• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not enjoying Chrono Trigger. What is wrong with me?

ajjow

well.. keep playing.

Thats all i can say.

I played this game for the first time on 2005, during ps2 era.

It's my most beloved rpg. Keep playing. Its not that long.

Try to get all the triple partners ability. Listen to the music.

Go slowly. If you wanna to finish the game already, it means u dont like RPGs. You're supposed to get lost. Dont feel ashamed.

If you think this is stupid, u wanna go killing everyone pretty fast, go play a shotter. Its not for you.

Kain

If 600 AD doesn't do it for you, nothing will.

Or 12000BC, that shit was (and still is) magical. No pun intended.

ChronoX

I've been trying to play Final Fantasy VIII since its release and I feel the same way. Bored to death. If the game is not for you or not capturing your attention then it might be best to move on. Also some games are experienced best in the time period they were released.

Muffdraul

Personally I find CT to be highly overrated, but it's still a very good game. Shame on you for failing to enjoy it!

adixon

Well, it's definitely true for me. So I think it's definitely possible for some people that this is just the case, even though there are plenty of people who aren't like this.

I completely agree with you -- I assume that if you could survey people who had just played the game when it first came out, and then also survey people playing the game right now, a higher percentage of the people who know nothing about games post-1995 would be impressed by the game than the people who are playing a 20 year old game.

This is probably true of pretty much any game, and even pretty much any song/movie right? It's generally easier to relate to things from your time. Fewer people are going to be impressed by graphics, design, the whole package, etc.

I just disagree with black-and-white generalized statements that directly contradict the other group of people you mentioned, statements like:

" It's mostly nostalgia that carries the game now."
"I think you really had to have played it at the time."

Anyway, I need to stop talking about this silliness and get back to work :)

This is such a great analysis article. Major spoilers for the entire game, of course but well worth reading if you've already played the game.

I know right! I wish there was more rpg analysis on that level. For a genre which so many people love above all others, it's always interesting how small a part of the development community seems to care about it. Or maybe that's just my incorrect perception? For anyone who hasn't read it, it's pretty cool, I promise, if you're into really in depth analysis of game design. It also talks about flaws of the game.

Blarg

Neo Member
The combat has more depth than you guys are giving it credit for. Use more dual/triple techs and mix up your team often. IMO it's one of the best turn-based systems out there, even by today's standards.

Also, the music. Still one of the best of all time.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time by several miles, but differing opinions and all that. You don't have to love or even like it just because a bunch of other people do; it's not a big deal. But don't mistake your personally not enjoying it for the game not having aged well. Not only are those completely different concepts, one is true and one is not.

Chrono Trigger hasn't aged even a bit. It's just as peerless today as it was in 1995.

well.. keep playing.

Thats all i can say.

I played this game for the first time on 2005, during ps2 era.

It's my most beloved rpg. Keep playing. Its not that long.

Try to get all the triple partners ability. Listen to the music.

Go slowly. If you wanna to finish the game already, it means u dont like RPGs. You're supposed to get lost. Dont feel ashamed.

If you think this is stupid, u wanna go killing everyone pretty fast, go play a shotter. Its not for you.

But I DO like RPGs, as I have mentioned. Western and Japanese. Old and new. And I would prefer to go slowly, explore, plan a strategy, find a different way to approach a scenario, etc. But there is very little of that to be had in CT. I can't fairly fault the game for that though - not many games were like that back then.

MaddenNFL64

I fucking love this game, but it is 20 years old. The combat system, the music, the "Crono gonna save the fuckin' world!" story is unforgettable for me. But it is old. So, don't blame ya.

If you continue to play, make sure to use your techs, mix em up with different characters for new combos, and swap people out for new experiences.

adixon

But I DO like RPGs, as I have mentioned. Western and Japanese. Old and new. And I would prefer to go slowly, explore, plan a strategy, find a different way to approach a scenario, etc. But there is very little of that to be had in CT. I can't fairly fault the game for that though - not many games were like that back then.

I think you've been bringing up an interesting point, which is that in terms of both challenge and character customization, chrono trigger is below average for a snes rpg.

RPGs do so many different things as a genre that sometimes a game that's often considered one of the best of all time still doesn't push any buttons for someone who's looking for specific things within the genre, and falls completely flat. That said, there are a few things later on in Chrono Trigger that contribute to making it memorable as a game that did some unique things well.

The game blew people away 20 years ago. Like a lot of games from that era, it's just hard to go back and get into them. Without any nostalgia factor, even the best games of the era are impossible for many people to get into today.

I'm having a hard time completing old JRPGs also. I used to love them. I've recently stopped in the middle of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV complete and Breath of Fire 4. The only JRPGs that have held my interest since I bought my 360 are Final Fantasy IX and Suikoden 2.

Ishida

Banned
I'm having a hard time completing old JRPGs also. I used to love them. I've recently stopped in the middle of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV complete and Breath of Fire 4. The only JRPGs that have held my interest since I bought my 360 are Final Fantasy IX and Suikoden 2.

You are a monster.

inki

I loved it back in the day, played the hell out of it. I LOVED RPG's. Period. However at some point (after FF7) I quit playing them. I get bored and just can't bring myself to play them to completion. I think back with such fondness on them though. *sigh* Growing up sucks.

Lothar

Banned
I'm attempting to play through Chrono Trigger for probably the third time. I am determined to finish it this time after stopping twice sometime shortly after reaching that city
in the sky
. I am now 65 million BC or whatever, looking for
some red rock to fix the Masamune

And this is where I start to lose interest. It's not that anything really captivated me in the first place, it's just that it's been like 7 hours without any challenge or anything interesting happening in the story. I know it gets more challenging later because I've been there, but the game lacks depth in combat and while the premise of the story is great it's pretty lacking in execution. It can also be extremely unclear where you are supposed to go or what your options are to advance the story at times (more so later in the game), which can be really frustrating when you put the game down for a few days or weeks and try to pick it back up.

Why do people love this game so much? The one thing I love is the music. It's actually what drove me to pick it up again. But that can't keep me going for 30-40 hours or whatever. What am I missing here? Does the combat get amazing late in the game? Is there some groundbreaking mechanic I haven't experienced yet?

I genuinely WANT to like this game. I missed it as a kid (despite loving FFIV, VI, and Secret of Mana) and always wanted to play it. Maybe it just hasn't aged that well?

If you want something a little deeper and not as lighthearted with the same great style of music, try Xenogears.

Chrono Trigger's strengths are it's simplicity, lightheartedness, and charm. The game just constantly wants to put you in a good mood. Even when you're on trial and going to be put to death, it makes you laugh at the callbacks, the unfairness, and the facial expressions. It's not going to challenge you or frustrate you in any way. If this was a Final Fantasy game, I would have a problem with that like I do with FF VI, but with CT it's never as bad because the battles aren't random, they're so fast, and additionally it's a lot more fun to have characters combine with each others than just to watch them do their own thing over and over again. All the little things that don't have to be in the game but are like the mini-games in the Millenial Fair add to the charm. Same goes for the different endings. The game doesn't have to have them but it's sweet that you can alter the story. The personalities of Robo, Ayla, and Frog makes me smile just thinking of them and remembering some of their expressions and quirks. It's fun to see what changes in the past have ramifications in the future. Both major and minor. Of course it also has one of the best soundtracks in gaming, which makes every area of the game pleasant to be in. I don't see anything about any of that that could have possibly aged.

On the contrary, it's really weird that not many games copied CT's gameplay and it's sad for me that not many RPGs after it are as fast or as enjoyable. Even it's sequel took gigantic steps backwards by making battles random that take you to a different screen and not having barely any double and triple techs. Everyone should have copied what CT did, but even the same developer team didn't. They got it right once and then inexplicably changed it.

Jashobeam

It probably would help to play a bunch of other classic games from that era beforehand, immerse yourself in the time period and avoid modern games for a while. I'd recommend going on a SNES binge of Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Zelda: LTTP, FF2-FF3 (aka IV, VI).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game wasn't for me, either. I can acknowledge it's an excellent game, but just not my type.

She has a great personality though.

Flip4k

I also attempted to play it multiple times, finally finishing it when it came out on the DS. While I liked it, I definitely didn't get that engrossed feeling that I get for games that I really enjoy. Perhaps some of that has to do w/ the huge pressure to play the game, I felt like I HAD to beat it instead of wanting to.

terrisus

ywAT9ix.gif

To be fair, 65,000,000BC and 2300AD are the worst time periods.
I still like them, just not as much as the others.

Just work your way through it so you can get on with other stuff, basically :þ

Top Bottom