• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm amazed by how many people prefer the earlier "Family Guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get who Family Guy's intended audience is. There's mature content but every joke is explained to you as if you have the mental capacity of a potato.

Pre-cancellation episodes felt like an off brand Simpsons, direct after it was brought back I was still pretty young and thought it was the funniest shit ever.

Now, it's extremely dumb and I don't watch it, but if it's ever on there a least a couple jokes that are still alright. It's not completely worthless, but I won't ever seek it out.

The seasons right after they came back (4 I think) is the one I consider best. It is when they start making the show just a series of jokes, but it's the first time they tell those jokes. Every season afterwards seem determined to run those original jokes into the ground and beat the shit out of them.

I prefer the newer stuff. I find all of Family Guy funny, but most post-cancellation episodes manage to make me laugh out loud a few times per episode. Plus the HD episodes are way prettier.

I'm one of those people that like Family Guy, I guess. Judge away!

ksdixon

the two biggest things that bother me about modern family guy is Stewie completely dropping his evil genius/world domination stuff; and Meg becoming the family scapegoat.

They've even played around with it, with time travel episodes, new Stewie says 'Old Stewie has a lot more cool toys than I do'.

Jackpot

Banned
All of Family Guy has been good. The earlier episodes are held in higher regard because of the Fox cancellation and it felt fresher.

The last two seasons have been mostly terrible. OJ Simpson episode sticks out in my mind as joke-free.

edit: and let's not forget the Brian is Dead arc.

Mechazawa

All of Family Guy has been good. The earlier episodes are held in higher regard because of the Fox cancellation and it felt fresher.

It's held in high regard because the writing was actually good and they didn't beat you over the fucking head to get a joke across.

Family Guy was never the height of subtlety, but it had a good balance of crass and subdued that got completely lost when it came back.

Fortunately we got the early seasons of American Dad out of that, so whatever.

U2NUMB

I still get some enjoyment out of them and they are good background noise when I am gaming or otherwise. Each episode still gets me to crack up even though its the same crap over and over.

DarkKyo

The talking fish sucks, even the writers know it, so he's become the Meg of American Dad. Roger is similar to Stewie but a lot more flexible, and has a much partner in Steve than Stewie has in Brian. Likewise, I think the Stan/Fran plots are generally a lot stronger than anything with Lois and Peter.

I also love Francine/Steve plots, Francine/Roger plots, and Roger/Stan plots. There are a ton of great relationship dynamics in AD.
Edit: Also, Klaus has gotten better over the years... there are a ton of great Klaus bits.

First 2 seasons of FG were very much more like the Simpsons. Peter was misguided and a bit of an ass but he loved his kids and actually gave them advice, trying to be a good parent.

I guess it wanted to move away from being another Simpsons and so just made all the characters ridiculous and now Peter forgets he even has kids.

Ramza

Banned
First 2 seasons of FG were very much more like the Simpsons. Peter was misguided and a bit of an ass but he loved his kids and actually gave them advice, trying to be a good parent.

I guess it wanted to move away from being another Simpsons and so just made all the characters ridiculous and now Peter forgets he even has kids.

I agree with this post. Loved the first few seasons so much.

Family guy is a show I liked when I was younger because it was different from any other cartoon, but over the years not only has it skyrocketed in the wrong direction but I've also grown older. Pre-cancellation was when the show was at it's most decent, but after that oh god. It's like the pewdiepie of television! It keeps yelling at me with this giant fan base and I just want to hide away from it.

Oh.... and no my name isn't a family guy reference. I've spent years considering changing it but I feel like I shouldn't have to.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Season 3 Family Guy was excellent. On par with peak Simpsons, imo. I don't watch it any more.
Wow! Really? On par? Now that really is crazy talk. People really need to stop putting the early seasons on some sort of high pedestal, because they're really not that great.

Tuck

The humor was definitely more subdued and low key in the earlier seasons, but the Griffins were much more likeable characters. That's the main reason I enjoy those early seasons more. Well, that and less cutaways.
Ive felt in some of the newer episodes, all the characters are so mean to each other. I pretty much hate the direction they went with every character.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ive felt in some of the newer episodes, all the characters are so mean to each other. I pretty much hate the direction they went with every character.
You know what...I think I like that aspect better. Because would people have actually held their interest if Stewie didn't go beyond simply being an evil genius who wanted to kill his mother?

In the beginning it was random for the sake of being funny. Jokes were still fresh. Nowadays it's just random to fulfill the show's premise, reflect Mc Farlanes political views and they are so creatively bancrupt, some of the awful jokes go on for like 3 minutes or more. It also feels more disgusting nowadays, for no reason at all.

Thank god for American Dad.

You know what...I think I like that aspect better. Because would people have actually held their interest if Stewie didn't go beyond simply being an evil genius who wanted to kill his mother?
There are tons of cartoony plots Stewie could use to take over the world or destroy something he hates. Like that episode where he creates a weather machine to get rid of broccoli. It would certainly be more interesting then the way he acts now.

I'm much more of an American Dad fan, but I definitely have a soft spot for the Brian-Stewie FG episodes from the first few seasons.

I can only watch the earlier seasons. The humor was stupid funny, now it's just stupid stupid. I hate what they've done to Stewie as well.

Honestly this is how I feel about most animated shows anyway. I can't stand the new South Park episodes, but seasons 1-9 and some of 10 were glorious. Same with King of the Hill, American Dad and Futurama.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
There are tons of cartoony plots Stewie could use to take over the world or destroy something he hates. Like that episode where he creates a weather machine to get rid of broccoli. It would certainly be more interesting then the way he acts now.
I'm just saying that you can only go so far in developing a character who's prime motivation is to have absolute power...and to kill his mother (the latter of which was especially repetitive). Which is why I'm glad that they dropped that when they did the "Stewie Kills Lois" two parter and allowed him to be come a more well rounded character (at least to the extent that Family Guy allows), that still gets to do zany things with Brian (what being a baby genius and all that). "The Road to" episodes being such highlights of that aspect.

I can only watch the earlier seasons. The humor was stupid funny, now it's just stupid stupid. I hate what they've done to Stewie as well.

Honestly this is how I feel about most animated shows anyway. I can't stand the new South Park episodes, but seasons 1-9 and some of 10 were glorious. Same with King of the Hill, American Dad and Futurama.
Ahhh, I still enjoy it for the cheap laugh...though I'm not above hating certain episodes of the show. Like that OJ Simpson one or that one that had the extended Conway Twitty gag.

Gotta come to the defense of Family Guy. Doesn't feel like an Adult Swim show - to which some have likened it. Not as sentimental as The Simpsons. Not as smart as South Park. Not as nerdy as Futurama. Okay. I get it.

But it's often VERY bold. Also incredibly self-aware. Some of the personality changes over the years have definitely hurt the show, and the constant abuse of Meg actually makes me uncomfortable. That it insults EVERYONE so crassly is part of the show's charm.

That said, the show is *very* comfortable in it's ability to make the audience squeamish. And every few episodes, you get gems like this well-written OUT OF NOWHERE speech when Quagmire blasts Brian for being pretentious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbnssEZ_Xk

So yeah, it's a guilty pleasure. I kinda cringe whenever I overhear/read Family Guy conversations and people act as if it's some show for idiots. Like the audience is of lesser quality than the 'educated' Simpsons, South Park or Futurama crowds.

FWIW, I can't stand American Dad. Thought the Cleveland Show was just finding it's legs (Although bringing the whole family back to FG was a GREAT move). The bit where Cleveland gets roasted upon his return was fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyvfu3Nh6UY

So yeah...Shows that people tend to love like Bob's burger and half of the Adult Swim shows don't appeal to me at all. I don't get the Family Guy hate.

The show is hit or miss with me, and still has good jokes every once in a while. I'm not nearly as down on the show as some of you are, but I don't go in with a cynical mindset, I take it one episode at a time. Still love it overall.

FWIW, Seth has stated on numerous occasions that he thinks most shows shouldn't go past 7 seasons, but this is a cash cow for him.

The show is hit or miss with me, and still has good jokes every once in a while. I'm not nearly as down on the show as some of you are, but I don't go in with a cynical mindset, I take it one episode at a time.

FWIW, Seth has stated on numerous occasions that he thinks most shows shouldn't go past 7 seasons, but this is a cash cow for him.

You know what's fascinating about Seth? I just tried watching a Million Ways to Die in the West. He needs to really take a step back. I couldn't make it past 20 minutes. Not because the material isn't funny. You could take the same dialogue and delivery and put it in animated form and it works. Same sight gags. Same humor and tone.

Problem is Seth. He's so enamored with himself that he thinks that he can carry a movie. He doesn't know how to fall back and let others carry the load.

In the 20 minutes I could bear, the camera was mostly on him. Basically monologuing. He's opposite Giovanni Ribisi and Sarah Silverman. They barely speak. It's the Seth McFarlane show. It's actually embarrassing. Also, the movie looks cheap. Some shots so overexposed that it's shocking that they made it through the cutting room

Gonna give it another go, but this movie feels like we're watching MacFarlane cinematically masturbate.

You know what's fascinating about Seth? I just tried watching a Million Ways to Die in the West. He needs to really take a step back. I couldn't make it past 20 minutes. Not because the material isn't funny. You could take the same dialogue and delivery and put it in animated form and it works. Same sight gags. Same humor and tone.

Problem is Seth. He's so enamored with himself that he thinks that he can carry a movie. He doesn't know how to fall back and let others carry the load.

In the 20 minutes I could bear, the camera was mostly on him. Basically monologuing. He's opposite Giovanni Ribisi and Sarah Silverman. They barely speak. It's the Seth McFarlane show. It's actually embarrassing. Also, the movie looks cheap. Some shots so overexposed that it's shocking that they made it through the cutting room

Gonna give it another go, but this movie feels like we're watching MacFarlane cinematically masturbate.

I couldn't stand that movie, and I'm a fan of his. I agree with your post entirely. I would genuinely like to see him branch out movie wise to the point where he is not a central character. It'd be awkward at first (like seeing him on Flash Forward and smiling despite it not being a comical role), but I'd like to see where it goes.

Timeaisis

FG was never really that good. Early seasons were OK, but the humor wore thin really soon. American Dad was never good, and the Cleveland Show is awful.

Compare that to consistently funny animated shows like Futurama or King of the HIll. I don't get the Seth McFarlane love at all.

If you thought the pre-cancellation humor was dull, you have a very limited taste.
It had the best writing this side of Simpsons season 2-6.

The writing style was new & fresh. Basically every modern cartoon that has adult humor ripped them off.

MIMIC

Banned
I've always loved the first 3 seasons of Family Guy.

The seasons after it was brought back were some of the laziest, most cringe-worthy comedy that I had ever seen. It has only recently started getting funny again.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
damn, even the voices are the exact same. Even the store lady was the same voice as the original anchor women on family guy. Dianne Simmons.
Fun fact: She also happens to be the same voice for Pearl of Spongebob and The Boss of MGS3. Just throwing it out there.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I got heavily into Family Guy when I was in highschool. There was a family guy revival of sorts and it became popular with the release of DVDs after it was canceled. I remember loving the earlier seasons. But I also grew tired of the show pretty quickly after it came back on air. I wasn't sure if it was because the show had gotten worse or as I got older I just didn't find the humor as funny as I used to. A year ago I went back and re watched some of the old seasons and it hasn't aged well at all IMO.

I can't comment on the new seasons as I haven't seen it in a while. But I always hear people complaining about it. I liked most of American Dad though. *shrugs*

S1-3 may've been a bit of a generic animated sitcom, but I think that format worked better for the show. The jokes hit the mark a lot more often.

Starting in season 4, the humor became more stilted and "douchey" (i.e. characters stuttering constantly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom