• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm pretty sure I just had the shittiest party experience

Silvard

"Jonathan explicitly told me that I like to explain everything that I'm trying to do when I went with him to get more drinks."

He explains what was said to him. This whole back-and-forth in your head about "be more illogical like us other blacks" in your what-if scenario is literally you filling in the blanks of the conversation.

I infer that your strawman game is old. Their skin color has no bearing on their shitty behavior. Keep up the baseless reasoning for why this is OP's fault.

You're being a bit obtuse here.

The OP literally said "After a while, Danny and Jonathan come together and start talking about me and how I'm not really black because I'm​ proper speaking and pretty logical. "

Would that really not strike you as weird coming from black people? Black people questioning other's blackness because they're pretty logical?

If they were white then it's just regular old racism, but coming from black people it would be remarkably strange. Surely you can see that much.

I'm not casting judgement upon the OP or anything of the sort, but I do find this odd.

I infer that your strawman game is old. Their skin color has no bearing on their shitty behavior. Keep up the baseless reasoning for why this is OP's fault.
Lol are you black?

Never said it was op's fault. It's the guys fault. I see you don't wanna get called out on your colorblindness in situations dealing with race tho.
Keep up the false belief that racist statements hold the same connotations If spoken by a black man vs a white man.

My one and only point is a black man didn't say or imply that op is too logical to be black. Which is why he walked it back in my first post. Idc about any other argument.

It's ok to say your not black by the way. It doesn't invalidate your opinion totally. It just helps frame your colorblind stance on this very racial issue.

The OP literally said "After a while, Danny and Jonathan come together and start talking about me and how I'm not really black because I'm​ proper speaking and pretty logical. "

Would that really not strike as weird coming from black people? Black people questioning other's blackness because they're pretty logical?

If they were white then it's just regular old racism, but coming from black people it would be remarkably strange. Surely you can see that much.

I'm not casting judgement upon the OP or anything of the sort, but I do find this odd.

I think OP generalized what was said to him, and that despite their skin color and the degree of strangeness that might have stemmed from it, this is more about people acting shitty towards another person.

I think OP generalized what was said to him, and that despite their skin color and the degree of strangeness that might have stemmed from it, this is more about people acting shitty towards another person.
Fuck that " more about person to person" colorblind nonsense. This issue is literally about his blackness. Race is 100000% important to it. Usually white ppl are the ones who can't grasp that.

Edit: also yea op did generalize what was said and somehow got that he is too logical to be black which these guys didn't say. Him feeling or thinking that leads me to believe he does think of himself as better even if only a little bit. How else would he get to that conclusion. They said I'm quirky and explain to much I must be too logical to these negroes. -_-

luchadork

i think youre trying too hard to be smart. OP mentioned race quite a few times in his post. skin colour changes the context of what was said to him. time for you to let it go.

Silvard

It's really not. Not when they're questioning his blackness. That changes the nature of their shitty behavior in a way that makes their own race extremely relevant.

What could they have said that the OP generalized into him being too logical to be black? This could do with a little clarifying from the OP. Otherwise a generalization like that says more about how the OP sees himself than what they actually said.

i think youre trying too hard to be smart. OP mentioned race quite a few times in his post. skin colour changes the context of what was said to him. time for you to let it go.
I said this a hour ago. He doesn't care about that apparently. This is a colorblind situation you see.

Goddamn thank you to the post above me. Jesus felt like I was talking to a wall.

Ivan 3414

I mean they sound shitty and all and GAF will always side with you in such threads but that's just one side of the story. These things are never that clear and you've probably done things to annoy them in the past as well.

The fact that you needed to create a thread to rant about what seems like relatively small social issues that people do experience from time to time and also being a drama queen about it by calling it "the shittiest party experience" is quite indicative that you're not the most fun guy to be around.

All I'm saying is, some self reflection from time to time is never a bad idea and perhaps, sometimes the problem is with you and not everyone else around you.That's fine. I'm a huge asshole and I make thing difficult for other people all the damn time. But at least, I am aware of it and I am honest about it LOL.

lmao.

Fuck that " more about person to person" colorblind nonsense. This issue is literally about his blackness. Race is 100000% important to it. Usually white ppl are the ones who can't grasp that.

Edit: also yea op did generalize what was said and somehow got that he is too logical to be black which these guys didn't say. Him feeling or thinking that leads me to believe he does think of himself as better even if only a little bit. How else would he get to that conclusion. They said I'm quirky and explain to much I must be too logical to these negroes. -_-

Man, I don't much appreciate this colorblind thing. I'm half Irish half Mexican living in Texas and I've gotten race crap from both sides. I'm not trying to downplay the importance of race in this scenario, since it is the second thing in the OP, and obvious that the situation stemmed from it. My assertion is that the actions of his club mates were equally despicable despite that. Sorry for saying you were attacking the OP, I mistook your questioning of his story to be a defense of his clubmates shitty actions, which was apparently not the case. Seems to me we're in agreement on the meat of the story.

Ivan 3414

These sorts of topics are always interesting because there's always a select few people who stay drilling OP's story for ways to fault him. lmao.

Demy

NO. Op has no obligation to bang or go home with someone he doesn't like. No one does.
YES. It's ok if he doesn't want his night to end with sex. That preference is personal as fuck.

Sorry you had to go through that "you're not ethnic enough to be one of us" bullshit. Like Messofanego said, it happens too often in minority communities.
"You don't talk like us"
"Why you gotta act white" and a whole bunch of other heinous self-hating bullshit.

Seeing as how one of the guys spreading that homophobic and racist crap also crashed into the host's vehicle and ran off, I'm guessing he's an overall piece of shit. Not sure how you're feeling but I hope you're not stressing it too much.

Man, I don't much appreciate this colorblind thing. I'm half Irish half Mexican living in Texas and I've gotten race crap from both sides. I'm not trying to downplay the importance of race in this scenario, since it is the second thing in the OP, and obvious that the situation stemmed from it. My assertion is that the actions of his club mates were equally despicable despite that. Sorry for saying you were attacking the OP, I mistook your questioning of his story to be a defense of his clubmates shitty actions, which was apparently not the case. Seems to me we're in agreement on the meat of the story.
No problem man. Sorry if I came off hostile I've just had my fill of ppl claiming racist ass incidents aren't about race. I see what you were saying and yea we largely agree. I just find the race part to be more important to the issue then the guys being fuckboys. Which they obviously are. Seems like both OP and those guys have some race related issues to work out.

No problem man. Sorry if I came off hostile I've just had my fill of ppl claiming racist ass incidents aren't about race. I see what you were saying and yea we largely agree. I just find the race part to be more important to the issue then the guys being fuckboys. Which they obviously are. Seems like both OP and those guys have some race related issues to work out.

We're all good, dude. I enjoy a lively debate and this was a good one, and an even better one that we came to an understanding with each other!

tumblr_lmputme3co1qa60bjdr.jpg

ito007

I mean, one of them literally hit the other with his car and drove off. Clearly, they weren't in their right minds, nor are they people you would want to associate with.

MsKrisp

ITT: illogical argument about logicalness

That was really shitty OP, but the shittiest party experience? I'm sure it could have been worse.

And damn y'all, not every dude wants free sex from a girl who's probably an asshole too

M52B28

Banned
Passed out in my car.

I don't know why some of you think I'm lying. I've known these people for about a year almost. I've been through multiple classes with them and have spoke to them quite a bit.

It's not like they're strangers, in some ways. They know part of me and how I work. When working on club projects and things, they would sometimes just sit and laugh at me while I try to explain something as if they don't take me serious.

I'm sorry if I can't explain everything, that would take me all day. Just understand that I'm not making things up and that what happened at this party is them trying to fuck with my head.

Unless they try to physically fight me, I'm not going to even bother with confrontation.

As I might have mentioned, the "pretty logical" in my post isn't me trying to say I'm better. I'm going off of what the folks have said to me that night and the times before. Even Danny, one of the assholes mentioned that he liked my logic and he wanted me to come to the club meetings, which I did before I started to get bad vibes from him and his friend Jonathan.

Also, this whole "you're not black" shit slid over to this woman that I know. She's pretty fair skinned and Danny walks up to her in her car, flashes my really bright flashlight in her eyes and starts talking shit to her then tells her to stop acting white or some stupid shit.

Passed out in my car.

I don't know why some of you think I'm lying. I've known these people for about a year almost. I've been through multiple classes with them and have spoke to them quite a bit.

It's not like they're strangers, in some ways. They know part of me and how I work. When working on club projects and things, they would sometimes just sit and laugh at me while I try to explain something as if they don't take me serious.

I'm sorry if I can't explain everything, that would take me all day. Just understand that I'm not making things up and that what happened at this party is them trying to fuck with my head.

Unless they try to physically fight me, I'm not going to even bother with confrontation.

As I might have mentioned, the "pretty logical" in my post isn't me trying to say I'm better. I'm going off of what the folks have said to me that night and the times before. Even Danny, one of the assholes mentioned that he liked my logic and he wanted me to come to the club meetings, which I did before I started to get bad vibes from him and his friend Jonathan.

I'd just cut them out of my life, don't need to waste time with assholes. Sorry that people are doubting your stories, some people here are just too cynical.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I'd just cut them out of my life, don't need to waste time with assholes. Sorry that people are doubting your stories, some people here are just too cynical.

As many have suggested. The OP should not focus on the "some who think I'm lying".

Take the good advice and don't think of confrontation or changing these people. They aren't friends.

Oxn

ITT: illogical argument about logicalness

That was really shitty OP, but the shittiest party experience? I'm sure it could have been worse.

And damn y'all, not every dude wants free sex from a girl who's probably an asshole too

why is she probably an asshole too?

I'm not even sure what I did wrong here.
Absolutely nothing, you kept your cool and let others embarrass themselves with potential legal consequences. Unfortunately, that's about the norm for ninety percent of adult gatherings involving alcohol- so many people not only cannot drink safely, but morph into ugly cunt cesspools of humanity's lowest attributes as well.

Ignore it and just go to a bar next time! It'll probably be friendlier. Leave an hour or so before last call.

Mesoian

OP, I didn't have time for this nonsense when I was in African American youth groups and I doubt you do either. People who jump to yelling "uncle tom" because how light skinned you may be are just dealing with their own inferiority complexes in the most destructive way possible.

Drop'em.

That what people do at parties.

I don't know what parties you go to, but if someone grabs my junk without me showing clear signs of wanting that, I'll forget myself.

Like, I'm usually not a "what if a man did it" kinda guy, but I think it's appropriate when it comes to what I would call an unwanted sexual advance.
Would you really say the same thing if a guy grabbed a girl out of the blue?
Power dynamics and privilege be damned, doesn't matter if you're someone being fondled against your will.

I was going to post about the party I went to where they were only playing Phil Collins music and the only girl was there with her two brothers, but after reading the OP I'll just say those people are not your friends and may in fact actively hate you. Stop hanging out with them.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Would that really not strike you as weird coming from black people? Black people questioning other's blackness because they're pretty logical?

So I'm black, I guess. I say 'I guess' because all my life, I have been constantly told by people that I'm not 'really' black. You think this was all from non black people? Do you know the kind of shit reasoning people have given me for not being black?

So I'm black, I guess. I say 'I guess' because all my life, I have been constantly told by people that I'm not 'really' black. You think this was all from non black people? Do you know the kind of shit reasoning people have given me for not being black?

If it's not too intrusive to ask, could you elaborate?
As someone who is as removed as possible from any scenario like that, I really can't fathom what might make a black person say that.

Two Words

I've had black people make fun of me for being of direct African descent. My parents were born in an African country and moved here. They would make jokes about me being a slave. I had to explain to these black people that their family background likely comes from slaves, not mine. So yes, black people too can be ignorant idiots when it comes to race.

qcf x2

Did I say he lied? He probably misunderstood. College educated black kids aren't yelling out " your too logical !!! Be more illogical like the rest of us blacks!" I don't have to be there to know this.

Yes they are. "College educated" doesn't mean shit, sorry to burst your bubble. It doesn't magically make people less jerks, assholes, excluding of others, judgmental, or flat-out wrong. I don't know where some of you live, but what OP is describing is not at all foreign. Happens all the time, the Carlton gif /scenario sums it up quite nicely: there's real, stated and sometimes enforced pressure to "be black" or "act black" as if being black by birth isn't enough.

They sound like weirdos to be avoided OP.

I was going to post about the party I went to where they were only playing Phil Collins music and the only girl was there with her two brothers, but after reading the OP I'll just say those people are not your friends and may in fact actively hate you. Stop hanging out with them.

I kind of want more details about this Phil Collins party.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
As someone who is as removed as possible from any scenario like that, I really can't fathom what might make a black person say that.
I got a lot of it from Friends since grade school/early high school who told me I wasn't very black because of my music choices, or the clothes I wore. Got it from my older sister a lot for the way I talk, mostly 'why do you have to talk like white people?' sort of stuff. I've had people argue about the difference of black vs African a lot. I've had a lot of jokes that come from well meaning people who don't 'get' it, and I've had a lot of condemnation too.

It happens a lot to some people, I'm definitely not the only black guy on GAF who's had this.

For the record, Jonathan rolled his Ford Explorer into the European guy's​ Infinity G35 and did a hit and run. Danny was drinking and driving and I don't know what happened to him.

Wait, was this after the party? o_O

akira28

lol it sounds like I would want to drink more and then bring a burning chainsaw to that party. So many loose threads to pull on. Where do any of these people get off?

Did they just invite you to yell at you?

even the girl was on some fake ass bullshit. people don't act like that if they're interested in you, I think they were all trying to fuck with you for reasons. The old "I think he's an alien, lets mess with him" treatment.

someone feels threatened by you, and the rest of them are go-along idiots not really worth your time. I'd drop the club and maybe more.

I got a lot of it from Friends since grade school/early high school who told me I wasn't very black because of my music choices, or the clothes I wore. Got it from my older sister a lot for the way I talk, mostly 'why do you have to talk like white people?' sort of stuff. I've had people argue about the difference of black vs African a lot. I've had a lot of jokes that come from well meaning people who don't 'get' it, and I've had a lot of condemnation too.

It happens a lot to some people, I'm definitely not the only black guy on GAF who's had this.
Have you seen the movie Dope? That goes quite a bit into the main character being a nerdy hipster-ish black guy and feeling excluded from others.

_Ryo_

I'm biracial white mom/black father. Plenty of times during school life people said I "wasnt black enough", yes, even other black people, for a variety of reasons from liking to write and tk read a lot, esp horror stories by Lovecraft, King, Poe, and liking poetry Dickenson, Frost, etc, to judging me based on musical taste, liking rock music more so than the music they personally liked. It is a weird and stressful experience.

Top Bottom