• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

VanWinkle

so this is the change of the main menu?

old:

new:

Personally the new one is a lot better. But that might have to do with the change in background wallpaper.

Very nice refinement. I like that home screen a lot. More pleasing blue, and some of the transluncencies were taken out.

DemonNite

EiWxM6N.jpg

5tnIHeD.jpg

Jhs3Dhm.jpg

Jr3PpjN.jpg

Ok8skXy.jpg

ibn8bEHSBiLm7r.png

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looks functional, but cheap as always. Sony's GUI's are always cheap looking, and its sad. I wish there appearance would reflect their quality.

Sulik2

Can we please get away from the dumb boxes on everything and give us an interface designed for a controller? Why is the original 360 blade system still the only UI that got this right?

Tsundere

Banned
GUYS! I'M PRETTY SURE THE CALENDAR AND TROPHY SCREENSHOTS ARE FAKES

The rest appear to be official but I think you're mixing up some fan/speculation mockups with the real ones.

At second glance, yea, they look fake, especially up in the upper-right where the PSN ID info is.

Tagyhag

It's ok. XMB was much better though.

This feels like I'm on a tablet.

It seems like all systems are going that route.

VanWinkle

Actually, yeah, those trophy screenshots definitely look fake. No wonder I thought it didn't fit the design of everything else, lol. Wonder where the poster who put those in with all the other ones got those? They weren't even in the post the person he quoted linked to.

These aren't official images, but since so many of you seem incapable of using your imaginations and seeing past the blue ribbons that you will be able to customize into oblivion, here:

ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg

ib0hpXF4k3L7BJ.jpg

ibk8dmyTSw9fb6.jpg

Now, how does everyone feel? Better? Worse? The same? Indifferent?

Thank you. Change of background makes quite the difference

EVIL

GUYS! I'M PRETTY SURE THE CALENDAR AND TROPHY SCREENSHOTS ARE FAKES

The rest appear to be official but I think you're mixing up some fan/speculation mockups with the real ones.

yeah the standard emboss and the Century Gothic used to death, very fake.

4lejandro

It would be cool to get a matching interface on the PS Vita (which is cool in the practical sense but looks hideous IMO). Hell, I'm calling it right now, we WILL get (sort of) matching UI on the Vita once the PS4 launches!

Am I going to have to scroll through a hundred game icons every time I want to get to an application? The best part of XMB was that applications were categorized with music, movies, games, etc. Hopefully they do something along those lines. Any time I see a trail of icons going off the screen it makes me worry.

driver116

/Dead :D

What's with this ribbon anyways? Does it appear in any other PlayStation branding or exist in any other setting other than the background on the UI?

I've seen it on the PSP, PS3 and Xperia Phones - I personally don't mind it, was just surprised they are still using it. On the Xperia, it's called 'dynamic ribbon' - when you swipe, open/close etc the ribbon does alls sorts of stuff.

Vanille

The trophy screen definitely screams fake. Sony always uses fake games in their official trophy screenshots, don't they?

ckohler

Can we please get away from the dumb boxes on everything and give us an interface designed for a controller? Why is the original 360 blade system still the only UI that got this right?

Compared to Metro and the PS4's Dynamic Menu, the Blades were a fugly, skumorphic, convoluted mess of confusion. They also lacked any kind of ability to change or be customized. Take off those rose tinted glasses; the blades were crap. There, I said it.

Also, how is this or Metro not made for a controller when the blades somehow were? You move up, down, left, right and click a button. The control is exactly the same for either, except the blades just had stuff in different areas of the screen.

Sushen

I find metro UI boring and uninspiring; it's rather lazy, IMO. Not a big fan of buncha squares with sharp edges which looks unrefined. I can't believe every one is copying metro style after seeing what happened to w8.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Where can I find the person responsible for replacing blonde Sarah Greene? I need to have words with him or her.

Tsundere

Banned
I find metro UI boring and uninspiring; it's rather lazy, IMO. Not a big fan of buncha squares with sharp edges which looks unrefined. I can't believe every one is copying metro style after seeing what happened to w8.

This is not at all like Metro. It's actually more like the original XMB, just that with game titles, it makes sense to have the "Box Art" in a square, much like for music etc. It's different from Metro in that, it's not only squares.

Fred-87

Most important thing for me is speed. I want everything to load as fast as possible. If the UI is sloppy.. annoying but i can learn to find every menu eventually. But if its slow speed that is permanent annoying.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't love the blue ribbon motif, but the only time I will see it is on the ps4 box that i will stow away in a closet and when I boot up the PS4 for the first time. It just seems of such little consequence.
I didn't say that it was of consequence, only that I think it's an ugly design.

wizzbang

Banned
Looks like flat shit garbage. (I fucking ADORE XMB - because it's excellent design - can be used via muscle memory alone and you can "see across" or "see down" wherre you want to go, several steps ahead.

Do not like.

Looks functional, but cheap as always. Sony's GUI's are always cheap looking, and its sad. I wish there appearance would reflect their quality.
Sony has always been terrible at ui's across the board. My nex camera menu is a mess and my Bravia has a very cumbersome layout.

Top Bottom