• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm ugly

mlclmtckr

Banned
I used Accutane and I went from bad acne to having like one zit in the last fifteen years. My skin is actually still really clear and looks nice.

The one really shitty side effect, though, is that it made my face kind of really sensitive, so I get razor burn super easily now. Which actually does really really suck, I'd like to be a clean shaven dude but it's just too unpleasant.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You may not have control over how your face looks or what your height is, but you can still get fit and actively work on being kind to other and having a good personality.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my dude. My nose is huge and fleshy and Im 26 and seriously balding so I only rock a buzz on my bumpy head.
I am built like a brick house though since I started to strength train. I try to acquire a lot of knowledge in order to have deep intellectual conversations, I have started to be more creative by learning to draw.
In short if you're lacking in the looks department then work on your strengths. Dont be an asshole or a "nice guy" not everyone you're attracted to will feel the same way, and that's OK. Get out more, dont be afraid to start conversations.

right on!

Flowmoney

so you're basically not reading anything in your own thread then

i mean i know being unattractive is a bitch but for fucks sake get a grip

I've heard people talking about working out and just accepting things with looks not mattering but things are just complicated. :/

I've heard people talking about working out and just accepting things with looks not mattering but things are just complicated. :/

k have you even tried

have you been to a therapist

if not, fucking go

You're right, it may be complicated. If your other posts are any indication you really need to be seeing professional help. They will help you through complicated issues.

PS also work out. Just do sit-ups, push-ups, and squats in your bedroom if you have to, it helps

Meh I am sure it’s not that bad. Your self perception isn’t what others see unless you let it. Instead of seeing who you aren’t be proud of who you are. Instead of measuring yourself against ideals measure yourself against the good you do daily. If you feel beautiful you will be beautiful to others. Oh and be funny. Everyone loves funny.

If you dress decently, go to a gym, style your hair, and keep a good level of tidiness and and hygiene then you can fix 85% of your ugliness.

And this.

Flowmoney

k have you even tried

have you been to a therapist

if not, fucking go

You're right, it may be complicated. If your other posts are any indication you really need to be seeing professional help. They will help you through complicated issues.

PS also work out. Just do sit-ups, push-ups, and squats in your bedroom if you have to, it helps

I can't go for a number of reasons unfortunately. I could try doing like small exercises , they won't make me feel better like I've been saying.

I can't go for a number of reasons unfortunately. I could try doing like small exercises , they won't make me feel better like I've been saying.

Obviously money or lack of insurance can be a problem, you may be able to find free or low-cost services. Here are some pages that may be helpful to you:

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/finding-therapy

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/wellness/low-cost-and-free-mental-health-services/

https://adaa.org/finding-help/treatment/low-cost-treatment

On exercise, you're not going to feel better instantly, but you're gradually working toward something. You'll be doing more reps per set and setting new goals, and maybe after a month or two, you'll look in the mirror and notice a bit of definition that wasn't there before. That's pretty nice! If you want more of that, you'll want to keep going and pushing yourself harder!

I'm an exercise novice myself, and also sorta lazy, but I've already noticed my rep counts getting better, so you might even get a bit of confidence early on

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Eiu0wW7.png
Yup, he definitely got uglier since his days on The Andy Griffith Show.

ThisGuy

What do you want that being ugly prevents?

Pussy? Cause that's about it. And if you want that, you got to lift.

Sami+

Serotonin going off when you exercise actually means that yes doing small, doable stuff just in your room will make you feel better. You just have to commit.

Flowmoney

Obviously money or lack of insurance can be a problem, you may be able to find free or low-cost services. Here are some pages that may be helpful to you

It's just a complicated reason and those may or may not even be a factor.

What do you want that being ugly prevents?

Pussy? Cause that's about it. And if you want that, you got to lift.

It's complicated and I would rather not discuss it. Nah that isn't what thread is about and I hope other people don't think that.

mrkgoo

Whoa this is the same thread from like last week.

Whenever I see some threads like this it can be disheartening because the people who post them tend to be better looking! Lol I don't care though, I've made my peace.

jb1234

It's just a complicated reason and those may or may not even be a factor.

It's complicated and I would rather not discuss it. Nah that isn't what thread is about and I hope other people don't think that.

Since you seem unwilling to elaborate on what your problems are, I'm not really sure what you want from us. You've gotten some good advice here and I hope you take it.

Meh, girls don't even care about how their partner looks as much as us men do tbh. Just get healthy and go out and talk to people. It honestly is just that simple.

I had way more meaningful relationships as a plain average looking dude before i beefed up during college.

TissueBox

I hear the ability to re-edit appearances in the character creator are going for as high as $40 these days... damn capitalismz strikes again!

theofficefan99

I was unhappy with my looks for such a long time but I've been working on them. I went and got fillers ($1000), and I was also given sunscreen and this product that focuses on fixing discoloration. I've gotten comments saying that I look "100 times better."

There's hope for everyone :p

And also if you're out-of-shape, go get a membership at a gym that's open 24 hours. I believe I'm at a normal percentage of body fat (around 16% or so) but it's nowhere near where I want to be. I literally just got a membership, and I went in during midnight. There was only about 2 dozen people inside. It was EXTREMELY relaxing. Unfortunately I've been extremely sore since then, but once my body gets used to it, I can see myself going nearly every night.

Choomp

Banned
The other thing is, I think like more than half of it is just having an attractive personality. I know a lot of people who draw the kind of attention we're referring to here just because they make themselves very open and fun to be around, even if they're traditionally not a very attractive person. This stuff really comes down to being more than a mental perception of yourself than anything else, which may still be pretty tough to tackle but don't beat yourself up for being "ugly".

Namikaze

I'm honestly sorry you feel that way OP. Most people have at least one thing they would like to change about their appearance, but as cliche as it sounds, you have to focus on being the best version of yourself. Is there really any other choice?

You never look as good in real life as you do in a mirror.

Conversely, unless your features are perfectly symmetrical, you're not as ugly in photos as you are in real life.

Videos sometimes are much better.

What? Most of my friends look the same in a mirror as they do irl, their facial features are obviously flipped though.

You never look as good in real life as you do in a mirror.

Conversely, unless your features are perfectly symmetrical, you're not as ugly in photos as you are in real life.

Videos sometimes are much better.

Damn you're basically telling someone who looks in the mirror and hates what he sees that he's even uglier irl lol.

Demy

We're all a little ugly, OP, and that's cool. But I but there's a shit ton about you that's awesome.
How can we help? Is there anything we can do to help you feel a little better about yourself?

openrob

Everyone has flaws, though they are not as bad as you might think, but recognise them and move on. They do not own your life or make up all that is you. Really not that important.

Don't know what the problems are preventing gym use, but my spine is filled with rods and spikes like a fucking dinosaur but I still try my best (no deads or squats or anything dangerous like that but there's enough other stuff I can do to feel alright about myself).

Are you a dude?

• Get a nice, clean haircut
• Get some muscle
• Grow a beard or shave your beard (depends on your face / beard)
• Buy nice clothes

It's easy as this. It's impossible to look "ugly" with a few basics.

Embrace your shit, OP.

I have a crooked nose. Big ears. Teeth that aren't straight. Not in perfect shape. Not 6 feet tall. Didn't have a girlfriend until I was 20, almost 21.

You are who you are, but the world sees you as you present yourself. Present yourself as confident. Aggressively attack negative thoughts about yourself as soon as they manifest. Look in the mirror, look yourself in the eyes and tell yourself that you're dope. You can do dope things, and you're going to go out and enjoy the day. Maybe even smile for no reason at all.

Build the habit of self confidence.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Honestly OP, if you don't feel you can get over the ugliness or think you can improve it, maybe you should lean into it.

Wear bad and unfashionable clothing that fits poorly; clashing colours and patterns help. Consider wearing a coat in all weathers. Let your hair grow out and don't style it, just let it do whatever. Same with a beard, if you can grow facial hair; even (no, especially) if you can't grow a proper beard. Start being weird towards your friends and coworkers.

ThisGuy

Nothing wrong if it was that. Dont sweat it. Drop me a pm to try to and explain it. I might be able to give better advice then.

Vagabundo

The mirror thing is very common.

How do you feel about yourself? Are compassionate to you or harsh?

Most people will not see or care about the faults you see.

SomTervo

Obviously money or lack of insurance can be a problem, you may be able to find free or low-cost services. Here are some pages that may be helpful to you:

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/finding-therapy

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/wellness/low-cost-and-free-mental-health-services/

https://adaa.org/finding-help/treatment/low-cost-treatment

On exercise, you're not going to feel better instantly, but you're gradually working toward something. You'll be doing more reps per set and setting new goals, and maybe after a month or two, you'll look in the mirror and notice a bit of definition that wasn't there before. That's pretty nice! If you want more of that, you'll want to keep going and pushing yourself harder!

I'm an exercise novice myself, and also sorta lazy, but I've already noticed my rep counts getting better, so you might even get a bit of confidence early on

Something important to note is that, if weight is an issue re how you feel about yourself, your face is one of the first parts of your body to lose weight.

I.e. if you have a 'pudgy' face, working out for a few days or weeks should make a pretty immediate impact on your face.

If not (because everyone IS different) the more you work out the more your face will change.

At a certain point you've got to control your diet, too. When you've got very low body fat, your face will look completely different. It's striking and generally attractive.

Sorry if weight isn't an issue, haven't been following the thread.

Also recommend yoga. It's pretty insane how much better it makes you feel about everything - your body, the world, your mind - while also helping you build tone and lose weight. I've done bits and bobs here and there for years but in the last month I've been doing a YouTube course and doing a video almost every day. I feel physically damn light, I'm in much better spirits, more focused, etc. It's crazy.

I use Lesley Fightmaster's videos mostly, but you may want to find a beginner course that's good for you. On top of that, to build a habit, I've been doing her 'Yoga Fix 90' programme (lol RDR2 advert) which is a free 90-day yoga regimen. Doing it once a day is crazy, you can do stuff within a week you haven't been able to do for years.

Oh hey she's got a 30-day beginners course, too.

SomTervo

I've got a feeling backslashbunny typed it wrong.

In my experience the mirror is one of the places you always look worst. Not literally, but because you'll scrutinise yourself in a way no-one else will, ever.

If anything, the mirror always shows the worst side of you. IRL you'll be much more attractive. I think.

Slaythe

I've got a feeling backslashbunny typed it wrong.

In my experience the mirror is one of the places you always look worst. Not literally, but because you'll scrutinise yourself in a way no-one else will, ever.

If anything, the mirror always shows the worst side of you. IRL you'll be much more attractive. I think.

I'm pretty sure random badly lit candid pictures are.

Literally look like a monster on those yet i'm fine on videos and "in the mirror". Or pictures I pose for.

JoeBoy101

So what do you want OP?

And before you answer 'Not be ugly', that's not the root of what you are looking for. "Not be ugly" means you want to be accepted by others, yourself, or both. So before you answer that question, seriously consider what exactly you want. Get to the fine point of what it is you are yearning for or aching to have rectified.

This is a tough one.

Maybe you are ugly, maybe you only think you are ugly. I don't know.

How old are you? Am I correct to assume that you are a young man? Everything I say now is based on that assumption.

Many guys start out weird and or awkward looking. I definitely did. It was pretty bad.

For the most part, if you take care of yourself, you will get better with age. Most guys do.

In my mid 30s now and I look about 1000x better than I did when I was around 20. I was never truly ugly, but I was weird looking. Not anymore.

You will probably get better with age, but if you're just not an attractive person, then exercise and weight lifting can always help.

Having an unattractive face combined with being a fat dirty slob is a million times worse than have an unattractive face while being ripped or in really good shape.

There's always something you can do to look and feel better. Just might take some time.

Top Bottom