• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm marathoning the original, Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

Different strokes

I personally prefer to not have shit poured down my ears. Clearly you do :(

I just find the music to be incredibly boring. Same applies to Sailor Moon. I watched the season 1 finale with the new dub and the impact behind the Queen Beryl defeat was diminished without Serena's song in there.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just find the music to be incredibly boring. Same applies to Sailor Moon. I watched the season 1 finale with the new dub and the impact behind the Queen Beryl defeat was diminished without Serena's song in there.
It has character, charm and adds levity, and when it needs to get epic, it does.

For me, the US music is exactly that. US music, clearly put together by a focus test too. Mindless extreme buttrock tacked onto scenes it has no business being tacked onto.

It would be like taking the Terminator, removing Brad Fiedel's score and replacing it with fucking Linkin Park or worse. It's an insult to the original work in so many ways not to mention an insult to the original composer.

Tizoc

watch kai instead

Agreed, the fillers are so atrocious for that series. Freeza saga being 20ish eps. in kai is good enough.

EDIT: Actually I'd say the OG series is worth watching from the Android or Cell Saga onwards, mainly because Daisuke Gori voices Mr. Satan and for Spirit vs. Spirit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn, the Android Saga is pretty cool so far. First time watching this Arc, but loved the entrance of No. 20 and No. 19 (even if it was kind of dumb Yamcha didn't realize they were the androids till he noticed the Red Ribbon logo).

Anth0ny

Agreed, the fillers are so atrocious for that series. Freeza saga being 20ish eps. in kai is good enough.

EDIT: Actually I'd say the OG series is worth watching from the Android or Cell Saga onwards, mainly because Daisuke Gori voices Mr. Satan and for Spirit vs. Spirit.

oh my god

kai has neither of these things

fuck kai

Patapwn

I'm addicted to Chris Sabat, non female goku, and Bruce Faulconer

I tried the Japanese stuff but the voice actors didn't seem to match my perception of the characters and the orchestral score was jarring as fuck

MikeMyers

Damn, the Android Saga is pretty cool so far. First time watching this Arc, but loved the entrance of No. 20 and No. 19 (even if it was kind of dumb Yamcha didn't realize they were the androids till he noticed the Red Ribbon logo).
Most of the plot in that arc is driven by the heroes bring dumb, really.

Watch Da Birdie

Most of the plot in that arc is driven by the heroes bring dumb, really.

True, as Bulma points out they could've stopped it all from happening before three years had gone by.

But to be fair to Yamcha, I guess No. 19 doesn't look any weirder than Chaotzu.

TxdoHawk

I give you credit for going through this OP, because:

* The show has a really glacial pace...

...is putting it mildly.

I know the popular consensus is that modern anime is trash compared to the "classic" era, but the one thing the modern era has gotten right, IMO, is the switch to shorter TV-style seasons. I respect the monoliths of this time period, but man, it is hard to go back.

Kalnos

Banned

...is putting it mildly.

I know the popular consensus is that modern anime is trash compared to the "classic" era, but the one thing the modern era has gotten right, IMO, is the switch to shorter TV-style seasons. I respect the monoliths of this time period, but man, it is hard to go back.

Well, a modern comparison would be something like Naruto which also has terrible filler.

...is putting it mildly.

Most older shows were shorter too though. DBZ and its shonen ilk were outliers. And they still exist too.

Malajax

...is putting it mildly.

Well, a modern comparison would be something like Naruto which also has terrible filler.

Yeah, the long running Shonen hasn't gone anywhere. Naruto literally has hundreds of episodes of filler, and One Piece has similar glacial pacing these days (though it works IMO, since one chapter of One Piece can cover a lot of ground vs the average DB episode). But I agree, they have gotten better with the season approach.

Watch Da Birdie

Honestly, the Frieza fight was the first time I got worn out watching the show...otherwise, the pace isn't too bad when you marathon the show instead of waiting on a weekly basis. The episodes go by pretty fast, and I think the slower pace actually works to its advantage by building tension and making the fight scenes have more weight...

I'd love to see a serious analysis on the fight scenes one day. Personally, they all seem pretty brutal and well put together.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
OP, one thing watching OG DBZ over DB Kai is that you get to see a filler arc on par with the rest of the series: the Other World Tournament. Look forward to it after finishing Cell.

Watch Da Birdie

Fucking Maron.

That like 2/3rds of an episode dedicated to showing flashbacks of the R.R. Arc from Dragonball to bring her up to speed. :/

Watch Da Birdie

GAF doesn't have any rules against bumping your own thread if you have a worthwhile post, right?

So, I've fallen a bit behind due to the holidays, but I'm back in the groove and ready to finish the last-half of the series (Episode 160 and onward)...even though I've been going at a slower pace, I find the pacing of the Cell Saga to be pretty snappy so far. Surprised at how fast it's gone by with Cell already reaching his perfect form.

Got to say, I really, really like Cell. Dude manages to be threatening, but I find him oddly sympathetic when he's in his Semi-Perfect Form. I don't know if it's the duck face or what, but he's enjoyable to watch and I like how he doesn't totally have the deck stacked in his favor. He's sort of...cute. He just transformed into Perfect Cell, and I dunno if I'll like him as much now since I imagine he'll go more into the overly cocky villain like Freeza was.

Watch Da Birdie

Naruto filler chronicle. What kind of show has fillers after the manga ends? Freaking Naruto.

They probably didn't know when the manga would be ending, so they had the episodes produced already and are airing them before they adapt the next part of the manga, which happened to be the end. It's not that weird.

Much as I enjoyed watching the Cell arc, the Buu saga has provided a number of WTF-moments on the animation/script side, namely the Engrish teachers (the "rap" example I pointed out earlier still has me shaking my head), Kibito's derp face (you'll know it when you see it), and two of Babidi's henchman who have gigantic poorly drawn mustaches that resemble the Pringles mascot. In their memory, I have named them the Pringle Brothers: Dudley and Fudley.

I really have to test out my new screencapture device on some of this, lmao. It's comedy gold.

Also, to the poster who mentioned Killia being a bad stereotype...I switched back to English just to hear his voice and holy fucking shit I have no idea how they got away with that. No words.

Watch Da Birdie

They gave that one Movie Android who looked like a pimp an equally racist caricature voice, didn't they? Yeah, he was purple, but you could tell what the intent behind the design was...

But for Mr. Popo, the english dub actually improved things where in the original he talked like a caveman (or so the subs make it).

brinstar

Yeah Popo has a primitive way of speaking in the original.

And lmao yeah, dub Killa was the worst. What was he like in JP I forgot. Just normal, or?

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm...even as Perfect Cell, there's still a bit of humor in the character I enjoy.

"Wow, nice moves guys!" made me laugh, or something along those lines.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, another Status Update.

I'm actually in the final stretch now, only about 90 episodes left as I just began the Saiyaman/World Tournament Arc.

First, the Cell Saga was pretty cool...I think I liked it a bit better than the Freeza Saga, to be honest. I liked Cell more than Freeza, it had a better pace in the show and nothing was too drawn out, and I loved the finale with everyone helping stop Cell (and something the show improved on, imo, because in the original it was just Vegeta helping Gohan during the final Kamehameha showdown).

Otherworld Tournament was also pretty cute and a nice, quick filler. I liked the design of the various aliens Goku fought against, the funny battles that hearkened back to the older days of Dragon Ball, and just seeing a Tournament since those Arcs are usually fun in anime.

Just started Saiyaman, as I said, and honestly the school-day stuff sort of dragged on, even though when I first watched DBZ as a kid, that was the first Arc I really watched and I enjoyed it. It's not that bad though, but when in a marathon, you sort of want to get to the action again soon after a long lull. I appreciate the little slice-of-life character building for Gohan, and Videl's a neat character, as well as the show adding a lot of new BGM after the previous sagas had, like, 10 songs they constantly repeated. As a kid, I loved the Buu Saga, so I'm wondering how I'll feel about it now?

I've also used this time to catch up on the films...

Dead Zone was alright, I liked the designs of the villains, but otherwise a ho-hum movie with the only real draw being it having some connection with the main show, giving us an arc (Garlic Jr.) that I actually fairly enjoyed.

The World's Strongest was the worst, imo. Goku fighting a giant robot just doesn't have the same impact as seeing him take on a villain that is on his level, physically, and Dr. Wheelo was pretty dull and sort of felt like he didn't fit in the DBZ-verse.

Tree of Might was pretty good, I liked Tullece and Nozawa doing an "evil Goku" voice was great, as was seeing the other Z-Warriors get to (well, attempt) to do something. That one villain, Cacao, the robot dude, had such a great design it's a shame he was wasted to a one-shot movie villain. The ending was pretty much a cop-out though, Goku just randomly gets power from a crazy tree, although it was visually cool.

Lord Slug was a bit better than the previous three, especially the fight at the end. I wasn't sure how this movie fit into the canon going into it, but the Japanese title referred to "Super Saiyan", and at one point King Kai mentions Freeza so I assume, y'know, it was after Freeza...but no, the Super Saiyan in this movie apparently premiered 10 days before the manga Super Saiyan, so it looks totally different. Weird.

Cooler's Revenge was the best movie so far. Cooler was a great villain, even if he's a bit of an Gary Stu OC...parts of Freeza's personality got on my nerves, so I loved how Cooler was a bit more straightforward, pro-active, and didn't whine as much. His underlings were also rather fun, and the fight between them and Piccolo was the highlight. I also loved at the end how Piccolo just kills Salza from off-screen like a bad ass. Only real issue I had was Cooler went down a bit too fast at the end, but overall the movie had a decent plot, great fight scenes, and was rather well paced, while I found the others to have a bit uneven pacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom