• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm TERRIBLE at SFV, yet I LOVE watching CPT, Evo, etc. Any other GAFers like this?

I'm awful at starcraft 2, only ever ranked in gold, but I love watching it. Same with fighting games.

I do find it helpful to at least have played through the game you watch tho. Helps with knowing characters, moves, and some terminology. Definitely not impossible to watch with no experience, but I find it makes the viewer learning curve easier.

Roxkis_ii

I don't care to watch high level street fighter, because I find it boring, but I used to watch MvC 3 all that time. Its entertaining seeing how broken the combos are. I would never touch the game for the same reason tho.

ArjanN

It's the same with the Olympics, or are you gonna tell me people watch that in droves because they missed out on qualifying by this much?

This, also, much like regular sports, just because you're not at an olympic level doesn't mean you can't enjoy playing. Almost no-one is at that level.

Even if you're "terrible" the best you can do is try and learn what you can from streams

Obviously you're not gonna pick up execution but you try and pick up on general strategies

I'm never going to be someone who counts frames and becomes a technical monster but I'm at least trying to play more patiently and break the habit of rushing in and doing stupid shit, because it almost always leads to complete failure. That and basic short combo strings just so you actually have something once you get in

The only bummer about being a generally Bronze player in SFV is you're in the middle ground of people who just spam dragon punch and people in the Super/Ultra tiers who have generally enough of an understanding to destroy lesser players (while I'd wager they crumble just as easily against real-ass players)

Just gotta strive to get better, if you want to. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with just enjoying watching fighting games. It's the spectacle of anime combined with the hype of wrestling in actual competition

I absolutely love watching fighting game tourneys. If there is a major, I will go out of my way to make time to watch it. This weekly E-League SF tournament has also been great.

But I also recognize that I'm not too great at most fighting games these days. Like with Street Fighter 5 I'm not good in the slightest (I'm low Bronze at best), but at the same time, I've only been playing SF for less than a year, so I don't expect to be good. I definitely want to get better though.

Really, the only fighting series I've ever been "good" at is Smash Bros. and I'm still not even close to tournament level.

I also want to get decent at Tekken as well, but who knows if I can pull that off.

I will say watching tournaments has definitely helped for all fighting games I play. You start to pick up on things as you watch more.

Preyter

Neo Member
As someone who can't play League even the slightest bit but closely follows the LCS very I can relate to this. I also really enjoy competitive fighting games a lot and follow quite a few and I feel like these kinds of games just really lend themselves to being spectated. Even if you don't get all the little details you can get a full grasp of what is happening really easily.

Crayon

I'm bad at sfv but I love spectating. Sometimes I get inspired watching a good match and I log on to to play.

Sayad

GAMERBEE VERSUS INFILTRATION JESUS CHRIST

One for the ages:
healing_trouble_evo2015_by_r_chie-d93l92t.jpg

Between this and Woshige moment you really don't have to understand fighting games to get what's going on. Something much harder to find in other esport games.

Top Bottom