• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of new PS4 interface

idlewild_

New pictures

9fLRXiG.png

Party chat?

2012? Are these still mockups?

just to be clear for other people being confused with the fake mockups

these are the real new images
the others like the calender and the trophy list are indeed fakes... which where pointed out by our fellow gaffers

idlewild_

just to be clear for other people being confused with the fake mockups

these are the real new images

the others like the calender and the trophy list are indeed fakes... which where pointed out by our fellow gaffers

I assume the last one is a mockup too, unless that guy somehow replied from a year ago.

I assume the last one is a mockup too, unless that guy somehow replied from a year ago.

nope since my original post had the playstation eu in its image url while the fakes did not

of course these exact pics from my current update post I got from pushsquare.com instead of copying my original image post....

why you ask? I'm not sure myself

Assuming these are a mix of real and mockup.... I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I can't honestly put my finger on it but it just 'feels' weird I guess is the only way I can put it. I'm curious how customizable it will be, like if they've kept folders/grouping/how editable the background and color schemes are. I think that type of thing would go a long way to making this a really 'special' for lack of a better word dashboard experience. Excited to see the 'real' end result though.

I liked the XMB, I don't need to navigate large dialogue windows with giant graphics to launch a game, listen to music, chat a friend, or access Netflix.

In the minority here - I know, but I really enjoyed having the ability to pick my wallpaper image and icon style to an overall minimalist tone when navigating the PS3.

ckohler

Compared to Metro and the PS4's Dynamic Menu, the Blades were a fugly, skumorphic, convoluted mess of confusion. They also lacked any kind of ability to change or be customized. Take off those rose tinted glasses; the blades were crap. There, I said it.

Also, how is this or Metro not made for a controller when the blades somehow were? You move up, down, left, right and click a button. The control is exactly the same for either, except the blades just had stuff in different areas of the screen.

I got called out by a friend who said I was being a fanboy for saying the Blades were "fugly" and "crap". I should clarify. What I meant was that the Blades are, by comparison, fugly and crap compared to what we have today on Xbox 360, the Xbox One and the PS4. And yes, the PS4 UI is clearly inspired by the Microsoft Metro design. I'm glad. I like Metro a lot. I even liked the Blades back in the day. Today, however, I prefer the more modern, simple designs we're getting and going back to something like the Blades would be a step in the wrong direction.

That's my opinion. It is not fact.

wizzbang

Banned
I liked the XMB, I don't need to navigate large dialogue windows with giant graphics to launch a game, listen to music, chat a friend, or access Netflix.

In the minority here - I know, but I really enjoyed having the ability to pick my wallpaper image and icon style to an overall minimalist tone when navigating the PS3.

It's sad how convoluted and shit people want user interfaces. The XMB is fucking amazing to me. I hope the PS4 one with a blend of shitty flat metro and XMB somehow works out pretty good, I hope.

New002

From a design standpoint, it looks like a fairly amateurish attempt to ape pinterest and metro.

It also smells of mockups, so its probably a pretty long way off.

[edit] I should add, though, that I thought the PS3 UI was decent, but severely restricting. Also the PS Store UI was absolute garbage.

This is where I'm at as well.

Are you sure it's that configurable? I thought it was either or and not selectable by user?

Yes it is configurable, but to what degree is bit of a ?. If I Remember correctly you can at least: choose to connect/bring fb profile and/to psn profile, but do not have to. Choose If only friends see your real name/avatar or everyone. I expect more options, but remember that these were at least options.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
so this is the change of the main menu?

old:

new:

Personally the new one is a lot better. But that might have to do with the change in background wallpaper.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is like the PS3 and that the colour changes depending on time and date, the wave is the same, the colour has just gone from purple to blue.

We can use our own pic for our avatar? Thank you, Sony, I've already got something in mind.

ps3-kevin-butler-drink.png

As far as I know, you have two, a typical avatar that is what everyone sees that is next to your username on the profile screen, and your real name that only friends can see that also gives you the option of uploading your own picture.

I love how it looks. I hope they update the Vita's UI to something similar.

Bubbles are bad enough on a regular Vita, but they'd be especially terrible for Vita TV.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I don't see anything in these shots that is really anything like Metro, at least that is unless anything that is box or rectangle with a bit of text is now considered "Metro", lol. Microsoft didn't invent interfaces made up of simplistic shapes, "Metro" relies on typography more than anything else, and Sony using graphical images and effects goes pretty much against the principles of Metro in the first place.

Metro is nice and all for certain things, but not everything under the sun is now Metro or copying Metro.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It just feels a bit 'crowded' to me. And that home screen with recent games across the top, more details spilling out below, and tons of icons across the top. I guess you have to use it to get a feel for it, just seems a bit overwhelming at the moment - especially compared to the relative simplicity of the XMB

Ravage

as I mentioned earlier, they're fake and pretty bad ones.

I know they are mock concepts but i really really hope there's a Calendar app planned for PS4. It would be extremely useful if it's synced with official release dates of upcoming content.

Top Bottom