• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'll just outright say it, Nioh is a fucking slog of a game

GHG

So even after all those acknowledged problems... after dozens over hours of the same thing, over and over again, the combat is just THAT good to make it all worth it?

nah bruh...

Yes Bruh.

Most games have problems, it depends on how much importance you give to those problems as an individual. I found the gameplay in Nioh to be so captivating that little else mattered to be honest.

- Some said bosses have such HILARIOUS auto-tracking that a speed build/L-Armor build becomes folly
Not really. Beating the game with light armor is entirely fair and reasonable save for 2 gimmick bosses, and that's without utilizing items that are often comically overpowered, nor Living Weapon.

The re-used levels complaint is also kind of moot; it's absolutely true there's some rampant location recycling going on, but the vast majority of it almost exclusively takes place in the optional side-missions rather than the story-progressing ones. Could've ignored them just fine if it got on your nerves that badly.

emag

I agree with some of what the OP says -- certainly there's a lot of repetition of levels and enemies, particularly in the optional side-missions, and the game throws plenty of easily sortable/saleable loot your way (is that a bad thing?) -- but those in this thread saying the Souls/BB games are better (whether in terms of combat, visuals, level design, encounters, or just about anything except the literal number of different enemies/areas or PvP preference) are delusional.

Ferr986

I found most of the bosses on the easier side (a couple of them were really hard though, like Onna). Mainly because the game was pretty unbalanced. And I'm not talking about sloth talisman. Once you got the back damage increase it was pretty much game over (maybe it was fixed).

Other than that, yeah I agree with your points. The game is REALLY bloated and reuses enemies and level assets too much, and the level design wasn't stellar. Gameplay was really good and at the end I enjoyed the game even with those issues, so a Nioh2 with bigger budget could be something special.

Not really. Beating the game with light armor is entirely fair and reasonable save for 2 gimmick bosses, and that's without utilizing items that are often comically overpowered, nor Living Weapon.

The re-used levels complaint is also kind of moot; it's absolutely true there's some rampant location recycling going on, but the vast majority of it almost exclusively takes place in the optional side-missions rather than the story-progressing ones. Could've ignored them just fine if it got on your nerves that badly.

I don't think he's talking just about repeating levels for side missions, but even the main story ones have a lot of reussed art and assets and general tone.

AzureFlame

This game was all about gameplay for me, so the longer the better, it's real problem to me is the lack of enemies variety.

Zemm

Slog is the perfect word for that game. Bloated is another. The game could and should have been half the length and it would have been much better. I've not played a more repetitive game in years. By world 4 I was done with it.

You're right, it's my fault for partaking in an aspect of the game that I should outright ignore... It's almost as if, I don't know, maybe it shouldn't been in the game then?

LAM09

Enemy variation is its biggest flaw and has been mentioned plenty of times in the OT. The game should have probably been a region or two IMO.

The fact that even the DLC didn't freshen much in that department is very disappointing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I enjoyed it for over 30 hours but fizzled in World 4 for many of the reasons in the OP.

Bosses remained exciting up to that point, and some levels were still intricate, but the opposition grew tired by hour 10 for me with stagnant patterns and tricks in more scenarios than not. After I tripled that playtime, I wanted out.

Still enjoyed the core combat and few surprises enough that one day I'll revisit and complete the game, but a long extended break was needed for me.

I just skipped most side missions and the story. I think it's the best way to play it that way!

Nioh combat wrapped in Dark Souls shell would be amazing!!!

Holy shit, just skip them. They're entirely optional.

That's not an excuse for what's in the damn game tho!

Whether they were in there or not, even the Story missions suffer from repetition

It's a fundamental problem with the game as a whole. Throwing the solution of "nah, avoid the side-missions" shouldn't be the answer.
If the content fucking sucks, it's sucks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've had the game since launch and still havent gone through it for these very reasons. I want to play it but Im not compelled to sink 50-80 hours into it just yet when I can knock out <20 hour games from my backlog instead.

Kysen

The loot system dragged the game down a lot imo. Once I realised that it wasn't like souls where you would find a specific weapon at place X every time I just started ignoring all the diverging paths and ran to the bosses. Having unique weapons/items placed in the world is what made exploration fun for me. Without this you're basically running rifts from D3.

The amount of grinding near the end just to be able to do the side missions is extreme.

Nose Master

All valid concerns, but they didn't bother me as much. The mandatory side quests are the only bits that are truly obnoxious.

Also light armor is extremely doable. Not sure where auto tracking comes from besides projectiles that obviously track.

You think those no hit titles are for people wearing heavy?

Yeah the enemy and area variation was rather limited, but I had so much fun with the actual gameplay that it didn't really bother me. Ended up platinum-ing it too.

Not a game I would quickly replay, though.

silva1991

Probably the most repetitive game I played this gen for one playthrough.

Game could have been the GOAT if it was a 15 hours character action game with no constant armor/weapons loot and upgrades and grinding.

I don't want to play it ever again despite the god-tier combat.

?

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne don't fall apart in the second half. Granted, I outright avoided the Chalice Dungeons once I realized what they were.

BB is quality in the base game all the way through. Only mediocre area is the the optional nightmare(frontier I think)

Dungeons are hardly part of the base game. It's like one of those modes that players usually choose from the start screen.

Strings

Completely agree. Game is pretty good, but sooooo repetitive. Environments, enemies, boss encounters are all so samey.

What's worse is that the devs added a random bronze trophy for completing every single mission across all 3 difficulty settings with the first DLC... Like what the fuck.

Roufianos

Yea, I completely agree. I loved the game but it's just way too repetitive and bloated.

I played it for about 30 hours and was starting to get bored so ended up quitting. I'm not annoyed though, I still feel like I got more than my money's worth and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

You're right, it's my fault for partaking in an aspect of the game that I should outright ignore... It's almost as if, I don't know, maybe it shouldn't been in the game then?
Well, yes. You were aware said mission recycling pissed you off (for good reason) and yet you continued until now even though they did not impede progress. You're not wrong that they should've been made more interesting better or cut entirely, but what was the reason to begrudgingly complete them then anyways?

Jingo

I understand some complains, like menu management and history sucking, but the gameplay its exceptional, i played dark souls 3 dlc Fter this and it was a complete disappointment, cant wait for the next nioh dlc.

But you were unable to do the same in Nioh and skip optional content you don't like because?

Maybe I realized in a bit too late with Nioh but it also had immediate rewards the game told you that you would receive when you completed said missions, whether it was smithing texts, armor, etc.

bigjig

One point to clarify, the suggested level is the suggested equipment level, not character level. You don't need to be grinding sub missions to finish the game. Heck I think my characters level was around 40 levels below the suggested one by the last stage.

xuchu

I admit I've not played Nioh yet, but it seems that this sentiment has been appearing more and more of late, I've seen quite a number on gaf now who have given up on it some time in to it.

Mostly comes down to people expecting souls (certainly has its inspirations though) when Nioh is far more a mix Onimusha and diablo with destiny repeatable mission structure.

So its no surprise that who don't like diablo loot will probably not like Nioh.

Zafir

I still enjoyed the game, but It's definitely longer than it should have been, yeah.

I think part of the issue is the side quests, the side quests have some of the most challenging content, but it also has some of the most monotonous, so if you do them you can get burned out even quicker on the game.

Since I played the game on release I wasn't anticipating it getting so boring with the encounters, I expected it to mix it up more, so I started out doing the side quests as well. By the latter half of the game I'd given up doing the side content due to the repetitiveness. Sadly it was a little too late. =/

One point to clarify, the suggested level is the suggested equipment level, not character level. You don't need to be grinding sub missions to finish the game. Heck I think my characters level was around 40 levels below the suggested one by the last stage.

Yeah, I did the final levels massively underlevelled compared to what it suggests.

laxu

Pointless Chalice dungeon filler says otherwise.

At least chalice dungeons had many unique bosses but otherwise they are a real chore to trawl thru. I did it for the Platinum trophy but never want to do it again.

I agree that Nioh has a lot of issues. Enemy variety, reuse of levels, story is not compelling and 90% of the loot is shit tier stuff. It doesn't even make sense that the same level appears again in a completely different region. Did the level designers of the game really just pack it in after the main missions were done? They could've probably spend a few months more on the game and got only unique levels, even if some of them would not have been that good.

The game had tons of potential because the combat system is really damn good. Personally I'd rather see the loot system dropped for Souls style upgradable unique weapons instead when so much of the loot is just something you sell. Here's hoping that a sequel will be made that addresses the first game's problems.

silva1991

But you were unable to do the same in Nioh and skip optional content you don't like because?

Ignoring optional missions will make you under leveled in some of the main missions.

I follow the streamer ENB(known Souls player) and he at first ignored them and one of the main missions became vastly harder than it should have for him.

gdt

I had no problems with the level reuse. Combat is the main part of the game and it was oh so incredible. Gimme more.

I'm waiting for all the dlc to release so I can go through it.

Edit: you don't need to grind. Being under leveled for the final bunch of missions is fine.

xuchu

Ignoring optional missions will make you under leveled in some of the main missions.

I follow the streamer ENB(known Souls player) and he at first ignored them and one of the main missions became vastly harder than it should have for him.

I follow him too. It's cos he didn't have a grip with the combat and he hated the loot system (level doesn't matter but gear does) and never engaged with it.

Was only when he did a level 1 run that he started having fun and now it's one of his best games of 2017. Says it's better than DS3 but I attribute that to him being burnt out from souls games.

Nioh certainly has a lot of problems but you can easily ignore all the submissions and complete the game especially if you use some the hilariously OP magic like sloth (shouldn't even be in the game).

SkylineRKR

I loved Nioh during the first few chapters and thought it was a Souls beater. But here's a little secret, I never beat it.

Why? Because I was completely burnt out. It wasn't hard (i was gimping myself, not using sloth and spears), I was in fact playing on auto pilot by the second to last chapter and one shot nearly every mission there. One day I just lost interest in fighting the same opposition on the same type of layouts yet again. The encounter design and enemy variety is awful. Story and cutscenes are god awful too. The gameplay is pretty much perfect. Which is why I want to see a more focused sequel.

Chalice in BB isn't needed. I beat the game when I only completed the first 2 or 3 chalice dungeons. I did the rest post-game, mostly for the trophy and prestige. There are some great bosses in there.

myco666

Yeah the game is way too long. Combat systems are great but the game doesn't really offer that much unique situations for it. Feels like you have seen everything the game has to offer in first few hours.

The difficulty is also such a mess in terms of balance. Levels themselves are very easy since you fight the same enemies over and over again but all of the bosses are just over the top hard.

Hopefully there is a sequel since the core of the game is really good.

Drewfonse

Yeah, I went from loving it to skipping the cutscenes and taking the most direct route to the end. And I summoned help, without a hint of shame, for the last 3-4 Bosses. By the end I couldn't wait for it to finish. Way too long and repetitive.

And as far as having long game goes, I sometimes like long games, but they have to earn it. Recycling levels and enemies ad nauseum doesn't cut it.

Not really that long. Maybe if you do all twilight and ng+, but clearing everything once it didn't feel like a slog. Some maps weren't good that I can agree.

- You will fight THE SAME enemies over and over and over again
that's the nature of these type of games, no? there are specific enemy types, you learn them, and you see them again. could they have included more? sure, given the length, but it feels good knowing that when you see them again you're usually in a better place to defeat them than you originally were

- But once you're done fight those enemies over and over again, you'll eventually encounter a boss that will lead to an awkward as hell difficulty spike
that's the whole purpose of bosses. none of the cannon fodder is supposed to prepare you for them, you basically have to take each boss individually for what it is

- Some said bosses have such HILARIOUS auto-tracking that a speed build/L-Armor build becomes folly
this was where we went completely opposite directions. about 2-3 hours into the game, i realized the speed/light build is 100% the best go for the entire game. regular enemies, boss fights, and dojo duels. the stamina recovery together with the speed of the dodge and focusing on not getting hit at all worked wonders for me over gearing up heavy and not really worry so much about an accidental hit. the med/heavy armor looked way cooler and i did use it when i would do random side quests just cause, but light is definitely the go to way in this game

- The Diablo loot system WILL eventually become tedious and it ultimately devalues EVERYTHING. You should not have to so much goddamn time in menus- and yes, this is even after utilizing the game's built QoL sorting/Item management flags
again, maybe I had some blessed armor that increased the rarity of my drops, but most of the gear you get from defeating bosses, mini bosses etc is well leveled. also, did you not know about soul matching? that's what you're supposed to do with your gear to level it. but most of the time the gear that drops is leveled for you, idk why you were missing said items. idk if you cleared the map or just went for the objective but a lot of hidden chests/enemies drop good gear

- The fucking reused levels.... like, I was willing to give this a pass because the core gameplay loop truly is god-like at points. Eventually tho, enough is enough. You've been thru the same graveyard, same rainy mountain pass, same village, same etc., OVER AND OVER again. It's so insultingly indulgent and rather the developers take the L and accept what they DO have is awesome, no, they have to completely spoil it in order to pad the game-length
this i agree with mostly, there were a lot of repeat maps, or giving you a different path on the same map.

NIOH DOES NOT NEED TO BE AS LONG AS IT IS.
the game definitely drug on. i believed i was at the ending at least 3 times only for another map section to open.

Wagram

I liked Nioh a lot, but I do agree at launch there was some serious overlooking of the downfalls of Nioh. The "it's better than Souls" comments made me chuckle.

What Souls game ran out of normal enemies 60% through?

120v

i normally don't comment on games i haven't played, but i will say after finishing the demo i was surprised how much unanimous praise the game ended up getting

i'll still pick it up down during a sale or something. but i figured, yeah this isn't something i'm in a rush to buy

danowat

Banned
It has a heck of a lot of bloat, a heck of a lot of filler, way too many systems and a ridiculous loot system.

That said, it's tied for my GOTY so far with Yakuza 0, and I'm not even a fan of hard games.

Izuna

Banned
You are not expected to be the same level as the mission. You will be about 300 levels behind on later difficulties. This isn't Destiny where level is weighted by a percentage.

I was too busy having a crap ton a fun I can't find in other games this generation. Besides, the Diablo loot mitigates anytime the gameplay becomes less than great.

GotG tbh

Top Bottom