• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm watching 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

First Contact would probably be a lot better if it wasn't trying to turn Picard into an action hero, as well as pretty much voiding the episodes Family, where he finally comes to terms with what the Borg have done to him, and I, Borg where he learns to leave his hate for the collective behind. All the progress he'd made chucked out the window, and most of the character we'd known in the show out with it for good measure.

First Contact is more flash than substance, though there's not to say there isn't substance to it. I wouldn't rank it as one of the great films (those being II and VI for me), but an average-to-good one.

Yeah, I can see your points, especially with Picard's character development. On the other hand, tweaking his character led to his fantastic confrontation with Lily in the ready room, easily the most memorable TNG movie scene.

First Contact is just sheer fun for me and since I have more affection towards the TNG cast than the TOS one, I'd prefer to watch it over even the best TOS movie (Wrath of Kahn).

I feel like you should not skip Star Trek III despite its flaws. Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage Home are a trilogy within a film series. Actually, I'd argue that the only films you really should miss of the original crew is the The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier since they really don't tie into any of the other films and are pretty bad.

I mean The Motion Picture has more redeeming qualities than The Final Frontier though, including a very intelligent plot, good twist and a fantastic soundtrack.

At this point, I may need to watch all the movies. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus on which ones are worth watching, other than Wrath of Khan being the best one.

Herne

Yeah, I can see your points, especially with Picard's character development. On the other hand, tweaking his character led to his fantastic confrontation with Lily in the ready room, easily the most memorable TNG movie scene.

First Contact is just sheer fun for me and since I have more affection towards the TNG cast than the TOS one, I'd prefer to watch it over even the best TOS movie (Wrath of Kahn).

That scene was damned good, great acting. I grew up on TNG but even though I like Insurrection and even Nemesis, I have to admit that the best of the original films are greater than the best of the TNG films (First Contact being the best). The chemistry is incredible among the cast. The TNG cast are great but for some reason they never did spectacularly well in their films. Nothing in any of the TNG films feel as tense as and exciting as the rivalry between Kirk and Khan, or the battle of the Mutara Nebula in Wrath of Khan and against the cloaked Bird of Prey in Undiscovered Country (bonus re-used footage of that ship in Generations as Lursa and B'Etor's own Bird of Prey).

At this point, I may need to watch all the movies. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus on which ones are worth watching, other than Wrath of Khan being the best one.

Just watch them all... and by all I mean every single one of them bar The Final Frontier and Generations.

I think the point of FC and his interactions was to show that he HADN'T really gotten over what happened to him. I mean, family takes place barely a month or two later? I, Borg helps him deal with the fact that his hatred is baseless, but it doesn't dispel his hatred.

What happened haunted him for a long time, you see it in how he handles situations afterwords. I thought it did a good job at painting the picture that, yes, it takes a LOT to get over something like that.

jb1234

That scene was damned good, great acting. I grew up on TNG but even though I like Insurrection and even Nemesis, I have to admit that the best of the original films are greater than the best of the TNG films (First Contact being the best). The chemistry is incredible among the cast. The TNG cast are great but for some reason they never did spectacularly well in their films. Nothing in any of the TNG films feel as tense as and exciting as the rivalry between Kirk and Khan, or the battle of the Mutara Nebula in Wrath of Khan and against the cloaked Bird of Prey in Undiscovered Country (bonus re-used footage of that ship in Generations as Lursa and B'Etor's own Bird of Prey).

The TOS films were allowed to be more ambitious. Even the worst of the films is a journey to find God. The execution fails horribly but it at least tries, whereas the TNG films all have the same action adventure template with a battle to the death at the end. Somewhere along the way, the powers that be chose to play it safe and it really hurt those films.

The general consensus you're gonna get is that II is the best and V is the worst. The field is pretty much wide open after that (although most agree that IV and VI are also great movies). You might as well just watch all of them, even the bad ones. Even V has some redeeming qualities (albeit not many).

antonz

Yeah, Q appeared in 3 different episodes of Voyager. But John de Lancie's "Q" generally took a back seat to other "Q's" in those episodes. In one episode Q dumps his annoying adolescent teenage son onto USS Voyager as some sort of punishment (for the viewers). The episode spends all of its time with Q's kid and very little with Q.

Star Trek IV is one of the most "Trek" to me. It throws away space battles, technobabble and phaser shootouts for a light hearted time travel plot with a fish out of water premise. Time traveling to the 1980's is such a throwback to TOS when they would travel back to 1960's earth. It is kind of a staple in Trekdom. TOS, TGN, DS9 and Voyager all had time travel episodes. Even Enterprise had like a season dedicated to it or some shit.
Absolutely right about IV. Don't know how that one didn't come to mind. Really all the TOS movies are at least average at best. Even V has its moments.

Sephzilla

My order for Trek movies would be

1) Wrath of Khan
2) Undiscovered Country
3) Trek 2009
4) First Contact
5) Motion Picture
6) Generations
7) Final Frontier
8) Voyage Home
9) Into Darkness
10) Search for Spock
11) Insurrection
12) Nemesis

Anyone who says the JJ movies are the worst thing to happen to Trek are viewing the old movies with some heavy nostalgia goggles because a good chunk of the movies, especially the TNG ones, are awful. Star Trek Generations is honestly a little underrated; its a pretty solid movie until they go to Veridian 3 where all of the writers promptly forget how to write Star Trek. I think Voyage Home is overrated. Final Frontier is fun in its cheesy badness. Motion Picture is great if you use the fast forward button.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My order for trek movies is probably close to:

VI
II
IV
I
V
III
Generations
First Contact
Nemesis
Insurrection

I detest the 2009 movie, and I refuse to rank it. I am also surprised that people think V is worse than III. III is so dull and boring. V at least has some interesting stuff that they fail completely at doing.

In terms of how much I enjoy watching them, from best to worst:

1) Undiscovered Country
2) Wrath of Khan
3) Voyage Home
4) First Contact
5) Final Frontier
6) Generations
7) Motion Picture
8) Trek 2009
9) Search for Spock
10) Insurrection
11) Nemesis
12) Into Darkness

(FF is worth it just for the campout, Generations just for Kirks "make a difference" speech)

Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.

Just encapsulates kirks journey so well. Superb writing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's hard to capture what makes this franchise tick in a movie, the whole point of Trek is watching a crew of space explorers get put in random and crazy situations something which DS9 forgets and it's why it fell short for me.

Just in Season 1 the TNG crew has dealt with Binary system based race, Crystal entity that sucks the life out of any planet, a race of humanoids that are poisoned by radiation making them sterile, Holodeck shenanigans, Q and more. There's always that "what are they coming up next?" feeling that makes TNG great IMO, there's none of that in the movies for obvious format reasons and there's none of it in DS9. The feeling of adventure, which is the lifeline of this franchise, is gone and thus the product suffers.

I admit the cast of DS9 is pretty great, I'm just not a fan of how the series is structured. And Avery Brooks never had the gravitas that Patrick Stewart has, as much as I like Sisko as a character.

I hate every episode with Lwaxanna, is it just me?
they are all terrible IMO

I look at Trek 2009 the same way I look at the CD-I Zelda games; pure disgust. I don't see how anyone can vouch for that garbage. It doesn't even look/sound/feel like it's even remotely related to Star Trek. It's equivalent to M. Night Shayamalan's depiction of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I could not believe what I was watching.

Herne

The new films are not Star Trek to me. They are dumb but fun summer action-comedy movies. The cast is great, but the writing is incredibly stupid and Abrams made the first annoying to watch with lens flare after lens flare. He toned it down for the second but that still couldn't help the fact that the script was worse still, and far more stupid with it. They are fun turn-your-brain-off summer fare, but that's not what Trek is supposed to be. I'm ever so slightly hopeful in a tiny way that Pegg can bash out a good script, but my experience of the new films are soured badly enough already.

for me it's

~2009
~ID
~IV
~FC
~Khan
~TMP
~V
~III
~Generations
~Insurrection
~VI
~Nemesis

You know what, Currygan, you're one of my favourite people on GAF, but that has to be the most dreadfully awful list I have seen when it comes to ranking the Trek films :p

Blues1990

Season 3:

Episode 49: Evolution

"An obsessed scientist arrives on the Enterprise-D to perform a once-in-a-lifetime experiment. Accidentally released nanites, however, threaten both it and the ship."

Seriously, this is so much better than Season 2's premier episode, "The Child." I'm glad Beverly Crusher has returned, even if it means I would have to put up with Wesley's antics (such as the case for this episode). It's great to see Picard dealing with those who don't immediately bow to his orders, as that makes him much more interesting. Also, it's cool to see Dr. Stubbs calling out on Tori's invasiveness.

Episode 50: The Ensigns of Command

"Data must convince a colony of 15,000 people to evacuate before the aliens who own the planet arrive."

This episode is a good reminder that Data, though he desires to have similar qualities that humans posses, he has the potential to make the right choices the rest of us might not be capable of. He initially approaches the problem with logic, but he realizes that only through shock value & direct honesty that was he able to convince the colonists that they aren't really making smart choice of staying behind. This is also a good reminder of the threat of losing your identity, and seeing how normal peaceful men & women will do whatever it takes to preserve that.

Episode 51: The Survivors

"The Enterprise investigates two survivors living on the only undamaged patch of land on a devastated planet."

A brilliant, but rather unsettling episode. What makes it great is Kevin, a powerful being haunting a planet with the memory of his lost love and the home they shared together. With Kevin's emotional connection to his mortal wife, Rishon, it shows the limits of his abilities. He is incapable of bringing her back from beyond the grave, and when she tried to fight alongside the colonists, it was his love & moral code that prevented him from stopping the invaders. And when Kevin tried to deceive the enemy through his powers of illusions and trickery, the alien threat soon figured out the ruse and struck back. Hard.

So, when he had lost everything that was dear & important in his life, Kevin's pacifism was put aside and he let his anger get the best of him, where he went & extinguished every single Husnock. Not the ones in the invading fleet, not a select few. He performed mass extinction of an entire species, all with the power of his mind. I couldn't blame Picard for leaving Kevin to his misery, as there's no way to judge him for his actions.

Episode 52: The Survivors

"The Enterprise investigates two survivors living on the only undamaged patch of land on a devastated planet."

Episode 53: Who Watches The Watchers

"The Enterprise must undo the damage when a primitive civilization discovers a Federation observation team and concludes that the Starfleet personnel are gods."

A lot of fans consider this episode to be an essential story in the series. One of the reasons the episode works so well, is how even with the best of intentions, it can show how a string of accidents can happen and could quickly spiral out of control. Picard's stand against irrational & superstitious ideals were powerful.

Episode 54: The Bonding

"Worf decides to take into his house the child of a slain subordinate, but the child is having trouble accepting his mother's death, especially when she mysteriously reappears."

If there's a reoccurring theme for this episode, is learning the importance of acceptance & moving on. Medical Doctor Aster, who had perished in this episode, had made no appearances in past seasons & we share little emotional connection with her. However, the crew of the Enterprise has been hit hard (Wesley in particular had a great breakout moment in this episode), especially Worf (who had lead the expedition which Aster was a part of) feels responsible for her senseless death, but it's her 12 year-old son Jeremy who's been hit the hardest. It's cool that the kid, after some time, had later become Worf's "brother".

Episode 55: Booby Trap

"While investigating a 1,000-year-old alien derelict, the Enterprise gets caught in the same energy trap which doomed that vessel a millennium ago."

Probably has my favourite quote from the series ("Good Lord, didn't anybody here build ships in bottles?"), but I liked the idea for this episode than it's final execution.

Novocaine

first and foremost Voyager is awful because the crew, flesh and blood of all ST, is so incredibly BORING, inept, completely devoid of charisma. You have one indian guy who is the goddamned First Officer and he spends his time clicking on his laptop doing absolutely nothing; maybe he tryinna solve a legendary equation and find his purpose somewhere in space; the only thing he ever does is building a wooden tub for Janeway, which is telling, and he doesn't even get the P;
then you have the black Vulcan, so progressive. I remember Nimoy being just a bit cross about it, which led to the legendary comment "there are no blacks on Vulcan, why does this guy exist" or something; he's actually an half decent character but his storylines are just plain terrible;
the asian guy plays the clarinet, or trumpet, or french horn, can't remember;
the fish fellow is probably my most hated character in all scifi; first of all, he looks like a overcooked, fat haddock; second, he's completely useless, oh wait, he cooks splendidly, very intriguing; I recall an episode in which he was chilling on some holographic beach, he starts dancing with some hotties and the camera slowly pans on his dancing feet, as if it was trying to entice some humour from the viewer. It was just disgusting because he's horrible;
the half, no sorry, quarter Klingon engineer, what a snorefest; she's actually kinda hot but yesh, I'd rather carve some ridges on my forehead than following her temper tantrums because granps was an angry klingon and so am I;
the Doctor, basically the only character from Voyager everyone loves, well i don't, not much, but he's certainly better than the rest. He becomes the heart of the show once Braga realizes he's the only one with a personality, and he's an hologram. Which is telling, again;
Tom Paris is probably the best pilot in the whole Starfleet, but he got this face
TomParis.jpg

I dare you find me a less characteristic looking face. If i were a comic book artist and someone hired me to draw a Tom Paris book I'd ask him how the fuck would they want to draw him, because I'd just Herge the hell out of it and draw a oval, two points and a line

I won't even mention Janeway and 7 of 9, because rofl; worst captain tied to Archer and the reason show went from shit to complete bag of rotten cocks, completely trivializing the most menacing enemies, the Borg and introducing some ridiculous oversexualized undertones

so yeah, long rant sorry, but Voyager sucks. It had great potential but threw it out of the windows just right away. Enterprise might actually be a little bit better than it beause there are no fish guys in it, even though that doctor..

Jesus, I thought I hated Voyager, you're on a whole new level. It really does suck though.

Why does everyone hate Nemesis so much? I mean I won't say it's a great movie, but I thought it was better than the other TNG movies save for FC.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Quoting myself from a previous topic on Nemesis:

Observations on Nemesis off the top of my head:

1) The entire thing with Data's twin brother was played out to hell and back by the series. If it had been Lore instead of this "B-4" that just magically came into existence, then the movie would instantly have become a hell of a lot more interesting.
2) Spiner could easily have CGI de-aging applied to him. Data's not a human, he could get away with looking overly smooth and CGI-enhanced. (I believe the excuse for killing Data was Spiner getting too old.)
3) The super-cool-awesome-OP-nerf-plz ship vs. Enterprise situation was taken directly from the Undiscovered Country, with hints of Wrath of Khan added for good mix.
4) Picard facing his past was already covered in that episode with Q and the Nausicaans.
5) I don't know what the titular "Nemesis" actually refers to. Picard's nemesis? The Enterprise's nemesis? Because the only people who fit the bill of "Picard's nemesis" is either Q or Lwaxana Troi. I put the name down to it meaning "This movie is the Nemesis of Star Trek."
6) Shinzon's entire plan, as already talked about, has so many points where it could fail and fall apart completely.
7) Shinzon could easily have went into Federation care and been patched up. I imagine that their alliance during the Dominion War has made the Federation and the Romulans ease up about the shenanigans they pulled during their cold war. That and as he is apparently a military-genius and a clone of one of the GOAT Starfleet captains, I imagine that he'd be treated with the best Starfleet medical has to offer.
8) Would hardline elements of the Romulan government/military really want to attack Earth at this moment? I know that Starfleet has taken a huge hit from the Dominion War, but you don't really want to give the already-mobilized and battle-hardened fighting force of the Federation-Klingon Alliance an excuse to go HAM on the Romulan Star Empire.
9) Janeway is an Admiral.

Nemesis is the direct precursor to the new Star Trek movies. It's a vacuous and derivative action movie that generally goes against what Star Trek is "about".

That and it was supposed to be the "final journey" of The Next Generation. They deserved better than getting a bootleg Wrath of Khan with car chases and Lore 2.0 that was directed by someone with no knowledge of Star Trek.

jb1234

Quoting myself from a previous topic on Nemesis:

Nemesis is the direct precursor to the new Star Trek movies. It's a vacuous and derivative action movie that generally goes against what Star Trek is "about".

That and it was supposed to be the "final journey" of The Next Generation. They deserved better than getting a bootleg Wrath of Khan with car chases and Lore 2.0 that was directed by someone with no knowledge of Star Trek.

When it comes to the Star Trek films, most of the blame with the weaker ones lies with the script. But Nemesis also suffered from really, really poor direction. That scene with the light shone right in Troi's eyes was goofy as hell (among others).

Cheerilee

2) Spiner could easily have CGI de-aging applied to him. Data's not a human, he could get away with looking overly smooth and CGI-enhanced. (I believe the excuse for killing Data was Spiner getting too old.)

Data didn't even need to be de-aged, in season 6 he tells Bashir that he can control his rate of hair growth, in season 7 they said that he had an "aging program", and at the end of season 7, they showed that he had a desire to change his physical appearance and look older.

IIRC, someone said that Brent Spiner was the one who wanted to kill off Data, because he wanted a memorable death scene, like Leonard Nimoy had, and he was finally able to give himself one when they let him help write Nemesis.

Data turned into a laughing asshole in Generations because he wanted a chance to expand his acting range. When Michael Piller came back to try (and fail) to fix the TNG movies, Spiner told him he didn't think he understood Data's character. When Spiner was allowed to write, he killed himself off in the least-convincing way possible, and gave us B4. (Edit: Seriously? B4?)

The worst thing about the TNG movies was that they pushed the writers out the window and focused on satisfying the egos of the actors. Shatner killed one of his movies. The TNG cast killed all of their movies.

Also...
hs70pyX.png

Blues1990

Geeze, I was hoping that we would be discussing TNG, as I have no clue what you guys are talking about & it's flying over my head. :(

foxtrot3d

Banned
Geeze, I was hoping that we would be discussing TNG, as I have no clue what you guys are talking about & it's flying over my head. :(

Don't worry man, soon you'll be able to understand everything we are talking about and get into pointless discussions about who is the better Captain and what exactly Miles O'Brien did with all that free time he must have had on the Enterprise.

Don't worry man, soon you'll be able to understand everything we are talking about and get into pointless discussions about who is the better Captain and what exactly Miles O'Brien did with all that free time he must have had on the Enterprise.

Kirk & Keiko respectively

I can never watch a show knowing I missed/skipped episodes

I actually like knowing I may have missed an episode here and there in a show with this many seasons. It maintains the illusion that there is always more, that their lives are bigger than just my knowledge of them.
Once I know I've seen every single episode, it becomes finite. It ends and I know it's over. Suddenly they exists in a box and it feels smaller.

Obviously this doesnt work with shorter shows, or more focused shows where every episode counts toward the plot arc. And I think that I've actually seen every episode of TNG multiple times, but since I've never watched the show in order, I'm not 100% certain of that.

Why does everyone hate Nemesis so much? I mean I won't say it's a great movie, but I thought it was better than the other TNG movies save for FC.

Because the whole concept of the movie was absurd. Let's forget the fact that Picard completely disregards the prime directive and lands on an inhabited primitive alien planet, without any sort of an attempt to disguise it from the natives. Where they joyfully ride around on their fucking dune buggy(why the hell do they suddenly need tires in the 24th century?) and proceed to have a car chase and gun fight with the locals, instead of Picard, you know, trying to resolve the situation without violence which is much more in line with his character. Especially when HE is the invader! They manage to escape and take off in their shuttle craft in FULL VIEW of the pre-warp society, and not a single fuck was given. ARGH!

But no, that is not the worst of the movie, like I said the whole concept was stupid. The Romulans chose to clone Picard over twenty years prior? Why? Why him? Sure he was a captain then, but not of the Enterprise at the time. What the hell made him so special among all other officers in Starfleet? Why not clone an Admiral for fucks sakes? STUPID.

But the dumbest thing of all, is the Romulans accepting a fucking HUMAN as their Praetor(leader)! The Romulans always felt they were the most superior race in the galaxy! There is NO WAY IN HELL they would let a human rule them!

And ah yes, the destroy Earth cliche. Destroy Earth, destroy the Federation? What? There are over 1000 planets in the federation! Sure earth is important, but come one, the Federation would still go on.

Then you have Riker with NOTHING to do, Troi being mind raped and able to track the cloak ship with her thoughts, B9 being just a way to ruin a great character sacrifice...

Sigh. The space battle was cool, even though the ships suddenly not having shields when colliding was ridiculous.

Yeah, Nemesis really pissed me off.

LakeEarth

Because the whole concept of the movie was absurd. Let's forget the fact that Picard completely disregards the prime directive and lands on an inhabited primitive alien planet, without any sort of an attempt to disguise it from the natives. Where they joyfully ride around on their fucking dune buggy(why the hell do they suddenly need tires in the 24th century?) and proceed to have a car chase and gun fight with the locals, instead of Picard, you know, trying to resolve the situation without violence which is much more in line with his character. Especially when HE is the invader! They manage to escape and take off in their shuttle craft in FULL VIEW of the pre-warp society, and not a single fuck was given. ARGH!
I always get a kick out of the fact that the chase scene ends with the shuttle craft picking them up. If the shuttle craft was there, why the hell were they using the fucking stupid ass dune buggy? The shuttle craft can travel faster, ignore the terrain, can carry more than 3 people at one time, can fire it's weapons in any direction, has shields, has hull plating, has more storage than a single head-sized glove box, and best of all, doesn't require an additional vehicle to fucking pick them up to take them back to the ship!

They really just didn't give a shit for Nemesis.

They really just didn't give a shit for Nemesis.

The character assassination of Worf is completely unforgivable as well. His arc in DS9 was awesome! He became an Ambassador to the Klingons! Now he is back to being an officer on a starship, and the comic fucking relief?! God it pisses me off SO MUCH.

Blues1990

Sorry, dude. Tell us what you think of season 3 so far.

Apparently, Season 3 & Season 4 are considered by fans to be the strongest seasons of The Next Generation, so I'm looking forward to see how they fair.

So far, Season 3 has had more consistently good episodes than flunks (I'm roughly 16 episodes in this season). 'Who Watches the Watchers', 'Yesterday’s Enterprise', & 'The Offspring' are my personal favourites, but that might change. I wished Data's daughter had become a semi-reoccurring character for the show, as not only was she charming, she had offered an interesting dynamic from Data. 'Yesterday's Enterprise' is an interesting "What-If?" story, to see what would happen if peace between the Federation & the Klingon's hadn't been declared. It also gives Natasha Yar (a criminally underused character) a proper send off, which I'm giving the writing team props for doing. Speaking of which, Worf is going to have his own character growth episode, in 'Sins of the Father,' which I'm looking to watching.

I'm going to post the episode thoughts soon, but I would rather watch the season and then write them down while the episodes are fresh on my mind.

The character assassination of Worf is completely unforgivable as well. His arc in DS9 was awesome! He became an Ambassador to the Klingons! Now he is back to being an officer on a starship, and the comic fucking relief?! God it pisses me off SO MUCH.
Not even just DS9... it completely ignores his character arc in TNG.

Him throwing himself to death with a crew of people he barely knows for some unknown honor, seems a lot different than the style of honor he learned to yield in TNG. How many episodes deal with worf learning that his understanding of honour needs to be more nuanced and less extreme? He wasn't a blood thirsty idiot who would ram a ship full of people into a borg cube at the end of TNG....

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Not even just DS9... it completely ignores his character arc in TNG.

Him throwing himself to death with a crew of people he barely knows for some unknown honor, seems a lot different than the style of honor he learned to yield in TNG. How many episodes deal with worf learning that his understanding of honour needs to be more nuanced and less extreme? He wasn't a blood thirsty idiot who would ram a ship full of people into a borg cube at the end of TNG....

As far as he knew, the battle was going rather poorly with little or no hope of reinforcement (while not apparent in the movie, some sources say the battle had been running for a day or more between the Enterprise heading toward Earth and arriving), and failing to stop the cube would probably mean the assimilation of Earth. The Defiant was all but disabled, with pretty much only its impulse engines functional. Running away, regardless of being dishonorable, means either giving the cube a clean shot at them, or surviving only to have to watch Earth fall. Say what you will about some of his other characterizations later, but there weren't really many other alternatives in that particular scenario.

Edit: And if you'll remember from BoBW II,
that's exactly what they were going to do (except with a functional warp drive) had feeding them the sleep command not worked.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
On S3 currently in my rewatch, watched Yesterday's Enterprise last night. Amazing episode, looks incredible in HD too. Love the lighting in that episode, very dark and oppressive. So many details popping out in this HD remaster absolutely loving it.

Would love for DS9 to get this HD treatment, maybe my appreciation of the show will grow with a remaster. Personally I hate how the show looks with the soft light, makes it look like some cheap soap opera, when that's really not the case since the sets in that show are really impressive.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The new films are not Star Trek to me. They are dumb but fun summer action-comedy movies. The cast is great, but the writing is incredibly stupid and Abrams made the first annoying to watch with lens flare after lens flare. He toned it down for the second but that still couldn't help the fact that the script was worse still, and far more stupid with it. They are fun turn-your-brain-off summer fare, but that's not what Trek is supposed to be. I'm ever so slightly hopeful in a tiny way that Pegg can bash out a good script, but my experience of the new films are soured badly enough already.

You know what, Currygan, you're one of my favourite people on GAF, but that has to be the most dreadfully awful list I have seen when it comes to ranking the Trek films :p

eh, what can I tell you, I think 09 worked greatly as a reboot and a prequel of sorts, all while trying to rake in some popularity from the younger audience (something Trek severely needed), it doesn't shit on its past glories too much and got a lot of very much welcomed modern spectacle. Or are you going to tell me horrible late entries like Nemesis, Insurrection or even FC which was at least decent were better than it? To me, these ones damaged the brand WAY more than Abrams' efforts, they practically killed cinematic Trek, which is why a movie like 09 has been made in such a way for the reasons aforementioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom