• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm watching 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
tumblr_np7498oaI31tjd8fao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nrx0r4vhui1tjd8fao1_1280.jpg
Poor poor Chief O'Brien.

Poor Chief never gets invited to parties
orgies
either.(Linked because it's kind of NSFW.
Pixellated Riker dick lol
)

And with that I can finally close those tabs in my browser.

Edit: And top of the page! Bam!

scitek

I've always wondered, since DS9 and TNG had some overlap as they aired, is there any benefit to watching those seasons simultaneously?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've always wondered, since DS9 and TNG had some overlap as they aired, is there any benefit to watching those seasons simultaneously?
Not really. DS9 starts at Best of Both Worlds but it does its own thing. Nothing really overlaps at all. No spoilers appear or anything. Worf doesn't even show up in DS9 until TNG ends and Q only has one episode very early on and it's a sequel to a TNG episode that had already aired. (Before Sisko grows his "Riker Beard") So unless you really need a Worf fix, you can leave DS9 for later.

jb1234

The only real overlap is at the end of TNG's seventh and DS9's second season, when they spend time prepping for Voyager's premiere by establishing the Maquis. TNG does an episode first ("Journey's End"), DS9 has a two parter ("The Maquis") and then TNG has one final ep ("Preemptive Strike"). Even then, they're just setting up a plot point and there's no character interaction between the two shows.

(Bashir also makes an appearance on DS9 in the middle of TNG's sixth season but there's no plot carry over).

Jackpot

Banned
There is also a TNG 2 parter that starts on DS9. Get to see Bashir and Data interacting.

Can't remember what ep but there's also a TNG scene where Riker phones up Quark for intel.

Chris R

Just done with Relics, really touching episode, even if all the stuff inside of the Dyson Sphere was a letdown.

It helps that I enjoy TOS, it was my 2nd most watched series before I started watching TNG.

Herne

I hope you continue with your episode analysis, OP!

I was just watching the blu ray of season 3 when I came across something interesting. In the episode Deja Q, Geordi switches from one console in engineering to another, and you see two panels displaying side-on view schematics of the ship. But they're not schematics of the Enterprise D, they're schematics of the Enterprise C! Take a look -

Looks pretty much like the Enterprise D, right? Take a look at these comparisons below -

I had a look the entries for the episode on Memory Alpha and IMDB, and there's no mention of this. The two designs are very close, but I'm confident that the design as shown in the episode is indeed of the Enterprise C, two episodes later in Yesterday's Enterprise. Wonder how that got in there? I haven't checked any other episodes yet to see if that schematic is repeated, or if they have the correct one.

Ieu

I hope you continue with your episode analysis, OP!

I was just watching the blu ray of season 3 when I came across something interesting. In the episode Deja Q, Geordi switches from one console in engineering to another, and you see two panels displaying side-on view schematics of the ship. But they're not schematics of the Enterprise D, they're schematics of the Enterprise C! Take a look -

Looks pretty much like the Enterprise D, right? Take a look at these comparisons below -

I had a look the entries for the episode on Memory Alpha and IMDB, and there's no mention of this. The two designs are very close, but I'm confident that the design as shown in the episode is indeed of the Enterprise C, two episodes later in Yesterday's Enterprise. Wonder how that got in there? I haven't checked any other episodes yet to see if that schematic is repeated, or if they have the correct one.

Actually there's design elements of both in there with. Notice how the saucer section has the very top offset to the rear like the D, but with a raised section like the C.

The nacelle connecting struts are from the D - notice the arc curving forwards compared to the C's back slanted straight struts. The nacelles do look very large, possibly from the C however bear in mind this is an engineering console so they may have been exaggerated to display more detail on screen.

Herne

Actually there's design elements of both in there with. Notice how the saucer section has the very top offset to the rear like the D, but with a raised section like the C.

The nacelle connecting struts are from the D - notice the arc curving forwards compared to the C's back slanted straight struts. The nacelles do look very large, possibly from the C however bear in mind this is an engineering console so they may have been exaggerated to display more detail on screen.

I just noticed the curve of the nacelle struts just as I posted, but as you said, it otherwise does seem to be a mix of the two. You're probably right about the enlarged sections for increased detail, or it could be just the angle. Still, interesting!

The Slow-Motion Picture.

You can file a tax return during that scene where Scotty shows off the Enterprise to Kirk and still have time left over to grab a drink.

I recall Mr. Plinkett making a joke about this, but I can't find the review in which he made it.

Episode 51: The Survivors

"The Enterprise investigates two survivors living on the only undamaged patch of land on a devastated planet."

A brilliant, but rather unsettling episode. What makes it great is Kevin, a powerful being haunting a planet with the memory of his lost love and the home they shared together. With Kevin's emotional connection to his mortal wife, Rishon, it shows the limits of his abilities. He is incapable of bringing her back from beyond the grave, and when she tried to fight alongside the colonists, it was his love & moral code that prevented him from stopping the invaders. And when Kevin tried to deceive the enemy through his powers of illusions and trickery, the alien threat soon figured out the ruse and struck back. Hard.

So, when he had lost everything that was dear & important in his life, Kevin's pacifism was put aside and he let his anger get the best of him, where he went & extinguished every single Husnock. Not the ones in the invading fleet, not a select few. He performed mass extinction of an entire species, all with the power of his mind. I couldn't blame Picard for leaving Kevin to his misery, as there's no way to judge him for his actions.

Episode 52: The Survivors

"The Enterprise investigates two survivors living on the only undamaged patch of land on a devastated planet."

Just a heads up on the formatting here for future posts.

Oh yes, the first part of this Star Trek: The Star Trek review.

But most importantly, I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture because I can leave the house in the middle of a scene, get the brakes fixed on my car, get a haircut, go to the bank, and then come home and not miss anything.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Oh yes, the first part of this Star Trek: The Star Trek review.

What's funny is at the time I watched that review the only ST I had ever seen was the 09' one which was pretty recent and I'm one of those people that absolutely hate "2001" A Space Odyssey" so I figured I wouldn't like The Motion Picture much since it had so many negative views. However, Plinkett turned out to be right again as I watched the movie after finishing TOS and really loved it. I think STTMP is right up there with Khan as the best Star Trek movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom