• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a pic, your favorite multiplayer map of all time (and describe why)

Beach Invasion RTCW
Wolfeinstein+-+Beach.jpg

Avalanch DoD

I wouldn't call either of these maps best in the games but they were my favorite cause they were always a blast in pubs with large player numbers.They just give me loads of nostalgia.

6731.jpg

halpmeh.jpg

footmen-frenzy.jpg

FOOTMEN FRENZY

Warcraft 3 TFT custom map. I used to love playing regular ladder games of random 3v3 and then a friend suggested this game. I played this damn game over and over again for several years straight. Good lord it was fun. DINO DIN BABY!!! DINO DIN!!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
cs_assault

latest

It’s the simple concept of infiltration of a building with a front door, back door and vent (with two paths) that I love.

Making it through the vent to the upper branch alive was such a damned rush, although you’re left above the action wondering what the hell you do now...

Kaji AF16

178332-profile1.jpg

Wake Island from Battlefield 1942.

It's a small island in the shape of a "U" that allowed essentially every play style imaginable:

- 1v1 and/or large scale gunfights
- dogfighting
- fighting on the sea (complete with cannons that could attack ships, and boats to board ships/reach the island)
- cover in the form of foliage, houses, and vehicles
- enough space to use ground vehicles, including tanks and jeeps
- a small enough map that you could drive from one end to the other in a couple minutes, meaning you were never far away from the action
- the shape of the map allowed you to swim across from one point to another to try and capture a point
- hilly terrain, allowing you to sneak past enemies on either side of the island
- guard towers for sniping, that also acted as choke points for people trying to run/drive into capture points (see image above)

It's seriously the best ever. Don't know how well it'd translate into modern games, but I spent days camping out as an engineer on Wake trying to surprise people with TNT.

Wake Island from Battlefield 1942 is probably the multiplayer map I love the most, indeed. Among the thousands of virtual battlefields in which I fought during my almost thirty years of gaming, it is the one that gave me the best memories.
Playing it on a LAN with close friends will be forever among my favorite gaming moments.

Type_Raver

As many have stated, Facing Worlds from Unreal Tournament.

At the time, the vista of earth in the background, the combo of close quarters within the towers and open world action for snipers, and them music.

ms2fqnqwarr1reeyetp2.jpg

Though, Facility from Goldeneye is clearly up there as well, proximity mines!

TransTrender

Gold Member
That's Sandtrap from Halo 3, great map. The Elephants were really cool because they were mobile platforms that held objectives (like flags for CTF) that could be driven around the outer circles of the map, as well as through one cross section. It made for some super interesting encounters.
Thanks.
Looks pretty neat and I've never seen that until today. I missed most of the H3 multiplayer since I was a huge WoW addict at the time and really only did the co-op campaign.

This thread has a lot of great maps and games, with UT99 being the one I've spent the most time with, but Arica Harbor from Battlefield Bad Company 2 seems to be the most memorable. So many delicious, huge, and intense firefights in the game either solo or with friends. I just pulled up the wiki post and this kinda explains it.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Arica_Harbor

I've never seen a wiki post that long for a single map in a single gameplay mode.

It's a hard choice, but I gotta go with...
halo_3_maps_valhalla_big.jpg

Valhalla from Halo 3
It's easily the best version of Blood Gulch (which I think has aged poorly).

scoobs

The easy out would be to go with de_dust2, but given how bored I am of it now... I'll go with Carentan from CoD 1. My 2nd competitive shooter ever, and the map I'm most fond of by a large margin. Amazing design, great for competitive.

harmundo

Neo Member
Well, I have two.

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - Perfect Sword

maxresdefault.jpg

And Diablo II Act 1, right after you leave the town. That place has seen so many PvP matches.

maxresdefault.jpg

Won

cp_steel_big.jpg

cp_steel from team fortress 2.
I just love all the routes you get as an attacker

I always go with this on such topics. Just love the unique spin of the control point mode.

With the last point open to capture from the get go, but hard to do, while each of the other points basically changes the layout of the map and making it a bit easier for the attackers.

Puts every other map, no matter the game, into a "are you even trying?" box.

Didn't warhawk servers shutdown some time ago? Could be wrong of course but I feel like I read that somewhere.

I haven't seen anything concrete or official regarding their shutting down. There are a bunch of discussions revolving around people incorrectly claiming they've been shut down. But each was proved incorrect.

Emarv

It’s crazy how Bungie went from Multiplayer Map Maker geniuses to Destiny maps that I struggle remembering.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...and I am one of those men. Nothing beats this clustered madness for me. I only wish kill streaks could be turned off and it was just about shooting each other and dancing around grenades

Novocaine

Warsong+Gulch.jpg

Warsong Gulch is my favorite and most played multiplayer map ever, even though I haven’t played WoW for 2 expansions now.

Clean and simple. No tricks just 10v10 CTF. I could run a flag better than anyone else I knew.

14082252560_6211e0524f_o.png

(spoilered it because it's high-res)

Skyline from Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004.

Let's start with the music, an absolutely epic symphonic piece that wouldn't be out of place in majestic movies. This map, especially in Bombing Run, was simply a blast to play. It has a lane-like structure with jumppads to cross from one building to another, which made for some fantastic aerial action and mid-air snipes. The middle of the map had all the best weapons and shields, so if you wanted to have a chance to defend well you did, in fact, have to get exposed and fight for the middle before going back. Attacks consisted in aerial moves trying to dodge enemy fire, and when you had the ball in Bombing Run you had to be smart to outplay the defense in such limited lanes. Using the adrenaline for the speed bonus was the best way to score, sacrificing yourself to the greater cause of 7 points (jumping in the goal and thus dying gave more points than shooting in the ball which was merely 3 points). Last second saves were frequent at the goal, too. Loved this map, whenever I turn on UT2K4 it's almost guaranteed I'll do a match or two on this lovely map.

cs_assault

Most played by far. Didn't like the changes in CSGO and was a large part of why I never fell into it like Source.

Honorary mention for Damavand Peak. Loved that map. BF3/4 had amazing maps. Caspian Border, Sienne Crossing, Siege of Shanghai, Paracel Storm and many others.

In hindsight I really wish they hadn't gone back to WW1. I tried BF1 and though it was fun for a bit it just didn't have the staying power for me.

jg4xchamp

Temple - Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Me and a buddy had so many down to the wire matches on hyrule temple that just felt so fucking epic because of that music and how much space we had to work with. Melee is divine.

*Splinter

A78CD1E63D1A70F31A34D26A8C42B60510DE138E

Cowsmap. Quake 3 custom map by SuprCow (I think that's right). Not sure if it was used outside of the DOG freezetag servers but it's quite easily the best multiplayer map ever made.

Couldn't find a better image unfortunately.

Forgot to put a reason, but this map was designed to take full advantage of the movement options of Quake 3, the number of hidden lines is completely ridiculous and you can get from any point to any other point extremely quickly if you knew the route and had the skill to pull it off.

It's also very vertical even by the standards of the time (I think the entire level fits roughly in a cube). However it avoided the problems you'd see in other vertical maps (such as q3tourney4).

vertigo.jpg

Destiny-Vertigo-Above.jpg.optimal.jpg

I really liked Destiny TTK's Vertigo.
Symmetrical map with a hectic B point for Control, an interesting centre with lots of angles and potential confrontations, and some portals to boot. Just lots of interesting ways to handle the map.

Having Mercury's amazing sunfilled skybox, and floating on vex technology really made it a cool map thematically as well.

Top Bottom