• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusionstar Games on why UE4 worse than CRYENGINE;feels “cartoonish”,lacks features

Glass Rebel

I dunno about all brown and grey. Mirror's Edge, Bioshock Infinite, Enslaved and many, many more look bright, colorful and amazing. Even the later Gears games incorporated a lot more color than the original. I think many of the best looking of the generation were on Unreal Engine 3. This actually makes me more excited for Unreal Engine 4, because I think more bright, cartoony looking games would look amazing on it.

I was thinking more that after one generation of bullshit generalizations they will have to face a different one.

here you can see them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHGjSm_RMo

theres a video that shows it better, but i cant find it.

Well, that's pretty impressive. I guess I can see where they're coming from... even though the rest of the argument doesn't make any sense.

2San

The unreal engine is more than capable of handling cinematic story-telling and has high efficiency in delivering high quality graphics.
Maybe CE now has better work flow?

While UE reigned supreme last gen, I am not really seeing devs jumping on UE this gen. Guilty Gear Xrd looks amazing though. Is that UE3 or 4?

I can't stand UE, its always so obvious when a game uses it too.

Yeah, the character models often have that roided up "Gears" look to them.

Some games have done well to mask themselves as UE3 based ones though. A very good example would the Batman Arkham games. The first one doesn't look like a UE3 game at all.

2San

UE3, Rime is UE4 though.
Hmm, it really seems like Epic will have a rough time this gen. I'm really wondering what Tencent wants to do with Epic.

Some games have done well to mask themselves as UE3 based ones though. A very good example would the Batman Arkham games. The first one doesn't look like a UE3 game at all.
This is just insane. Majority of UE3 games don't have the roided up look at all. Arkham Asylum does though.

According to the company’s Chief Executive and Creative Director, Unreal Engine feels “cartoonish” and lacks a few features whereas CRYENGINE has a more photo-realistic feel

This sounds like an argument from someone with no artistic creativity. Having used both UE3 and CryEngine 3 Extensively, both certainly have there advantages. I have never felt artistically restricted using either...

Blizzard

Banned
I know that but the rest of the article is talking explicitly about graphics so it seems contradictory.
The most confusing part to me is how it says UE3/UE4 looks cartoonish, CRYENGINE looks photorealistic...and cartoonish might be good for some games but not this one. Thus CRYENGINE.

And then after saying they picked CRYENGINE for graphical reasons they say graphics don't matter and storylines/gameplay is what CRYENGINE allows them to deliver.

Also having to type fnord CRYENGINE fnord in all fnord CRYENGINE fnord capital letters feels weird.

kvn

The statement makes zero sense. They didn't choose unreal engine because it looks too cartoonish and instead chose cryengine because they can achieve great storys with it since graphics dont matter? What?

StuBurns

Banned
Some games do stand out as isolated, but for the most part I think it's pretty easy to see which engine a game has. One exception I think is DNF, I'd have sworn that was the Doom 3 engine, but it's UE3.

Tain

I think that, had I known nothing about the popularity of the Unreal engine, had the games not displayed any UE3 logos, and if I didn't dig through configuration files, it wouldn't be particularly obvious that all UE3 games share the same engine. Post-lightmass, at least.

It was pretty obvious, and 30fps was a dead giveaway.

30fps is not at all unique on those platforms. Hardly a "dead giveaway".

I don't know what in DmC specifically stands out as UE3.

Mik2121

I haven't used the latest version of CryEngine but I have played around with the latest builds of UE4 (not work-related) and I'm definitely confused as to what he would consider cartoonish about the engine. The visuals being cartoonish or not depend on the assets you make. The only thing I could think of is the default antialiasing that the engine has, but even that can be modified easily.

Otherwise, the shaders work in the same way as many other new engine's, and the lighting system isn't cartoonish at all.

Harp

I just hope for more variety this gen. No one can argue that UE3 engine games are not similar to each other. The most impressive games are usually built on there own engines.

Tain

UE3 just can't. Mortal Kombat developers had LOTS of troubles and that was a fighting game. Hopefully 4 is better. CryEngine certainly has produced better results so far though.

The question was whether a game running at 30fps on PS3/360 could be assumed to be a UE3 game. Considering the massive number of games powered by other engines that run at that framerate on those platforms, and considering a small few UE3 games that run at 60 on those platforms, the answer is clearly "no".

And bad normal/specular mapping is something that can happen in any engine supporting those things.

Harp said:
No one can argue that UE3 engine games are not similar to each other.

I'll argue that similar-looking Unreal Engine 3 games are usually that way due to developer choice more than anything the engine is forcing.

Kiant

Usually the give away (at least on console) was the texture pop-in, also the lighting, it always had that familiar look to it from game to game.

Batman was a bulky GoW character (did you see his forearms?) Goons were roided up, Two-Face never missed arm day. The Joker was the only meek character in that game.

It looked like a UE3 game through-and-through. Bioshock: Infinite is a better example, IMO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't that caused by the default UE libraries?

UE3 just can't. Mortal Kombat developers had LOTS of troubles and that was a fighting game. Hopefully 4 is better. CryEngine certainly has produced better results so far though.
Wait there are 60 FPS CryEngine games on consoles?

RotBot

Who do so many UE games keep texture pop-in turned on? Does it cause a lot of stuttering on last-gen consoles if not enabled? And why don't they offer an option to turn it off on the PC versions? Borderlands 2 is the only UE game I can think of that lets you turn it off in the settings. And it didn't seem to affect my performance much.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Isn't that caused by the default UE libraries?
It's caused by the lack of sub surface scattering or detail textures for skin. Skin is slightly translucent and has minor imperfections. Low poly models make it look even worse. R* is notorious for this.

A game engine isn't going to do all the necessary work for you. It takes a lot of artistic talent to make realistic graphics.

DocSeuss

This reminds me of the time when people said Cryengine couldn't do cartoony or non-jungle scenes, because Crysis had been made with jungles in mind.

Engine =/= art design

It's doubly hilarious as Crytek's own games usually have horrible gameplay and story.

Woah, what?

Story, sure, but gameplay? Crytek's always been up there with the best of the best, AI aside.

Yuuichi

Who do so many UE games keep texture pop-in turned on? Does it cause a lot of stuttering on last-gen consoles if not enabled? And why don't they offer an option to turn it off on the PC versions? Borderlands 2 is the only UE game I can think of that lets you turn it off in the settings. And it didn't seem to affect my performance much.

Because it saves VRAM, don't have to cache as much.

I find this whole argument a bit dubious, to be honest. I've spent a good amount of time with UDK, and found Unreal's toolset to be very conducive to game making, even if the graphics aren't photorealistic. While I can't really comment on Cryengine, I guess I can agree that it looks more realistic, but I feel that Unreal ends up far, far more optimized and is perfectly easy to port for, from my understanding. If you prefer one engine over another, great, be my guest, but I'm not sure I buy the argument in the article.

Kuro

seriously?

Mirror's Edge? Guilty Gear Xrd? Killer is Dead? DmC? Crimson Dragon?

The loading textures, AA solution, framerate hitches, and the way the shaders look put me off in all but Mirror's Edge but I'm sure that wasn't vanilla UE with DICE working on it and all.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
There's quite a few Cryengine 3.5+ games being develop right now. Star Citizen, that new Middle Age RPG game etc.. it's nice to see variety. UE4 will excel in SciFi imho..

-PXG-

Now devs are purposefully confusing graphics engines and art direction. Fantastic.

This irritates me to no end.

Yuuichi

The loading textures, AA solution, framerate hitches, and the way the shaders look put me off in all but Mirror's Edge but I'm sure that wasn't vanilla UE with DICE working on it and all.

Licensing UE gives you access to the source code, so I'm sure DICE rewrote a good portion of it, especially in regards to lighting.

RooMHM

Always thought UE looked terrible except one or two heavy modifications to the engine. Not gonna change I see...

Vire

This guy probably has an agenda to push cryengine. I can't imagine he actually thinks that the engine dictates art style at all unless they are being super lazy and just using everything stock.

Specially with what they have been demoing with UE4. It doesn't look cartoony or like gears at all.

While on the topic it is interesting how most developers have moved away from using middleware engines and just make their own these days.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't used the latest version of CryEngine but I have played around with the latest builds of UE4 (not work-related) and I'm definitely confused as to what he would consider cartoonish about the engine. The visuals being cartoonish or not depend on the assets you make. The only thing I could think of is the default antialiasing that the engine has, but even that can be modified easily.

Otherwise, the shaders work in the same way as many other new engine's, and the lighting system isn't cartoonish at all.
I'm assuming you're NDA'd out the wazoo, but do you have any guesses at all as to when UE4 might become available in UDK form?

Licensing UE gives you access to the source code, so I'm sure DICE rewrote a good portion of it, especially in regards to lighting.
Mirror's Edge used static lighting baked by the Beast engine and imported into the game, I believe.

Tain

When it comes to the whole "Mirror's Edge uses totally different lighting" thing, DICE actually just imported external lightmaps. As far as I can tell from what they've said in interviews, at least.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This guy probably has an agenda to push cryengine. I can't imagine he actually thinks that the engine dictates art style at all unless they are being super lazy and just using everything stock.

Specially with what they have been demoing with UE4. It doesn't look cartoony or like gears at all.

While on the topic it is interesting how most developers have moved away from using middleware engines and just make their own these days.
I'm not seeing that trend at all. Unless you meant to say the opposite.

Most devs choose UE for the toolset and support. CryEngine isn't on the same level in that department. It's pretty rare to see third parties use it for that reason.

Sanic

They're just saying that, out of the box using default solutions, CryEngine gave them more of the look they were going for.

Still seems like an odd thing to say, and i'm guessing that English is not that individuals native language.

I'm not seeing that trend at all. Unless you meant to say the opposite.

Most devs choose UE for the toolset and support. CryEngine isn't on the same level in that department. It's pretty rare to see third parties use it for that reason.

In the AAA space I think there's been a move away. I would agree that overall usage of third party tools has increased.

Kraut

As a few people have already pointed out, an engine does not dictate the look of a game. The grey and brown colors, somewhat saturated scenes, roided-up characters, and heavy normal mapping are stylistic choices made by the developer. This also contributes to the tupe fallacy a lot of people are falling for. Gears of War was made with UE and set stylistic themes that many developers embraced over the past several years. It was also somewhat of an ad for the engine that in some part led a lot of developers to use it. Put these two together, and you have a widely used engine for games that are intentionally drawing from aspects of Gears' style.

As for the news story, I find it really odd. Googling the studio, I found the first page and a half all referencing this article. The studio hasn't actually released a game yet from what I can tell, which makes them a strange choice for the subject of a news story.

The explanation he gives is also really vague and unintuitive, making me think maybe there were some licensing or monetary reasons they didn't go with UE, and rather than air that in public they leaned on the technical differences without really thinking the explanation through. Or, as is most likely, we're all over thinking this. Yup, that's it.

StuBurns

Banned
In the AAA space I think there's been a move away. I would agree that overall usage of third party tools has increased.
It's really been a move towards publisher owned, internal engines for the most part, rather than individual studios.

Certainly UE4 hasn't been announced for any major release, save for the new Fable.

EDIT: And the next Gears.

Top Bottom