• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not buying a third pair of joy cons so I guess I'm done with the switch? Anyone else?

blackjon24

Bought a switch near launch and got the drift within a year. Decided to buy another pair this year to play xenoblade remastered and it happened again. So if I have zero intentions of paying for a 3rd pair of joycons should i be done with the system? To top it off i hear this great news.

Essentially nintendo is saying that the joycon issue isn't causing anyone any inconvenience. If you look at the subreddit which is extremely pro switch you will easily see that they are flat out wrong on that one.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Too bad I was really looking forward to monster hunter rise and smt5

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I got a Switch lite but stopped playing it once I got my laptop, fills the same roll for me really. Saving it to give to my nephew when he gets a bit older.

Shame they didn’t fix these issues before they made a console that can’t swap them out on.

I'm on my second set - my launch Joycons lasted until earlier this year. Hopefully I'll get a similar lifespan out of my second set, but they really should have done something about this design by now.

I feel really sorry for those who bought a Switch Lite. I actually was going to buy one (yes, I was going to buy a second Switch) but once people said that the design was the same, I definitely wouldn't want to have to deal with that. I haven't seen too many reports of drift on the Lite though interestingly enough.

Vawn

Banned
Shame they didn’t fix these issues before they made a console that can’t swap them out on.

The failure rate of drift on the Lite has been right in-line with every other major console so far. As far as I can tell, it is just the Joycons that suffer from this issue.

Bridges

If the Pro Controller wasn't so good I might be with you. Really sucks that joycons are more expensive than other controllers and still have these types of issues.

I got a Switch lite but stopped playing it once I got my laptop, fills the same roll for me really. Saving it to give to my nephew when he gets a bit older.

Holy shit does the Switch Lite have drift too? That sucks

Warnen

If the Pro Controller wasn't so good I might be with you. Really sucks that joycons are more expensive than other controllers and still have these types of issues.

Holy shit does the Switch Lite have drift too? That sucks

Mines been fine but I have heard that it does. I might just not be hard on them, never had issue with the regular switch and both switches my brother bought still on his original modded joy cons (dpad and transparent case). He also played it a lot more then I did.

Nehezir

Banned
my brother can't afford the $80 for a joycon in the current environment so for now he uses a wireless gamecube controller apparently?

devilNprada

Bought a switch near launch and got the drift within a year. Decided to buy another pair this year to play xenoblade remastered and it happened again. So if I have zero intentions of paying for a 3rd pair of joycons should i be done with the system? To top it off i hear this great news.

Essentially nintendo is saying that the joycon issue isn't causing anyone any inconvenience. If you look at the subreddit which is extremely pro switch you will easily see that they are flat out wrong on that one.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Too bad I was really looking forward to monster hunter rise and smt5

Nintendo fixes these no questions asked..
Edit: just sent two pairs of launch joycons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Send everything you've got in for repair. I did it once and while they didn't "repair" the three sets of Joy-Cons I sent in, my package did come back with three brand new (or at least perfectly refurbished) sets that no longer had the drift problem. I was not charged anything.

devilNprada

Send everything you've got in for repair. I did it once and while they didn't "repair" the three sets of Joy-Cons I sent in, my package did come back with three brand new (or at least perfectly refurbished) sets that no longer had the drift problem. I was not charged anything.

They fixed my kids launch set... I know because he marked them up with markers.

Warnen

No problems on Switch Light so far. As with mice, don't carry it unprotected.

so is it confirmed dirt and shit getting in there is what causes it? Makes sense why never had issues, always keep it in a case. None of my controllers every get grimy really. Washing your hands and not eating while playing a game helps a lot I guess.

Bridges

Do they still do this for free?

EDIT: sorry dumb question, you clearly implied they do. Do you have a link or something of how to go about this?

Last edited:
I'm gonna buy as many as it takes, then class action. Dumb shits deserve whatever judgement they get.

Problem is, otherwise theyre great products...i can't hori motion aiming. They just need to sack up and fix it already.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yes, it shouldn't happen but I bought a repair kit that replaces the whole stick part. It came with two and has worked great for a year. Was like $15 on Amazon and fixes 2 Joycons. Those who cry about buying new joycons are just morons.

reinking

Gold Member
We have 3 Switch consoles in the house (on of them a Lite). 2 of 3 have drift. I will never buy another Nintendo console again until I know it doe snot have these kind of issue. I can forgive them for having something show up after launch. I can't forgive them for not correcting the issue before releasing the Lite model.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am not sure the controllers are the things drifting. I get random drift in everything. Joycons, Pro controller, WiiU controller via magic NS. Mario, Link, Luigi they are always drunk and meandering all over the place.

notseqi

so is it confirmed dirt and shit getting in there is what causes it? Makes sense why never had issues, always keep it in a case. None of my controllers every get grimy really. Washing your hands and not eating while playing a game helps a lot I guess.
I had it in my backpack a lot of times and i had to get irritated by stuff. To me, it's still crisp, but I'm no hardcore user.

Get the best buy two year warranty. Once they drift they exchange it no questions asked. Saved me on ps4 controllers turning to shit battery life wise.

I will be the first to say I don't like the Joy-Cons I have not used them long enough to even see an issue with them I got a Pro Controller day one. I only use Joy-Cons for games that force you to use them and most of the time I find I play those games less because of the lack of Pro Controller support

hopefully a redesign is on the way I don't blame anyone who is tired of having issues with those Joy-Cons

My Joy Con controllers lasted from launch to a couple months ago. I sent them in for repair and got them back a week or more later. I'm not bothered by drift issues. I expect it to happen over time. I had the same thing happen to controllers that go all the back to N64. They just get replaced. This was the first time I actually sent a controller in for repair. I'm surprised my launch PS4 controllers still have no issues.

Digity

I never play mine in portable mode so this is literally nothing I'll ever have to deal with thankfully, pro controller all day long. Not that I play the thing anyways, haven't touched it since launch when BOTW came out haha.

Bought my 6 year old a switch mini for Christmas, why does it lose power when completely turned off? He only gets to play it on road trips and every single time the battery is completely dead

jigglet

Banned
I was in the same boat. I was using a pro controller for most of my games and then Galaxy came out and I love playing that with the original split controller layout, so I thought...I guess that means I can't play?

I'm on my 5th pair now but this is my last set. I can't keep doing this.

iconmaster

Banned
It's real bad. I'm using the same two pairs since almost the beginning, but every Joy-con half has been in for drift repair at least once.

It's great that Nintendo fixes it for free, but
  • That's not true worldwide
  • It's still a pain to be without a controller for two weeks (or, if you own multiple, to have your multiplayer options cut)
  • They'll eventually stop. It might be before the end of the Switch life cycle or after, but at some point we'll be resorting to replacing sticks ourselves. Easy enough – I've done it – but it doesn't bode well for the product's lifetime.
Bought my 6 year old a switch mini for Christmas, why does it lose power when completely turned off? He only gets to play it on road trips and every single time the battery is completely dead

Pretty sure that's just a defective product. Get Nintendo Support on the case.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
It's great that Nintendo fixes it for free, but
  • That's not true worldwide
  • It's still a pain to be without a controller for two weeks (or, if you own multiple, to have your multiplayer options cut)
  • They'll eventually stop. It might be before the end of the Switch life cycle or after, but at some point we'll be resorting to replacing sticks ourselves. Easy enough – I've done it – but it doesn't bode well for the product's lifetime.

This. The first point is what a lot of people don't realise.

F31 Leopard

Try putting it in sleep mode instead of completely turning it off and see if that works. I noticed the battery does not drain as fast in sleep mode. I used to completely turn of my switch and after turning it on it would around 60% vs sleep it would be around 95%. I experimented 5 hrs off vs sleep.

My hope is Nintendo fixes this for the Switch Pro/Super Switch and it’s backwards compatible with Switch games. I don’t really have long term hopes other than that. It’s a shame because the Switch is Nintendo’s best device in a long time, but its longevity will be hampered by these failures.

petran79

Banned

It is more convenient playing games on laptop via the Switch emulators

Allandor

Yeah, Nintendo support is really awful. Already repaired all 4 joy cons we have myself. The good thing is, it is quite easy to repair and the parts are cheap. The bad thing is, the quality of Nintendos joy cons have not really increased. As if they still do that on purpose because they know people will buy that shit again.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is on his 7th or 8th joycon already and he's not complaining. He's happily giving Nintendo money. He also has a few pro controllers.

You should follow his example and just give Nintendo money! :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I have also 2 pairs with drift problems, both times on right joy cons. So, I can't just use one from one pair and other from different pair.

I bought 2 8bitDo controllers, and if they go bad, I'll just say 'bye bye' to Switch.

Last edited:
My Pro Controller also started drifting last year so it's not just the Joy-Cons ... but the Joy-Con drifting is much more frequent.

I bought a pack of 10 OEM Joy-Con joysticks off eBay for like $40 and have replaced 2 in my house and 1 for my niece. Stinks, but it definitely fixes the problem. If you get good at it it takes like 10 minutes.

I also fixed my Pro Controller using the guide linked from here, but that is much more difficult. Still doable, but not something I'd recommend the average person attempt. Note that I did this before the 10.0.2 system update which reportedly fixes Pro Controller drift. I don't know if that would have fixed my problem or not.

Nah I don’t hardcore play the controllers meant for portability, because they’re lite by nature.

Also helps not having fat meaty fingers. So yes I am blaming the consumer.

Allforce

I had 4 joycons repaired and after not playing the system for a few months went to fire it up and can't get a signal to the TV from the dock. It'll charge, but no signal. Tried all available reddit-answers and various websites but finally called Nintendo and they want 120 bucks to fix plus they say my game saves will be wiped.

I enjoy their games and the family does too but Fucking Nintendo. This is literally the chintziest console I've ever owned, hands down.

Top Bottom