony said it isn't. Can't wait for you to see NOTHING ABOUT IT tomorrow night. bububu TGS.
It's bububu Gamescom first.

RexNovis

Banned
What a weird situation. Why would IGN put up such a confident tweet ("officially cancelled") if they weren't sure about this?

This is exactly the question people should be asking. It's basically credibility seppuku. One would assume a site as big and well known as IGN would verify their info and sources prior to posting a story like this. What's especially concerning us that they described it as "official." In reality, it would only be official if Sony publicly stayed such. A rumor is never and will never be official. I foresee a lot of people dismissing them from here on out. Their credibility just flew out the damn window.

That all being said I'm happy the story was wrong. I love all the team Ico games and have been looking forward to this one for what seems like ages. Can't wait to get my hands on it. What's the consensus on the chances of a teaser or reveal at E3 this year?

Petrae

Yet, somehow IGN gets your vote?

Why would I believe Sony? Because they said so? After multiple rumors from different sources (both in the past and currently), Sony has only used words and not actions to counter them.

Maybe it's cancelled, maybe it isn't, but as time has gone on and we've seen next to nothing about this game but the circle of rumors and denials, I get to a point where I tend to think the rumors bear out.

Key2001

Sony just denied it themselves last night. Chances are those Russian sources are fake.

They are both journalist for Gmbox (have no idea how reputable they are) but going off a google translation of the article at Gmbox they haven't said a word of the cancellation to their employee, Gmbox.

Here is the article: http://gmbox.ru/news/zhurnalisty-uznali-ob-otmene-last-guardian

It appears whoever wrote it is going completely off the two tweets and hasn't received any information such as who the source is.

Please cancel it so they can make a new game from scratch. At least then we'll have something in 3 years. Instead of waiting for more delays.

The technical issues Shu was talking about are probably porting or optimization issues because he also said that it didn't went to PS4.
Ueda said in December 2013 that his part is done and the rest is beyond his control.

Release: November 2014

Believe!

StuBurns

Banned
Please cancel it so they can make a new game from scratch. At least then we'll have something in 3 years. Instead of waiting for more delays.
Huh? They couldn't finish this game in eight years, what makes you think if it was canceled, Team ICO could make a new game from scratch in three years?

Regardless of what happens with TLG, Team ICO aren't ever making another AAA game.

Why would I believe Sony? Because they said so? After multiple rumors from different sources (both in the past and currently), Sony has only used words and not actions to counter them.

Maybe it's cancelled, maybe it isn't, but as time has gone on and we've seen next to nothing about this game but the circle of rumors and denials, I get to a point where I tend to think the rumors bear out.
But why would you believe an anonymous source that supposedly told IGN Russia? I'm not asking you to believe Sony but I can't understand why you feel IGN would have more credibility.

Slowdive

Banned

I'd rather believe the company making the game then some anonymous sources from Russia. If it was cancelled Rohdes wouldn't have said anything.

Nestunt

Huh? They couldn't finish this game in eight years, what makes you think if it was canceled, Team ICO could make a new game from scratch in three years?

Regardless of what happens with TLG, Team ICO aren't ever making another AAA game.

Wouldnt it be weird if TLG after all this development hell was released as a small "indie-like" game, just to cut even more losses of a bigger delay

Shin-Ra

Why wouldn't you believe IGN?

Destin Legarie said:
I think you need a TV that is larger than 27 inches to even take advantage of 1080
Ryan McCaffrey said:
Oh, more than that.
Mitch Dyer said:
The naked eye can not perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches
Ryan McCaffrey said:
Exactly - That's what I heard. That's my understanding as well.
Destin Legarie said:
So it doesn't even matter because your TV can't even handle it.

televator

If it was cancelled, they would have told us by now. Companies can't lie to potential customers, it's illegal. Either the game is still in development or it's been shelved, which a cancellation wrapped in PR speak.

You think a corporation wouldn't do that? Just decide to do illegal things.

130.gif

Bikola

but I can't understand why you feel IGN would have more credibility.

I feel the same. I just don't understand how someone who works at the top level of PlayStation, whos responsibility is to handle the development of games is not as credible as the IGN source. I mean c'mon their source has to be Kaz himself.

gogogow

They couldn't finish a game in a reasonable amount of time, because it's just too ambitious for their relatively small team. If they make smaller digital download only games, I think 3 years should be more than enough.

It's funny though, SCEJ's output is pretty pathetic. They actually needs to release way more games, but instead Team ICO wasted an entire generation and haven't released one original game. Pretty sure with Ueda gone, Team Ico will be disbanded, once TLG ships (or cancelled).

Corto

Wouldnt it be weird if TLG after all this development hell was released as a small "indie-like" game, just to cut even more losses of a bigger delay

They've done it already with Rain. iirc that game was released from a TLG prototype thing.

Don't forget Sony never even wanted to reveal the game's existence. Someone forced their hand by leaking the internal video. It's very possible if that hadn't happened, the game would be out by now, because customers wouldn't have any expectations based on a very early prototype or obviously non-gameplay story sequences so they could change the entire look and stuff without causing a backlash. Or it would have been canceled long ago and another game started (and released). Heck, maybe that internal video held spoilers to the game's end sequences and they decided to come up with a new story.

Salex_

What a strange thread to wake up to. Okay, let me get this straight.

1. Some random Russian journalists said TLG was canceled.

2. Sony and Scott said it's not true less than 24 hours before E3.

3. People think they're lying and they're believing the Russian rumor.

Huh?

zeopower6

Ueda has said his creative work on TLG has ended.

I'd assume he would still be overseeing the project. Unless somehow after completing his 'creative work', he no longer has any input on the game...?

They've done it already with Rain. iirc that game was released from a TLG prototype thing.

I only know of rain as a PlayStation CAMP developed game a la Tokyo Jungle. I remember it was a florist or something that has the idea...?

What would they gain by blatantly lying to our faces?? Seriously do you think they're stupid or what? If the game was cancelled, they'd either just shut up untill after E3, or prepare an announcement, but they sure as hell wouldn't deny it in such a way.

Remember what yosp tweeted before E3 last year: "DRM is coming to Vita"? If they had DRM in place, that would've been seen as extremely arrogant and naive in hindsight, but we all know how that ended.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly i wouldn't be sad if true, i think that these kind of ultradelayed overhyped games only disappoint and damage the industry.

Rockstar in the meantime made GTA4, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption and many others, Bethesda made Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3, i can go on with the examples, many developers made lots of huge long open world AAA games with lots of acting and Team Ico in an entire generation was not even able to do a single linear game that lasts few hour?

Final Fantasy XV is still far away but at least Square Enix made a lot of shit in the meantime.

StuBurns

Banned
Don't forget Sony never even wanted to reveal the game's existence. Someone forced their hand by leaking the internal video. It's very possible if that hadn't happened, the game would be out by now, because customers wouldn't have any expectations based on a very early prototype or obviously non-gameplay story sequences so they could change the entire look and stuff without causing a backlash. Or it would have been canceled long ago and another game started (and released). Heck, maybe that internal video held spoilers to the game's end sequences and they decided to come up with a new story.
I don't think that's true at all. Sony would have announced it anyway I imagine. Just as they would have announced Beast Souls even without the leak.

Petrae

But why would you believe an anonymous source that supposedly told IGN Russia? I'm not asking you to believe Sony but I can't understand why you feel IGN would have more credibility.

Fair question. It's not that I really believe IGN, either-- I've felt for some time that The Last Guardian was never coming. The Russian rumor really didn't affect my thinking, because I was already thinking it in my head.

Should IGN have run with this rumor? Probably not as it did. Do I think the rumor verifies? I see the chances as pretty equal that it does or doesn't, and Sony's denials don't sway me much on this.

When/if Sony shows something concrete-- at E3, TGS, or independently-- that's when I'll believe the rumors were false. I know it's contrary to how rumors are supposed to work, but the denials have just become noise at this point.

What a strange thread to wake up to. Okay, let me get this straight.

1. Some random Russian journalists said TLG was canceled.

2. Sony and Scott said it's not true less than 24 hours before E3.

3. People think they're lying and they're believing the Russian rumor.

Huh?
Not quite, I think step 3 was everyone calling out IGN. Your step 3 should be step 4.

gogogow

Honestly i wouldn't be sad if true, i think that these kind of ultradelayed overhyped games only disappoint and damage the industry.

Rockstar in the meantime made GTA4, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption and many others, Bethesda made Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3, i can go on with the examples, many developers made lots of huge long open world AAA games with lots of acting and Team Ico in an entire generation was not even able to do a single linear game that lasts few hour?

Final Fantasy XV is still far away but at least Square Enix made a lot of shit in the meantime.
While yes, Team Ico wasted close to a decade on developing TLG, but come on, you are either comparing huge game devs or even entire companies to a small internal Sony team.

jakncoke

Banned
If does indeed become cancelled. The entire gen and things completed in the last 10 years for Team Ico would have been a HD package of ICO and SOTC, Entire gen basically down the toilet from the team. I mean even if it does releases at some point, is there even a chance they come close to recouping the money laid in the project?

I'd assume he would still be overseeing the project. Unless somehow after completing his 'creative work', he no longer has any input on the game...?

I only know of rain as a PlayStation CAMP developed game a la Tokyo Jungle. I remember it was a florist or something that has the idea...?

Yes he is still overlooking the project.

If it was cancelled, they would have told us by now. Companies can't lie to potential customers, it's illegal. Either the game is still in development or it's been shelved, which a cancellation wrapped in PR speak.
Um, companies lie all the time, there is no law against it. There are only a couple situations they aren't allowed to lie: false advertising (a tweet or interview is not advertising), talking directly to their investors, or things like food labels. Nintendo is a big example of a company that frequently denies something, or even announces they would never do something, only to announce its existence a few months later.

Holy fuck why is this an 87 page thread (that apparently happened overnight)?

For a game that we basically know pill about, based off of a Russian rumor that already had a thread, just with the extra bullshit of IGN's involvement?

Besides it's all a wash anyways because the second Y2Kev said it was cancelled I believed him. I'm pretty certain he's the real insider! SPILL YOUR SECRETS

StuBurns

Banned
If does indeed become cancelled. The entire gen and things completed in the last 10 years for Team Ico would have been a HD package of ICO and SOTC, Entire gen basically down the toilet from the team. I mean even if it does releases at some point, is there even a chance they come close to recouping the money laid in the project?
They were always a small team, and some of them have been on Gravity Rush, Puppeteer and Knack over the last few years, and the Ico/SotC Collection sold fairly well, that'll offset most of it. It probably only needs to sell moderately to be in the black, even after this long.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Actually I can believe both of them. The russian source believes the game to be effectively canceled. Sony can use "not canceled" in the same spot somebody else would use "on indefinite hiatus".

I don't actually believe that to be the case but I could believe it.

Why wouldn't you believe IGN?

If i remember correctly, is Ryan the one who didnt realise only Gold members could play online on 360 and when told silver members couldnt he praised them for being good business men?

Its so strange how much IGN's talent varies, i started watching Podcast Beyond a while back and at first i didnt like Colin (seemed miserable) but since then he has shown he actually is very well informed and his opinions tie with a lot of the well informed people you get on Gaf. Gregg is also very good with his knowledge (not as much as Colin i would say) but the guys they have on that show overall are really good and know their stuff.

Yet you get some of their other staff acting like youtube posters following the most baseless rumours, not being able to look at the big picture, agreeing with DRM gate, dismissing peoples ability to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on anything less then a 50" TV etc.

I hate saying it but sometimes it really seems like the Xbox people on IGN (From my experience) have no clue when it comes to certain aspects of the business or are easily dragged into the PR machine.

Hoje0308

Banned

Seriously, do you actually believe your own bullshit? Go to bed.

Shahed

I was half awake around 7am, saw the thread, and decided that i wanted to pretend it was a nightmare and went back to sleep! Caught up on the thread and was so relieved to see the update with Rhode's tweet. As long as it gets done, I'll wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom