• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Emitan

Xplatformer said:
Does the PSP have a touch screen interface similar to the iPod Touch?

Seriously folks. As I've said before, the competition for the Vita is going to come from the iPod Touch more than anything. Disagree all you want.

$250 didn't stop the Ipod Touch from selling.
so you're saying a dedicated gaming device isn't competing against another dedicated gaming device and is instead competing with ipods? ok.

cars are competing with blenders.

Mrbob said:
Gaming is better off if Vita sells more. Then we have games for a platform that is not only technically superior, but also offers better game play possibilities on a much stronger network backbone. Best of all worlds. I still don't think the Vita will outsell the 3DS though.

You can say they said the same thing with the PSP vs DS, but this time Vita actually has a bunch of advantages over the 3DS.

I love these statements.
They're fucking hilarious.

theBishop

Banned
At least Sony is committing major development resources to launch. Nearly a year after 3DS' launch, there are still very few games worth the flash memory that stores them.

Having Uncharted on the system at launch is a big deal. And it's far from the only good game available day 1.

Takao

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
I always found it weird whenever I looked at IGN that the sony and microsoft sections were obviously ran / managed by massive Sony / Microsoft fanboys (this article coming from the Sony section is no surprise) but the Nintendo section of IGN seemed to actively hate Nintendo.

well 9/10 nintendo fans are masochists hence them being nintendo fans

theBishop said:
At least Sony is committing major development resources to launch. Nearly a year after 3DS' launch, there are still very few games worth the flash memory that stores them.

Having Uncharted on the system at launch is a big deal. And it's far from the only good game available day 1.

Breaking news: 7 months = Nearly a Year

Also breaking: Uncharted = System seller

[Nintex]

I really like the last bit:
Should Sony feel threatened by its competition? Sure. But Nintendo is the least of Sony's concerns these days. The boys in Cupertino probably have tricks up their sleeves that could make Vita look much less appealing, however. But until we see what that is, I implore you not to sleep on the PlayStation Vita's potential. The dedicated gaming handheld will die sometime in the future. But, as much as Nintendo is trying to prove otherwise, the future isn't here yet.

What wat wut wot

And yes I'm sure the boys at Cupertino give a rats ass about a company they thermonuked years ago.

Billychu said:
so you're saying a dedicated gaming device isn't competing against another dedicated gaming device and is instead competing with ipods? ok.

cars are competing with blenders.

So, you're saying the ipod Touch's main market is for people that want to play music? I'd say you're wrong.

People buy an ipod touch for the applications they can run on it. If they wanted an iPod they'd get the original, or the nano.

Who would pay $250 for an 8GB music playing device?

Link Man

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Actually there have been many polls/survey's in Japan where it consistently comes out as the most anticipated item over the 3DS and other competition in general. Japan definitely wants it and I think it'll be big there, it remains to be seen the rest of the world though.
But doesn't it seem obvious that something that is yet to release is more appealing than something that's been on the market for almost a year? This time next year, it will be the games that make the difference.

Sianos

You hear about the new Sega Genesis? It's so rad and is gonna kick that kiddy Super Nintendo's ass!

Journalism. Journalism never changes.

idk, from all the news available, it does seem 3ds is getting more stuff I'd enjoy.

I'll still probably pick up a vita someday.

Hopefully version 2 has video out capabilities....

Mrbob

AceBandage said:
I love these statements.
They're fucking hilarious.

The truth hurt? Sorry if your mad the mighty Nintendo released an inferior device this time on multiple fronts (which I own), but they did.

Big One

Banned
Xplatformer said:
$250 didn't stop the Ipod Touch from selling.
That's because the iPod Touch isn't a gaming device, it can efficiently do other things that smartphones and portable tablets cannot do on the market. Vita is a gaming device that will feature some of the things an iPod Touch can do, but won't be as efficient or wanted by people for those reasons alone. People will buy a Vita to play games, ultimately, not to browse the internet (which will probably suck considering the browsers on PS3 and PSP suck balls).

Emitan

Xplatformer said:
So, you're saying the ipod Touch's main market is for people that want to play music? I'd say you're wrong.

People buy an ipod touch for the applications they can run on it. If they wanted an iPod they'd get the original, or the nano.

Who would pay $250 for an 8GB music playing device?
No one is buying an iPod as a gaming device. They're buying it as a device that can play games in addition to other things. People are going to buy a Vita to play games. They're different markets.

Mrbob said:
The truth hurt? Sorry if your mad the mighty Nintendo released an inferior device this time on multiple fronts (which I own), but they did.

My god. It is literally like you are channeling 2005 in your posts.

I'm sorry, but console x outselling console y doesn't help gaming.

Only good games being released helps the industry, and there's nothing about the 3DS that stops games from being good.

scitek

hatchx said:
In my opinion the Ps3 should be the top seller. Amazing exclusives, great PSN downloads, free online play with a lot of bells and whistles, a chargeable controller, and a ton of options for music, movies, and media. It's also a a blu-ray player! It really is the best system out there.

What happened?

A really poor first two years happened. Mediocre library, bad ports of 360 games, consumers staying away from Blu-ray due to it being in a war with HD DVD, and a $499 price tag.

dallow_bg said:
As much as IGN is dumb, it was worth more 3DS championing from AceBandage.

Derp.

Instead of simply bashing my posts, refute them. How about that.
Shadow of the BEAST said:
its a gamecube/ps2 level hardware.

vita is atleast comparable to xbox 360 or ps3.

Debatable, and regardless, you're comparing mobile tech to desktop tech.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS.

....are we absolutely sure this isn't from 2004?

Sianos

I hope it does well in japan.

I dont want to se the entire japanese games industry held back by 10 year old technology.
That's a really impressive N64 you got- wait no we aren't at that part yet.

Why can't we all be frieeeeeends and coexist? The best thing for the industry is to have multiple platforms geared to different things.

Mrbob

AceBandage said:
My god. It is literally like you are channeling 2005 in your posts.

I'm sorry, but console x outselling console y doesn't help gaming.

Only good games being released helps the industry, and there's nothing about the 3DS that stops games from being good.

Yes there is. For one you need to buy a boat accessory to properly play 3D games. Secondly the touch screen isn't truly capable of multi touch. The 3D view screen is so small and hurts performance at times it isn't even worth keeping on.

You're right about one thing. The 3DS will probably become popular and have decent games despite the mistakes Nintendo made. Why I own one.

My argument is more along the lines of name me a game that would be better off being on the 3DS versus the Vita.

Shadow780

Succeed or not, Vita will always be happy.

ZsCIu.jpg

Wiseblade

dallow_bg said:
As much as IGN is dumb, it was worth more 3DS championing from AceBandage.
He's absolutely right though. People are behaving like Nintendo is actively trying to kill the industry and ignoring all logic.

AceBandage said:
Derp.

Instead of simply bashing my posts, refute them. How about that.

Debatable, and regardless, you're comparing mobile tech to desktop tech.

nah its not dbatable. Vita is comparable to current gen hardware and 3ds last gen.

It does not matter if its mobile or not.

Mrbob said:
Yes there is. For one you need to buy a boat accessory to properly play 3D games. Secondly the touch screen isn't truly capable of multi touch. The 3D view screen is so small and hurts performance at times it isn't even worth keeping on.

You're right about one thing. The 3DS will probably become popular and have decent games despite the mistakes Nintendo made. Why I own one.

The accessory is completely optional, like pretty much all accessories. The 3D screen is the perfect size (and the only one avaliable at the time) and works just fine.

nah its not dbatable. Vita is comparable to current gen hardware and 3ds last gen.

It does not matter if its mobile or not.

It's completely debatable. It's in the same class of the PS3/360 in the same way the iPad is.

IE: It can run some of the engines, but not nearly as well.

And of course it matters, mobile tech has been making huge leaps lately.

Top Bottom