• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm torn between 2 games and looking for recommendations.

DosGamer

So as the title says, I am torn between 2 newly release games.

Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of Ronin

Both games give me the meat of what I want in a game, but of the two... I am looking to see which one offers more in the end.

I want my playthrough to be my own individual story. In other words, I want my experience to differ from every other players. I want to find items and weapons that people can play the game forever and still never potentially see.
I want some world ownership where I have a place to call my own and can upgrade it how I see fit... like a house or small village.
I want activities to keep me busy instead of just doing mission after mission. Are there things to keep me busy?
Treasure to hunt? Secret items that are buried deep in chain quests.
Do either of these games give you this with the feeling of a RPG..... fishing, foraging... camping... stuff like that.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

SJRB

Gold Member
Rise of the Ronin is a lot of things but definitely not that, lol.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wish I could afford both... but its Easter and I got kids...
but got a great laugh out of doubly disappointed.
Yeah, unfortunately neither game really does what you'd like, even though they're great in their own right. I suppose Dogma is closer to what you describe, but not quite there.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
DD2 seems like the sleeper hit of the year. There's about 100% more chatter coming from it than RotR which I've already forgotten existed. Not played either personally, but if I had to choose it would be DD2 for sure.

Guilty_AI

please do. I am playing on PS5 if that matters
Ok, i can sum up your criterias into:
1 - Game that allows for unique playthroughs
2 - Base building/settlements
3 - Lots of side-activities

The following games fullfill some or all of these to varying degrees

Baldurs Gate 3 ->
-Does 1 VERY well.
-Doesn't really have 2 but you do get a camp that is "enriched" the further you go along in your adventure.
-A bit questionable whether it does 3 the way you want. There are no well-defined "side-activities" but there's tons of stuff that'll distract you from the main path.

No Mans Sky ->
-While it does have a story, it doesn't play much of a role. However it is in fact the kind of game where you do whatever and go wherever you want.
-Definitely includes this one. Rather in-depth too, with you being able to settle on a planet you like and build a base there with multiple functionalities.
-Certainly a lot of side-activities to get you distracted, from small side-quests to simple gathering, mining, cooking, recording species, etc.

Stardew Valley ->
I haven't played this one but i know it includes pretty much everything you said, from building your own home (though i believe there are limitations as to where) to exploring, making your own adventure, farming, fishing, finding secrets and weird stuff, etc.

Terraria ->
As the one above i haven't played this but i know it does all you want. Think of it as a 2D minecraft with more in-depth rpg systems and a lot more interesting stuff to find in the world.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Stop being poor
Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

Top Bottom