• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Importers Beware: Fatal Frame 4 BUGGED

Yeah, the OP made it sound like you would randomly crash into invisible objects out of nowhere. The only thing shown in the videos was being stopped trying to brush past a few objects. While that could still be annoying, the guy was purposely not trying to get unstuck to make it funnier, and it didn't seem like it would be hard to avoid it normally. JP sites have videos like these for a lot of games.

Now, the other bugs do sound pretty bad. I wonder what the unlockable was supposed to be, maybe something they canceled at the last minute?

WTF I HAD 2 GAMES I EVEN CARE ABOUT coming to wii AND I ALREADY OWN 1 OF THEM ON MY 360! (dead rising) and now FATAL FRAME is Borked?

jesus.........

Teknoman

Maybe the NA or EU version will see a controls overhaul plus other improvements. Wouldnt be the first time right?

Mamesj said:
what does "wwwwwwwwww" mean? I see people posting that all the time on nico.

It means something similar to "LOL". I'm sure a jgafer could actually tell you what the word it is in reference too.

Threi

notag
ZombieSupaStar said:
WTF I HAD 2 GAMES I EVEN CARE ABOUT coming to wii AND I ALREADY OWN 1 OF THEM ON MY 360! (dead rising) and now FATAL FRAME is Borked?

jesus.........
lol @ random capitalization :lol

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I blame all this casual shit. Quality controls no longer exist it seems.
The "I blame WiiFit" meme died a long time ago. We should let it rest in peace.

Cosmonaut X said:
Yeah, because Nintendo's casual games have been an absolute mess of bugs.

Oh, wait, no they haven't, they've been highly polished pieces of software, as has pretty much everything else the company has put out this generation, casual or otherwise.
As I said earlier, Paper Mario crashed on me. First time for a Nintendo published game. There does seem to be more of these issues nowadays, EO had a bug in the Japanese version too as Stump already pointed out. I do agree though that it has nothing to do with casual gaming and probably more with the amount of games they publish across Wii and DS.

ToastyBanana said:
The crash bug is definately an inexcusable QA issue. But like the GH3 mono fiasco, shit happens right? Here's hoping for some disc amending action in Japan. Since they're already aware of the issue I doubt it'll make it through to the EU/NA release...
Thanks for your impressions. If there is a NA/PAL release I think they'll definetly clean up that game breaking bug, as EO has proven.

Teknoman

crowphoenix said:
It means something similar to "LOL". I'm sure a jgafer could actually tell you what the word it is in reference too.

Isnt there something similar in Korea as well? Like "555" or something?

Mamesj

Banned
Teknoman said:

there's also "kekekekekeke" which i think is "hahahaha." I forget which language that is...Chinese maybe?

on topic, sucks about this game. Like everyone else, I'm wondering if this has to do with Tecmo dying.

Dascu

ZombieSupaStar said:

jesus.........
Dude, chill. They'll fix this up for the English release.

Teknoman

Mamesj said:
there's also "kekekekekeke" which i think is "hahahaha." I forget which language that is...Chinese maybe?

on topic, sucks about this game. Like everyone else, I'm wondering if this has to do with Tecmo dying.

What happened to Itagaki anyway? Is he going to start his own company or just go to another third party?

I very much hope this is fixed for the NA release; there's no reason to believe that it won't be.

But Tecmo?
Yeah, Tecmo?
Uh, huh, talking to you, Tecmo.
Yes, you, the publisher pointing at yourself.

Ok, Tecmo? Look at me. Listen very carefully. Verrrrrrry carrrreefulllyyyyyy.

No buggies for Tecmo Bowl DS, mkay?

Phife Dawg said:
As I said earlier, Paper Mario crashed on me. First time for a Nintendo published game. There does seem to be more of these issues nowadays, EO had a bug in the Japanese version too as Stump already pointed out. I do agree though that it has nothing to do with casual gaming and probably more with the amount of games they publish across Wii and DS.

Off the top of my head, the only first-party - or Nintendo-published - Wii/DS titles that had recognised issues were:

Super Paper Mario (PAL) - a screw-up during localisation meant that you could accidentally trigger a freeze at one very specific point in the game.

Endless Ocean (JPN) - another very specific bug that caused the game to freeze if you put more than one of a certain type of fish in the aquarium.

Mario Party 8 (PAL) - due to an oversight during localisation, the word "spastic" was left in one section of the game. That prompted Nintendo to temporarily take the game off shelves in the UK.

Cosmonaut X said:
Off the top of my head, the only first-party - or Nintendo-published - Wii/DS titles that had recognised issues were:

Super Paper Mario (PAL) - a screw-up during localisation meant that you could accidentally trigger a freeze at one very specific point in the game.

Endless Ocean (JPN) - another very specific bug that caused the game to freeze if you put more than one of a certain type of fish in the aquarium.

Mario Party 8 (PAL) - due to an oversight during localisation, the word "spastic" was left in one section of the game. That prompted Nintendo to temporarily take the game off shelves in the UK.
Twilight Princess cannon room.

Vinci

Danish
Dear lord, Tecmo, Nintendo - get your shit together. Seriously. This is amateurish. I expect much better of you. Well, at least of Nintendo.

And fix the stupid controls too.

ivysaur12

Banned
ToastyBanana said:
I don't mean to jump on the defensive but having played 8 hours of the game the getting stuck bits of the video are deliberately done to poke fun at it. While the collision detection is generally poor in the game, it's more of a slight annoyance which you can get out of by moving another direction. :lol at the panty shots on the stairs (and the niconico パンツが見える!wwwwwwwwwwww)

While the controls aren't perfect they do work. What people aren't pointing out is that you use the analog stick to turn left and right which also moves your flashlight holding arm left and right. It's not as if you're stuck twisting the Wiimote in weird angles to look around. The doorknob twisting motion is largely useless in practice as you can only use it when walking and it's limited to a slow 45 degree pan from centre. You still have to hold a button (Z) to run which still seems weird to me but it's been like that the whole series. Holding Z while pushing the analog stick in camera mode speeds up the panning motion. When a ghostie is in range it'll also serve as a lock on.

The crash bug is definately an inexcusable QA issue. But like the GH3 mono fiasco, shit happens right? Here's hoping for some disc amending action in Japan. Since they're already aware of the issue I doubt it'll make it through to the EU/NA release. I'm up to chapter 7 atm without crashing. I'm one of those OCD gotta check everything players
so I did the code thing first on chapter 3
. Other than the control differences you're not doing much different from the previous games with a lot of the same game mechanics in place. They did work on more ways to creep you out though :D Earns it's place as a fully fledged FF sequel in my mind despite the lack of polish in places.

This is why we need an impressions thread. That doesn't sound as bad as I originally thought.

Mamesj

Banned
Vinci said:
Dear lord, Tecmo, Nintendo - get your shit together. Seriously. This is amateurish. I expect much better of you. Well, at least of Nintendo.

And fix the stupid controls too.

They can just patch...oh right. :lol

Cosmonaut X said:

Actually my SPM crash wasn't related to that bug (there was a work-around to that). Just some random crash.

Fady K

I cant believe the one Wii game im dying for this year has been treated like this FOR THE FIRST TIME in the FF series after a collaboration with Tecmo, GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE and NINTENDO for crying out loud. Im still crazily in need of this game - but way to drop the ball guys! Seriously, they might as well have made it on PS2 at this point if they cant handle the Wii hardware with Nintendo publishing the game for crying out loud. Heck, they even got the controls wrong when their reason for making it on the Wii in the first place was because of the controls that will redefine the series.

Sorry for the rant, but every true Fatal Frame fan knows that the collaboration between Nint., Tecmo, and GM should have yielded better results than, at the very least, the PS2 games.

KTallguy

Banned
That video is hilarious, because it's more intended to show off a panty shot than to show any real bugs in the game.

Teknoman said:
5 in binary is 101 which is in letter form LOL

thus 5555555.

Oh and I expect that the bugs are gone when the game hits Europe

(hah, I wish, it will be even worse).

This isn't Nintendo's fault.

The series is fundamentally flawed, and you can't ask them to work miracles. Unless, of course, you honestly believe the Big N can fix every third-party's problem-riddled IP?

NintendosBooger said:

The series is fundamentally flawed
huhwhat

We have your problems with the series' gameplay (apparently) despite relatively bug-free previous releases, and then we have the actual, demonstrated bugs in Fatal Frame 4. Please don't try to equate the two.

NintendosBooger said:

The series is fundamentally flawed, and you can't ask them to work miracles. Unless, of course, you honestly believe the Big N can fix every third-party's problem-riddled IP?

What?

There wasn't any remarable bugs like this in the other 3 games, so is Nintendo partly fault as the IP owner and distributor of the game.

Only, of course, you are talking about the gameplay, which make the statement even more wrong...

duckroll said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/r4zj/info/index.html

There's a report out now that that Fatal Frame 4 has several bugs. When a certain condition is triggered, the game can lock up. There are also Ghost entries in the database that remain blank, and an extra option unlocked after the game is cleared that is unselectable. Tecmo wtf!!!! Did someone forget to pay them their super incentives too? :(

Edit: If anyone has the game here's what you need to do to avoid the game locking up.

During "三ノ蝕 忘日" (it's a day/chapter in the game I believe) after you have obtained the 暗号のようなメモ (coded memo), if you open the door to the doctor's room on the 2nd floor of the hospital the game will lock up. To avoid this, after getting the memo go to the director's office in the first floor and enter the 3 digit code into the interphone first.

Edit2: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4179550

This video shows that there are a bunch of collision detection and/or invisible objects in the game. Looks pretty annoying and it's amazing how this got through testing.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4181290

This video shows the game freeze issue.

I got past this part in question and did not experience this bug, but it is possible I did the work around unintentionally. I've noticed several clipping issues and "invisible" objects, as well as poor frame rate. Otherwise, the game has been enjoyable and I hope to have it completed today.

Farore said:
That's easily fixable...

Open the map menu near the cannon and select a portal... you can warp the cannon without talking to Midna.

This really works in the original US Wii edition? I must go try that out.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I blame all this casual shit. Quality controls no longer exist it seems.
Jesus christ

Can you please just stop this shit, Mithos? I've really tried asking you nicely but it's getting very annoying and I'm losing what little respect I've ever had for you. I was really pissed after the E3 conference, too, and am still pissed, but you're acting like a goddamn baby.

Developers finally have proof that "core" games don't work on Wii.

But seriously, it's disappointing that no one picked this stuff up while they were testing the game.

TunaLover

is a good thing nintendo take note of this bug if there worldwide launch, bad for japanese gamers. they could make a software recall like guilty gear xx accent core doesn't they', after all its a niche game with a few copies out there. tecmo goes wrong in every posible way with everything lastly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
can someone youtube the nico videos please ?

the page appears in all jibberish question marks for me and i can't figure out how to initialize the videos :(

CTLance

chandoog said:
can someone youtube the nico videos please ?

the page appears in all jibberish question marks for me and i can't figure out how to initialize the videos :(
I can't, but Sporsk has written a really nice howto in the FAQ section. Look at it. Love it. Worship the sporsk.

theultimo

CTLance said:
I can't, but Sporsk has written a really nice howto in the FAQ section. Look at it. Love it. Worship the sporsk.
Nico Nico/Smilevideo has good quality too, and you can turn off the comments if you want, I usually leave them on because theyre hilarious :lol

Wallach

Snaku said:
Wow, Tecmo's QA department is definitely in the running for worst in the industry.

It's generally not QA where the problem lies. Especially when it comes to basic issues found in natural progression. The problem is probably what Tecmo is simply allowing to pass as known-shippable as things they know will not be picked up during cert or lot check.

Dascu

road2serfdom said:
Can someone explain how the videos work? Is registration required or something? It seemes like there is no video at the link.
You need to register. Look for sp0rsk guide on how to make an account.

Top Bottom