• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not enjoying Chrono Trigger. What is wrong with me?

WGMBY

It probably isn't for everybody. I find that I rarely have patience for sprawling JRPGS or even cRPGs. Just too much to do. I'm trying to get through Wasteland 2 now, and even though it's great, I find it to be a bit of a slog.

ampere

Diminished attention span due to the age of instant gratification on the internet? I know this might sound weird OP but try doing a "media fast" get off of gaf, facebook, etc for a day or 2 and then try it. That may sound weird but it may very well help. It could also just be you have different tastes than the people who herald it I can't say for sure.

Might be some truth in this, but you also just have to be in that mindset that you are playing an old game. I played the PS1 Final Fantasy games around 2005 - 2007 and it took a bit of adjusting back to them, but once I did I had a lot of fun.

I got it a few years ago on DS and it was one of those games that completely captivated me from beginning to end.

Same, DS copy was the first time I played it and I was completely hooked. I hear it is the best version since it doesn't have load times like the disc versions.

Azriell

I've never really cared for it either. I always felt like I was missing something with the combat system. I love the art and the music, and I enjoyed he story. But gameplay is what matters most to me, and it never clicked with me. The first time I played, I got all the way to the end, and I just couldn't pick which
time period in which to fight
Lavos. A really dumb reason to not finish a game, but I was guilty of this sort of indecisiveness a lot in the past.

I've tried to replay it a few times, but I just can't slog through it again. And now that I've seen the story once, I've lost one of the only motivators I had to play the game in the first place. I want to like it, but it's just not for me.

Yeah Zeal is awesome, but it might be getting overshadowed by the Reptite part where you have to find all the petals, feathers, etc right before it. That part of the game is kind of boring.
Oh god I forgot about that. That is what I am about to do. At least once I get to Zeal I will basically be caught up to where I dropped the game last time.

I think I just took too long of a hiatus while in Zeal, came back and just completely forgot what was happening. So I shut it down and said "I'll come back to this in a year or two" and that's where I am now.

More good thoughts in this thread. I have no issue with older games so it's not that. I can pick up and enjoy older RPGs and appreciate them. I think it's just the lack of combat depth and character customization that's holding this back for me. Each character is tied to an element and you can't change that, all character-specific spells (and not that many of them), not heavily loot-driven (except the accessories maybe). I like games with strategic elements and Chrono Trigger leaves very little room to come up with different strategies.

bomblord1

Banned
Might be some truth in this, but you also just have to be in that mindset that you are playing an old game. I played the PS1 Final Fantasy games around 2005 - 2007 and it took a bit of adjusting back to them, but once I did I had a lot of fun.

Same, DS copy was the first time I played it and I was completely hooked. I hear it is the best version since it doesn't have load times like the disc versions.

I've heard the same but I never heard loading times mentioned.

I try to be patient with games and not to expect instant gratification (I feel delayed gratification is better, more rewarding in the end, and is better on the end user for showing them they must do something to get something) but the internet has sort of spoiled me on this recently.

ys45

For me it is one of best RPG I played but I'm pretty sure if I played this game for the first time today I would not be as amazed by it as I was as a kid.

I feel like it's a game you had to play at the time and not today (for some players at least).
I replayed the DS version a few years back and I still liked the game a lot so it at least passed the test of time for me .

One thing is sure thought, the music of this game is awesome I still listen to it .

I played it for the first time a year or two ago... first game I played on my 3DS. I loved it. The atmosphere and the music especially. I thought the story was great as well. Combat was fine, and I really appreciated no random battles. I feel like that was probably a big deal in its time. I know there are alot of endings, but I was surprised that it only took me ~20-25 hours to beat. I assume I got the standard ending. Definitely in my top 5 JRPGs of all time.

canedaddy

I played it a couple of years ago and thought it was OK... definitely not on my list of favorite RPGs. Maybe you had to be there when it came out?

monlo

You're not a human if you don't like Chrono Trigger. What you need to do is tie down any demons with an Aura Whirl, and enjoy life in the Epoch like you never thought possible

Schryver

I started it about a month ago and havent had any motivation to go back after 4? hours. I got a Vita and PS3 at the same time so theres so much else I would rather play. Danganronpa is taking my time right now

wmlk

I like CT a lot. That doesn't mean it's not overhyped though. A game can be great and still be overhyped at the same time.

Saying the story in this game is bad compared to similar games today just doesn't make sense. It's simple and forgoes all of the fluff to deliver a pretty tight story.

You can point to many instances that this game has that newer games don't try to do story-wise.

Zukuu

Banned
The game is merely 'okay' by today's standard. It's not you. Nostalgia plays a huge role. Hell unless a game offers a great story and characters, it wont age well, with the exception if you play it purely for the gameplay. CT has neither above average.

clem84

Gold Member
There's not much you can do when you dislike a certain game, even if it just happens to be a classic that everybody else likes. I personally found Persona 4 to be incredibly boring. I won't even attempt to play it again. I'm not touching any persona game with a 10 foot pole from now on.

Chrono Trigger just clicked with me right away and I enjoyed the game all the way through. But if you're not having fun, I wouldn't advise to keep playing. If you'd be very close to the end, then I'd say make an effort and finish it but otherwise, move on to something else you'll most likely enjoy more.

You don't have to like it just because the Internet does.

post-29481-Ryan-from-The-Office-agrees-gi-1MNe.gif

Take a week off from consuming media and go into it with a fresh mind and ignore the hyperbole. See if the Internet opinion is clouding judgment.

"the game lacks depth in combat" ?????

This is incredibly true... Usually it's spam A for weak enemies, use one of your 8 spells for bosses, use triple techs when you're bored and want to see something flashy (or your healer has nothing to do for a turn).

I love CT to death, but you don't play CT for it's gameplay.

Raggie

I don't think there is, nor ever can be, a game that's going to be liked by everybody.

I know Chrono Trigger has been canonized as the best JRPG of all times, but it's still okay not to like it. It really is. I recently replayed it myself, and I found it to be a good but not fantastic. IMO a lot of the appreciation for it comes from nostalgia.

I find it really hard to get into as well. There's too much out there to play to worry about things you're not enjoying.

That said, of course, I still plan on soldiering through it as well. I'm hoping SE approved it for Wii U VC because I would be much more likely to get through it on the Gamepad than Wii mode for whatever reason.

I got the game in 1995 for SFC and remember not liking it THAT much. It was good but it failed to impress me as much as, say, FFV or VI. My friends also shared that feeling. I also remember my favourite french videogame magazine reviewing it and thinking it was a very good game but not one of square best. I was actually surprised to see how much praise the game actually got when the Internet came around !

Rad-

I have always felt it was a tad overrated. It does most stuff well but it never captivated me in a way that some other jrpgs did.

The Llama

I've tried a few times too, just don't really enjoy it. Took me a while to realize it's pretty much because I don't like JRPG's. Oh well.

vocab

Lol nostalgia argument. It holds up better than most games made in the last 10 years. People complain about lack of depth and complexity in a genre that never focus on depth and complexity. Yout want crazy mechanics in a jrpg? That's hilarious.

This isn't ultima 4 5 6 where its almost impossible to play those games. CTs accessibility is still leaps and bounds many classics. Is it perfect? No,but what game is? A perfect game doesn't exist. Its a flawed masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Its one of the most well made 16 bit RPGs, and only rivals ff6, and smrpg.

Rip square soft.

Ralemont

not me
I agree there's not much depth to the combat, but for how basic it is, everything it does works.

The story gets better at Zeal.

I don't think it's just a case of it being old as it contains few mechanics that are now seen as outdated. Random battles in particular are much less of a problem than in a game like Final Fantasy VI where it destroyed the experience for me.

I think the game is perfect for what it wants to do: be a mostly light-hearted time travel romp with accessible, well-done mechanics and charming characters.

Lol nostalgia argument. It holds up better than most games made in the last 10 years.

This isn't ultima 4 5 6 where its almost impossible to play those games. CTs accessibility is still leaps and bounds many classics. Is it perfect? No,but what game is? A perfect game doesn't exist. Its a flawed masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Its one of the most well made 16 bit RPGs, and only rivals ff6, and smrpg.

Rip square soft.

SMRPG was baby's first RPG.

I love the hell out of that game, but CT is more complex compared to SMRPG.

I've done a fair bit of research into Chrono Trigger (for obvious reasons) and I've played through it several times.

At the time, Chrono Trigger had amazing visuals that felt drastically better than the competition. The music was (and remains) one of the best soundtracks on the SNES. The game was paced quickly - you're rarely in one area for long before you get whisked to a new era, meet a new ally, get a new major story revelation, and so on. Having combat directly on the maps that you explored was huge at the time, as were multiple character unite techniques, and no random encounters. The characters were likeable (in large part due to their visual design) & the time travel plot was unique and led to some great optional quests. In short, it was the total package.

Going back to it now, not everything holds up as well as it once did. The graphics are still nice for a SNES game but you can see where they cut corners and reused map tiles for a lot of the less important areas. The combat which once felt so fast at the time seems downright slow compared to some newer games like the Etrian Odyssey series where you can blaze through moves in under a second. Likewise, the combat system seemed like it had great depth at the time thanks to the combo system, but then you realize that almost every single ability is just a straight damage or heal spell. There's next to no freedom over character development (just linear learning abilities & whatever equipment you choose to use). The story & characters just don't match up to some later games like the Persona games which have the benefit of much more dialogue & much higher quality localizations. And in general, the game veers towards the easy side (both in general difficulty and complexity) which is great if you're young or just starting RPGs, but not so great if you're an RPG veteran.

I still think it's a milestone in RPGs & there's fun to be had in playing it even today, but I can definitely see how it's not for everyone.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the DS version. Is that bad?

All good responses here. I'm going to keep playing. I'm not hating the game at all - maybe I was being too hard on it. Its just not holding my attention like I want it to and I'm not seeing any "greatness" other than the music. I don't have a problem going back to older games and enjoying them either.

I think it's just been so hyped as one of the greatest games ever so I'm coming into it with that mindset. That is usually a mistake. Games should ideally be enjoyed without predisposition.

It's interesting that people are saying they never had an issue figuring out what to do next. Maybe that's one area where I've just been spoiled by modern games with quest journals and waypoints. It hasn't happened yet on this playthrough, but in the past I would take a week or two break and come back and have no clue what I was doing. I would look at a FAQ to avoid just traveling to random places until I advanced the story.

The DS version is good. Anything but the PSX version and maybe some say mobile version. The PSX version has really bad loading that slows down everything.

You could be having problems because you take breaks. I find that as I get older and play more and more games I have problems returning to games and playing from where I left off. It's best if you could just play it through without talking long breaks if you can. It's not a long game anyway.

At the end of the day if you're not enjoying the game there's no reason to continue. Some games just aren't for you.

I played Cross before Trigger and I love both games. I don't think it's just nostalgia that makes one think that Trigger is good. It does a lot of things really well despite being uncomplicated. I like how it's not bogged down by a million systems. The characters and stories are also not excessively written nor too complicated. It also sticks to its time travel rules very well. The pacing is mostly excellent and the side quests are not the sort that are no longer done in RPGs these days. The game feels pretty well balanced and no grinding is required.

Haha, fair enough! Glad you were able to still like it.

Well, to be honest, I fully expect the quality to dip after the first few seasons, but it's still going strong.
I'm just starting Season 3 now (Amazon has them all out of order in their "seasons").

It helps that I'm a big fan of Twilight Zone and Outerlimits.

Blizzard

Banned
I got bogged down on the DS version in the really broken-down area. It seemed so slow and I guess I wasn't a big fan of the encounter system, even though you can avoid monsters sometimes.

Phatcorns

I think you really had to have played it at the time. I know you liked all those other great classic SNES RPGs, but you probably played them at that time. I think that's just how it works really.

Sciz

You're fine. The characters are thin and the combat's weak, so if the scenarios don't grab you, there's not much left to look forward to.

Just bought the PSone version. I've played literally every version of the game except for this one, and I'm afraid the loading times are going to kill my enjoyment.

I finished this year's play through on the PSone version (playing on Vita) a few weeks ago. Loved every minute of it. I was very patient with the loading to be honest (and it is somewhat annoying), but there is no way such a petty thing can kill your enjoyment if you really love the game.

adixon

I think you really had to have played it at the time. I know you liked all those other great classic SNES RPGs, but you probably played them at that time. I think that's just how it works really.

It's so odd that people always put out this theory in these discussions, even when it's been directly contradicted by other people earlier in the same thread.

Personally, I have multiple snes rpgs I discovered in the past decade which I loved, and my favorite game of all time is a PSone rpg I only discovered six or seven years ago. And I played a ton of games in the 16 bit era right around their release date.

I didn't play it back in the day, and it didn't have much of an effect on me when I did play it. I also don't get the love for the music, which I found to be mostly bland, but I tend to disagree with a lot of people when it comes to 'classic game opinions'. When it comes to non-FF Square games, I always preferred Secret of Mana.

Regginator3

Neo Member
I'm not that huge a fan. It's not that there's anything outright wrong with the game, I just don't find it as captivating as a lot of other JRPGs.

Tales of Phantasia on the other hand though...

Phatcorns

It's so odd that people always put out this theory in these discussions, even when it's been directly contradicted by other people earlier in the same thread.

Personally, I have multiple snes rpgs I discovered in the past decade which I loved, and my favorite game of all time is a PSone rpg I only discovered six or seven years ago. And I played a ton of games in the 16 bit era right around their release date.

Well, it's definitely true for me. So I think it's definitely possible for some people that this is just the case, even though there are plenty of people who aren't like this.

This is incredibly true... Usually it's spam A for weak enemies, use one of your 8 spells for bosses, use triple techs when you're bored and want to see something flashy (or your healer has nothing to do for a turn).

I love CT to death, but you don't play CT for it's gameplay.

There's definitely strategy. It's just that, being an RPG and all, strategy is meaningless in the face of overwhelming power.

I think the game's a masterpiece so it doesn't really make sense to me, but there's no game that appeals to absolutely everyone. It's fine if it isn't working for you, but I would recommend at least finishing it once as it isn't that long of a game, at least compared to many RPGs out there. Also the combat does get more interesting as the game goes on and you have more access to different special moves and all that, and there are a number of memorable boss fights that take a fair bit of effort. It's never all that difficult, but it does get more challenging for sure.

Beast780

You really needed to play it at the time. I don't feel the need to go back because I watched all of the GiantBomb endurance run featuring the late great Ryan Davis when they did it a couple of years ago.

petran79

Banned
I remember giving the game a try in early 2000 through emulation. Spent quite a lot of time but in the end it didnt manage to captivate me. While I liked the premise and the story aspects, the whole gameplay turned out very repetitive in the end. Same for Seiken Densetsu 3. Also tried the translated Eien no Filena.
It seems turn-based JRPGs are not for me.

Prefer action RPGs.

But I admit that this game belonged to an other era. Up till the late-90s you played consoles and computer games offline for long sessions without constant flow of information from the net.
You were just you and the game.

Trying to do the same at the start of the broadband internet age made the game much more difficult to play through

Top Bottom