• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised Sony doesn't have a first party AA/AAA level JRPG presently

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony is focusing their JRPG efforts on the market that counts. Just look where Wild Arms and Arc the Lad are going to be. I applaud them for having foresight and knowing the actual audience for these games rather than listening to idealistic fanboy requests wanting these games on "real" gaming platforms.

:)

I didn't know mods could be so trollish and mean ;_;

DocSeuss

bloodborne is one of the best japanese rpgs this generation

an rpg made in japan is not a jrpg

I will never understand how people don't understand this. Even if you assume JRPGs are a subgenre of RPG, it's still hard to deny that there are a bunch of checkboxes that JRPGs tend to hit, and no other game hits this, not even other RPGs.

Inuhanyou

an rpg made in japan is not a jrpg

Yes it is, let's not go through this stupid discussion over some people's arbitrary check list of things needing to apply a category of game.

And to begin with, he said japanese RPG in the first place. Its correct any way you look at it.

Strings

These were just a google search away, and it isn't exhaustive either.

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Valkyria Revolution
Tales of Berseria
Digimon World: Next Order
God Wars: Future Past
NieR Automata
Super Robot Wars V
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Summon Night 6
Atelier Firis
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Persona 5
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Rainbow Skies

Bro, you're missing Nights of Azure 2.

It makes sense why they don't, for the reasons listed here, both in terms of "free" 3rd-party exclusives and duckroll's sins of Japan.

But I really wish they did invest in one.

Even though WKC was hot garbage, I really liked the ambition in that product and I want more investment towards games of that scale, and I have little faith in most Japanese publishers to be willing to invest huge sums into a high-production JRPG these days.

Shu Yoshida, please prove me wrong. I don't need to be an internally developed game, ( Japan Studio's capacity to make one is questionable anyway), but I would love to see a studio with the talent for it get a good budget to make a JRPG with AAA production values.

Inuhanyou

Ahaha, I was just poking fun at Nights of Azure 2 being listed twice, but this is new to me. Are we actually getting Ex+? That would be awesome.

Not confirmed yet buuuut

vxcLih2.png

Vinc

They have the cinematic, story-driven genre down to a T, and they're basically alone on that front. They also have non-JRPG japanese artsy games, while the JRPG genre is filled by others like Level-5 with Ni No Kuni. I feel that Sony is doing very good on pretty much every front this gen. Good representation in every genre and quality over quantity. I could use a little more quantity to be honest, but I can't complain too much.

duckroll

It makes sense why they don't, for the reasons listed here, both in terms of "free" 3rd-party exclusives and duckroll's sins of Japan.

Even though WKC was hot garbage, I really liked the ambition in that product and I want more investment towards games of that scale, and I have little faith in most Japanese publishers to be willing to invest huge sums into a high-production JRPG these days.

Shu Yoshida, please prove me wrong. I don't need to be an internally developed game, ( Japan Studio's capacity to make one is questionable anyway), but I would love to see a studio with the talent for it get a good budget to make a JRPG with AAA production values.

Well, I mean honestly, in a non-troll way, what options do you think they have here? If we're talking about a real big AAA JRPG on the scale of say FF and DQ, who would make it? Japan Studio isn't going to make such a game internally, and I don't think we want them to try. It would have to be a partner studio. I certainly don't want a Level5 JRPG. Most of the studios like Media Vision and Alfa Systems who used to make JRPGs for Japan Studio are not really what you might call AAA studios today. They could put out a good Vita-tier JRPG with the right budget and direction, but on PS4? I dunno.

jayu26

External development still ties up money. They are covered on JRPG front for now. They are better off spending on games like Gravity Rush, TLG, Bloodborne and Knack. Yes, Knack. They need more kid friendly game and a Knack sequel is the cheapest way to get that in 2016 for them. It is also a cheap bundle fodder for family friendly bundles.

I also refuse to believe that some of you clamouring for more JPRG have enough time to play all the JRPGs that have come out and are coming out for PS4. Those thinks are huge time sinks.

klee123

They really should consider doing this mainly because:

1. Due to the PC market being more and more prominent, third parties will no longer ignore it and will do PC ports which will eat into the PS4 JRPG sales in the west.

2. They need to take cues from Nintendo and have multiple established series like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade which cannot be found anywhere else in order to attract more of the JRPG demographic to buy their console.

If there is one thing Nintendo does better than Sony at this point is that their exclusives games stay exclusive and the sales of their first party Jrpgs reflect on that fact.

They really should consider doing this mainly because:

1. Due to the PC market being more and more prominent, third parties will no longer ignore it and will do PC ports which will eat into the PS4 JRPG sales in the west.

2. They need to take cues from Nintendo and have multiple established series like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade which cannot be found anywhere else in order to attract more of the JRPG demographic to buy their console.

If there is one thing Nintendo does better than Sony at this point is that their exclusives games stay exclusive and the sales of their first party Jrpgs reflect on that fact.

I don't think there is that sizable of a JRPG demographic anymore, and the few that are left seem to have already moved to PS4.

Well, I mean honestly, in a non-troll way, what options do you think they have here? If we're talking about a real big AAA JRPG on the scale of say FF and DQ, who would make it? Japan Studio isn't going to make such a game internally, and I don't think we want them to try. It would have to be a partner studio. I certainly don't want a Level5 JRPG. Most of the studios like Media Vision and Alfa Systems who used to make JRPGs for Japan Studio are not really what you might call AAA studios today. They could put out a good Vita-tier JRPG with the right budget and direction, but on PS4? I dunno.

Honestly? I don't know. Part of me still wonders that whether or not there is an opportunity for tri-Ace and Media Vision to actually make AAA-calibre games if they were given 4-5 years instead of 2 years, and 5-10x more than their usual budget where selling several hundred thousand copies in Japan are usually enough to recoup dev cost.

Star Ocean 5 and the upcoming Valkyria ain't doing a good job of reaffirming that concern, but Japan is also a development scene where I'm less familiar with the shadow developers like ORCA that can be a development studio for a mainline DQ game on PS4.

I'm not saying with well-informed thoughts here, more hopes & dreams.

External development still ties up money. They are covered on JRPG front for now. They are better off spending on games like Gravity Rush, TLG, Bloodborne and Knack. Yes, Knack. They need more kid friendly game and a Knack sequel is the cheapest way to get that in 2016 for them. It is also a cheap bundle fodder for family friendly bundles.

I also refuse to believe that some of you clamouring for more JPRG have enough time to play all the JRPGs that have come out and are coming out for PS4. Those thinks are huge time sinks.

Here's the thing.
I'm not necessarily speaking rationally.

As a fan of video games and someone who enjoys observing the business, I have an appreciation when seemingly irrational business decisions are taken for the betterment of a library, portfolio, etc.

Investing in Knack 2 is probably a smarter choice than a Media.Vision JRPG. But with first-party investment, I come to hope that there are a little bit of less smart decisions.

The game ain't out yet and jury is on quality, but from observation "dreams" remain the most "thank you for funding this madness" game that on a personal level, I would say is utterly crazy and I want to see more of.

AAA first-party JRPG ain't as crazy as dreams, but it's up there in terms of "that'd be cool."

Sony is focusing their JRPG efforts on the market that counts. Just look where Wild Arms and Arc the Lad are going to be. I applaud them for having foresight and knowing the actual audience for these games rather than listening to idealistic fanboy requests wanting these games on "real" gaming platforms.

:)

do we know anymore new info about those mobile reboots? like if it's gonna be more traditional rpg with new characters and story or if it's gonna be more compilation gacha games using characters from the series?

anyway, I hope those got english localization since I'd like to at least try them.

Not yet. maybe in a few months, or maybe at TGS this year.

looking forward to see how that turn out. I know the most obvious choice seems to be another gacha games where you collect characters from the whole series. but I honestly don't think the franchise is big enough to draw people to it from characters alone.

and Sony going after the original team for this give me the impression that this is another Sony's effort to get nostalgia attention. so maybe it's gonna be something a little more traditional.

Arzehn

Sony should get Eiichiro Oda to work on a JRPG franchise with Sony Japan.

Boom. That ones free Sony, you know how to get in touch with me for more hot tips- gonna cost ya though.

Japan Studio has been through turmoil for about 10 years without a clear sense of direction. They farmed out White Knight Chronicles to Level-5 which was critically lukewarm and commercially didn't seem to do much. They revived Oreshika... on Vita, and somehow managed to screw it up by making it frustrating to fans who played the originals.

Not like they've not tried at least a little.

AA/AAA JRPG's seem to be falling by the wayside anyway. Unless you're a name with a lot of nostalgia attached you don't seem to be able to do much. Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Tales all thrive on being franchises with a lot of history. Even more niche stuff like Atelier has been around for decades.

And even then, while Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy continue to demand high budgets, the mid-tier stuff keeps shrinking and shrinking. Tales games now seem to be given peanuts for budgets compared to the Vesperia days (though MS probably helped with that). Star Ocean V clearly had nothing to work on. SaGa was revived and made on Unity without voice acting.

I wouldn't say it's a particularly healthy market by any stretch unless you're a niche developer making games for a specific group of people. Falcom do well with Legend of Heroes, but I wouldn't say that was AA/AAA by any stretch.

Legend of Heroes surpasses the last 15 years worth of JRPGs in almost every aspect. Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 and I can personally say that I haven't seen a better story or more likeable characters since Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.

Talon

[QUOTE="D";228110872]True but that didn't stop them from dropping LOD back when JRPGs were in abundance. I know its a different climate financially and demand wise but I think even if they remade LOD or did a sequel, without risking bank on a brand new IP, it would do pretty good[/QUOTE]
Legend of Dragoon is an absolutely awful game. Why did you buy that instead of Mana, Chrono Cross, FF Anthology, DQ, literally anything else?

Even Rings of Fate isn't as shitty.

wmlk

Personally I don't think Studio Japan is very talented at all, so I don't want I'd be interested in playing something internal from them. They're good at making smaller, more unique games.

Inuhanyou

Personally I don't think Studio Japan is very talented at all, so I don't want I'd be interested in playing something internal from them. They're good at making smaller, more unique games.

Gravity Ruhs 2 and TLG are not examples of them being talented?

Still waiting for that Legend of Dragoon 2 announcement Sony.............................

LOD2 was already in development at one point and was canceled

wmlk

Gravity Ruhs 2 and TLG are not examples of them being talented?

It was with regards to making a big AAA JRPG. So yeah, I don't think they have the talent to make that kind of game. Who is even going to direct something like that anyway? They're better at making more unique games like GR and TLG, but I haven't been interested in a AAA RPG from Sony Japan.

Inuhanyou

It was with regards to making a big AAA JRPG. So yeah, I don't think they have the talent to make that kind of game. Who is even going to direct something like that anyway? They're better at making more unique games like GR and TLG, but I haven't been interested in a AAA RPG from Sony Japan.

Oh, well that's obviously debatable. I was just responding to you because it sounded like you were saying they just didn't know how to make games in general

saturnine

Legend of Heroes surpasses the last 15 years worth of JRPGs in almost every aspect. Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 and I can personally say that I haven't seen a better story or more likeable characters since Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.

Let's not get crazy here. It's not a bad game by any means, but it does have some flaws, the big one being the pacing of its story.

wmlk

And yeah, when I said smaller games...GR2 and TLG aren't AAA games like FFXV or how I feel about P5. TLG is obviously expensive but the scope isn't massive like a big AAA JRPG would entail.

Dragun619

Sony should get Eiichiro Oda to work on a JRPG franchise with Sony Japan.

Boom. That ones free Sony, you know how to get in touch with me for more hot tips- gonna cost ya though.

Man, Oda only needs to just focus on delivering One Piece manga.

I mean, I guess, if it's like Akira Toriyama/Dragon Quest situation, but even then. If we get more weekly breaks from One PIece. Omg.

Papacheeks

Banned
Legend of Dragoon is an absolutely awful game. Why did you buy that instead of Mana, Chrono Cross, FF Anthology, DQ, literally anything else?

Even Rings of Fate isn't as shitty.

I ....bought..... all of those?!!!

And beat all of them.

To each their own I guess, Legend of dragoon doesn't deserve the hate it gets, fucking love that game.

CCIE

Banned
I'd like to see Sony develop their own JRPG again, but I'm not sure it's necessary either. They have plenty, and don't really need one

Top Bottom