• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusionstar Games on why UE4 worse than CRYENGINE;feels “cartoonish”,lacks features

Are Epic with UE4 just quiet as the new generation hasn't ramped up yet or a thing of the past as developers create their own engines and maybe using cheaper alternatives ?

Epic have that F2P game and not a peep from them. End of an era ?

Idk but aim acceleration texture pop in no vegetation or hair stutter engine can dissapear for my part
cryengine (as long as devs use their own netcode) is a lot less shitty

Why?

EA have FrostBite, Ubisoft have Anvil, Rockstar have RAGE, Bethesda have idTech, Capcom have Panta Rhei, Konami have FoxEngine, etc.

There's not going to be a 'dominant engine'.
yep and it's great
much variation in graphics, game design and engine 'look' thanks to all these proprietary engines
I'm so grateful the ue3 era is over

They can easily issue updates to remedy these issues.

I am willing to bet UE4 will be the dominant engine in the next few years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are Epic with UE4 just quiet as the new generation hasn't ramped up yet or a thing of the past as developers create their own engines and maybe using cheaper alternatives ?

Epic have that F2P game and not a peep from them. End of an era ?

You can't do cross-gen on UE4 so...

StuBurns

Banned
I am willing to bet UE4 will be the dominant engine in the next few years.
Why?

EA have FrostBite, Ubisoft have Anvil, Rockstar have RAGE, Bethesda have idTech, Capcom have Panta Rhei, Konami have FoxEngine, etc.

There's not going to be a 'dominant engine'.

drexplora

Licensing UE gives you access to the source code, so I'm sure DICE rewrote a good portion of it, especially in regards to lighting.

They've been working with Geomerics for a while now, I think they used their lighting middleware all throughout last gen.

From everything I have read and all of the media on UE4, I can kind of see where Illusionstar is coming from in regards to any "limitations".
Cryengine seems to have the better looking materials system. Also I am guessing here but going by UE3 I would say Cryengine can push more polygons also, same with physics.

But who knows, they've been strangely quiet with EU4. Last news I remember was them dropping SVOGI in favor of something less computationally expensive.

OryoN

Actually, I've always felt the same way regarding UE3 in comparison to previous versions of CE. There's just this distinct "look" about the engine that despite how good the graphics are, or the level of realism being pursued, it's never able to hide that 'gamey' cartoonish look. I can't picture Unreal Engine producing visuals similar to those seen in MGS5: Ground Zeros, for instance. It just doesn't seem to have the underlying lighting & shading techniques to mimic that look.

That said, this is the new UE4 we're talking about, so on one hand I'm surprised that this is still an issue, but on the other hand, since it's unveiling up to this point, I've seen no evidence that this matter is resolved. Even their infiltrator demo - as gorgeous an CG-like as it was - just doesn't strike me as 'photorealistic'. So I definitely understand where the developer is coming from... though, he lost me at the Cry Engine allows better story/gameplay comment. :/

drexplora

^Yeah.

The infiltrator became a bit less "HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE" when watching the 'how its made' videos by Nvidia on youtube.
That seems to be the biggest issue, infiltrator still had a flatness to it under the shiny layer.
UE3 was typically lower poly models with most of the detailed baked into texture.
It wouldn't have been so bad if the main bottleneck on consoles PS360 gen wasn't RAM.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that really true?

Epic's solution to the generation transition was to offer DX11 functionality in UE3 (note that we still have a lot of UE3 games coming out) and then offer a conversion kit that can get your project onto UE4 when you're ready to drop current-gen.

If someone wanted to try to port UE4 to PS3/360, they could, but it's not officially supported by Epic.

CamHostage

I googled Illusionstar and I still don't know who they are.
Have they actually made anything?

Nope.

From the research I've done, it looks to be one of those "hip-hop mogul" production companies that pop every once in a while in a console transition, with hands already in every other form of entertainment and thus aspirations to get into games. Vadonis Landfair is identified as the founder and was apparently a co-founder for something called Riot TV, but when I looked it up it wasn't the RiotTV I though of, instead it's something now called Riot Studio Entertainment and produces hip-hop tracks and, strangely enough, YouTube confessional videos. Riot Studio bought some company called Syfive that was going to make PS Vita games, then closed that, I don't think they made any games either (they were called "Syfive Mobile" at first but I don't see any iPhone games under that name.) I don't know if there is a way to check anymore if a company has a license to produce console product since indies are such a factor now.

I guess you never know what a small company is capable of these days, but I don't see anything in the history or current business that says Illusionstar Games is in a position to declare a winner between UE4 and CE3.

"Ever change will be updated in real-time and shown across all three platforms, ensuring gamers have the same visual and gameplay experience across all three platforms.”

Looks like we're going to need MaLDo's help once more.

Tain

It was a fighting game. A fighting. Game. With two characters on screen and a background. There are many 60fps fighters on consoles.

You're insisting CryEngine is more efficient on the basis that UE3 struggles to hit 60fps on 360/PS3 even though there are literally zero 60fps CryEngine2+ games on 360/PS3.

Ahasverus

You're insisting CryEngine is more efficient on the basis that UE3 struggles to hit 60fps on 360/PS3 even though there are literally zero 60fps CryEngine2+ games on 360/PS3.
I never said that. I said that CryEngine output has been better looking that UE's. Let's see if the team making a fighter with CE will have to pray to the elder gods for 60fps.
Or not, there are many engines out there. I simply dislike how everything on Unreal looks not called Mirrors Edge. There are good looking games there, but you can /feel/ the unreal clay.

...What? So graphics don't matter that's why they choose one graphics engine over another. Because it can achieve great storylines.

rue1t.gif

An engine is about more than just the graphics you can make. It also has a great deal to do with the type of game you're able to make.

Brush up on your Corrinne Yu :p

http://www.girlgamer.com/zine/article/1685/

I’ve noticed that a lot of consumers associate a game’s engine with the quality of graphics as if that’s all it’s good for. Can you explain how an engine will affect different kinds of game play?

What the data structures are, how the engine fetches data, computes, and renders, can matter just as much as what it renders, for example, lighting features. How the engine renders impact whether your game is forced to be enclosed corridors or whether you can deathmatch in a wide open world. It impacts whether your encounter is with only four co-op players at a time, or whether you co-op with a large number of players. It affects how many enemies you can fight at one time, and how dumb or smart, for example, how often are they left to think to fight against you.

It impacts how dumb or smart your enemies can based on how much or how little of the world your enemy can consider and digest from what they can see and process. It impacts how strategically fair your enemies can be with whether occluded information is occluded from their attack plans.

It is often possible to engineer a closed indoor corridor game with a lot of features, but this same engine would not be able to provide you the co-op or deathmatch experience in a wide open world. Not only does an engine affect game play, an engine’s implementation implies directly the different types of play possible by early engineering decisions pre-production.

I never said that. I said that CryEngine output has been better looking that UE's. Let's see if the team making a fighter with CE will have to pray to the elder gods for 60fps.
Or not, there are many engines out there. I simply dislike how everything on Unreal looks not called Mirrors Edge. There are good looking games there, but you can /feel/ the unreal clay.

guilty gear?

EvB

This guy's name is Vadonis Landfair......

Screw the Cryengine's photorealism , looks like somebody figured out a way to bring Skyrim to life.

CamHostage

Google this guy, I'm not sure if he's even a real person, let alone a real games studio.

Oh, that's impossible -- Landfair posted on Facebook just a few weeks ago that he needed an accountant for his taxes, surely you cannot file taxes without a Social Security Number, and you don't get a SSN if you don't exist. (Do a lot of CEOs not have accountants to do their taxes, by the way?)

To be fair to him though, he did post a few weeks ago that "Illusionstar Games got accepted into the ID@Xbox program, thus completing our 2014 Q1 Milestones." So at least he's put in a phone call or two. I've doubted people who have ended up delivering in the past, and this is the era of the independents. Best of luck to him. Still, again, a guy with no credits (that I can see at least) and only an indie license being quoted as a noted vote against UE4 for CE3, that's questionable...

EvB

He's using blender to model for his Cryengine based game and hasn't actually tested Unreal Engine 4 (of which there has only been mega impressive tech demos and Knack)

Strikes me as a company that just wants to be in "media" but has no credits for either the gaming business , nor the music and tv production studios that are part of it.

The gaming studio was founded 3 years ago , when he was 17...it just sounds like it's all talk.

Check out the Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Riot-Studio-Entertainment/371978556276524

It's like something from my nightmares.

2San

He's using blender to model for his Cryengine based game and hasn't actually tested Unreal Engine 4 (of which there has only been mega impressive tech demos and Knack)

Strikes me as a company that just wants to be in "media" but has no credits for either the gaming business , nor the music and tv production studios that are part of it.

The gaming studio was founded 3 years ago , when he was 17...it just sounds like it's all talk.

Check out the Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Riot-Studio-Entertainment/371978556276524

It's like something from my nightmares.
This should be in the OP.

So is dsogaming a reputable source? This seems like a waste of time.

CamHostage

This seems like a waste of time.

Pretty much. I've learned a bit about whatever from the side-chatter (though Knack being on UE4, that didn't end up being the case right despite first reports? there's no UE logo on the box or in the credits?), but maybe somebody should temper legitimizing this team's "expertise" on the whole UE/CryE war until Illusionstar has a real game to show.

Kreunt

Banned
Nope.

From the research I've done, it looks to be one of those "hip-hop mogul" production companies that pop every once in a while in a console transition, with hands already in every other form of entertainment and thus aspirations to get into games. Vadonis Landfair is identified as the founder and was apparently a co-founder for something called Riot TV, but when I looked it up it wasn't the RiotTV I though of, instead it's something now called Riot Studio Entertainment and produces hip-hop tracks and, strangely enough, YouTube confessional videos. Riot Studio bought some company called Syfive that was going to make PS Vita games, then closed that, I don't think they made any games either (they were called "Syfive Mobile" at first but I don't see any iPhone games under that name.) I don't know if there is a way to check anymore if a company has a license to produce console product since indies are such a factor now.

I guess you never know what a small company is capable of these days, but I don't see anything in the history or current business that says Illusionstar Games is in a position to declare a winner between UE4 and CE3.

Yeah it's all a bit odd, not really sure why this story got picked up so much, it almost seems like some kind of promotional strategy.

Top Bottom