• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Legend of Zelda games

ALTTP isn't even the best 2D Zelda. Very dull world and barely any memorable NPCs or races. Zelda has moved past that in general. It was fantastic for its time but LA is superior in most ways and so are the Oracle games. It is still superior to ALBW though.

OoT and MM are the best Zelda has to offer.

Anyone who puts wind waker in their top 3 of best Zelda games must have some interesting ideas of what makes a good Zelda game.

Raitaro

It always addens me a bit when I realize that the 2D Zelda and 3D Zelda game often considered as being the best were only the second and first game in that style respectively (considering that Zelda 2 is very different style of 2D game).

I'm not even disagreeing per se, but I can't help but marvel that Nintendo seemingly was able to perfect both formulas, i.e. top down 2D and semi-open world 3D, so early in this series' lifespan and that none of the later sequels are managing to live up let alone surpass these early titles.

This type of slanted perception towards older iterations happens with other long running series as well of course, like Mario or Sonic, or even with movies and any other media, but still, what a bummer it must be for the devs that worked on so many of these difficult to develop and time consuming games to never again be able to make a game that is as universally loved by all fans as some of the earliest titles are. Maybe going for a completely new direction with Breath of the Wild is smart for that reason alone, i.e. to have a mostly clean break with past conventions and people's perceptions?

Just some early morning thoughts I guess, while my baby takes her nap.

I said "nope" out loud as soon as I saw A Link Between Worlds placement(should be top 3). Also Wind Waker over Majora ? Can't agree with this list.

Personal view: While A Link to the past is a brilliant game, I wouldnt put it above A Link between Worlds, Sure ALBW lends a lot of stuff from ALttP yet it is the better game if you ask me. Twillight Princess should be higher up closer to Wind Waker if you ask me. Wind Waker is a good game, shook things up graphically but the "map" was blend and boring...Twillight Princess only suffers with some repitive playstyles yet its as good as The Wind Waker atleast... Ocarina of Time should always Top the list, since its the best 3D game of all time...

stoff

I don't regard ALttP that highly at all anymore. ALBW does everything ALttP did better. Sure it was the first one, but so what. If people were to start with Zelda nowadays, I'd never recommend ALttP over ALBW.

I don't regard ALttP that highly at all anymore. ALBW does everything ALttP did better. Sure it was the first one, but so what. If people were to start with Zelda nowadays, I'd never recommend ALttP over ALBW.
The dungeons are easily superior in ALTTP. Also the way it deals with items, dungeon exploration and story. ALBW's flow is really off, and free item mechanic neutralises the challenge factor, while ALTTP has a wonderful difficulty curve, I also prefer the way it handles the way you move around both world(s) but both games do that well.

AniHawk

1. twilight princess
2. link's awakening
3. the minish cap
4. oracle of ages
5. ocarina of time
6. a link between worlds
7. majora's mask
8. the legend of zelda
9. spirit tracks
10. skyward sword

i was trying to see if i could make a top 10 without a link to the past, and i did!

only played it once and it didn't really stick with me. it's just kind of boring. beating the legend of zelda when i was 12 was a helluva lot of fun though. good challenge and not too out of date in 1997.

Same top 3 that I've except I'd put Ocarina as #1. I'd also rank Link Between Worlds couple of places higher. I find it one of most enjoyable games in the series with a great replay value.

Whaleman

Neo Member
Almost every time one of these lists comes up Skyward Sword is in there. I am pleasantly surprised to see it not in this one. I never understood why people like Skyward Sword. I have played through every Zelda game (except CDI but who counts those) and while I have enjoyed some more than others Skyward Sword was the first I ever truly disliked.
I found the items in the game to be fairly boring and while the flight mechanic awful (both in control and how boring flying was), the areas were neat... the first time you visited them and the dungeons just kind of felt okay to me. There were other things that I disliked like the controls (which some people swear were amazing and I wonder what their setup was to get it to be that way) and perhaps the most blasphemous of all Groose, I hate that guy. I would love to hear from others why they like that game so much.

ALttP is literally the template for the entire franchise. There's nothing overrated about it. If anything the rest of the series is derivative when compared to ALttP.

LA is better paced with even better item application. One of LttP's flaws was most of the items were one-offs in terms of usefulness.

OOT >>>>Lttp is still a debate?

I thought it was common knowledge. Besides nostalgia, what's special about lttp? I played both when they came out.

OoT falls so far behind LttP and especially LA in terms of pacing it's not even funny.

People not putting the original Legend of Zelda in the top 3 are not gamers.

Maybe not even people.

The 4-directional controls were a deal breaker.

Worst controls.

Only sin was limited buttons for amount of commands. That aside, the control mechanics felt quicker than LttP.

Zelda 1 had worse controls. (See above.)

Ocarina, A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess are the definitive top 3, in that order.

After that the series goes from flawed to bad on a sliding scale.

That's totally nuts.

Surprised, and impressed, by the Zelda II support in here.

Moff

I just don't love ALTTP, maybe it's because I did not play it at release, but I think LA and ALBW are both far more exceptional games

Peltz

Anyone who puts wind waker in their top 3 of best Zelda games must have some interesting ideas of what makes a good Zelda game.

It's the most charming and heartwarming game of the series. Those NPCs are pretty cool too. Don't hate...

WWDance.gif

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Almost every time one of these lists comes up Skyward Sword is in there. I am pleasantly surprised to see it not in this one. I never understood why people like Skyward Sword.
I cannot speak for others, but the reason I regard Skyward Sword so highly is:
- Finally, the overworld is not a bunch of space anymore, but filled with meaningful content and puzzles. I particularly love how each area is a giant environmental puzzle
- The density and versatility of the world design is outstanding
- Revisiting the areas particularly highlights the design genius as the developers, even though the game is really densely designed on the first go, offer a completely new experience the second time you go there - I want to especially highlight the volcano area and its second go-through when you lose your items close to the end
- The dungeon design is varied and full of nice ideas
- The motion controls hit the right mid-point between freedom and precision with its gesture based selection of several different strikes

There are a few things I did not like, namely the introduction of weapon upgrading and of a stamina meter, and of course, those are the things the developers keep for the sequel, while celebrating pockets of emptiness (as if Wind Waker wasn't empty enough for at least two decades).

maxcriden

I cannot speak for others, but the reason I regard Skyward Sword so highly is:
- Finally, the overworld is not a bunch of space anymore, but filled with meaningful content and puzzles. I particularly love how each area is a giant environmental puzzle
- The density and versatility of the world design is outstanding
- Revisiting the areas particularly highlights the design genius as the developers, even though the game is really densely designed on the first go, offer a completely new experience the second time you go there - I want to especially highlight the volcano area and its second go-through when you lose your items close to the end
- The dungeon design is varied and full of nice ideas
- The motion controls hit the right mid-point between freedom and precision with its gesture based selection of several different strikes

There are a few things I did not like, namely the introduction of weapon upgrading and of a stamina meter, and of course, those are the things the developers keep for the sequel, while celebrating pockets of emptiness (as if Wind Waker wasn't empty enough for at least two decades).

What I was especially surprised to read about TWW is that the space between islands can actually differ from the map due to load times? Something to that effect. All the more reason to use the swift sail ASAP in the HD version. (I mean, I assume. I haven't played HD yet. I wonder if that loading/map distance discrepancy is gone from that version.)

Anyway, you hit on much of what I adore about Skyward Sword, but I also want to link to my LTTP for the game here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894926

I guess I'll quote the very end of it because it details several of the little things in the game that resonated with me:

I'm sure there are other things I could still talk about. The epic dungeons, which I barely touched upon, from the brilliant Timeshift Stone mechanics in the Lanayru Mining Facility to the Buddhist minimalism of the Ancient Cistern, to the modular brilliance of Sky Keep. The OST, which was Zelda music at its classic, sweeping best. The various collectable bugs and treasure with their subtle interactions with the environment (I had to look up in the guide to find out I could collect bird feathers and bees!), the delight of catching a string of Tadtones successfully, and the satisfying click of correctly deciphering the placement of a thematic Boss Key, be it an Ancient Circuit or a Blessed Idol. For now, though, I'll just leave it at this: this is a great Zelda game, and I loved every minute of it.

ETA: also, one of my favorite all-time Zelda characters:

scrapper+e+fi+skyward+sword+nintendo+blast.gif

Neff

10. Minish Cap
9. The Legend of Zelda
8. Adventure of Link
7. Wind Waker
6. Link Between Worlds
5. Ocarina of Time
4. Twilight Princess
3. Skyward Sword
2. Link's Awakening
1. A Link to the Past

Lachie007

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. Wind waker is a great game but it's not a top 3 zelda game. Also twilight princess is here but skyward sword isn't, what a joke at least ss tried done new things

The true list:

1. Legend of Zelda
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link to the Past
4. Majora's Mask
5. Twilight Princess
6. Link Between Worlds
7. Link's Awakening
8. Skyward Sword
9. Minish Cap
10. Spirit Tracks

Top Bottom